California hit by widespread flooding, power outages amid back-to-back storms, Feb 2024

dotr

Reaction score
''The second of back-to-back atmospheric rivers battered California on Sunday, flooding roadways and knocking out power to more than 845,000 people and prompting a rare warning for hurricane-force winds as the state braced for what could be days of heavy rains.

Atmospheric rivers are storms akin to rivers in the sky that dump massive amounts of rain and can cause flooding, trigger mudslides and result in loss of life and enormous property damage.

Sunday's storm inundated streets and brought down trees and electrical lines across the San Francisco Bay Area, where winds topped 96 km/h in some areas. Gusts exceeding 128 km/h were recorded in the mountains.

Just to the south in San Jose, Calif., emergency crews pulled occupants out of the windows of a car stranded by floodwaters and rescued people from a homeless encampment alongside a rising river.''
1707163408856.png
1707163435940.png

''As severe weather or blizzards threaten, this database aggregates power outage information from more than 1,000 companies nationwide. It will automatically update every 15 minutes.

Power outages in last 72 hours''​

Feb. 5, 2024, 2:56 p.m.

Southern California news (I live here :():

It’s coming down pretty hard and steadily all morning since I woke up (I got up at 6, and it’s now 4 hrs later). There’s an area in my backyard that’s like a mini lake! It’s supposed to rain all day. Cross fingers for me.

I‘ve been getting flash flood alerts throughout the morning. A road a couple of miles away closed due to a landslide.

1707244853654.png
''Los Angeles Fire Chief Kristin Crowley said crews have responded to 307 mudslides and five buildings have been deemed uninhabitable since an atmospheric river-fuelled storm moved into the region.

Despite the record-setting rain that has drenched the city and caused widespread flooding, there have been no storm-related deaths reported in Los Angeles, Mayor Karen Bass said at a news conference.

The rain began to ease up on Tuesday after bombarding Los Angeles with nearly half of its seasonal rainfall in just two days. Although the rain was tapering off, forecasters warned of the ongoing threat of potentially deadly landslides.''

''Near the Hollywood Hills, floodwaters carried mud, rocks and household objects downhill through Studio City, city officials said. Sixteen people were evacuated and several homes were red-tagged.

"It looks like a river that’s been here for years," said Keki Mingus, whose neighbours' homes were damaged. "I’ve never seen anything like it."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back