Identified! Canada - Hamilton Ont, "Sam", Senior male, alive in hospital, Sept'20 - Sab Duanopbmmy

dotr

Reaction score
Hamilton Police Appeal for Help in Identifying a Senior
1920_unidentifiedsenior.jpeg

Unidentified Senior
''Hamilton Police are appealing to the public for help identifying a vulnerable senior who has been in a Hamilton hospital since the end of October.

On September 23, 2020, Halton Paramedics and Halton Police transported the male to a Halton hospital after finding him in medical distress. He received treatment and was discharged from hospital on October 29, 2020, and transported to a shelter in the Hamilton area. It was determined the shelter was not the best location for him and he was brought to a Hamilton hospital, where he has been ever since.

Hamilton Police and Hamilton healthcare providers have been working to identify the male and have exhausted all efforts. Through investigation, police have determined he has no known connections to the Hamilton area but may be known within Halton and the broader GTA.

The male responds to the name Sam and was known to frequent GO Station properties in the Halton and Etobicoke area prior to his initial hospitalization.

If you have any information that would assist police in identifying the senior, please call 905-546-2023.''

He looks SE Asian (Filipino, Vietnamese or Indonesian) or Native. Maybe Hispanic.
I hope someone comes forward soon. It seems he was part of the homeless community where many are long estranged from any family.

Just a quick search result, could the UID male be connected in some way with this mp, a Korean man?
10207281.jpg

Sam Noh, with photos of his missing father Shin Ik Noh, who disappeared last Sept. 18. Using social media, Sam Noh, Shawn Bouchard and Michael Coyle have set up a volunteer Silver Alert system to help find people with dementia.

Wayne Leidenfrost / PNG
Group wants official Silver Alert system for seniors
''It was the loss of his father nearly a year ago when he wandered away from his home in Coquitlam that led Sam Noh to team up with two other volunteers to create Silver Alert - a social media alert system to warn when people with dementia go missing. Sam's father Shin Ik Noh, 64 at the time of his disappearance last Sept. 18, suffered from Alzheimer's.

When news got out of his disappearance, people reported seeing the retired pastor but the reports came too late to help search efforts.''

''To compound the tragedy of his disappearance, Shin Noh has never been found. Sam continues to search for him, knowing that his search is now not for his father but for remains that may bring closure for his family.''
New tool to find missing people not enough, says son of pastor with Alzheimer's

• Coquitlam man Shin Ik Noh, 64, went missing in September 2013 and hasn’t been seen since. (Handout)

Actually a very interesting suggestion, each man has similar lower earlobes, right ear, speculation.
Thanks for the feedback, dotr. I noticed what appears to me to be similarities in the ears as well as the nostrils and foreheads in both sets of images. I submitted Mr. Fukawa's information to Crime Stoppers of Hamilton, Inc. Hopefully they'll have whatever info is necessary to do a comparison of "Sam" and Shiego Fukawa.

Abandoned at a Hamilton shelter, his only word is ‘Sam.’ Who is he and where did he come from?

[...]
Now police say they finally know the man’s name: Sab Duanopbmmy. He’s 70-years-old. They know little else beyond that. He is still not speaking.

Const. Dan Fleming, interim Hamilton police social navigator, and Const. Kim Walker, missing person co-ordinator, worked for more than a month just to try to figure out who Sam is. Finally, a search of fingerprints sent to the RCMP turned up a positive match in Edmonton from 1983.

The name looks Lao to me, though the surname poorly spelled. Duanopbmmy looks incorrect - in my experience quite a few of their names end in "..phumy" so maybe it could be Duanophumy or similar? My husband was raised on the Lao/Thai border and speaks a Lao dialect, so I've had quite a bit of exposure to the language over the years, since we have a second home there.

Canada accepted a lot of Lao refugees in the '70s and Sab, which means "good" in Lao, is the right age to have been resettled at that time. I have sent an email to the Lao Association of Ontario and included the link, on the chance that they have not already been consulted to try and find family (noting he was ID some time ago). There are multiple languages spoken in Laos, so even if they have tried one, it may not be the right one.

Last edited:
The name looks Lao to me, though the surname poorly spelled. Duanopbmmy looks incorrect - in my experience quite a few of their names end in "..phumy" so maybe it could be Duanophumy or similar? My husband was raised on the Lao/Thai border and speaks a Lao dialect, so I've had quite a bit of exposure to the language over the years, since we have a second home there.

Canada accepted a lot of Lao refugees in the '70s and Sab, which means "good" in Lao, is the right age to have been resettled at that time. I have sent an email to the Lao Association of Ontario and included the link, on the chance that they have not already been consulted to try and find family (noting he was ID some time ago). There are multiple languages spoken in Laos, so even if they have tried one, it may not be the right one.
Awesome, thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back