Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

With so many victims, I can't imagine that family members of the victims who know the perps won't speak up. We won't likely see the trial though, and possibly the trial might end up with a publication ban if there were child victims in particular. (Hopefully there haven't been child victims!)
If the suspects are members of First Nations will the trial take place on the James Smith Cree Nation or local government? Or will it depend on the locations of the victims?

Ugh and O/T a float plane just crashed on Whidbey Island, 11 miles from my town as the crow flies. Waiting to hear more, so far 1 dead but there was a child onboard. :(

If the suspects are members of First Nations will the trial take place on the James Smith Cree Nation or local government? Or will it depend on the locations of the victims?

Ugh and O/T a float plane just crashed on Whidbey Island, 11 miles from my town as the crow flies. Waiting to hear more, so far 1 dead but there was a child onboard. :(
Sorry to hear this MsMarple. 1 dead and 8 missing. :(

It will be held at the nearest provincial court, I expect, possibly Nipawin or Melfort, Saskatchewan.

With regard to your question about First Nations and how the legal system works, in general my understanding is that First Nations people fall under general Canadian law, but there are special provisions which allow for special considerations, particularly as it relates to sentencing/penalties.

Indigenous People and Sentencing in Canada

"The Criminal Code (Code) was amended by Parliament in 1996 to include section 718.2(e), which requires sentencing judges to consider the unique background and circumstances of Indigenous offenders, as well as all available alternatives to incarceration that may be appropriate. This provision is aimed at reducing the rate of incarceration of Indigenous people in Canada.

The Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) first considered section 718.2(e) in R v. Gladue (1999). In this case, the SCC decided that when sentencing an Indigenous offender, sentencing judges must consider the following: 1) “[t]he unique systemic or background factors which may have played a part in bringing the particular aboriginal offender before the courts”; and 2) “[t]he types of sentencing procedures and sanctions which may be appropriate in the circumstances for the offender because of his or her particular aboriginal heritage or connection.” These considerations are known as the “Gladue principles.” In R v. Ipeelee (2012), the SCC reaffirmed and expanded on the Gladue principles.

The Gladue principles have been applied through a variety of means. Certain jurisdictions have implemented specialized Gladue courts for individuals who identify as Indigenous. Another common method of implementing the Gladue principles is through the preparation and consideration of special reports, known as Gladue reports, that can provide a sentencing judge with information about the background and circumstances of an Indigenous offender, as well as suitable alternatives to incarceration that are available in the community of the offender.

A variety of alternatives to incarceration may be considered by a sentencing judge, such as restorative justice processes or serving a sentence in a healing lodge, which is specifically tailored to Indigenous offenders. Alternative measures (also known as diversion) are an additional option, which allow an accused to avoid prosecution while still holding them responsible for their actions."

BBM

My limited understanding is that for moderate crimes, alternative community solutions can be sought. In this case...I'm guessing that this will not be on the table. Please correct me if I'm wrong, if any of you have specific knowledge, which I clearly don't.

In the presser the Regina Chief of Police was asked if they had extra security at the football game for tonight. He said they did.
(for those that aren't familiar with Saskatchewan or the Canadian Football League, the Saskatchewan Rough Riders are a beloved team in a football-crazed province. Good crowds show up for every game. They are playing tonight, but the game is now into the 4th quarter and so far...all good. )

OT—Weird coincidence. Here in Oregon I’d never heard of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders before, but my husband just happened to be watching the game on his iPad and commenting on the differences between American and Canadian football at the exact moment I saw this tragic story online, mentioning security at the game.

I hope they catch these two murderers before anyone else who gets in their way is killed

OT—Weird coincidence. Here in Oregon I’d never heard of the Saskatchewan Rough Riders before, but my husband just happened to be watching the game on his iPad and commenting on the differences between American and Canadian football at the exact moment I saw this tragic story online, mentioning security at the game.

I hope they catch these two murderers before anyone else who gets in their way is killed

did you tell him the reason for the added security?

I see that the chief of the Chakastapaysin Band and several councillors share the same last name as the two suspects. Perhaps distant relatives?

In response to the "mass casualties" on James Smith Cree Nation the community, along with the Chakastaypasin Band of the Cree Nation and Peter Chapman Band, declared a state of emergency at noon Sunday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...p-dangerous-persons-alert-stabbings-1.6572464
This is so dreadful and frightening.

So many lives lost - likely members of the same families from the mass casualties at the houses at the James Smith Cree Nation.

My heart goes out to all of those families who have lost their loved ones. May they be surrounded by love and support at this unfathomable time.

Well looky here, from May 27, 2022. The mug shot is the same one currently being used:

Myles-Brandon Sanderson - Unlawfully at large - 32 years old, five foot 10, 239 pounds. Last known location was in Saskatoon.

Excerpt:

Weldon resident Diane Shier said she was in her garden Sunday morning when she noticed emergency crews a couple of blocks away.

Shier said her neighbour, a man who lived with his grandson, was killed. She did not want to identify the victim out of respect for his family.

“I am very upset because I lost a good neighbour.”

Weldon resident Robert Rush also described the victim as a gentle, widowed man in his 70s. “He wouldn't hurt a fly.”

He said the victim's adult grandson was in the basement at the time and phoned police.

“He stayed down there until they were gone.”

"It is horrific what has occurred in our province today," Blackmore said, adding there were 13 crime scenes where either deceased or injured people were found.

It is among the deadliest mass killings in Canadian history. The deadliest gun rampage in Canadian history happened in 2020 when a man disguised as a police officer shot people in their homes and set fires across the province of Nova Scotia, killing 22 people. A man used a van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto in 2019. But mass killings are less common in Canada than in the United States.

"If in the Regina area, take precautions & consider sheltering in place. Do not leave a secure location. DO NOT APPROACH suspicious persons. Do not pick up hitch hikers. Report suspicious persons, emergencies or info to 9-1-1. Do not disclose police locations," the RCMP said in a message on Twitter.

Doreen Lees, an 89-year grandmother from Weldon, said she and her daughter thought they saw one of the suspects when a car came barreling down her street early in the morning as her daughter was having coffee on her deck. Lees said a man approached them and said he was hurt and needed help.

But Lees said the man took off and ran after her daughter said she would call for help.

"He wouldn't show his face. He had a big jacket over his face. We asked his name and he kind of mumbled his name twice and we still couldn't get it," she said. "He said his face was injured so bad he couldn't show it."

She said the man was by himself and "kind of a little wobbly."

"I followed him a little ways to see if he was going to be OK. My daughter said 'Don't follow him, get back here.'"

Deadly mass stabbings are more rare than mass shootings but have happened around the world. In 2014, 29 people were slashed and stabbed to death at a train station in China's southwestern city of Kunming. In 2016, a mass stabbing at a facility for the mentally disabled in Sagamihara, Japan, left 19 people dead. A year later, three men killed eight people in a vehicle and stabbing attack at London Bridge.

We've not heard one story yet about victims from James Smith Cree Nation (not surprisingly). I can't imagine what the survivors are going through right now. I hope mental health professionals and spirit doctors from nearby indigenous communities are there to support them in this tragic time! (I'm sure I've described that incorrectly, so my apologies.)

They look like they may be First Nations.
I agree regarding the possibility of membership in a Canadian First Nation tribe.

They may also be Metis. Metis are a group comprising of the descendants of Native Canadians intermarried with French fur trappers. Their native language is a French creole with a good number of native words. Though not a First Nation, Canadian law does recognize them as a "distinct society" with in Canada.

Anyways, there are Metis communities in the Canadian prairie provinces and a small number of Metis are from North Dakota on the US side. Though neither suspect has a French last name or a French first name, perhaps a certain number of Metis have English names?

A woman whose uncle was murdered wrote on Facebook, “These two entered countless houses last night/this morning and stabbed many people, unprovoked and at random.” She posted photos showing that they kicked in a door and stole her brother’s Nissan Rogue. Children were among those attacked, another woman wrote on Facebook.

“My prayers and condolences to the many families of my tribe effected by this tragedy. Such a thoughtless act hurt so many families,” a woman wrote on Facebook.

1662346857006.jpeg

I just got a notification about this. OMG!

I’m having Flashbacks to Nova Scotia. I’m guessing they’re brothers?

Why????(
Why are you guessing they are brothers?
Is there a particular group that targets other particular groups in Canada? Totally in the dark but it sort of appears some are not suprised?!! Please advise...anyone?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back