GUILTY Canada - Alicia Ross, 25, Markham ON, 17 Aug 2005

SewingDeb said:
I'm thankful he finally gave himself up. I wonder about the second degree charges rather than murder one.
In the thread on the Liana White case, this question came up, and a couple of Canadian posters said that in Canada, LE can charge someone with second-degree murder and then move the charge up to first degree if they find evidence of premeditation later on. I don't know if this is definitely a fact or not, but it might explain the second-degree charge, which does seem strange on the surface.

I think, no, I know, I have to apologize to her boyfriend for thinking he may be guilty of harming her...I am thankful he wasn't but sad for the pain he and Alicia's parent s and family must be enduring right now. God Bless you all!

It makes you wonder if the predator was waiting in her apartment when she arrived home, as it was only 15 minutes later, according to her boyfriend that he tried her cell phone and received no response. If so, it is a terrifying reality to think that you are not even safe in your parent's own home- albeit in the basement apartment. At least the guilt got the best of him- the b!#%&ard!:razz:

Mimi said:
I think, no, I know, I have to apologize to her boyfriend for thinking he may be guilty of harming her...I am thankful he wasn't but sad for the pain he and Alicia's parent s and family must be enduring right now. God Bless you all! :

You aren't the only one who owes him an apology, Mimi. Me too.

Sorry. :silenced:

Prayers to Alicia's family and friends.

fran

Its sad that we all jump to it being the signifigant other. I too had my suspisions on him. I am very sorry and hope that his reputation is now cleared and he can have some closure on this as well as the family.

fran said:
You aren't the only one who owes him an apology, Mimi. Me too.

Sorry. :silenced:

Prayers to Alicia's family and friends.

fran
Me three ... he was acting so odd.
My God, the neighbor?? Ahhh nooooo :(
I am so, so so sad for Alicia and her family.
This is terrible. :(

That is WHO I thought she looked like too. I just couldn't place the name.

I fail to see how this is anything like the Scott Peterson, case, no comparison at all.

None........

Alicia worked at a computer company, on a contract basis

She was not married,

She lived at home.....

The accussed was a neighbour, who surrendered to the Police on a voluntary basis

She was not pregnant

She had a boyfriend.........

Her remains were not found in water

Her husband did not murder her.....

She was not murdered so her husband could throw away his family responsibility to be single and to have an affair.........

There is no comparison..........

Here remains found 2 different areas? Good Lord.

mic730 said:
Here remains found 2 different areas? Good Lord.

That is what I am wondering about. My gosh, what did he do to her?! I don't know why but it just shocked me when I read that Alicia's body had been found. I guess deep down some place I really hoped that she was still alive even though I knew she probably wasn't.

Alicia talked to her mother after she got home. The creep must have come and knocked on her basement door right after her mom went upstairs. He was a neighbor so she probably opened the door without any fear. I wonder how her sandels got left behind. She must have stepped outside to talk to him and then he grabbed her. Why did he do that??? I wonder how well he knew the family and if he was married living with his wife and kids next door.

I feel so bad for Alicia's family. I can imagine what they are going through tonight. So darn young with everything going for her. I want to know just why the killer did that. I know he is a sick S.O.B. but why did he decide to go over to her house and murder her? I wonder if guilt got the best of him or he knew LE was on his trail and it was only a matter of time before they arrested him. I really hate this.

Mellen said:
In the thread on the Liana White case, this question came up, and a couple of Canadian posters said that in Canada, LE can charge someone with second-degree murder and then move the charge up to first degree if they find evidence of premeditation later on. I don't know if this is definitely a fact or not, but it might explain the second-degree charge, which does seem strange on the surface.

Thank you for explaining that.

I need to add my apologies to the others for suspecting her boyfriend. I am actually relieved it was not him and I am so glad the real perp had a conscience and spoke up.

So do we have any more information on her killer? How long had he lived there? Was he married? What was his motivation??? This is so sad. The thought of living next door to the person who did this is horrendous. Reminds me of poor Jessica and the monster so close by.

http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/09/22/1230269-sun.html

MARKHAM -- In the quiet community where Alicia Ross lived, her accused killer who lived next door was a mystery to many neighbours.
No one interviewed yesterday by the Sun had much to say about Daniel Sylvester, 31, who lives in the Bronte Rd. home with his elderly mom, Olga.

Leon Friedman used to cut the lawn of the home the Sylvesters bought for $595,000 in 1997, but only remembers seeing the accused once or twice over the years.

And he certainly doesn't know anything about the man.

Another resident who has lived on the street since 1985 and next door to Sylvester said he may have seen him twice in all the years.

A woman who lives across the street said she has never seen Sylvester and was curious to see his picture in the paper.

DAD WROTE BOOK

However, the accused's father, Grant Sylvester, was well-known in the financial services business, and with another son, Robert, was a best-selling author of The Money Jar.

Grant Sylvester, 68, died of cancer in February 1999. Besides his wife and sons, he was also survived by his daughter, Theresa, and at the time had five grandchildren.

Grant Sylvester, who wrote numerous articles on money matters, was co-founder of independent financial planning firm Money Concepts (Canada) Ltd., which at his death managed about $2 billion in assets.

HUMANITARIAN AWARD

He also was chairman of the Federation of Independent Mutual Fund Dealers. The accomplished Manitoba native was a governor of the Canadian Hall of Sports and received the 1999 Humanitarian award from his alma mater, Athol Murray College of Notre Dame of Wilcox, Sask.

But yesterday, none of his Markham neighbours recalled ever having seen the father.

"I don't know nothing" about the neighbours, said Rabbi Abraham Poltkin.

A couple leaving the Ross' home last night would only say they "don't know why it was the neighbour and he always wasn't the nicest neighbour.

"But no, we really don't know anything. You have to ask the family."

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2005/09/22/1229792-sun.html

MARKHAM -- The fading hope for Alicia Ross' safe return disappeared altogether yesterday as investigators recovered the missing 25-year-old woman's dismembered remains just hours after her next-door neighbour turned himself in to police, spurred by what his lawyer described as a fit of conscience.
A missing-persons case that had gone cold suddenly turned into a red-hot homicide probe late Tuesday when Daniel Sylvester, 31, who lives with his mother in the house next to the victim's, surrendered to police and was charged with second-degree murder, York Region Const. Tom Carrique told a news conference.

Hours later, police discovered remains in two locations that they're confident are those of Ross, who vanished more than a month ago from the backyard of the home she shared with her parents.

"We believe the remains are those of Alicia Ross," Carrique said.

Police offered no details, but Ontario's chief coroner confirmed the remains were found near the town of Manilla, about 50 km northeast of Markham, and also at the Sylvester family cottage near the town of Coboconk, another 40 km north.

Sylvester, clad in a white T-shirt and grey sweatpants, looked drawn and nervous during a brief court appearance in nearby Newmarket where he was remanded into custody and ordered to appear again today for a bail hearing.

Sylvester, who had nothing to say in court, is "feeling great remorse," said his lawyer, David Hobson, who also noted that police had "no evidence to support a conviction" at the time of his client's surrender.

'NEEDED CLOSURE'

"His conscience got the better of him. He is feeling that the family next door needed closure. He feels that another person may have been unjustly prosecuted," Hobson said. "And for other reasons, that I can't explain at this time but will become evident in the course of time, it was his firm instructions to me that he wished to get this matter over with and be heard in a court of law."

"It's scary to know there's a monster right there," said a neighbour who lives across the street of the Fortis-Ross home.

Picture of defendent with this story: http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=22146695-9341-4d4b-aa18-0d94439966b7

With his sturdy build and well-kept if thick shock of black hair, 31-year-old Daniel Sylvester, the man charged with second-degree murder in the death of Alicia Ross, looked out of place yesterday in the prisoner's box.
He is, after all, a son of privilege, whose father, Grant Sylvester, wrote best-selling books on how to manage money and who, by all accounts, practised what he preached.

But there Mr. Sylvester was, trotted out by officers with his hands manacled before him and led to the glass box, where he sat down, levelled his gaze upon a point somewhere far away in the courtroom -- and then did not stir.

He is, beyond his dark, heavy eyebrows and sullen, nervous look, the boy next door, with his white GAP shirt and grey sweatpants.

He has lived, since his father's death in 1999, on affluent Bronte Road, apparently alone with his mother, Olga.

Neighbours refer to the pair as "the Russians."

He attended the same high school -- Thornlea Secondary School -- as his alleged victim, Ms. Ross, but was more than five years older than she, living at No. 5 Bronte Rd. while she lived at No. 3.

The two families had quarrelled in the past over the driveway where Sharon and Julius Fortis and their children, including Ms. Ross, park their cars.

Headlights at night penetrated their living room, the Sylvesters complained, requesting that family members shut their lights when pulling in.

One neighbour, who refused to give his name, said the Sylvesters kept almost entirely to themselves. "I knew the Rosses, but I didn't know them at all," said the man who lives across the street from both families. "Nobody on the street did. You would see them coming and going -- that's all."

Meanwhile, a receptionist at a branch of Money Concepts in Streetsville confirmed that Robert Sylvester, a certified financial planner at the firm, was the brother of the man charged in the slaying of Ms. Ross.

Money Concepts (Canada) Ltd. was co-founded in 1984 by Grant Sylvester, Mr. Sylvester's father.

The business, with $2.5-billion in assets and 60 offices across the country, is now controlled by a global financial services firm based in the Netherlands.

The late Mr. Sylvester was a well-known name in the Canadian financial services industry.

He was a best-selling author, who wrote The Money Jar and other books on finance and money management, published reports say.

He also appeared on television and radio programs and served on the boards of several industry groups.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050922.walicia0922/BNStory/National/

Markham, Ont. — To borrow from the Irish writer Oscar Wilde, something was dead in each of them, and what was dead was hope.
It was dead in the three York Regional Police officers -- Chief Armand La Barge, Inspector Tom Carrique and Detective Constable Ian Hill -- who went knocking on the door of the pretty house on Bronte Road, and so was it dead for Sharon and Julius Fortis, and the great sprawling clan they built from the remnants of their two families, the instant that door was opened.

It was 8 o'clock yesterday morning, the 36th day since Alicia Ross was last seen alive, then bursting with excitement about the tomorrow that never came, when she was to have taken on new responsibilities -- and a protégé -- at Hewlett-Packard, the computer company where she worked and had found her feet.

"If God had said to me, 25 years ago, 'I have a baby for you, and you will love her and she will love you, for 25 years, but then you'll have to give her back,' knowing Alicia and what a beautiful woman she became, I would have said 'Yes,' " Mrs. Fortis wrote hours later in an e-mail.

"But God didn't give me the choice, and I wasn't prepared to give her back, not this way."

This way was the remains of her beloved daughter -- adopted as was Mrs. Fortis's 22-year-old son Jamie -- being found in two disparate places about 55 kilometres apart, the first south of the small Ontario town of Manilla, the second near Coboconk, cottage country, close to Four Mile Lake, where it turns out the brother of the man accused of killing Alicia has a place and is involved with the cottagers' association.
This way was a next-door neighbour, 31-year-old Daniel Sylvester from the house right beside the Fortis home, being charged with second-degree murder.

And this way was, as Mrs. Fortis said in her note yesterday, more than four weeks of subsisting on the gruel that is hope against hope: Who knew such thin offerings could feed so many?

"We suffered for so long and she lay there for so long," Mrs. Fortis wrote.

"If only he'd just left her there," she said, "so we'd find her in the morning and put her to rest properly."

Sources have told The Globe and Mail that when Mr. Sylvester showed up at York Regional Police district headquarters at 5 p.m. on Tuesday with his lawyer David Hobson, he allegedly told police he had first put the body of the girl next door at the Manilla location, this the very night she vanished into the darkness, and then, weeks later, returned to the site to retrieve the young woman's body and take it to Four Mile Lake.

Mr. Sylvester, Mr. Hobson said yesterday, voluntarily surrendered himself after struggling for "some long period of time" with overwhelming remorse.

"His conscience got the better of him," Mr. Hobson told reporters in a remarkably blunt interview. "He's feeling that the family next door needed closure. . . . He regretted deeply that he had been responsible for no closure on the part of the deceased's family. That weighed on his conscience terribly."

The young man, Mr. Hobson said, was also afraid "another person might have been unjustly prosecuted, and for other reasons which I can't explain at this time, but will become evident in the course of time, it was his firm instructions to me that he wished to get this matter over with."

This may have been a reference to Sean Hine, Ms. Ross's boyfriend of six weeks, who had reported her missing and who was from time to time over the course of the police probe described as "a person of interest."

Sources say that Mr. Sylvester, who lived with his widowed mother Olga -- his father, Grant, a financial planner who was also a popular author, died in 1999 -- remained at the police station for eight hours, and that at the end of a lengthy statement, in which he allegedly said he had quarrelled with Ms. Ross, took detectives to the two makeshift burial sites.

That there are two locations, and that Ms. Ross's body was at one or another for so long, will complicate the formal identification of her remains. Officials with the Office of the Chief Coroner of Ontario -- Dr. Barry McLellan and forensic anthropologist Kathy Gruspier -- were at the sites yesterday, but weren't sure that the postmortem could begin today.

That Mr. Sylvester, who looked yesterday at his brief court appearance as though he had walked out of a commercial for the Gap shirt he was wearing -- younger than his years and clean-cut handsome -- is charged with second-degree murder means police aren't alleging the slaying was either planned or deliberate, the requisite elements for first-degree homicide.

As a three-day-old infant, Alicia Ross's face was so perfectly round and fat, Mrs. Fortis actually wondered whether she had a chin, but she emerged at the end of what her mom once called, with a grin, an "interesting adolescence" as a slim, lovely, long-legged young woman who loved the warmth of the sun on her skin.

On a trip to Australia, where she was so desperate for work she handed out flyers on the beach, Ms. Ross learned stick-to-it-iveness, and but for a phone call home, which saw her mom wire money into her account so she "could have a good meal and go to sleep" and give her the advice that "tomorrow is another day," she stuck it out, found work on her own, and was all but adopted by her new Aussie friends.

She was a generous and loyal young woman, never forgetting the high-school sweetheart, Greg Rogers, who died in a car accident, and remembering to stay in touch with his shattered parents.

Over the early weeks after her disappearance, when police were conducting a massive search in her neighbourhood, the evidence of Ms. Ross's kind heart was there for all to see in the dozens and dozens of young people her age who faithfully turned up to help look for her, faces pale and weary beneath the golden tans of midsummer.

Three years ago, Ms. Ross was a tripper -- she was a child of the great outdoors, forever camping or hiking or canoeing -- at a camp called White Pine in Algonquin Park when a little boy was discovered to be missing.

On her own, with a sprained ankle, she tore seven kilometres back through the bush until she found him, off the path the campers had taken.

"She found him," Mrs. Fortis told me proudly weeks ago, when hope still filled her battered heart. "She brought him back."

I offered that perhaps this was synchronicity of some sort, and that it would mean Alicia would be found, too, and brought back, safe and alive. I was sorry as soon as the words were out of my mouth.

"I guess," she wrote yesterday, "Alicia wasn't the one girl, the one time, to come home."

scary how normal he looks! i was not picturing correctly at all!

From the articles I read, this guy was an angry, irritated, frustrated man:banghead: and he took it all out on poor Alicia who was in the wrong place at the wrong time....man o man...someone must have seen this anger building out of control...it upsets me so much to think this could have been prevented from medication or therapy...I know, I know, I only know what I read in the media and I acknowledge that...but that is all I have to go on, so for now, that is how I feel- once again something or someone has fallen through the cracks and destroyed the lives of so many, including his I might add- not that I have ANY sympathy for him...but it makes you ponder does it not?:waitasec:

My Prayers for Alicia's family. What a beautiful courageous,intelligent girl she was. So loved by her family & friends,& loving people right back. She was everything the killer was not. He 's so angry at the world because he is a loser ,incapable of interacting with people, of making friends,of happiness. :loser:
This lovely human being is gone because we don't recognize the evil beside us. How can we....they look so normal ,but what is normal?????? :furious:

He said that him and Alicia got into an arguement...I wonder what that was over. He must have come over not long after she got home that night. Maybe it bothered him because she had a lot of friends, had a great job, had a boyfriend, did fun things...her life was everything that his wasn't. Maybe he had been eyeing her and she didn't return the interest.

From what his attorney said I gathered that this guy wasn't sorry that he murdered Alicia...he was concerned that her family didn't know where she was...no closure....and that someone who was innocent might get arrested for the murder. Maybe I'm wrong because his attorney did mention remorse but he didn't say anything about him wishing he hadn't done it.

At first I thought the guy had dismembered the body but then he talked about moving it from one place to some place else. Maybe they meant there were two crime scenes. I hope that is what he meant anyway.

He looks like a nice looking guy. As they say a killer doesn't always look like a killer. I'm curious about him. Wonder why he still lived with his mom...did he work...date..have any kind of a life? Sounds like him and mom isolated but the brother ran the business or worked there anyway and didn't still live at home. This guy must have been the baby of the family. A sad thing all the way around. If this guy had big problems it is a shame he didn't get help. Maybe mom was in denial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back