Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that there is a lot of gov't money available to cover the costs that families incur when a family member is a victim of a violent crime.

I agree. IMO this has gotten out of hand in the last year.

WAY out of hand.

There is money... they have access to it and are working with victim services. They aren't even asking for money. I know that people are doing it out of the good of their hearts... but I hate the thought of people going without to give people that have funds their money.

It seems that there is a lot of gov't money available to cover the costs that families incur when a family member is a victim of a violent crime.

I think it is human nature for people to look for some kind of respite/distraction from their grief. In our society, money is a remedy for a lot of things. I am always a bit put off when I hear the family of a victim is launching a huge lawsuit to 'prevent the same thing from happening again'
or to punish an organization, and gain financially from the loss. I don't know if this qualifies as the same thing, the gesture is from good people offering the only thing they believe will help somehow.
Money is not going to make this go away, only the many stages of the grieving process can heal those involved.

I wonder if death certificates have been issued.

I agree. IMO this has gotten out of hand in the last year.

WAY out of hand.

There is money... they have access to it and are working with victim services. They aren't even asking for money. I know that people are doing it out of the good of their hearts... but I hate the thought of people going without to give people that have funds their money.

The website that has raised $42,000 is organized by a neighbour of the Obriens and was done with the support of Nathan's father ... so I wouldn't go so far as to say that the family is not asking for money.

The website that has raised $42,000 is organized by a neighbour of the Obriens and was done with the support of Nathan's father ... so I wouldn't go so far as to say that the family is not asking for money.

That is true, he spoke to them. So he has support... he just isn't hollering from the rooftops like LS's family did for every single expense they have.

I think it is human nature for people to look for some kind of respite/distraction from their grief. In our society, money is a remedy for a lot of things.
Like Otto, I am always a bit put off when I hear the family of a victim is launching a huge lawsuit to 'prevent the same thing from happening again'
or to punish an organization, and gain financially from the loss.
Money is not going to make this go away, only the many stages of the grieving process can heal those involved.

Money seems to be at the root of these murders. We have the long, unusual financial history of the Liknes couple that was unearthed when they were still considered missing. Everything about the finances raised red flags. We have the suspect that apparently had business dealings with Winter Petroleum, or a patent design, and may have committed the murders because he was not compensated. We know that there are gov't funds for funeral/memorial costs, loss of income, and to cover expenses while recovering from a murder in the family. We know that the Obriens are connected with the request for online fundraising, and we know that there are six adult Liknes children that are eligible for the victim assistance compensation.

There's also the house that was sold for $703,000, possibly a house in Evansburg or Edmonton, and possibly a condo in Mexico.

Hopefully the donations will make life a little easier.

That is true, he spoke to them. So he has support... he just isn't hollering from the rooftops like LS's family did for every single expense they have.

Who is LS?

Money seems to be at the root of these murders. We have the long, unusual financial history of the Liknes couple that was unearthed when they were still considered missing. Everything about the finances raised red flags. We have the suspect that apparently had business dealings with Winter Petroleum, or a patent design, and may have committed the murders because he was not compensated. We know that there are gov't funds for funeral/memorial costs, loss of income, and to cover expenses while recovering from a murder in the family. We know that the Obriens are connected with the request for online fundraising, and we know that there are six adult Liknes children that are eligible for the victim assistance compensation.

There's also the house that was sold for $703,000, possibly a house in Evansburg or Edmonton, and possibly a condo in Mexico.

You forgot the $100,000 reward they were going to offer as well.

I suppose that's the next issue: how is the money divided amongst the victims.

We have all learned that money breeds trouble. I am thinking that this money coming in will only make things worse in the long run.

A "like" wasn't enough for this, otto. I agree wholeheartedly. This case is all about money, from the estate sale on day one right on through the donations. JMO - I get such a terrible feeling from all of it.

I would feel differently if the family was directing any donations towards something specific that was special for Nathan - a bench in the courtyard at the hospital where he was born, a mural or new equipment for the school where he attended kindergarten, a scholarship in his hockey organization, an addition to his favourite neighborhood playground, etc.

I wonder everyday how Nathan's older brother, L, is doing. He is at such a tender age, turning 12 next month. I would gladly donate funds if I knew they would be going towards additional private counseling for L.

We have all learned that money breeds trouble. I am thinking that this money coming in will only make things worse in the long run.

I know it seems taboo to talk about the donations, but I think it's important. Given all the money issues that have arisen with the case, and given that there are funds available, as Otto pointed out, from the government to help in these cases, and given that the parents have good benefits at work, I think it is only right to question or at least bring up the topic and discuss it just as WS discusses all other aspects of the case.

I realize that people want to help and that money is the measure of much in our society. And, given the devastating nature of the crime, naturally people want to reach out and care for the parents and family. However, there is always the thought in the back of some people's minds that this may not be the best solution.

Just because something's done with good intent, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

JMVHO Just my very humble opinion, and observations.

You forgot the $100,000 reward they were going to offer as well.

Some of this seems kinda fishy. I don't know much about bankruptcy but I do know that, with poor choices when we were younger, credit can effect being able to buy houses and such. I have kinda been wondering (since I read the timeline) how they have their Calgary home (which seems to give the air of being well off), a new house in Edmonton, and the property in Mexico (I know that hasn't been confirmed as theirs) but even just to afford to go to Mexico for a short holiday let alone an extended period of time would cost as well. I mean no disrespect to the family but in DG's eyes, this could very well make them seem like they should be able to of compensated for this help on the patent. Even if it was acknowledgement that he was after, he could see them as not giving him what he thinks his help was worth... and fueled the anger.

Also in regards to DG's parents. I was under the impression they were in their 80's. I don't know many, if any, 80 year olds that go camping, especially for any extended amount of time. No matter how fit, involved in the community they may be I think it is strange that they would be camping. (maybe just me but if the RCMP don't even know if they have returned home do they even know where they are?) We have heard nothing about his parents. Does anyone know their names? And as far as comments on them knowing about his criminal activities, such as the meth lab, I believe they were either afraid of him or else they truly didn't know what was going on. I think most parents can be very easily deceived by only seeing what they want to in their children. He sounds like a very smooth talker and would be able to convince them that nothing is wrong, or he is doing nothing wrong and maybe they just believed him. That they were away the last few weeks, they very well could of not had a clue as to what he was up to. I just really find it odd that if they really are camping, why wouldn't they of ended their camping trip early when they heard this was all happening and come home. Would they really just go on with their holidays if they knew the police were raiding their home (a home they have owned for a lot of their life???) It just seems strange in my opinion...

I know it seems taboo to talk about the donations, but I think it's important. Given all the money issues that have arisen with the case, and given that there are funds available, as Otto pointed out, from the government to help in these cases, and given that the parents have good benefits at work, I think it is only right to question or at least bring up the topic and discuss it just as WS discusses all other aspects of the case.

I realize that people want to help and that money is the measure of much in our society. And, given the devastating nature of the crime, naturally people want to reach out and care for the parents and family. However, there is always the thought in the back of some people's minds that this may not be the best solution.

Eloquently said. I agree wholeheartedly.

A "like" wasn't enough for this, otto. I agree wholeheartedly. This case is all about money, from the estate sale on day one right on through the donations. JMO - I get such a terrible feeling from all of it.

I would feel differently if the family was directing any donations towards something specific that was special for Nathan - a bench in the courtyard at the hospital where he was born, a mural or new equipment for the school where he attended kindergarten, a scholarship in his hockey organization, an addition to his favourite neighborhood playground, etc.

I wonder everyday how Nathan's older brother, L, is doing. He is at such a tender age, turning 12 next month. I would gladly donate funds if I knew they would be going towards additional private counseling for L.

Well said and I agree 100%!

You gave some great examples of how the money could be used. I would also feel more comfortable donating if the family made clear their intentions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!!!! I completely agree!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. A lasting memorial would be a lovely gesture.

Something about this case et al that we the general public are not aware of has me feeling uneasy. Just cant verbalize it properly and respectfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708