Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, they are very conspicuous in their silence.
I have to question whether they knew their son was manufacturing drugs on the homestead back then, and whether they were silently enabling him.

It's quite possible that his parents reported their son to authorities when they learned what he was doing. It's quite possible that he was arrested prior to putting any drugs on the streets.

Who is to say he doesn't travel in those circles? And that he couldn't call on his contacts, or they call on him to perform various duties ? I think we'd be remiss if we didn't consider the HA and other gangs as connections to this.

Sure, let's look at the Hell's Angels gang. What did they have to do with the three murders in Parkhill? Did a loser from Airdrie tell the gang to kill a five year old child, so they did?

I'm sure the Garlands are heartbroken. They also seem like pretty private people. I cannot imagine their anguish, with their son in jail accused of murdering members of their son-in-law's family. Their daughter must be suffering terribly as well, and I know as a parent I would be suffering right along.

Sure, let's look at the Hell's Angels gang. What did they have to do with the three murders in Parkhill? Did a loser from Airdrie tell the gang to kill a five year old child, so they did?

I don't think there is any direct connection between gangs and the murders, just that folks are interested in delving into DG's lifestyle in general and wondering what his affiliations may have been as a result of his criminal past.

Last night I put up this post http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...June-2014-*ARREST*-11&p=10803364#post10803364

because I am really confused about the two first degree charges, and the crime map, and the second degree charge for NO.

It seems to me it should be 3 first degree charges. Does anyone actually understand all of this legal codes? I get so lost trying to make sense of it.

The child was not supposed to be there, therefore there was no plan to murder the child. That is, the charge is that the accused made a plan to deliberately murder the grandparents. He went to the house to commit those murders. He did not have a plan to murder the child, as he had no idea that the child was there. If he had no plan to murder the grandparents, the child would still be alive. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that the child was kidnapped, therefore a first degree charge does not apply.

It's possible that, in laying charges, the prosecutor looked at what could be directly proven. A first degree murder charge for the child could be heavily litigated, perhaps even derailing the entire case into a debate about whether that murder falls under the definition of first degree murder. At the same time, perhaps it can be cleared proven that the murders of the grandparents were planned and deliberate. A first degree murder conviction for the murders of the grandparents will put the accused in prison for the remainder of his life, and a second degree conviction for the murder of the child is simply an extension of those convictions ... because he was there at the time of the murders, and he vanished at the time of their murders.

I wonder if the intent was to kidnap the child. I also wonder if there were paid assassins. The child could still be alive somewhere. This whole thing has meth lab and mexico drug lords written all over it. The businesses were just a front. This is my opinion. He has a history of this and has connections to bad people.
Paid assassins? Mexican drug lords? Please explain.

Last night I put up this post http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...June-2014-*ARREST*-11&p=10803364#post10803364

because I am really confused about the two first degree charges, and the crime map, and the second degree charge for NO.

It seems to me it should be 3 first degree charges. Does anyone actually understand all of this legal codes? I get so lost trying to make sense of it.

Nathan was not part of his plan. Was not premeditated - thus second degree.
They must have proof the Grandma and Grandpa were preplanned - therefore first degree.

Who is to say he doesn't travel in those circles? And that he couldn't call on his contacts, or they call on him to perform various duties ? I think we'd be remiss if we didn't consider the HA and other gangs as connections to this.
Motorcycle clubs don't usually go outside there own ranks. They handle all their business internally. Unless someone can show me that DG is secretly a biker, then I'm not convinced this line of thought has merit.

It's quite possible that his parents reported their son to authorities when they learned what he was doing. It's quite possible that he was arrested prior to putting any drugs on the streets.

Nothing turns on information regarding the elderly parents of DG.
Except perhaps allowing for a clearer view of who DG might be and that may help lead to answers to other questions

Jumping off my own post .. found another hit for Ranchland Equipment Ltd dated Aug 15 2013 where DG was looking to purchase zinc phosphide, so company was apparently operating 2000 thru 2013:

http://www.chemnet.com/Global/Offer-to-Buy/Zinc-phosphide-260509.html

So 13 years and nobody on the www had anything to say about DG's companies ?? Maybe this guy is just a legend in his own mind.
It has been mentioned and linked several times that DG was involved in trade of mercury, sodium, and zinc phosphate.....take a lookee here.

BBM.

Metal phosphides have been used as rodenticides. A mixture of food and zinc phosphide is left where the rodents can eat it. The acid in the digestive system of the rodent reacts with the phosphide to generate the toxic phosphine gas.Zinc phosphide will react with water to produce phosphine (PH3) and zinc hydroxide (Zn(OH)2):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_phosphide

Phosphine

may also be generated during the illegal manufacture of methamphetamine
http://books.google.com/books?id=8W...Q6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=methamphetamine&f=false

In the case of methamphetamine labs utilizing the phenyl-2-propanone method of manufacture, mercury and lead may also be common contaminants.
http://health.utah.gov/meth/html/EMS/Whatisknown.html

A Little History

Prior to the early 1980's, most clandestine manufacture of methamphetamine used phenyl-2-propanone (also called P2P) as the starting material. Other chemicals required were methylamine, mercuric chloride, aluminum foil or aluminum wire, isopropanol, sodium hydroxide, a suitable solvent, salt, and acid (e.g. hydrochloric acid). Other variations used some different chemicals. A typical recipe [from: Dallosta, K.L., Clandestine Laboratory Manual, Sacramento CA, Western States Information Network, 1985] involved the following steps:

First mix isopropanol and sodium hydroxide in a reaction vessel. Add mercuric chloride and aluminum foil. Then heat the mixture to boiling.
Add P2P and methylamine and boil for four hours.
Pass reaction mixture through filter paper to remove contaminants.
Apply heat to filtered reaction product to remove excess methylamine
Salt wash the product (to kill the mercury), followed by acidification, which forms crystals of methamphetamine hydrochloride. The methamphetamine is purified by re-dissolving in a solvent using a separator funnel and recrystallized.
http://www.aristatek.com/newsletter/0511november/techspeak.aspx

When users smoke, inject or snort meth, these are the most common ingredients they are sending to their brain, cardiovascular system and throughout their bodies:

Gasoline additives/Rubbing Alcohol
Ether (starting fluid)
Benzene
Paint thinner
Freon
Acetone
Chloroform
Camp stove fuel
Anhydrous ammonia
White gasoline
Pheynl-2-Propane
Phenylacetone
Phenylpropanolamine
Rock, table or Epsom salt Red Phosphorous
Toluene (found in brake cleaner)
Red Devil Lye
Drain cleaner
Muraitic acid

Battery acid
Lithium from batteries
Sodium metal
Ephedrine
Cold tablets
Diet aids
Iodine
Bronchodialators
Energy boosters
Iodine crystals
other ingredients used in the cooking are that of the skull-and-cross bone labels: lye, rat poison, battery acid, and various chemicals such as acetone and gasoline.
http://www.usnodrugs.com/ingredients-meth.htm

Where Crystal Meth is Made

Crystal meth is made in laboratories of all sizes across the world. Industrial level labs create massive amounts of meth with a routine procedure. Smaller labs produce for a local area, and may try different methods. Some users have been able to fit a meth lab into a small suitcase, and make the drug while driving. All across the country, meth is made in many small labs, but California and the Pacific Northwest are the largest producers of meth in the country. According to intelligence agencies, meth cooks teach on average ten other people each year how to cook the drug, spreading the knowledge and danger.
http://www.thehillscenter.com/addiction/meth/what-is-it-made-of/

I recall LE saying that the landfills have camera that take pictures of the vehicles that come and go but they did not specifically say DGs truck was seen on camera. I can't find this link. Does anyone have it?

I recall LE saying that the landfills have camera that take pictures of the vehicles that come and go but they did not specifically say DGs truck was seen on camera. I can't find this link. Does anyone have it?
I don't recall who said it but there are signs at the landfills in Calgary that inform you of just that.

Nothing turns on information regarding the elderly parents of DG.
Except perhaps allowing for a clearer view of who DG might be and that may help lead to answers to other questions

Given that the accused is a 54 year old man, I think it's possible to get a clear view of who he is without looking at his parents, grandparents, siblings and other relatives. If he was a child, most certainly his family circumstances would be relevant. As an adult with a long criminal history, he alone is responsible for his actions and decisions.

I suspect that police have interviewed the accused's parents to better understand his personality. We've heard that he was a loner, so it's quite likely that his only social contact with people was his parents. It's quite possible that the accused complained bitterly to his parents about his business dealings with his sister's in-laws. If that's the case, the parents of the accused will be crown witnesses during trial. Their history is not in question, but they probably have information about the accused that is relevant to the case.

The child was not supposed to be there, therefore there was no plan to murder the child. That is, the charge is that the accused made a plan to deliberately murder the grandparents. He went to the house to commit those murders. He did not have a plan to murder the child, as he had no idea that the child was there. If he had no plan to murder the grandparents, the child would still be alive. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that the child was kidnapped, therefore a first degree charge does not apply.

It's possible that, in laying charges, the prosecutor looked at what could be directly proven. A first degree murder charge for the child could be heavily litigated, perhaps even derailing the entire case into a debate about whether that murder falls under the definition of first degree murder. At the same time, perhaps it can be cleared proven that the murders of the grandparents were planned and deliberate. A first degree murder conviction for the murders of the grandparents will put the accused in prison for the remainder of his life, and a second degree conviction for the murder of the child is simply an extension of those convictions ... because he was there at the time of the murders, and he vanished at the time of their murders.

Yes but the crime map only shows 2 homicides. So if NO left the property alive, it would have been a kidnapping. So do they not have any evidence of NO acutally being dead? None? Zero? He could be alive somewhere and living with gypsies for all we know.

Motorcycle clubs don't usually go outside there own ranks. They handle all their business internally. Unless someone can show me that DG is secretly a biker, then I'm not convinced this line of thought was merit.

I know it's just a TV show but in Breaking Bad they did. How likely is it that an experienced chemist would be in a biker gang?

Why would DG go there himself when he could use any dumpster within a 100 mile (or more) radius of the crime scene.

I know it's just a TV show but in Breaking Bad they did. How likely is it that an experienced chemist would be in a biker gang?
Actually, not saying DG is involved in a biker gang but I think you would be surprised by the background of some of the different people in biker gangs.

Yes but the crime map only shows 2 homicides. So if NO left the property alive, it would have been a kidnapping. So do they not have any evidence of NO actually being dead? None? Zero? He could be alive somewhere and living with gypsies for all we know.

I am sure they have evidence that NO is dead or I don't think they would have laid the 2nd degree charge. Perhaps they have evidence that he was held/killed at the farm? Although I thought that kidnapping and then murder would result in a 1st degree charge.....

Why would DG go there himself when he could use any dumpster within a 100 mile (or more) radius of the crime scene.

I think that the presence of NO totally through him off his game and he panicked and may have made decisions without thinking that night. He had a plan, it got thrown off so maybe his original plan of how to destroy evidence was thrown off too.

I once did a storey on the HA Ride for Sight charity. I met members that were doctors, business leaders, scam-bag street thugs and everything in between. The nature of MC's is highly self-sustaining and autonomous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson