Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that the whole left side of the house with the garage and upper balcony is the addition. They did not build houses like this in 1955.

I don't think so. The house appears to have been built as a four level split.

Split-Level

"An example of a split-level residence in the Denver area. Please click on the image to see a larger version.Often referred to as a tri-level, a split-level is more of a building type than a style. Developed in the 1930s, it emerged in the 1950s as a multi-story counterpart to the dominant one-story Ranch house. Retaining the low pitched roof, overhanging eaves and horizontal lines of the Ranch, these homes added a two-story unit connected at mid-height to a one story section creating three staggered floor levels.

http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/split-level

In a city where there is permafrost, a four level split would make more sense than a three level split, as there would need to be a four foot basement ... so why not make it 8 feet with useful living space.

I wonder if this renovation was done to accommodate additional family members and later then rented out as a mortgage helper? If so, there could be other keys that were made and never returned. People who live in the area would know if they had renters or family living there with AL and KL over the past 17 years.

IIRC didn't CL live with them for awhile? I thought I remember reading that in one of the threads here somewhere. I'm not insinuating anything here, just sayin - that's who else I thought I remember I read had lived there at one time.

From the first plea from the family for the safe return of Nathan and his grandparents:

Son says that parents bought house in Edmonton. The couple planned to spend three months in Edmonton, then move to Mazatlan for an extended stay (length unknown) and then go back to Edmonton.
Daughter says that they planned to winter at property that they bought in Mazatlan (recent purchase)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nathan-o-brien-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198

IIRC didn't CL live with them for awhile? I thought I remember reading that in one of the threads here somewhere. I'm not insinuating anything here, just sayin - that's who else I thought I remember I read had lived there at one time.

His carpet company was registered at the Liknes property.

CL did use that address for a business he was involved in. And from the overhead view of that addition it is not just
an extra room, as there are three vents on the roof top, that look to be those that would be for a bathroom, kitchen exhaust over the stove hood, and possibly a fireplace vent for a gas fireplace. We have those on our roof. So this probably was a suite with those facilities (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom etc). Hence my suggestion that there may be extra keys at least to that suite. Not sure if there is access to the main house from there though, but it's possible, especially if there was a shared laundry room.

CL did use that address for a business he was involved in. And from the overhead view of that addition it is not just
an extra room, as there are three vents on the roof top, that look to be those that would be for a bathroom, kitchen exhaust over the stove hood, and possibly a fireplace vent for a gas fireplace. We have those on our roof. So this probably was a suite with those facilities (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom etc). Hence my suggestion that there may be extra keys at least to that suite. Not sure if there is access to the main house from there though, but it's possible, especially if there was a shared laundry room.

I doubt that there is a secondary suite in the home. Even if there were extra keys, I can't imagine that the Liknes couple would give one to a former employee.

In the last thread, #10, someone asked if there was an expert in body language that could look at DG and do an analysis. Yes, there are people like that for sure. I recall one called Eyes for Lies. She discusses past and current crime cases and gives her opinion. No harm in posting on her forum and asking, I'd say.

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stay-strong-urges-family-of-missing-nathan-o-brien-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198
After listening to this interview, at approx. the 9:10 minute mark, one thing I found a little strange was the fact JO responded 'no comment' to the reporter asking whether the sale was still going on when she left, and what was the last time she saw NO. Is there a possibility she knew that there was somebody coming by to pick stuff up? Not at all victim blaming, just trying to figure out why this question would have received a 'no comment' answer. IMO strange, none the less.

The woman on the far left is one of AL's two daughters. Goes by the name Nancita but believe her name is Nancy. So she is sister to AL jr and EL

I thought Nancita was AL''s (Sr.) sister?

That's Nancy, daughter of AL ... sister of AL jr. her name is different on FB :)

Thanks also for the address correction :) I think the sale price of the house in Dec 2013 still makes sense to me with this Market Value Assessment. Since there would be no real estate fees with a private sale, a guaranteed sale and likely little in the way of legal fees $705K would be fairly good. I'm sure there was likely some updating that needed to be done inside the house as well.

DG didn't know that he had 4 days to be done or that the police were on their way,, so how did he clean up so fast. There are timings that don't make sense; the one above and not being around when JO came around. Was he in the home when CL was calling, and might have heard the answering machine and decided to depart? (yes, people still use answering machines)

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stay-strong-urges-family-of-missing-nathan-o-brien-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198
After listening to this interview, at approx. the 9:10 minute mark, one thing I found a little strange was the fact JO responded 'no comment' to the reporter asking whether the sale was still going on when she left, and what was the last time she saw NO. Is there a possibility she knew that there was somebody coming by to pick stuff up? Not at all victim blaming, just trying to figure out why this question would have received a 'no comment' answer. IMO strange, none the less.

I have asked this exact same question and still it bothers me. Why didn't she just say 10:00 pm when she left as the public knew that. Here are some lingering ideas. 1) Maybe AL and NO were gone somewhere like a store when she left. 2)Maybe she put NO to bed earlier like around 8:00 pm. 3)Maybe DG was even there when she left "talking to AL".

He was PG's brother so even if they did not like him they would not have been afraid of him. Before the murder charges i thought maybe the reason was NO slept through it and she saw him the next morning, however, they had to pretend he was missing due to witness protection for NO so the perpetrator would not come back for him someday. Unfortunately now that is not looking like the case. That would have been the best answer tho because that would have explained why she said no comment if she in fact seen him after 10:00 pm and could not admit it and would explain why it only shows two homicides at that residence. JMO

DG didn't know that he had 4 days to be done or that the police were on their way,, so how did he clean up so fast. There are timings that don't make sense; the one above and not being around when JO came around. Was he in the home when CL was calling, and might have heard the answering machine and decided to depart? (yes, people still use answering machines)

I find it odd that CL was calling that morning and popped over, not knowing his brother was missing. There is something iffy about that.

I don't think so. The house appears to have been built as a four level split.

Split-Level

"An example of a split-level residence in the Denver area. Please click on the image to see a larger version.Often referred to as a tri-level, a split-level is more of a building type than a style. Developed in the 1930s, it emerged in the 1950s as a multi-story counterpart to the dominant one-story Ranch house. Retaining the low pitched roof, overhanging eaves and horizontal lines of the Ranch, these homes added a two-story unit connected at mid-height to a one story section creating three staggered floor levels.

http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/split-level

In a city where there is permafrost, a four level split would make more sense than a three level split, as there would need to be a four foot basement ... so why not make it 8 feet with useful living space.

The 3 level split was introduced in the late 60's, and the 4 level split in the mid 70's. I have never, in 3 active decades in the residential housing industry, seen a 50's split level in Alberta. I think a raised bungalow (bi-level) makes more sense, with the left side of the home, including the garage, being an addition.

I find it odd that CL was calling that morning and popped over, not knowing his brother was missing. There is something iffy about that.

What if Al had known? Received threats or had some inkling that there was danger?
Was there an arrangement? " if I don't answer the phone...come looking?"

What if Al had known? Received threats or had some inkling that there was danger?
Was there an arrangement? " if I don't answer the phone...come looking?"

I hope not. If they were worried about danger why would they let little NO stay over. Each to their own but i would not let my grandchild stay with me if i was worried about danger. But i am not a grandparent yet, so should not say. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow