Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you view the poster's other ads, he finds many items while snorkeling in the elbow river. Worth a look at by family I would say.

Hi Kaley, Can you respond to his ad and suggest your idea?

Does anyone know if AL's family came back from Mexico for this? Or at least his twin brother? I mean if it were my brother missing/murdered i would be on the first flight back. JMO

In all fairness, if it were my family, I would not, on top of the grief and trauma, want to have to deal with 'paparazzi'. I would perceive all the interest as morbid curiosity, and I would be keeping as much private as possible.

sorry if these links have already been posted. I am having a hard time catching up but I found two links re: suspect DG

http://wikiparts.com/index2.php?opt..._id=1&Itemid=103&distributor_id=7752&pdf=lite

http://www.chemnet.com/Global/Offer-to-Buy/Zinc-phosphide-260509.html

Anyone can post to Wiki, or submit a business that doesn't exist or one with fudged earnings on any number of sites "on the internet". Maybe at some point DG was trying to impress the Russian Babes with his level of success. ;)

Leaping back to possible reasons why AL would not have given DG a joint inventorship of the patent on which apparently DG had done some work.

My guess is that AL believed that DG had not done this. It was really important to AL because "incorrectly naming inventors on a patent application can have devastating consequences; the named inventor and possibly the patent owner can lose the patent and all rights associated with it, including the right to the royalty stream generated from any patent licensing." (http://www.rpitechnology.com/files/Getting_Inventorship_Right.pdf)

I think AL may have become convinced that DG was trying to get credit for something he had no right to. And, given DG's history, this was quite possibly true. Even though the pump was produced for Vecto, it was never marketed and did not generate a cash flow.
(http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/)

In terms of patent authorship, if DG had been given clear instructions by AL regarding the work he was to complete (and DG was, in fact, paid for the work), and from those instructions anyone with ordinary skill in the field could have carried out that work, DG would not have been considered a co-inventor.

(http://www.rpitechnology.com/files/Getting_Inventorship_Right.pdf)

As well, if DG believed he had made an independent modification, but had not kept records of his work, and could not provide other proof of his work, he would never have been able to make a case as a co-inventor.

(http://www.rpitechnology.com/files/Getting_Inventorship_Right.pdf)

We don't know which patent Douglas Garland altered. We only know that an earlier version of the patent did not work (there are several).

I have wondered if his companies were legit companies. Does he submit interim income tax payments quarterly and do his GST like the rest of us do? Why two companies? There would be more cost involved with accounting etc. He is asking for chemical through the machinery part company and selling chemicals through the other one.

One thing to keep in mind is that the highways have weather cameras even secondary highways have weather cameras. If LE thought he skipped town the traffic cameras could be reviewed along with weather camera's ect. DG knows back roads well but IMO it would be nearly impossible to avoid any sort of sighting on these sources. Also it would be helpful if they had released mulitple CCTV footage of the vehicle. we know he was at the property several times....either througout the night or evening...did the truck return to the property covered in mud, gravel dust ect. That would let us know which route was likely traveled. I am assuming LE has this info and have already tracked the comings and goings. What stood out to me from the footage of the truck was that the individual was wearing a white Tshirt and a wrist watch....where is that wrist watch? Can his family identify if that wrist watch is his? I do believe LE had focused the investigation on the areas that they have information placing the vehicle or DG himself as opposed to running on a thought or hope that their efforts would pay off. One would not make it very far in an older modle vehicle without stopping for gas, we do not see jerry cans in the back of the truck. My assumption is whatever he did the course of the evening/night he was able to do with 1 tank of gas to avoid being traced fueling up. The farm likely has gas on it I still dont see him getting very far without someone somewhere tracing that vehicle back. IMO
I certainly hope you are right. This may be the basis for the LE confidence that the bodies will be found - they know the routes DG drove on the night in question. Otherwise there would be an awful lot of footage to review - north, south, east and west of Calgary.

To get to a remote dumping site, I don't think DG would have needed to drive far. There are some pretty deserted country roads less than an hour away. For example, north of Cochrane, there are so many little rural roads. It would have been a very minor detour home to Airdrie for DG to swing through that area and dispose of the evidence.

So I hope you're right, and that DG's travel route is know to LE.

I have wondered if his companies were legit companies. Does he submit interim income tax payments quarterly and do his GST like the rest of us do? Why two companies? There would be more cost involved with accounting etc. He is asking for chemical through the machinery part company and selling chemicals through the other one.

Garland's company websites appear to little more than shells ... I had the same impression when looking at some of the websites (via wayback machine) for the Liknes companies.

Is the white spot near the window the broken mirror that neighbours mentioned, or is the window open and that's an elbow poking out the window? I don't see a wrist watch.

Judging by the shadow being cast on the ground, I would suggest the white in the image seems to me to be a reflection of sunlight being projected from behind the vehicle.

From work experience (can't actually say where online due to my code of conduct) I did a project with non-filing corporations and you would be amazed at how many people start corps and never do business with them. You only have to register for and remit GST if your annual sales surpass $30K. You can also register and file before that threshold, you might do this if you're starting up and have GST on purchases and you would like to receive the credits. A lot of people incorporate without understanding the implication .... generally someone has told them they need to incorporate. In Alberta in the construction industry you come across a lot of people who were told they had to incorporate and the contractors do this to avoid having to pay Worker's Compensation. Then the poor workers have no idea that they have to remit their own taxes, charge, file and remit GST, T2 returns and pay their own worker's comp.
Corps are required to file an Alberta Corp return every year (just tells who directors are, address and if still operating) but must also file a T2 every year regardless if income. If they don't have income generally it won't be pursued unless it's a holding company. Often times you'll find that the small corps that don't file are filing the income incorrectly as self employed employed business income on their personal return.

Judging by the shadow being cast on the ground, I would suggest the white in the image seems to me to be a reflection of sunlight being projected from behind the vehicle.

I initially thought that, based on shadows and related sun location, the photo was taken at about 4-4:15AM, and then I wondered whether the photo was taken at night and lightened using photo software. Sure enough, there's a street light directly above the location where the truck is photographed. Without seeing the original photo, I don't think we can figure out the time of the photo.

Is the white spot near the window the broken mirror that neighbours mentioned, or is the window open and that's an elbow poking out the window? I don't see a wrist watch.
I have spent the morning looking for the second picture. Which has mysteriously disappeared from my facebook, friends facebook and can no longer be located in Any of the news articles. Does anyone else recall the initial release of the image of the truck which had 2 different images? One had that white car in the back ground and the other did not. ? If not then I will recant my previous statment and rest on thr fact I thought I seen more then what was there. this picture does not show the white t shirt nor the wrist watch. I remember looking at it with my mom and pointing the wrist watch out. But I suppose thats not helpful if we can't actually find the photo in question.

I certainly hope you are right. This may be the basis for the LE confidence that the bodies will be found - they know the routes DG drove on the night in question. Otherwise there would be an awful lot of footage to review - north, south, east and west of Calgary.

To get to a remote dumping site, I don't think DG would have needed to drive far. There are some pretty deserted country roads less than an hour away. For example, north of Cochrane, there are so many little rural roads. It would have been a very minor detour home to Airdrie for DG to swing through that area and dispose of the evidence.

So I hope you're right, and that DG's travel route is know to LE.

It is too early for harvesting any of this year's crops, aside from some ongoing ploughing and fallowing on the fields that were 'at rest' this year. I don't know if anyone with farm background would dispose of bodies in a field that will be harvested within the next few months. I hate to share my thought about that, but I would think a body/bodies deposited on farmland would attract attention when they get caught up in the undercarriage of the machinery.
It is more likely, IMO, that the bodies would be put in some god-forsaken spot, somewhere beyond Nordegg where there is mostly scrub land and heavily treed Crown land.
Someone made a good point about an older vehicle needing a lot of gas, and that he would have had to refill his tank and maybe be identified... and the absence of jerry cans in the truck...but it's quite possible that those were on the floor in the cab.
I am more certain that some outdoors person will make the discovery on parkland rather than farmland.

Also, anyone can go into an Alberta Registry office and do a Corp Search on any Alberta Corporation for a fee (around $15) it will tell you the date on incorporation, the directors and shareholders. If they have been filling their corporate returns (not the same as tax) they will be active and if not they will be "struck." You can an historical Corp Search as well that would show any changes in directors.

I think you may also be able to do this online and charge your credit card.

Hi Kaley, Can you respond to his ad and suggest your idea?

sure. I will do that for the ring ads. There is also one for a pair of prescription glasses. Does anyone know is AL or KL wore glasses. I can't find any pictures with them wearing any but maybe just at night?

I initially thought that, based on shadows and related sun location, the photo was taken at about 4-4:15AM, and then I wondered whether the photo was taken at night and lightened using photo software. Sure enough, there's a street light directly above the location where the truck is photographed. Without seeing the original photo, I don't think we can figure out the time of the photo.

I measured 8.86 degrees from the front left of the truck to the consequential shadow being cast, so that should be equivalent to 8.86 degrees on the horizon. Anyone good at daylight degree measurement? :)

Run of the mill cheating is very common today, but I think that in the 1980s, straight forward cheating was still a serious offence resulting in expulsion. Today, schools are more concerned with completion rates, so they overlook all sorts of unethical student practices. I know a man that plagiarized portions of an essay assignment in the late 80s. He was expelled.

Actually now there is very sophisticated software that teachers use to detect cheating and plagiarism. Every essay or term paper is uploaded into the program and analyzed through powerful search engines that cover the entire internet. It is much more difficult to cheat than it was in the 80's.

Anyone can post to Wiki, or submit a business that doesn't exist or one with fudged earnings on any number of sites "on the internet". Maybe at some point DG was trying to impress the Russian Babes with his level of success. ;)

That Russian babes site is a fake cover for a hacking operation. He probably was the victim of a virus or spyware or phishing scheme.

sure. I will do that for the ring ads. There is also one for a pair of prescription glasses. Does anyone know is AL or KL wore glasses. I can't find any pictures with them wearing any but maybe just at night?

Interesting. Didn't DG have to squint during his first court appearance and was drawn without glasses and then the next time he wore glasses? I remember it being questioned way back in another thread.

I think someone should have that snorkel guy call LE.

It is too early for harvesting any of this year's crops, aside from some ploughing and fallowing on fields that were 'at rest' this year. I don't know if anyone with farm background would dispose of bodies in a field that will be harvested within the next few months. I hate to say share my thought about that, but I would think a body/bodies deposited on farmland would attract attention when they get caught up in the undercarriage of the machinery.
It is more likely, IMO, that the bodies would put in some god-forsaken spot, somewhere beyond Nordegg where there is mostly scrub land and heavily treed Crown land.
Someone made a good point about an older vehicle needing a lot of gas, and that he would have had to refill his tank and maybe be identified... and the absence of jerry cans in the truck...but it's quite possible that those were on the floor in the cab.
I am more certain that some outdoors person will make the discovery on parkland rather than farmland.
I don't disagree that Nordegg or Rocky Mountain House are also reasonably sites to consider. But about a year ago, I had to find a farm out in that area north of Cochrane, west or northwest of Airdrie. There was no one out there but me and the cows. And that was in the daytime. I didn't see a human for a long time, in fact, until the farmer I was meeting showed up.

As for dumping on farm land, if there is a crop, it's not planted right to the roadside. Plus some of that land is grazing land, not crop land. I doubt cattle would dig up buried, lye-covered bodies. And finally, I don't think DG would have had any difficulty taking the time to dig holes and bury the bodies. He appears to be physically strong, and he had at least all night to do it.

I'm not putting this out there as a theory I'm hooked on, just that I live in Calgary and there are endless places the bodies could be, and that would not necessarily involve a lot of driving.

One thing to keep in mind is that the highways have weather cameras even secondary highways have weather cameras. If LE thought he skipped town the traffic cameras could be reviewed along with weather camera's ect. DG knows back roads well but IMO it would be nearly impossible to avoid any sort of sighting on these sources. Also it would be helpful if they had released mulitple CCTV footage of the vehicle. we know he was at the property several times....either througout the night or evening...did the truck return to the property covered in mud, gravel dust ect. That would let us know which route was likely traveled. I am assuming LE has this info and have already tracked the comings and goings. What stood out to me from the footage of the truck was that the individual was wearing a white Tshirt and a wrist watch....where is that wrist watch? Can his family identify if that wrist watch is his? I do believe LE had focused the investigation on the areas that they have information placing the vehicle or DG himself as opposed to running on a thought or hope that their efforts would pay off. One would not make it very far in an older modle vehicle without stopping for gas, we do not see jerry cans in the back of the truck. My assumption is whatever he did the course of the evening/night he was able to do with 1 tank of gas to avoid being traced fueling up. The farm likely has gas on it I still dont see him getting very far without someone somewhere tracing that vehicle back. IMO

Just want to say a few things about the truck in the neighbourhood because I just watched the video where LE ask for public assistance in identifying it. They do not know if the truck was at the sale, from that I assume the CCTV footage doesn't really show anything around the house, therefore, we don't know if he was at the property several times. We do know that CCTV caught the truck several times on the road (or roads?) in the neighbourhood during the evening/night (he said both) and during the time of the incident (he said that too). And that seems to be about all they can track around the L house (though we know LE withholds info). Also, they had already asked the family about the truck before making a public plea. So there is no way to know if the truck returned to the property (or ever was at the property) or was covered in mud. However, I think the idea of weather cameras and trying to find the truck is a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave