Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #17

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by Coldpizza, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldpizza

Coldpizza WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Please continue here for Nathan, Kathryn and Alvin

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Google streetview shows this at the end of their street (about 4 houses down from the Liknes' home):

[​IMG]

It's the Elbow River Pathway (iirc) that runs alongside the river.

4. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

full article:
    http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-five-year-old-from-calgary-1.1893711

Thread#1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

Thread #11

Thread #12

]Thread #13

Thread #14

Thread #15

Thread #16

Thread #17

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ia-Maps-amp-Timeline*&p=10713927#post10713927

Rules Etiquette & Information:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...iquette-amp-Information&p=8364858#post8364858

5. Tinkerbel1

Tinkerbel1 New Member

I'm actually wondering about LoriMcA's comment about the section of the fence in the back perhaps being a gate? If it is a gate, there could be a possibility that the section was removed and the fence left open for the purpose of the sale. If people bought large items (ie couch, etc) they may have removed it through the patio door, off the deck and into the back of a pick-up, so if it is a gate, it could've even been open. Just a thought.

6. LoisLane

LoisLane New Member

I recall Otto did a mock-up of the back of the house. I will try to find it. Where are you Otto?

7. Lalalacasbah

Lalalacasbah Active Member

A new article that does reference that it was the amount of blood that gave some signs as to what happened.

"Police later described their disappearance as a homicide, and said the amount of blood found in the Liknes's house suggested at least one person would have been in medical distress because of a violent crime." (BBM)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...knes-memorial-to-be-held-in-calgary-1.2779924

On another note - sending some peace to the families today. I hope this helps with the healing process.

8. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone has posted this news article from DG's court date last week, as I had not seen it myself? (BBM)
    (Cherchri, just wondering if you noticed the head hanging, surprise from the L family in attendance, and the gasps from the courtroom?)
    Jeez that seems a long time to wait for lab results to come back, I wonder why they take so long?? I know it is not unusual, just saying.
    Also I had never heard it said, or at least I don't recall it ever being said that there was forensic evidence that led to the charges. Has that been stated before?
    Also, mods please note that this link also has 'dots' instead of showing all of the words contained in the actual link, and yet this is a link from an MSM site, hence my confusion on an earlier post.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-murder-case-douglas-garland-appearance-draws-gasps-in-courtroom-1.2768976

9. deugirtni

Yes, I don't recall LE ever confirming that it was blood that was found (even though it was highly assumed, and confirmed by a neighbour/friend of the family. One has to wonder about some of these MSM statements, whether they are in fact accurate, or whether they are taking editoral liberties at times ..

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

I can do better than a mock-up. Here's a photo of the back fence. It seems to be a regular fence.

Attached Files:

11. Lalalacasbah

Stan and others (myself included) have always been wondering who met who, who introduced who first and how between PG/DG and the Liknes'.

Maybe just another coincidence here (seems to be a lot these days), but on CH's LinkedIn, looks like she worked in the chemical industry (HR manager) for 8 years. Maybe she met DG through chemicals and introduced him/PG to the Liknes'? The only things wrong is the dates don't align for this to be plausible, as I believe she just started at this company ini 2000 when DG was rearrested, so probably no crossover. But I wonder if she worked elsewhere before this?

Not sleuthing friends, but trying to see if there's a connection via workplace.

And is the chemicals industry big business in Alberta? Seems to come up a lot, I've never know anyone myself who works in chemicals industry and thought it was maybe quite lucrative, but seems to be everywhere these days.

12. Lalalacasbah

Well it's nice to know they've publicly stated they have forensic evidence, this could also be computer/digital forensics from computers as well as biological I believe.

The article sounds very dramatic, wonder if there were such gasps? Maybe Cherchri will confirm.

13. otto

otto Verified Expert

It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out. How old is Allen's oldest son? Was Douglas living in Vancouver when that child was born? If so, then it would mean that Allen and Douglas' sister met, had a child, Douglas was arrested, he went to jail, and he met Alvin afterwards.

14. Lalalacasbah

I agree, the MSM are really not facts these days it seems. Very hard to take the articles at face value. We should be questioning them big time!

15. Lalalacasbah

Otto! There you are! Great photo, thanks :)

16. deugirtni

I can't help wondering if that isn't some kind of a handle/pull bar on the one section of the back fence, and also that the post seems different between 1st and 2nd sections? (which may indicate that this section of fence was moveable, or some kind of large gate?)

17. Lalalacasbah

You're asking me to do math? Bad idea. lol, seriously though - I'm not really sure at all how old Allen's son is? Does anyone know?

18. otto

otto Verified Expert

What difference does it make?

It appears to be a regular, permanent fence. The horizontal 2x4s might be a left-over from a time when people had covered garbage bin storage areas at the back fence.

19. otto

otto Verified Expert

From photos I've seen, he appeared to be about 12 when Nathan's parents were married, so he should be about 16 years old today. That means that he was born in roughly 1998, when Douglas was a fugitive. I think it's a fairly good guess that Allen and his wife met and started a family well before Douglas met Alvin.

20. deugirtni

The difference it makes is that it could mean that section of the fence is movable, or a gate, which could indicate that it opens enough for a vehicle to enter the yard.

21. deugirtni

From what I have read, we don't really know if PG and ALJr are common-law, or married, or how long they've been together, and I don't recall ever seeing whether any of their children are from a previous relationship or whether any of their children are from 'their' relationship. Has that been stated somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.