Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they did a psychiatric assessment already to prove he still has his marbles.

I'd hate to see a monster like this claim insanity as a defense.

He is a psycho freak but not legally insane. IMO

His glasses always strike me as newer and trendier than I'd imagine him wearing. I wonder if his previous ones were broken during the crime. Wasn't there mention of glasses in the burn barrel?

Also, did I hear mention of a dentist's chair being found? That's a weird thing to own.

Where did it mention the chair? I think I missed that part

Why does this make me think of that insane dentist that S. Martin played in Little Sh*p of h*rr*rs....

A ladies size 13 is not the same as a man's size 13. A man's 13 runner would be huge, a woman's 13 would fit a slimmer foot that is 11 inches long.

I had to go make dinner so i just got back and I'm speechless. Actually i have one thing to say "wtf???"

A ladies size 13 is not the same as a man's size 13. A man's 13 runner would be huge, a woman's 13 would fit a slimmer foot that is 11 inches long.

So either he is actually a men's size 11 and therefore wears a women's 13 or he is a men's 13 and didn't know that he'd be a different size in a woman's shoe.

I wonder if they will mention the search at the incinerator at the poultry lab in Airdrie.

I believe he was arrested on July 5, 2014. So how could that video be dated the 7?

Here is one article that describes him in with LE but then getting let out and then arrested again. Its confusing but he may have had a chance on the 7th knowing he would likely go into custody that day.

July 6: Police enlist the help of a dog and a boat as they continue to comb the Airdrie property. Garland is released, but still publicly declared a person of interest.
July 7: Douglas Garland, 54, appears in a Calgary court on an identity theft charge unrelated to the Liknes/O’Brien disappearance. He is held in police custody pending a bail review. Rod O’Brien tells reporters at the courthouse that there is a connection between Garland and the family, but would not elaborate.
July 8: Calgary police say they have other leads to explore besides Garland and the Airdrie property, but offer no details.
July 9: Police say they’ve expanded their search to the Spyhill Landfill northwest of Calgary. They also confirm that Garland’s sister is in a relationship with a member of the Liknes family, and that the Airdrie property belongs to his parents.
July 10: Police say they are probing business dealings in the Liknes family as part of their investigation. Officers did not provide details, but reports surfaced that Alvin Liknes recently had to close his gas exploration company after equipment was seized for unpaid taxes. Police said they had also begun searching other city landfills. Later that day, about 500 people attended a candlelight vigil at a community centre near the Liknes home.
July 11: Garland is released from police custody on bail and given strict conditions, including instructions not to return to his parents’ Airdrie farm where police were still conducting searches.
July 12: Police return to the Liknes home to conduct more searches even as they continue to sweep the Airdrie property and local landfills.
July 13: Police conclude searching the Liknes home but say the investigation continues at the Airdrie property and local landfills.
July 14: Calgary police say two charges of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder are pending in the case, but don’t immediately identify the suspect because charges had not been laid.
July 15: Calgary police say Douglas Garland, 54, has been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, and second-degree murder in the death of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...harged-with-murders-of-missing-calgary-family

I wonder where he stayed from the 11-15th

Dental chair, straight jacket, wigs, diaper, dental anaesthetic? Odd assortment of stufff. some of this stuff is not readily available to general public. What a freak show!

VHS shows he is living in the past. Wonder if there are any VHS tapes he filmed? Reminds me of Bernardo. Ugh.

Can't see him having or needing smartphone or cell phone for that matter.

Who writes and publishes books on how to get away with murder?????? And self autopsies?????

Shocked his defence team isn't pleading insanity. Does he think he might beat these charges? Really????

I wonder where he stayed from the 11-15th

At the time, MSM reported that:

Garland must reside in some sort of "transitional housing,” which may be a hotel, motel or some form of shelter. Garland must also follow "a list of restrictions about where he can live, curfew, and who he must check in with," Simpson tweeted from the scene.

Some of those restrictions include that Garland must stay in Alberta, surrender his passport (even though he said he doesn't have one) and has to stay at his temporary home between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/douglas-garland-released-on-750-bail-1.1909774

And one source reported that:

He had been staying in a motel north of Calgary since then.

http://heavy.com/news/2014/07/nathan-obrien-missing-alvin-kathy-liknes-dead-donald-garland/

<modsnip>

yes it sounds like he is into this fetish. Blond wigs, women's shoes and diapers. The article I read states some people never get help for this mental disorder - yes they referred to it as a disorder- and it is manageable with meds and psychiatric help.

His parents are damn lucky they are still alive!

Lucky thing he was arrested on unrelated charges early on in the investigation. Those cuts were gone by the time he had his arrest for this case. I do think he thinks he will beat these charges and I also think he will push to take the stand. He did, after all, beat the system once before without the help of a lawyer. I'm sure, in his mind, he has a very logical explanation for all the stuff they found, and once he can explain it all everyone will understand. I think this is also why he is taking notes and paying such close attention to everyone.

Wow...just got caught up from this afternoon's disturbing revelations. We're definitely looking at an individual with some extreme fetishes and very deviant sexual fantasies IMO.

I'm assuming he was also just telling his psychiatrist what he/she wanted to hear and was not using the opportunity to get help?

What were his plans for that farm after his elderly parents passed away? I shudder at the thought.

Regarding the wood chipper, is it not true (after following the Bosma trial) that DNA cannot be extracted from incinerated bone? The cadaver dog was hitting on something "all over the vegetable garden". Would a cadaver dog hit on incinerated human bone?

MOO

Dental chair, straight jacket, wigs, diaper, dental anaesthetic? Odd assortment of stufff. some of this stuff is not readily available to general public. What a freak show!

VHS shows he is living in the past. Wonder if there are any VHS tapes he filmed? Reminds me of Bernardo. Ugh.

Can't see him having or needing smartphone or cell phone for that matter.

Who writes and publishes books on how to get away with murder?????? And self autopsies?????

Shocked his defence team isn't pleading insanity. Does he think he might beat these charges? Really????

It is quite unbelievable, but he is not insane. The fact that he preplanned the abduction for weeks, stealthily entered the home in the middle of the night and cleaned up and hid evidence at the farm indicates that he knew it was wrong.

MOO

The only solace I take in any of this is the fact that child killers don't fare well in prison. Child killers that torture a child fare even worse. A sexual deviant who murders and tortures children hasn't got a prayer. The sad part is that the prison system is going to protect DG for the rest of his life. If there was ever a killer that deserved prison "justice" this is the one. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

yes it sounds like he is into this fetish. Blond wigs, women's shoes and diapers. The article I read states some people never get help for this mental disorder - yes they referred to it as a disorder- and it is manageable with meds and psychiatric help.

His parents are damn lucky they are still alive!

I wonder if any of his family had ever seen evidence of any fetish behaviour?

Wow...just got caught up from this afternoon's disturbing revelations. We're definitely looking at an individual with some extreme fetishes and very deviant sexual fantasies IMO.

I'm assuming he was also just telling his psychiatrist what he/she wanted to hear and was not using the opportunity to get help?

What were his plans for that farm after his elderly parents passed away? I shudder at the thought.

Regarding the wood chipper, is it not true (after following the Bosma trial) that DNA cannot be extracted from incinerated bone? The cadaver dog was hitting on something "all over the vegetable garden". Would a cadaver dog hit on incinerated human bone?

MOO

I know in the Bosma trial they weren't able to get dna from the bone but i believe they did try. Maybe it is possible but not likely.

What i want to know is where are the bones? We learned the fragments found were animal bones. Did he grind the bones up after burning and then dispose of them elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow