Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
"While many have felt lost in the aftermath of the tragedy, Head is among the many to turn their grief into action. Earlier this week, he set up a donation page for the family on www..com/aygrpk to help them pay for such necessities as moving costs, memorial services and legal fees.

Within its first 48 hours, the site has collected more than $25,000 towards the goal of $100,000.

“When you’re a neighbour and a friend, you want to do something,” says the 42-year-old father of two girls. So many people have helped with meals and baking, he says."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/fortne...s+grief+into+action+video/10039656/story.html

Normally I would agree but I think in the O'Brien case Head's daughter and Nathan were very close friends. They must have lived close to each other according to the article.
Yes, Greg Head was NO's hockey coach as well. He has done so much for that family.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wonder how early did DG's sister become suspicious of her brother, whether even before the green truck? If you look at the [video=youtube;C1lYafbDOjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lYafbDOjk[/video], the woman on the far left, next to Allen (I believe), was presumably Patti Garland. Unlike the other family members, she kept her head mostly lowered, and seeming to be in contemplation?

The relationships in the family is kinda confusing. Is Jennifer only daughter of Kathy but not Alvin? Kathy and Alvin are both parents of Jeff. What about Allen? Was Kathy his mother?

Thanks all for being here. I cant say enough from start to finish as to all the players involved in finding Justice. I am going to step away for a few hours and let all this marinate. I don't think I have been as horrified since the Christian/Newsom Case. I pray those 3 souls can now rest easy and Family/Friends can find a new normal in time. As for killer.........whatever. Here or in the after life.

Oh man watching that video appeal was heartbreaking to see again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how early did DG's sister become suspicious of her brother, whether even before the green truck? If you look at the [video=youtube;C1lYafbDOjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lYafbDOjk[/video], the woman on the far left, next to Allen (I believe), was presumably Patti Garland. Unlike the other family members, she kept her head mostly lowered, and seeming to be in contemplation?

Yes, you make a good point. Garland was a suspect from day one.

"He testified that by the end of the first day of the investigation, investigators had compiled a list of six persons of interest. They included a local sex offender, a man who had shot Alvin Liknes's daughter years before, a former house guest of the Likneses, two disgruntled former employees of Alvin Liknes, and Douglas Garland.

Investigators were assigned to interview each person and one by one they were all eliminated as possible suspects, except for Garland."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...en-liknes-operation-amber-lee-treit-1.3982966

No, that is Nancy Liknes, Alvin's daughter

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Garland and defense have some nerve requesting to alter the victim impact statements. By committing this brutal crime, he should have no say in what the families wrote. Another way to control the outcome. The fear that Nathan went through is so sad. His DNA was left as a hand print on the wall in his grandparents house....I hope prison is PURE HELL for Garland! Praying for healing for both families!

There is law regarding the purpose of the victim impact statement and some portions of the statements had to be removed because they violated the intent of the VIS. I also think that reference to God should have been removed, but apparently the Judge thought God should have a place in a murder conviction. My impression is that the Judge was too emotional, and should have taken more time for sentencing. He complained that he received case law in the morning and didn't have time to read it, but how could the defence know that the Judge would rush to sentencing?

Normally I would agree but I think in the O'Brien case Head's daughter and Nathan were very close friends. They must have lived close to each other according to the article.

It's true that Greg Head and the O'briens are neighbours, but at the same time Greg Head is associated with a lot of victim based fundraising efforts (meaning he decides what to do with the money) and we know that some of the money went to his brother even though it was pointless to do aerial searches for people whose remains were found on the acreage.

There is law regarding the purpose of the victim impact statement and some portions of the statements had to be removed because they violated the intent of the VIS. I also think that reference to God should have been removed, but apparently the Judge thought God should have a place in a murder conviction. My impression is that the Judge was too emotional, and should have taken more time for sentencing. He complained that he received case law in the morning and didn't have time to read it, but how could the defence know that the Judge would rush to sentencing?

Sentencing is very quick after a 1st degree conviction. Defense should have been ready for any outcome before jury came back.

The relationships in the family is kinda confusing. Is Jennifer only daughter of Kathy but not Alvin? Kathy and Alvin are both parents of Jeff. What about Allen? Was Kathy his mother?

Buried in the earlier threads, my understanding is the relationships are -
Alvin and Kathy met when Jennifer was quite young. After they married, she considered Alvin to be her father. It was Alvin's 2nd marriage and he had 4 children, Allen being one of them. Jeff is the youngest and the only biological child of both Alvin and Kathy.

KL was the mother of JO and Jeff. AL's first wife was the mother of AJ,Nancy, and Eileen. AL was the father of Jeff,AJ,Eileen and Nancy

Jennifer is Kathryn's daughter. Jeff is the only natural child of Alvin and Kathryn. Alvin had other children from a previous marriage, including Allen and Nancy.

Another key to the city for Justice Gates, please! Let's name a park after him, too!!

I dont think I have ever seen a more caring judge ever before.
He cared about the jury and their feelings.
He cared about the victims families and their feelings.

He demonstrated throughout this trial that he was going to make sure the victims were legally protected by the court and that they got the justice they deserved.

Well Done. I vote him "Justice of the Year". Make that "Justice of the Century".

It must be strange for the family when they are with Alvin's twin brother. It's also surprising that we have never heard from the identical twin.

It must be strange for the family when they are with Alvin's twin brother. It's also surprising that we have never heard from the identical twin.

Interesting, didn't know he had a twin. Now what if DG mistook the twin for Alvin? :thinking:

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1h1 hour ago
Kim Ross "we don't have all the info yet that we have to look at" before deciding whether to appeal in this case #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1h1 hour ago
Kim Ross: "it's been a long process" of #Garland trial "there's no winners here on either side"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member