Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1h1 hour ago
Kim Ross: "it's been a long process" of #Garland trial "there's no winners here on either side"

Just one winner Lady Justice

https://www.google.com/search?q=lady+justice&biw=1033&bih=484&tbm=isch&imgil=5wR002zrEXnvRM%253A%253BQ6MxXeA3ghMR2M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.billfrymire.com%25252Fgallery%25252Flady-justice-legal-law.jpg.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=5wR002zrEXnvRM%253A%252CQ6MxXeA3ghMR2M%252C_&usg=__ACqGrN1XWuFM2NkqWaDHPKT6_TE%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjSsbi0qZjSAhUF7YMKHUOBBWEQyjcIMw&ei=boynWNLCEoXajwTDgpaIBg#imgrc=5wR002zrEXnvRM:

Her attributes are a blindfold, a balance and a sword.

The blindfold represents impartiality

The balance scales typically suspended from her left hand, upon which she measures the strengths of a case's support and opposition.

This is the sword of truth. The downward direction of the sword is meant to symbolize punishment but tempered with mercy.

There is law regarding the purpose of the victim impact statement and some portions of the statements had to be removed because they violated the intent of the VIS. I also think that reference to God should have been removed, but apparently the Judge thought God should have a place in a murder conviction. My impression is that the Judge was too emotional, and should have taken more time for sentencing. He complained that he received case law in the morning and didn't have time to read it, but how could the defence know that the Judge would rush to sentencing?

I understand there are rules re victim impact statements. I wrote one for my case in the US but it still hits a nerve when at the final end, the criminal still has a few rights. I understand Canada gives a too much rights more than the victim which I feel, JMO, is stupid.

It must be strange for the family when they are with Alvin's twin brother. It's also surprising that we have never heard from the identical twin.

Until today at least?

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 6h6 hours ago
Next is Allen Liknes -Alvin's brother -breaks down, "i just thank God his family turned him in" #Garland

=============
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 6h6 hours ago
Allen begins by thanking the court, says he thanks God #Garland family turned him in. "I have nothing more to say"

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 6h6 hours ago
Allen Liknes, Alvin's brother, will now read his victim impact statement #Garland #yyc

[video=twitter;832744042660106240]https://twitter.com/meyer_lucas/status/832744042660106240[/video]

From Nancy Hixt Facebook. (there is a link to a fundraising effort below, if this is not allowed, my apologies, will go and review the rules now).

Nancy Hixt - Crime Beat
7 hrs ·
A lot of people have been asking how they can show their support for the families of the victim's of Douglas Garland.
The impact on the families of 5 year old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes--is beyond words...unimaginable.
If you would like to help, there is a playground being built in Nathan's honour. They are trying to raise 150 thousand dollars for this to happen.
here is a link:
http://evenstartfoundation.org/get-inv…/make-a-donation.html

From Nancy Hixt Facebook. (there is a link to a fundraising effort below, if this is not allowed, my apologies, will go and review the rules now).

Nancy Hixt - Crime Beat
7 hrs ·
A lot of people have been asking how they can show their support for the families of the victim's of Douglas Garland.
The impact on the families of 5 year old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes--is beyond words...unimaginable.
If you would like to help, there is a playground being built in Nathan's honour. They are trying to raise 150 thousand dollars for this to happen.
here is a link:
http://evenstartfoundation.org/get-inv…/make-a-donation.html

Wasn't there also a donation of one million US from a NC man?

Justice was done. DG can rot for rest of his life. Victims families can try to move on, knowing killer is where he belongs. Nathan will live on in his brothers.

RIP.

Justice was done. DG can rot for rest of his life. Victims families can try to move on, knowing killer is where he belongs. Nathan will live on in his brothers.

RIP.

defense spectacle was a joke. Made them look ridiculous! Jmo

Yes but as others have said before he will never be placed with other prisoners. He's going to spend the rest of his life in his own private tiny box just like Bernardo.
I live in the community that houses the Saskatchewan Pennitentary, and I've asked some penn guard friends of mine about segregation. They said there is no permanent seg, max 30 ish days. Not sure what you would call what Bernardo was in, but doesnt sound like they keep max security prisoners on alone for long periods of time anymore.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I keep coming back and refreshing the page. I don't know what I'm looking for, or hoping for. I thought I'd feel better knowing that he'll be locked up for the rest of his pathetic life. But this one has hit me really hard. I can't even begin to imagine how the O'Brien, Liknes, and even the members of the Garland family must feel right now.

It's true that Greg Head and the O'briens are neighbours, but at the same time Greg Head is associated with a lot of victim based fundraising efforts (meaning he decides what to do with the money) and we know that some of the money went to his brother even though it was pointless to do aerial searches for people whose remains were found on the acreage.

I had thought Greg Head and his brother had donated the services, but after reading back through a few articles, I can't see anywhere where it said the services were donated.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2014/07/24/gp-company-aiding-police-in-murder-investigation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...help-from-high-tech-gear-helicopter-1.2713772

I live in the community that houses the Saskatchewan Pennitentary, and I've asked some penn guard friends of mine about segregation. They said there is no permanent seg, max 30 ish days. Not sure what you would call what Bernardo was in, but doesnt sound like they keep max security prisoners on alone for long periods of time anymore.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I am from that city :)

I keep coming back and refreshing the page. I don't know what I'm looking for, or hoping for. I thought I'd feel better knowing that he'll be locked up for the rest of his pathetic life. But this one has hit me really hard. I can't even begin to imagine how the O'Brien, Liknes, and even the members of the Garland family must feel right now.

I know. Me too. Its part of letting go I guess...

I had thought Greg Head and his brother had donated the services, but after reading back through a few articles, I can't see anywhere where it said the services were donated.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2014/07/24/gp-company-aiding-police-in-murder-investigation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...help-from-high-tech-gear-helicopter-1.2713772

If it was donated, we would have heard about it. I think it was paid for with Greg Head's fundraising. The Airdrie community also raised funds, as did the Canmore friend of Kathy.

Yes I believe that was for the Nathan O'Brien Foundation. A separate effort from this playground one.

Even in 2014 it seemed like a lot of money was moving around in the name of Nathan O'brien.

Wishful thinking but in a perfect world Garland might've told the court why he did it, what was going on in his head. And apologized to the family or at least showed a tiny bit of remorse. It wouldn't make anything better but I can't begin to imagine how awful it must be for the family to have sat across a courtroom from a stone cold evil monster for five weeks. And not get any answers whatsoever.

Wishful thinking but in a perfect world Garland might've told the court why he did it, what was going on in his head. And apologized to the family or at least showed a tiny bit of remorse. It wouldn't make anything better but I can't begin to imagine how awful it must be for the family to have sat across a courtroom from a stone cold evil monster for five weeks. And not get any answers whatsoever.

That's what I'm thinking, too. It's like other cases I've followed here, for example Sherri Papini...you follow the story from day one only to get to the end of the book and the last page is ripped out. There are no real answers, no conclusion wrapped up neat and tidy. Nothing he would have said would have brought Nathan, Kathy, and Alvin back but maybe it would help a little with dealing with what happened and moving on from here.

Will we find out eventually where he is housed forever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member