Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

Do we believe that these are the only murders committed by DG? Some of his research and preparations made for these murders might suggest that he never murdered anyone else.

Ralph Simington went missing from Calgary in 2012.

"Ralph Simington, a retired gas-plant operator and grandfather of four, was last seen in the Bowness area on the evening of June 15, 2012.

Mosco [his daughter] said it’s unusual for her father to not be in touch with family or friends, noting he updates his answering machine daily with details of his whereabouts.
“It’s a complete mystery because Dad was so meticulous about letting several people know what was up with him and putting it on the outgoing message. this is completely out of character for him,” Mosco said."

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20120624/281638187290315

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2013000145&id=9

Do we believe that these are the only murders committed by DG? Some of his research and preparations made for these murders might suggest that he never murdered anyone else.

Did you mean the opposite in your last sentence, or why were you citing the missing person case?

Given how thoroughly DG was able to destroy bodies, I shiver to think God knows how many people he had killed and burned in the barrels without leading any trace. It's really scary.

That's not the kind of justice that anyone wants to see. I hope the people who attacked him are charged, and I hope that he is put in protective custody.

That's a very kind and thoughtful statement to make Otto. :) I have returned to WS after having spent time in another group following this trial. That is unfortunately not the sentiment there at all. I am saddened, very disturbed and completely disheartened at the lack of respect for all human life, as well as the lack of understanding of the continued responsibility of the Canadian penal system, not only in that particular group, but pretty much wherever anyone is talking about it.

The vigilante and self-appointed 'justice system' and 'pecking order' within prisons are something that definitely must be addressed. No inmate being held in custody should suffer injury or death at the hands of those they live amongst or are supposed to be protected by. Many have comments regarding taxpayers' dollars being spent on the upkeep of criminals. I am aware that my taxpaying dollars are also used for the salaries of the warden and guards of these facilities. The responsibility in my mind therefore, lies with the Management and staff within the facilities. If they're not doing their job and upholding law and order within prison walls they should be held accountable and fired. I don't want my hard-earned tax dollars going to people who are not doing their jobs and allowing harm to come to others. JMO

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1442905-garland-seriously-injured-after-being-assaulted-in-jail

[/I] “In my conversation with the Remand Centre today, I obviously expressed my concern," said Ross. I can only hope that they will take the appropriate steps having now seen what will happen."
[/I]
“I am concerned in a sense, and I want to be careful what I see here because I don’t know what happened yet, but I’m sure hoping that this isn’t a case where this matter was allowed to happen.”

[I]"I fully understand that Mr. Garland is not going to win any Mr.*Popularity contests, but the system still has a duty and is mandated to make sure that he is protected, that his*physical safety, his mental safety are being looked after," Ross said.

Ian Savage, the president of the Calgary-based Criminal Defence Lawyers Association, said his organization is calling upon the Remand Centre to explain exactly how the assault happened.

[/I]
According to police, the 57-year-old victim and the alleged offenders are inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre. Alberta Justice confirms several inmates were responsible for the assault.

The Calgary Police Service continues to investigate Friday's incident alongside the ministry of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General. Additional details will be released once the responsible parties are charged.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1442905-garland-seriously-injured-after-being-assaulted-in-jail

Dan Laville, a spokesman for Alberta’s Justice and Solicitor General department, said in an email that an internal investigation will also be done in addition to the police one.

Did you mean the opposite in your last sentence, or why were you citing the missing person case?

Given how thoroughly DG was able to destroy bodies, I shiver to think God knows how many people he had killed and burned in the barrels without leading any trace. It's really scary.

I guess that I just have conflicted feelings about the likihood of there being other victims. I think that it's highly possible, and that DG could hide the trail. But, given the amount of evidence that the police uncovered in the murder of Nathan and his grandparents, I would think that, if there was evidence of another murder on the farm, it would have come to light during the recent investigation.

When I saw that Mr. Simington was involved in the gas industry, I shuddered.

Ralph Simington went missing from Calgary in 2012.

"Ralph Simington, a retired gas-plant operator and grandfather of four, was last seen in the Bowness area on the evening of June 15, 2012.

Mosco [his daughter] said it’s unusual for her father to not be in touch with family or friends, noting he updates his answering machine daily with details of his whereabouts.
“It’s a complete mystery because Dad was so meticulous about letting several people know what was up with him and putting it on the outgoing message. this is completely out of character for him,” Mosco said."

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20120624/281638187290315

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2013000145&id=9
Wondering if there is a thread for Ralph; will look and link if so.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I did not see one for Ralph Simington, either.

I hope he has been put in protective custody and this does not happen again. He has his sentence. No one there has a right to their own form of justice outside our laws.

I think some people are reacting emotionally and, as such, are unable to see the big picture consequences of encouraging inmates to violently attack other inmates. Violent inmates probably need very little encouragement to be violent, and it's unfortunate that they are encouraged. Those same violent inmates need very little encouragement to be violent towards non-inmates as well, but for some reason people don't see that side of the problem.

Wondering if there is a thread for Ralph; will look and link if so.

Where was DG and what was he up to in June 2012? Would there be any way to make a connection of RS to DG? I cannot help but feel that DG had practice runs before K, A, & N. Two years is a long time to burn or rid a location of evidence and DNA. How old was the computer used in searches? Perhaps he had another hard drive before now? I have so many niggling questions and many are about the G family and what made them all tick. Since the trial has wrapped up, I am even more troubled about how that horrible night unfolded for Kathy, Allan and sweet Nathan.

That's a very kind and thoughtful statement to make Otto. :) I have returned to WS after having spent time in another group following this trial. That is unfortunately not the sentiment there at all. I am saddened, very disturbed and completely disheartened at the lack of respect for all human life, as well as the lack of understanding of the continued responsibility of the Canadian penal system, not only in that particular group, but pretty much wherever anyone is talking about it.

The vigilante and self-appointed 'justice system' and 'pecking order' within prisons are something that definitely must be addressed. No inmate being held in custody should suffer injury or death at the hands of those they live amongst or are supposed to be protected by. Many have comments regarding taxpayers' dollars being spent on the upkeep of criminals. I am aware that my taxpaying dollars are also used for the salaries of the warden and guards of these facilities. The responsibility in my mind therefore, lies with the Management and staff within the facilities. If they're not doing their job and upholding law and order within prison walls they should be held accountable and fired. I don't want my hard-earned tax dollars going to people who are not doing their jobs and allowing harm to come to others. JMO

[/I] “In my conversation with the Remand Centre today, I obviously expressed my concern," said Ross. I can only hope that they will take the appropriate steps having now seen what will happen."
[/I]
“I am concerned in a sense, and I want to be careful what I see here because I don’t know what happened yet, but I’m sure hoping that this isn’t a case where this matter was allowed to happen.”

[I]"I fully understand that Mr. Garland is not going to win any Mr.*Popularity contests, but the system still has a duty and is mandated to make sure that he is protected, that his*physical safety, his mental safety are being looked after," Ross said.

Ian Savage, the president of the Calgary-based Criminal Defence Lawyers Association, said his organization is calling upon the Remand Centre to explain exactly how the assault happened.

[/I]
According to police, the 57-year-old victim and the alleged offenders are inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre. Alberta Justice confirms several inmates were responsible for the assault.

The Calgary Police Service continues to investigate Friday's incident alongside the ministry of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General. Additional details will be released once the responsible parties are charged.

Dan Laville, a spokesman for Alberta’s Justice and Solicitor General department, said in an email that an internal investigation will also be done in addition to the police one.

My understanding in reading various comments from Garland's lawyer is that Garland was protected during the past 2.5 years. I believe that the Spy Hill Jail staff would have known that from his paperwork, yet they did nothing to protect him at that institution. That needs to be investigated, as there's really no excuse for leaving Garland in general population where he could be attacked from behind by four inmates who intended to cause permanent injury to his head and internal organs.

My understanding in reading various comments from Garland's lawyer is that Garland was protected during the past 2.5 years. I believe that the Spy Hill Jail staff would have known that from his paperwork, yet they did nothing to protect him at that institution. That needs to be investigated, as there's really no excuse for leaving Garland in general population where he could be attacked from behind by four inmates who intended to cause permanent injury to his head and internal organs.
I do believe he was being watched pretty closely otherwise his injuries would have been much more severe. 4 on one is deadly! I do think it needs to be investigated as well but I think we'll find that the attack was stopped quickly.

So here's thing, when found out that Douglas Garland was attacked in prison, I have to confess, I felt a little bit of satisfaction. I mean he's been found guilty by a jury of his peers of a most horrendous crime, beyond our comprehension, something that felt surreal, like an over the top Criminal Minds episode written for Emmy consideration. The evidence was shocking to most of us, the level of depravity unimaginable. The court agreed and sentenced him to the highest possible punishment our criminal justice system allows, and that's not something to take lightly. There isn't a lot of precedent for parole ineligibility in this country. So, Douglas Garland will die in jail. I've often felt that he will actually enjoy the solitude but, who are we kidding, even the most introverted introvert won't do well being locked in a cell for 23 hours per day. Douglas Garland is a sick and evil individual and I pray he suffers in hs mind for what he has done every single day of the rest of his miserable like. I hope one day he sees the gravity of his actions and it causes him incredible pain. If there's one thing I've learned is that what goes on in our mind can be debilitating and painful, as much as any physical affliction. Our justice system does not dole out physical punishments and we all know about countries who do. There are countries where people are publicly caned, whipped, beheaded, shot and a bill sent to the family for the bullet. I know a lot of people would like to see those kind of punishments for Douglas Garland but the thing is that I bet that not a single one of us want to live in those countries. Justice is a different thing there, human rights are a whole different story. Just check with Amnesty International. I don't want to live in a system like that, where I can be pulled from my house and jailed without due process. Where human rights are routinely ignored. If it's okay for Douglas Garland to be beaten in jail it's okay that Alvin Chiniquay was beaten to death in his cell, we can't have it both ways. I'm really not a bleeding heart, I feel true hatred for Douglas Garland. I'm conflicted by my feelings about what happened this weekend but at the same time I love living in a country where I feel safe most of the time. Where everyone is entitled to due process and fair treatment under the law.

I hope he has been put in protective custody and this does not happen again. He has his sentence. No one there has a right to their own form of justice outside our laws.

I have to jump in here. This was covered a few pages back. Prisoners in a remand center are not given protective custody. This is a holding center for awaiting trial prisoners - the reason DG is still in remand is he and his defence lawyers are considering an appeal. He will stay in the remand center until that decision is made.

Awesome post PrincessB ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing there could likely be an assault from other inmates due to the nature of the crime, I am surprised DG was allowed in community areas. He will be at the current location for 2-4 weeks, the time allowed to file for an appeal.

http://www.newstalk770.com/syn/110/...d-to-hospital-after-jailhouse-beating-sources

Global News has learned he will be in administrative segregation under close watch and will have limited contact with other inmates. Sources said there is heightened security after threats were posted on social media.

-- was in a common area of the provincial jail when he was attacked from behind by four inmates. He received multiple blows to the head and midsection.
-- the incident was captured on CCTV at the Remand Centre.
--Garland was brought to the Remand Centre for the trial. He was previously in a segregated unit in a facility outside of the city.
Alberta Justice said an internal investigation will be conducted. Calgary Police are also investigating.

Did anyone else find it weird that everyone was still in common areas so late in the evening? Don't they have lights out at 10 or something.

I also feel that Garland knew this would eventually happen. He had to know and still know he is pretty hated. Put him around other criminals who have no cares he had to know it was coming one day. Not saying it's ok but ya know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back