Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

I don't think killer will regret his crime. IMO he is a psychopath who believes they deserved what they got. If anything he may go over the details he enjoyed and regret the mistakes that led to his arrest. IMO.

I'm struggling to understand how any of you can seriously think that there will ever, ever be a time when Garland will 'sit and think about what he's done' in any other way than a self satisfying one!

<modsnip>

Seriously, the time for that has been and gone. If it didn't happen when the mother of the child you KNOW you've beaten to death and chucked his body in a burn barrel, is looking into your eyes pleading with you ... you are dead inside.

I dont want Garland dead or brain damaged but do I care an iota if he's got a few slaps in jail already? Hell no! I did a happy dance ... if those 4 men had really wanted to kill him, they would've. They're bad guys, not pussy cats. They wanted him to know that he needs to feel fear every minute of his day and night and so do I ... <modsnip>

Still odd that DG was not segregated..His beating must/should have been foreseen. Not that I care a fig what happens to him..

Agree.

Just hearing of the recent news.

JMO
I hate to be suspicious of the jail/remand center officials but seriously this is ridiculous that just by chance other prisoners were allowed to get access to him.

Emotions were high after the trial and everyone knew this inmate wold be hated by everyone. The prisoners stay on top of this sort of news and the prisoners and the staff were well aware he was coming to their facility.

Ive seen way too many prison documentaries to not think that this could have been an "arranged" incident.

No matter if a real accident or not the remand center officials were at fault here to allow this to happen. This was predicatable.

I for one do not get any satisfaction from this. Nothing good ever comes from it. I refuse to become just like the murderers and other criminals and enjoy any sort of revenge or violence.

Not only that but we end up paying for this with real money. Our taxes are sometimes raised to pay for the huge lawsuits that get filed against the prison and jail facilities for incidents just like this. Lots of people dont realize that we end up paying for the wrongdoings of Sheriffs Jails and Prison administration errors that allow this sort of thing. Real money out of our pocket as they have to pay larger insurance premiums and pay for huge lawsuits and then come to us taxpayers to fund that.

This is why our system needs to take into account a punishment factor as part of the sentencing and that punishment needs to be severe enough to fit the crime. He basically received a Life imprisonment sentence and that is severe enough for me.

He will never feel remorse because he is not capable. The proof is he was someone that could do the crimes he did. That takes a sick mind and one who has no remorse. So let him rot as his punishment but torture and beatings become just like him if we allow that and we cannot stoop as low as him and other criminals. We cannot become them.

I can't believe that some people are actually upset that he got a taste of his own medicine in jail. How quickly we forget all the evidence that was discovered and what the victim's families had to see and hear during the trial. No pity from me for killers like Garland, Bernardo, and Rafferty.

Agree.

Just hearing of the recent news.

JMO
I hate to be suspicious of the jail/remand center officials but seriously this is ridiculous that just by chance other prisoners were allowed to get access to him.

Emotions were high after the trial and everyone knew this inmate wold be hated by everyone. The prisoners stay on top of this sort of news and the prisoners and the staff were well aware he was coming to their facility.

Ive seen way too many prison documentaries to not think that this could have been an "arranged" incident.

No matter if a real accident or not the remand center officials were at fault here to allow this to happen. This was predicatable.

I for one do not get any satisfaction from this. Nothing good ever comes from it. I refuse to become just like the murderers and other criminals and enjoy any sort of revenge or violence.

Not only that but we end up paying for this with real money. Our taxes are sometimes raised to pay for the huge lawsuits that get filed against the prison and jail facilities for incidents just like this. Lots of people dont realize that we end up paying for the wrongdoings of Sheriffs Jails and Prison administration errors that allow this sort of thing. Real money out of our pocket as they have to pay larger insurance premiums and pay for huge lawsuits and then come to us taxpayers to fund that.

This is why our system needs to take into account a punishment factor as part of the sentencing and that punishment needs to be severe enough to fit the crime. He basically received a Life imprisonment sentence and that is severe enough for me.

He will never feel remorse because he is not capable. The proof is he was someone that could do the crimes he did. That takes a sick mind and one who has no remorse. So let him rot as his punishment but torture and beatings become just like him if we allow that and we cannot stoop as low as him and other criminals. We cannot become them.

We do not become them

It does look like a set up, at the end though, it's where your priorities are.. schools, hospitals prisons, on and on.

I do not how to interpret the incident.. Publicity stunt from the institution, RM, in that case, focus on funding ? Guards having a good old time and warning DG... your new life, don't screw with us ? Anger, frustration from inmates being locked up, letting steam out? Maybe the guards are triaging, who do we keep safe tonight? I wonder if they had to persuade him to take a stroll in the common area.:blushing:

I know that if I ever have a chance to offer my condolences to the family, DG safety, could never come up.. never mind his very existence, I would be so embarrassed..

That kind of prison term comes in a bundle, with its high(well) and lows. DG privileges and his violations, are all the same to me. If i had to become involved in order to get a better prison system, it would be to keep the minor offenders out of the system..

I also have to remember that Kim Ross may be just where he wants to be if DG gets crippled or killed .. But maybe then, the prison Warden may say.. What happened at the prison, that does not prove to you that the our institution killed DG..

But as you say, lawsuit are expensive, it's better to be on the tax payers side and condemn excessive bureaucratic meddling.

I do agree with you that suffering of any kind should not be celebrate but there nothing wrong with total indifference, mixed in with a little curiosity..? Regarding DG I mean.

Just to add ... No, not giving a damned or even being happy that Garland got a few slaps is absolutely NOT the same as what he did. It absolutely is NOT sinking to his level or being 'as bad as him' ... I'm not plotting his next beating, I'm not the one doing the beating but I don't have to feel sorry for him or condemn his attackers ... you lay with dogs, you catch fleas

Just to add ... No, not giving a damned or even being happy that Garland got a few slaps is absolutely NOT the same as what he did. It absolutely is NOT sinking to his level or being 'as bad as him' ... I'm not plotting his next beating, I'm not the one doing the beating but I don't have to feel sorry for him or condemn his attackers ... you lay with dogs, you catch fleas

Thank you!
If I smirked a little when I heard that DG took a beating, that didn't make me a a triple murderer. Nor did it cause the beating. Nor did it encourage the beating. Nor is the world going to go to hell in a hand basket cuz I smirked.

<modsnip>

Imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you!
If I smirked a little when I heard that DG took a beating, that didn't make me a a triple murderer. Nor did it cause the beating. Nor did it encourage the beating. Nor is the world going to go to hell in a hand basket cuz I smirked.
<modsnip>

Imho

<modsnip>

Ridding the world of that disgusting creature would not be the same as him kidnapping, beating, torturing, cutting up and burning a 5 year old child and his grandparents who've done no wrong to anyone.

<modsnip>It's about a larger issue, of whether or not it is appropriate to tolerate prisoner abuse. Prison is part of the "justice" system in our enlightened and democratic society and ought to reflect the values that Canadians place on Justice. How can we support a prison system within which crime against prisoners is out of control?

I'm struggling to understand how any of you can seriously think that there will ever, ever be a time when Garland will 'sit and think about what he's done' in any other way than a self satisfying one!

<modsnip>

Seriously, the time for that has been and gone. If it didn't happen when the mother of the child you KNOW you've beaten to death and chucked his body in a burn barrel, is looking into your eyes pleading with you ... you are dead inside.

I dont want Garland dead or brain damaged but do I care an iota if he's got a few slaps in jail already? Hell no! I did a happy dance ... if those 4 men had really wanted to kill him, they would've. They're bad guys, not pussy cats. They wanted him to know that he needs to feel fear every minute of his day and night and so do I <modsnip>

<modsnip> I think most of the threads were generally about the actual prison conditions.. Putting a child killer in a common area with the other inmates.. and repercussions from that. As for DG, let not spent more money on him then we have to..

<modsnip>It's about a larger issue, of whether or not it is appropriate to tolerate prisoner abuse. Prison is part of the "justice" system in our enlightened and democratic society and ought to reflect the values that Canadians place on Justice. How can we support a prison system within which crime against prisoners is out of control?
Is it 'out of control'?

Is it 'out of control'?

Yes, prisoner violence is out of control when that violence hospitalizes inmates. As Balfour Der said, that is not what Canadians want, or expect, in a prison system.

Well, a 40 year old man who was in the remand for shoplifting and on suicide watch was beaten to death by his cell mate in September....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
That is, of course, awful. Shoplifters shouldn't be in jail at all in my mind but, does one isolated incident mean that it's 'out of control'?

That is, of course, awful. Shoplifters shouldn't be in jail at all in my mind but, does one isolated incident mean that it's 'out of control'?

It's not just one incident. Several incidents that occurred in the last couple of years have been posted here in the last few days.

It's not just one incident. Several incidents that occurred in the last couple of years have been posted here in the last few days.

The same way that we hear about the one happening in the streets..Is there that much of a difference?
We could patrol the street and pour money into prison, there is always going to be violence.

The same way that we hear about the one happening in the streets..Is there that much of a difference?
We could patrol the street and pour money into prison, there is always going to be violence.

I don't follow. Police arrest people who violently attack people on the street, and they do the same thing when prisoners violently attack people in prison. It doesn't matter where someone is, violence is not acceptable in the Canadian society.

I think it's important to put this in perspective. A guy who committed the most heinous, notorious crime in recent memory goes to remand. It is reported that 4 people in remand assaulted him and he received soft tissue injuries. I personally would be surprised if no one attempted to kick his butt, knowing what he did (No, that's not condoning violence, that's understanding the desire to commit violence against him)

The fact he was assaulted by 4 and only incurred minor injuries tells me the assault was stopped fairly quickly. Guards did their job.

This doesn't sound to me like a situation that has gotten "out of control". Unless they are handcuffing inmates to the wall to keep them apart, imo, every assault cannot be avoided. I don't know how many inmates process through the Remand Centre in a year, but I would guess it's in the thousands. That a small number of assaults has been reported tells me they have (mostly) been able to maintain order and safety while processing criminals, some of whom are violent.

I also believe we wouldn't have even heard about this one if it was a less newsworthy inmate.

IMO

I don't follow. Police arrest people who violently attack people on the street, and they do the same thing when prisoners violently attack people in prison. It doesn't matter where someone is, violence is not acceptable in the Canadian society.

Violence may not be acceptable in Canadian society, but it still is happening in the street and in prison. None of us encouraged DG to be beaten in prison, but if we do smile and think to ourselves that he deserved it, is that so terrible? The pain and horror he caused to his victims (and victim's families) was 1,000,000 times worse than what he was exposed to on Friday evening.

DG certainly doesn't go by the "no violence" mantra, as he had zero problem killing 3 human beings and has shown zero remorse. This is that causes the public to feel justice system is slanted to the criminals, as they get the respect, they get the presumption of innocence, they get the rights. As a person who would never dream of hurting another human being, nor an animal for that matter, I find it offensive that <modsnip> is the theme of the week now. Enough sympathy for the psycho..... he doesn't deserve it. JMO

My point is/was we should be talking about prison violence or violence in our society but DG is not the best poster boy. Totally natural that most people would not care about his difficulties.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back