Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by Sillybilly, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otto

otto Verified Expert

That sounds cold, drizzly, and miserable. Sometime after 10PM on this cold, miserable, drizzly day, someone forced this couple and their five year old grandson abruptly out of the house ... at least that's what it looks like. Who, and why?

2. otto

otto Verified Expert

With BTK, he could subdue a family on his own. Perhaps there were "people" involved.

3. otto

otto Verified Expert

The grandfather's brother phoned the house and didn't get an answer, so he drove to the house and found police. The grandmother's daughter arrived at the house at 10AM to pick up her 5 year old son. When she discovered the scene, she phone police. The homicide unit is in charge of missing persons and is investigating.

Did I get that right?

The entire family is in shock and disbelief ... six children, eleven grandchildren.
    How long had the couple been married?

I think people did hear things, or they found themselves awake and didn't know why. They should make note today about whatever they remember about waking up on Sunday night for no reason. It might help in the big picture of timelines.

4. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I feel the need to just issue a general warning about FB missing/crime community pages. Some disgusting hacker type person is auto-creating 'community' pages for crimes/missing people in the headlines and attaching trojans or worms or viruses or whatever to them. It's not just this one - it is every single criminal event/missing person that I have gone to FB to research in the past few weeks. They are somewhat easy to spot because it will be the first 2/3/4 pages listed and they have the same profile pic. I haven't noticed any that were 'groups' - instead they were all 'communities'.

Maybe someone here could start a thread about this elsewhere on WS so as not to derail this thread. It's disturbing because a lot of good people are going to end up with infected hard drives and beyond reporting the links to FB, I don't know what else to do.

5. Lava

Lava Well-Known Member

Ugh I absolutely hate cases like this. It is such a mystery!

6. 2girlzmm

2girlzmm Member

I agree this does feel more like a robbery with the sale of everything and banks not opened until Monday the money had to be in the house from the estate sale. Praying that they are found quickly and are safe.

7. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Well-Known Member

Maternal Grandparents, as per video I watched last night.

Was really hoping there would be positive developments overnight.

8. Wondergirl

Good point.

9. Wondergirl

Regarding their disposition Saturday night -

10. Coldpizza

Coldpizza Retired WS Staff

Calgary police continue search for missing boy and his grandparents
    Published Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:01AM EDT
    Last Updated Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:02AM EDT

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgar...-and-his-grandparents-1.1894229#ixzz36E49vqLk

11. Wondergirl

12. Wondergirl

13. Wondergirl

Discrepancies between what the neighbours seem to know about where the Liknes' were moving to - U.S. or Mexico as below; northern Alberta as linked above.

Could be a 'normal' reason for this, but, given the circumstances, something to chew on.

14. Wondergirl

15. HulaMum

HulaMum Member

Well shoot, I was hoping I'd wake up to see found safe in front of Nathan's name. :(

Yesterday I showed the kijiji ads to my husband (he loves kijiji and buys or sells once a week -maybe not anymore though). I just flashed him the photo and said, "Who lives here?" and he answered immediately with "older people." I'm going to go back to my original train of thought here for a bit - that someone attended the estate sale (hubby also said, "Strange - you have an estate sale after someone has died, not before"), cased the place out, and returned in the night to commit a robbery or kidnapping, only to find an additional person at the house (our sweet Nathan).

16. Wondergirl

17. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

Has it been said if the grandson asked to come to their home to spend the night OR did the grandparents ask if he could come spend the night? I have just been wondering about that.

18. HulaMum

HulaMum Member

Yes, we all put our recycling (blue)and garbage (black) bins out late evening/very early morning on pick up day. If the house has a lane, that's where they go. If no lane, the front driveway is used. The photo looks like a lane to me. After pick up, the bins need to be pulled back in.

Our bottles and cans (return for deposit) can go separately to the bottle depot. But sometimes, yes, people do search through the bins for returnable items.

19. Wondergirl

More discrepancies regarding the estate sale, perhaps reporting -

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/30/calgary-police-search-for-missing-boy-and-his-grandparents

20. matou

matou #los2188

I wish they were more specific about how the house was found and the clues that the three didn't leave voluntarily. Also wish we knew why the medical examiner was there if no body. Vomit? or other bodily fluids found? Pet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.