Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true.

They need passports. My boss and his kids are traveling to the States this summer, and they need passports. Both kids are under 16.

If the L's and N are not intending to leave Canada, then none of them will need passports. They'll just need birth certificates. I also find it difficult for them to leave the country with N. He is not a biological child. He's a grandchild and he doesn't share the same last name as the L's. In order for the L's (or anyone) to take N across the border, they would need a notarized letter and permission from N's parents.

But this is all assuming N was taken by his grandparents with the intent of crossing the border.

You need a passport to cross by plane. Not by car.
http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/kids_passport.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adults need a passport, birth certificates of children are required to leave Canada and enter the US.

Yes. But a six year old is not an adult, and I was directly disputing the statement that children under 16 needed passports in all circumstances.

I suppose it doesn't really matter - passport or birth certificate - the child needs a form of ID to cross. However, if the child was hidden, that's a moot point anyway. And yes, there is always a chance you will be asked for a notarized permission form when a child is traveling with non - custodial adults or just one custodial parent. But, again, if the child was hidden, that is also a moot point.

But I just can't quite buy the idea of two adults taking a child they *currently have plenty of access to* at the cost of the rest of their family. Would having possession. (terrible word, sorry) of one child be worth spending the rest of your life on the run and forever losing all contact with the rest of your close family?!

I meant to add that it is doubtful the grandparents would have the necessary document (Birth Certificate or Passport) for their grandson to cross the border, especially if his sleep over was a spur of the moment thing.

I agree with that, it would be very odd for them to have that unless mom gave it to them, but then mom would have to know they planned to leave the country with him, and that doesn't make sense.

I KNOW the grandparents are also considered victims at this points- but honestly, the ONLY scenario that makes sense for me has one or both of them as the kidnapper. But then there's the vehicle issue..... I seriously don't know which way to go with this one, for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

What a puzzler!

Children under 16 only need a birth cert nit a passport for a land crossing into Canada.

Yeah but they wouldn't be crossing INTO Canada, they'd be leaving Canada. And if you're not a minor child's parents/legal guardian or parent with permission from the other parent (in the case of custody/a marriage split, you can't just cross the border out of Canada with only a birth cert. You have to have proper documentation to verify you have parental permission to leave the country.

Are the photos of the grandparents issued by LE their passport photos (white background)?

Not true.
They need passports. My boss and his kids are traveling to the States this summer, and they need passports. Both kids are under 16.

If the L's and N are not intending to leave Canada, then none of them will need passports. They'll just need birth certificates. I also find it difficult for them to leave the country with N. He is not a biological child. He's a grandchild and he doesn't share the same last name as the L's. In order for the L's (or anyone) to take N across the border, they would need a notarized letter and permission from N's parents.

But this is all assuming N was taken by his grandparents with the intent of crossing the border.

We frequent the U.S with our kids, they do not need passport when travelling into States by car. Only if flying do children under 16 need passports to enter the U.S. However, if kids cross without both parents BP agents would or should ask for a letter of permission from the parents consenting to kids crossing.

U.S. Networks have picked up the story now

Parents of Missing Nathan O'Brien Plead for Return of 'Angel'

o-NATHAN-OBRIEN-570.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/parents-missing-nathan-obrien-plead-return-angel-n147211

God, that boy is beautiful. I just hope he wasn't the target in this. JMO

God, that boy is beautiful. I just hope he wasn't the target in this. JMO

Someone said to me that he looks like that boy from B.C. Michael Dunahee is who I think they meant. :(

Canadians can 'donate' social media feeds to aid search efforts

BY DYLAN ROBERTSON, CALGARY HERALD JULY 3, 2014 6:09 AM

Since a Monday evening Amber Alert, Nathan O'Brien's name has been on highway signs throughout Alberta, while his face has been printed in newspapers across Canada.

"When cases like this break, everybody wants to do something," said Amanda Pick, executive director of the Missing Children Society of Canada. "Nobody doesn't want to support that family and law enforcement."

Pick's Calgary-based group is pioneering the Most Valuable Project, which lets ordinary citizens help search efforts with a few simple clicks.

Social media users can "donate" their Facebook and Twitter feeds to allow missing-person alerts to be automatically published. Like hundreds of other third-party features, users provide their log-in and password, giving permission for posts to automatically appear without giving away any personal information.

Also dubbed "Milk Carton 2.0," the program posts whenever an Amber Alert is issued for the user's area, about five times a year.

The program launched in May 2012 through a partnership with Calgary police. The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police endorsed the program in May, with a motion asking chiefs to facilitate the program in their local forces.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ebook+feeds+search+efforts/9995661/story.html

Adult with Canadian Citizenship
Canadian Passport
Enhanced Driver's Licence/ID (EDL) (available in BC, MB, ON, QC; also proposed in NS)
NEXUS/FAST card (pre-approved low-risk travelers only)
Secure Certificate of Indian Status (subject to U.S. government approval)
Children with Canadian Citizenship
For children 15 or younger (or 16-18 years old and traveling with an organized and supervised school, religious, or other youth group):

one of the documents allowed for adults (listed above)
a Canadian birth certificate (original, photocopy, or certified copy) -- photo ID is not required
Certificate of Canadian Citizenship

Recap

Since the Amber Alert was issued, Andrus said more than 100 tips have come in. Six detectives and 80 officers have been working on the file.

Faint, reddish-brown streaks featured in TV shots along the side of the home were being tested by forensic crews, Andrus said, but had yet to be ruled as significant.

Police were asking anyone who bought items in the sale to bring pictures to a community centre on Thursday so they could get a better sense of what items were sold.

“Right now we are very positive that we are going to find these individuals and we are hoping that we are going to find them alive,” Andrus said.

The family considered offering a reward, but police have suggested that might not be helpful at this point in the investigation.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Can...ry-family-appeals-for-return-of-missing-boy/1

:-( Oh, Nathan.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Another thought. Full of rage, you are prepared to commit a crime against someone who you feel has wronged you. At the scene you are surprised by the presence of a small, innocent child and the reality of some very stiff consequences hits you. But now you're in too far. Would that be enough to make you change plans and flee with the bodies or attempt to cover your tracks and stage a kidnapping (cast suspicion towards the grandparents)?

You could be on to something here.

If this was planned the perp may have been surprised to find a sleeping child or a child that woke up to noise.

If the Ls were liquidating the contents of their home where was everybody sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member