Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very good thought. If he thought he was that smart, and hid the cash somewhere thinking LE would have nothing on him. After being released on bail he would wait until late Sunday night to go get the money from his hiding place and flee.. hmmm
Exactly! Thats what I think as well. Enough mystery for a good crime novel. ;)

I went back the the recent press conference and the Police Chief said on at least two occasions that their hope was to find the 'bodies.' Would he say that if the remains were believed to be destroyed?

Where did the wood chipper idea come from? The Airdrie acreage is a working crop farm ... why would they need a wood chipper? Keeping in mind that this farm is owned and run by an elderly couple. Woodchippers are for heavily treed properties where there is no value in the trees. It seems to me that trees that are planted in the farming community would have a lot of value.

IIRC, there was a photo 4 or 5 days ago, possibly more, with police standing by a fire pit. A few people commented that there was a wood chipper next to the fire pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back the the recent press conference and the Police Chief said on at least two occasions that their hope was to find the 'bodies.' Would he say that if the remains were believed to be destroyed?

It's just semantics. "Bodies" has a less negative connotation than "remains" or "remnants."

I think it was breach of bail conditions? He was out at 1:30 am, when his curfew is at 7 pm.

And it seems the reason for him being at the ranch was that he was thrown out of the hotel he was staying in.

I guess I know what I am doing the next time I have free time from work
Unfortunately, they took down Luke Magnotta's video. It was right after myself and another WS member viewed it. I

And we don't know if those bags were being carried away as evidence, or if the cop was just carrying a couple of random bags.
IMO, they shouldn't take photos of bags being removed then.

Any in particular you are referring to? The only one that comes to mind is "Karla". Most of the other monsters I can think of continue to sit/die in prison, thank goodness.

Kimberley Proctor's murderers, I'm worried they may eventually get out since they were so young they are able to apply for parole after 10...
Depending on the crime doesn't mean they will get it. Provided somebody from the Family shows up at the hearing. IMO.

IIRC, there was a photo 4 or 5 days ago, possibly more, with police standing by a fire pit. A few people commented that there was a wood chipper next to the fire pit.

There is a metal drum on the property that is used to burn paper products. Wasn't that a crop seeder ... rather than a wood chipper?

There is a metal drum on the property that is used to burn paper products. Wasn't that a crop seeder ... rather than a wood chipper?

Could be, I have no idea and no experience with farms, I just recall posters were referring to it as a "wood chipper."

Just a point I wanted to bring up for those not familiar with Canadian Cases. Don't let the Publication Bans influence you. I know it's hard to follow cases when it takes years to get to Trial. We don't allow camera's in the Courtroom presently but I do invite you to follow Canadian Trials your interested in. We do allow live tweets from the Courtroom. Presently it seems generally granted by Judges. I have followed a few and some of the Reporters tweeting gave excellent accounts. If there is something discussed out of the presence of the Jury reporters cannot tweet. Any I have followed the press respects this. However if u happen to be in the Courtroom you are privy to it. Typically comes out after a Verdict.
You got that right - Bravo. :) I follow a reporter here in town for criminal cases and wish I can be called for Jury duty again.

Unfortunately, they took down Luke Magnotta's video. It was right after myself and another WS member viewed it. I

I saw it. Could not get thru it but saw enough. Case closed. IMO.

This isn't a direct quote but didn't at some point during the press conference the police chief say something along the lines of - these are the only things the POI will be charged with at the minute but they will be looking into unsolved previous cases ... could it be that because of this case it may come to light that this was not the first time 'he' has committed murder?

Yes, he did say something to that effect. I was going to bring that up myself. I believe he was suggesting that it would be negligent of LE if they didn't look at other unsolved cases with an eye to this suspect. I'm paraphrasing, but I did hear that.

Woodchippers are for heavily treed properties where there is no value in the trees. It seems to me that trees that are planted in the farming community would have a lot of value.

I think that depends. I live on a rural farm property and have rented a wood chipper twice in the last year. Some trees, when felled, trimmed or whatever, can be cut for firewood (many of us still have at least one wood-burning stove or fireplace). But many others, which do have value as far as the property goes, are useless for chopping. I have numerous cedars that serve as boundary markers between different areas, and several other species of tree that are good for shade but their wood does not burn well. A chipper is very useful; you feed into it all the fallen branches, tree trimmings, storm-damaged limbs, dead wood that has fallen down, even odd bits of lumber or furniture you want to get rid of. It turns the whole lot into a mulch that can be used in flower beds, between rows in vegetable gardens, to fill in marshy spots, and so on. If you can't do your own chipping to get the mulch or wood chips you need, you have to buy them.

I don't have horses but neighbours who do are always looking for wood chips. I think they use them in the horse paddocks, not sure.

Could be, I have no idea and no experience with farms, I just recall posters were referring to it as a "wood chipper."

I remember someone asking if it was a woodchipper, but I don't recall that it was ever confirmed to be one. It is agricultural land where crops are taken off the fields annually. It is possible to see this in the google maps imagery. The trees on the land line the drive way and protect the house from the NW wind. Clearly they were planted there. I can't see any use for a wood chipper on a grain farm, so why would the owners buy a wood chipper?

You got that right - Bravo. :) I follow a reporter here in town for criminal cases and wish I can be called for Jury duty again.

I have been called twice. Only to get a last minute call case settled. Be careful what you wish for LOL. Kidding aside it can be life altering. My Husbands Biz Partner was called in on a rape case. it was devastating for him. They believed the Victim but following the Law could not Convict. It was haunted for years. So I'm good with being here.

I remember someone asking if it was a woodchipper, but I don't recall that it was ever confirmed to be one. It is agricultural land where crops are taken off the fields annually. It is possible to see this in the google maps imagery. The trees on the land line the drive way and protect the house from the NW wind. Clearly they were planted there. I can't see any use for a wood chipper on a grain farm, so why would the owners buy a wood chipper?

If he has committed other crimes, maybe it was bought for this purpose. *If* it is indeed a wood chipper, that is.

Do you have a link for that?

Police might have asked the hotel to ask him to leave just to see what he would do. They might have done this because they intended to arrest him.

"Douglas Garland, 54, was questioned in connection with the missing family in early July after being arrested on an unrelated charge.

He was re-arrested sometime Monday morning after he was asked to leave a local hotel. Garland had been staying at the hotel as part of bail conditions stemming from an unrelated charge."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-to...ents-bodies-not-found-1.1913168#ixzz37Uk9ilaE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken