CANADA Canada - Amber Manthorne, 40, Port Alberni, BC, 6 July 2022

ADMIN REMINDER

Good grief !! This new thread is rife with violations of our rules and posts have been removed.

All members need to familiarize themselves with WS Terms of Service (aka The Rules, linked in my signature).

Private means private !! Information from Private social media groups (even if you join that group) may not be brought to public discussion at Websleuths. The only approved Missing People support groups are those that are open to the public AND where a family member or close friend is a member of the Admin team.

LE have not officially named JH or anyone else as a POI or suspect in this case. Sleuthing someone who has not been officially named by LE to be a POI/suspect is not allowed. Do not make insinuations or accusations against someone who has not been named a POI.

Linking to or bringing information or images from the social media of private individuals (even though their accounts are viewable by the public) is not allowed.

Members may sleuth behind the scenes and discuss their findings in private messaging. Just don’t bring those findings to this public discussion unless/until someone is officially named a POI.

Last edited:
LE reporting today "Foul play has not been ruled out in the disappearance."

"We understand that it may be concerning to hear that the VIIMCU has been called to assist. However, we want to assure the community that this is not unusual in cases where a person’s disappearance is out of character and criminality cannot be immediately ruled out," said Insp. Kevin O’Donnell, the officer in charge of the unit.

"If criminality is ruled out, the Port Alberni RCMP will again become the primary investigating agency," he added.

CHEK news reached out to ex boyfriend Justin Hall who had this to say about Amber's disappearance;

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall."

He also claims he was not the last person to see Amber...

Ex-boyfriend says he wasn’t the last person with missing Alberni Valley woman​

Mounties found Hall earlier this week.

“Investigators are really not in a position to disclose the specifics about where he was located or when but we can say that we have been in contact with him and investigators have followed up with him so the search for Amber continues. We’ve closed that piece off and we continue to search for Amber,” said Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet of BC RCMP.

CHEK news reached out to ex boyfriend Justin Hall who had this to say about Amber's disappearance;

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall."

He also claims he was not the last person to see Amber...

Ex-boyfriend says he wasn’t the last person with missing Alberni Valley woman​

Mounties found Hall earlier this week.

“Investigators are really not in a position to disclose the specifics about where he was located or when but we can say that we have been in contact with him and investigators have followed up with him so the search for Amber continues. We’ve closed that piece off and we continue to search for Amber,” said Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet of BC RCMP.

More from above article.

On Wednesday, CHEK News got a message from Hall’s email address.

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall.

After our argument, I panicked, and I just wanted to get away from everyone. I wasn’t able to contact anyone because I didn’t have a cell phone, and by the time I did it was too late, I was already guilty in your eyes.”

The email goes on to say, “I read a pamphlet that was posted around Nanaimo that I was the last person with Amber. That is not true. I spoke to the RCMP and told him what happened that night. I understand that everyone is very on edge but I am part of this too. I lost the only person that still had my back. I have been calling her cell just to hear her voice and then I cry till I have no tears left. I would give anything to get her in my arms.”

Things that make you go hmmmm.

More from above article.

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall.

After our argument, I panicked, and I just wanted to get away from everyone. I wasn’t able to contact anyone because I didn’t have a cell phone, and by the time I did it was too late, I was already guilty in your eyes.”

The email goes on to say, “I read a pamphlet that was posted around Nanaimo that I was the last person with Amber. That is not true. I spoke to the RCMP and told him what happened that night. I understand that everyone is very on edge but I am part of this too. I lost the only person that still had my back. I have been calling her cell just to hear her voice and then I cry till I have no tears left. I would give anything to get her in my arms.”

from above
"The email goes on to say, “I read a pamphlet that was posted around Nanaimo..."

Sounds as though he's in Nanaimo.

JMO

"Search efforts for Amber Manthorne are now concentrated just outside the city around Great Central Lake near Manthorne’s home, said friend Kristie St. Claire, who went to school with the missing woman."

"The search area is extensive and includes logging road and lakes, she said, so everything from drones to dogs and divers has been deployed."

apparently her bf hasn’t been helping with searches:

“…according to friends of Manthorne, Hall has been missing from every organized search since.

“I just don’t know. You would think that would be … if I were him, I would be [searching], but I’m not him,” said St. Claire. “People are doing what makes them feel they are helping it’s the right thing to do.”

More from above article.

I may have missed it the first read through, but that quote just jumped out at me; "After our argument, I panicked..."

I know it's against the rules to sleuth/insinuate anyone who isn't named a POI, so I won't.

But I will say, according to that person's own account, Amber got into an argument with one of the last known people to see her. I would like to know more about that situation.

Also from that article;
"The search was expected to continue until dark, then resume on Sunday, unless the clues they are looking for is found."

Do we know what those clues are?

Last edited:
Talk about word salad. What exactly does this mean?

“We’ve closed that piece off and we continue to search for Amber,” said Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet of BC RCMP.”

What “piece” is she talking about and what exactly was “closed off”? The statement is unnecessarily vague.

I think lack of information can hinder a search or the public‘s help especially in this day and age of web sleuthing. This site is a great example but there’s also other online resources. I know they try to protect the investigation but I think we’ve all seen cases where further information could have been beneficial to the public/volunteers while not compromising an active investigation. You never know who might have information especially when some details are revealed that might prompt someone’s memory or cause a recollection of an event. Not saying it’s the case here but the police sometimes outsmart themselves and it’s frustrating for many with an interest or connection to a case.

She seems to be referring to the ex-bf.

More from above article.

Anyone else find it odd that friends, family, and LE all refer to him as her ex? When I read his comments, my first thought was wondering if he realized or accepted the fact that they are no longer a couple? Definitely MOO.

''St. Claire and some other volunteers will be back at the gravel pit on Monday morning, talking to truckers, handing out missing posters with Manthorne’s photo on it, and visiting nearby homeless camps. Administrators will be compiling all the information collected during the two searches, including areas that were searched, and passing on important information to the RCMP. Anyone who has information to pass on, including areas where people have searched or areas of interest, can email findingambermanthorne@outlook.com. Texts or voicemails can be left at 250-730-1544.''

''Although volunteers are holding out hope that Manthorne will be found alive, searchers were given tips on what evidence to look for if that should not be the case.''

"Now, those volunteers, which remain in the hundreds, are refocusing their efforts from Alberni to Ninatti Road near Nanaimo. Search and rescue teams have been there, but more searchers on ATVs and dirt bikes are joining, to explore areas that haven’t yet been seen."

Still no sign of her but there has been some media updates.

Efforts to find a missing 40-year-old Port Alberni woman have shifted back to a rural, forested area south of Nanaimo where her 2021 Jeep Compass was found more than a week ago.

After several days of scouring the area near Amber Manthorne’s home outside Port Alberni at Great Central Lake, searchers decided to shift their focus to where her vehicle was found, friend Kristie St. Claire said Monday.

Manthorne has been missing since July 7.

“I’m pretty confident that we essentially combed the entire Port Alberni countryside by Saturday,” she said. “I’m feeling better in my heart about finding her alive than I did about a week ago.”

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit was called in to assist with the case last week.

St. Claire and others set out on Sunday to the vicinity of the gravel pit near Timberlands and Ninatti roads west of Cassidy where the vehicle turned up.

Hundreds of volunteers, who have been dubbed “Amber’s Army,” are helping with the search, many of them with ATVs, St. Claire said.

Some brought dirt bikes in the back of their trucks so they could cover more ground, she said.

St. Claire said she and a group of friends are keeping things organized.

“We were giving out posters, talking,” she said. “Everyone that stopped and talked to us, or everyone that stopped and parked in the lot, we approached, we gave information, snacks, Gatorade, water.”

People went out on the back roads and checked every street and location they knew, St. Claire said.

Areas that were checked have been marked with flagging tape.

“They showed up and they made phone calls and they networked,” St. Claire said. “I feel really good about the connections we made and all the information is going back to our tip handlers.”

The search organizers have created their own tipline at 250-730-1544, which can also handle texts and screen shots. Emails can be sent to findingambermanthorne@outlook.com and there is a Facebook page at Finding Amber Manthorne.

Port Alberni RCMP can be reached at 250-723-2424.

St. Claire said the core search group is looking at establishing a framework that could benefit others in a similar situation.

Manthorne is described as five-foot-two and 120 pounds with long blond hair and blue eyes. She runs a cleaning company, works at a retail marine store and helps a friend in a photography business. St. Claire has said that it is totally out of character for her to disappear.

She was originally thought to be in the company of Justin Hall, but he has since been located.

Source: Search for missing Port Alberni woman shifts back to Cassidy area

More

Hundreds of volunteers spend weekend searching for Amber Manthorne

Roughly 100 volunteers joined weekend search for missing Port Alberni woman

Ex-boyfriend says he wasn’t the last person with missing Alberni Valley woman (J made a statement to MSM and LE seem confident he's not involved.)

Note to admins/mods: The following are YouTube videos coming from CHEK Media, local MSM and are relevant to the case.

'Amber's Army' starts new search for missing Port Alberni woman at Nanaimo gravel pit

Volunteers comb backroads, lakes in search for missing woman Amber Manthorne

1659974114913.jpeg
A silhouette of a woman holding up her arms behind a campfire with a lake and darkening sky in the background
Vancouver Island woman Amber Manthorne dances by a campfire.

Tseshaht Elected Chief Councillor Waamiiš (Ken Watts) went to school with Amber and remained her friend throughout the years. When he learned Amber was missing, he and his community offered to help out however they could.

“We have a responsibility to look after the territory. The land, the air, the water, the animals, and the people too. We feel an obligation, even though they may not be citizens of our community, when things happen, we feel like it’s our job to step up. “

You can listen to ‘Finding Amber‘ wherever you listen to your podcasts.

On Monday, a new podcast will launch featuring Manthorne’s story in hopes of generating new leads.

“If I can play a role in helping now, I’m determined to try,” Laura Palmer says in her podcast Island Crime: Finding Amber.

“And it may blow this wide open and generate a lot more discussion,” said St. Claire.

Journalist and Port Alberni resident, Laura Palmer profiled missing Nanaimo woman Lisa Marie Young in 2020.

Her upcoming podcast will release three episodes on Manthorne on Aug. 8, marking one month since the Alberni woman disappeared.

“Oh, I definitely think we are very close to finding more with what happened with her. Whether it’s her belongings or her remains,” added St. Claire.

Last edited:
Earlier this week, Port Alberni RCMP issued a news release stating that Amber may be in the company of a man, that man has since been located and police no longer believe that Amber is with him.
Just hearing about this case and catching up. The above quote is just….dumb. Well yeah, obviously if you found him and not her, then she’s not with him. Does that mean that they no longer believe she was EVER with him?? It’s so unclear and frustrating. I won’t sleuth the bf or ex or whatever he is, but his statements seem off and very overdone.

Sad for this woman and her friends and family. I hope new info comes soon.

All JMO

Aug 8 2022
1660489712142.png
Chairs on the front porch of Amber Manthorne’s home on Great Central Lake sit empty, one month after the Port Alberni woman was reported missing. (PHOTO COURTESY LAURA PALMER)

''Podcast host Laura Palmer on Monday, Aug. 8 released three episodes relating to Manthorne’s disappearance: Empty Cottage, Amber’s Heart of Gold and On Edge. The first episode lays out the timeline of Manthorne’s disappearance, the concurrent disappearance and reappearance of her ex-boyfriend Justin Hall, and the massive public search effort that “Amber’s Army” has undertaken.''
''
Do you have a tip about the search for Amber Manthorne? Call the tip line at 250-730-1544, email findingambermanthorne@outlook.com or call the Port Alberni RCMP at 250-723-2424. To reach Palmer, email laura@laurapalmer.ca or go online to islandcrime.ca.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back