CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
a few snips from video clip:

• on the 01:05 mark : The day before her body was found, police arrested a 50-year-old homeless man nearby on unrelated charges ...
    Police are not saying if he is a suspect or not, and they are advising people in this secluded area to continue to be cautious.

• on the 01:45 mark : The Hamilton Police Service would like to hear from anyone who had contact with G in the days febore her death.

• on the 01:55 mark : She had 2 dogs. They were found locked in a room ...
CTV article and VIDEO clip : http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/...-memorial-murder-110105/20110105/?hub=SWOHome

Thanks, Hazel.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but, for the timeline:

-2:30 am on Thursday, December 30th, (Wednesday night), dogs are heard barking wildly, presumably by a neighbour.

-Dogs were later found "locked" in a room in the home. The dogs were known to be aggressive, and Audrey had to restrain them prior to anyone entering the home (which, by some accounts, even her FRIENDS did not enter her home).

-Wednesday, December 29th: Homeless man is arrested on unrelated charges

-Thursday, December 30th: Young gardner friend/employee goes to deliver the cake that he or his wife, the pastry chef (depending on which article you read), baked for Audrey, as previously arranged. He finds Audrey.

A few questions:

1. If the homeless man was arrested the day before her body was found, depending on the time, that would be prior to her being murdered, wouldn't it?

2. Did LE do a toxicology anaylsis on the dogs? How would the perp contain the dogs? What was Audrey's normal routine for restraining the dogs? Did she put them in a restraining harness? Where were the harnesses found?

3. Signs of forced entry?

4. If the neighbours (presumably) heard the dogs barking wildly at 2:30 a.m., they must have been very, very loud, and possibly woke up the neighbours. Exactly how close are the neighbours, anyway?

5. I may have missed it on the thread, but, is there a link for the information regarding the "man seen walking down the driveway"? I thought I read that here, and wondered where that came from?

Thanks, Hazel.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but, for the timeline:

-2:30 am on Thursday, December 30th, (Wednesday night), dogs are heard barking wildly, presumably by a neighbour.

-Dogs were later found "locked" in a room in the home. The dogs were known to be aggressive, and Audrey had to restrain them prior to anyone entering the home (which, by some accounts, even her FRIENDS did not enter her home).

-Wednesday, December 29th: Homeless man is arrested on unrelated charges

-Thursday, December 30th: Young gardner friend/employee goes to deliver the cake that he or his wife, the pastry chef (depending on which article you read), baked for Audrey, as previously arranged. He finds Audrey.

A few questions:

1. If the homeless man was arrested the day before her body was found, depending on the time, that would be prior to her being murdered, wouldn't it?

2. Did LE do a toxicology anaylsis on the dogs? How would the perp contain the dogs? What was Audrey's normal routine for restraining the dogs? Did she put them in a restraining harness? Where were the harnesses found?

3. Signs of forced entry?

4. If the neighbours (presumably) heard the dogs barking wildly at 2:30 a.m., they must have been very, very loud, and possibly woke up the neighbours. Exactly how close are the neighbours, anyway?

5. I may have missed it on the thread, but, is there a link for the information regarding the "man seen walking down the driveway"? I thought I read that here, and wondered where that came from?

Thanks to you too Wondergirl :) we need a timeline. There is a lot of information that LE has shared, but IMHO there are still a lot of details that are not clear.

My understanding was that it was the Fergusons' dogs that were barking, not Audrey's dogs, but it could be bad reporting. Also, I'm not sure if that happened Wednesday 2:30 am (Tuesday night) or the following night :confused:

If the dogs were heard barking Wednesday night, then IMO it would be a blessing for the homeless man to have been picked up and arrested on Wednesday. I wish we knew what things are missing from Audrey's home. I believe it was Greenthumb who suggested that perhaps Audrey's computer could be one of the things missing. If that turns out to be the case, I fail to see why a homeless person would steal that.
No neighbours reported seeing or hearing anything suspicious over the past few days. But the Fergusons’ dogs suddenly began barking wildly around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/307949--police-investigating-ancaster-area-homicide

A few questions:

( 2 ) Did LE do a toxicology anaylsis on the dogs? How would the perp contain the dogs? What was Audrey's normal routine for restraining the dogs? Did she put them in a restraining harness? Where were the harnesses found?

( 3 ) Signs of forced entry?
< snipped by me for brevity >

( 2 ) I'm sure LE would have done some tox analysis on the dogs, but IMHO they probably wont release those findings to the public.

I haven't read anything regarding harnesses. Here are a few 'quotes' that might help shed some light. (By the way, first time a notice a 'computer club' being mentioned).
Since retiring from Hamilton's Westdale Secondary School in 2006, Gleave enjoyed playing tennis, talking about gardening and meeting up with old colleagues for a computer club, neighbour Boyd Sharp recalled.

Gleave had two big and "mean" German Shepherds who she would lock up when Sharp and his wife, Margaret, would visit.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2912179
Gleave’s two German Shepherds, Togi and Schatzen, were in a different area of the house than where Gleave’s body was found.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/309093--friends-remember-audrey-gleave
on the 01:55 mark : She had 2 dogs. They were found locked in a room ...

video clip: http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110105/gleave-memorial-murder-110105/20110105/?hub=SWOHome

( 3 ) I haven't read anything regarding "forced entry" nor if door(s) were found unlocked/open when the handyman got there with the cake. I am assuming door was unlocked, and that is how he was able to find Audrey :(

Timeline, from what the media has reported...

Dec 22nd - Coffee with her friends
Dec 26th - Christmas at a friends house
Dec 27th - Soup delivered to AG's house as she was not feeling well
Dec 27th - AG emailed neighbour
Dec 27/28th - AG visited vet to pick up meds for dogs a few days before Dec 30th (as he was last to see AG alive)
Dec 27/28/29th - Sometime before coffee time on Wed, AG sent email saying she was ill
Dec 29th - 2:30 am Fergusons dogs barking wildly
Dec 29th - Homeless man arrested
Dec 30th - 11am Handyman makes cake delivery and discovers AG

Did I miss anything...

Audrey's last e-mail

Gleave had e-mailed someone in their group to say she was not feeling well and wouldn&#8217;t make it to Wednesday&#8217;s coffee meet-up, he said.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/307949--police-investigating-ancaster-area-homicide
She sent an email to a neighbour last Monday, and that this was the last contact anyone had with her, police said. The electronic message contained a link to an audio or video clip of the song Amazing Grace, according to police.

http://www.therecord.com/news/canad...arn-public-after-horrific-killing-of-woman-73

<snips>

Gleave&#8217;s neighbours Linda and Daryl Ferguson described her as recluse, &#8220;almost like a hermit.&#8221;

Since then, Gleave e-mailed Ferguson occasionally, she said. They were not personal messages, rather jokes, riddles, links.

The last e-mail Linda received from Gleave was Monday night. It was a link to a version of Amazing Grace.

Monday night is the last time police believe anyone had contact with Gleave.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/307949--vicious-homicide-leaves-retired-teacher-dead

Questions:

If her last e-mail was to Linda (sent Monday night, apparently after Audrey's friend dropped off the soup), when was the e-mail regarding her not attending Wednesday coffee group sent? and to whom? How did Audrey knew days in advance that she was not going to feel well by Wednesday?

Timeline, from what the media has reported...

Dec 26th - Christmas at a friends house
Dec 27th - Soup delivered to AG's house as she was not feeling well
Dec 27/28th - AG visited vet to pick up meds for dogs a few days before Dec 30th (as he was last to see AG alive)
Dec 29th - 2:30 am Fergusons dogs barking wildly
Dec 29th - Homeless man arrested
Dec 30th - 11am Handyman makes cake delivery and discovers AG

Did I miss anything...

Thanks Flip.

As per yesterday's post, we don't know when AG visited the vet to pick up meds. Hopefully some reporter could clear this up for us, since it's very important to know when and who was the last person to see her alive.

I am personally unsure when the dogs were heard barking ... wee hours of Wednesday or Thursday?

I guess you can add the e-mails to the timeline as well.

Thanks Flip.

As per yesterday's post, we don't know when AG visited the vet to pick up meds. Hopefully some reporter could clear this up for us, since it's very important to know when and who was the last person to see her alive.

I am personally unsure when the dogs were heard barking ... wee hours of Wednesday or Thursday?

I guess you can add the e-mails to the timeline as well.

Correct, we do not know the date or time, but from what we know I am assuming it was Dec 27 or dec 28 if it is correct that the vet was the last to see her alive. It was stated that the vet saw AG a "few" days before her death so I ruled out Dec 29th as it is not a "few" but only a day before. It would have been after the friend dropped off soup on Dec 27th, I ruled out Dec 27 that she went for the meds as she was not feeling well.

As for the dogs barking, I am assuming that people know how to tell time and give dates, it was stated that the dogs were barking wildly on Wed Dec 29th at 230am, if it was thursday it would be Thurs Dec 30 at 230am.

I wonder if it was common practice for AG to lock the dogs up at night while she slept. I know a lot of people who do this to prevent them from wandering around the house and disturbing them while they sleep. If this is the case, then I suppose we could assume that the murder may have happened at night after she had gone to bed since the dogs were locked in a room. And if the dogs were used to being locked up overnight, they wouldn't likely bother much if they heard someone walking around the house.

The neighbours barking dogs in the early morning hours of Dec 29th combined with the arrest of the homeless man that day is definitely interesting. What prompted the police to come out that day and find and arrest the man? Obviously someone called something in. So perhaps he was wandering around late at night on Dec 28th and in the early morning hours of Dec 29th in the vicinity of AG's home.

Considering that the last contact anyone had with her was the 27th, the murder could have occured during that time frame.

The homeless man in this case is looking pretty suspect IMO.

I also wonder what movie was shot on the street a couple of years ago. :waitasec:

I wish we knew what things are missing from Audrey's home. I believe it was Greenthumb who suggested that perhaps Audrey's computer could be one of the things missing. If that turns out to be the case, I fail to see why a homeless person would steal that.

Actually it was me who suggested that a laptop was taken. It is something that might be missed right away by LE, so awareness that it was taken. It can easily fit in a back pack and could be sold for quick cash.

A bit of confusion:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2915258

"...Retired veterinarian DC of Ancaster said Gleave was at his house just days before her body was found Dec. 30...."

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/309093--friends-remember-audrey-gleave

"....Gleave also met with former Westdale Secondary School colleagues for coffee every Wednesday. She cancelled last Monday, saying she was ill. [Not sure when she cancelled]

and

"....&#8220;They won&#8217;t be euthanized,&#8221; said Gleave&#8217;s veterinarian, DC, who knew her for 30 years and last saw her a couple of days before Christmas...."

That first statement could be true if we hadn't heard that he was the last to see Ms. Gleave alive and her friend saw her on the 27th. Either there's poor reporting or people can't get their stories straight. Which is it? A couple of days before Christmas or just before her death, on or around the 29th-30th? Being that Christmas is smack dab in the middle of all this, I would think that that would jog people's memories as to what happened on which day. If Ms. Gleave purchased some meds from her vet, I would think he'd have some sort of record for that.

And it was the neighbors, the F's, who reported that their dogs were barking:

"...No neighbours reported seeing or hearing anything suspicious over the past few days. But the F&#8217;s dogs suddenly began barking wildly around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday [Dec. 29th]...."

Who knows? The dogs could have been barking at a passing deer or rabbit.

Lots of detail in article, posted a few hours ago.
http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/318548--should-the-public-be-vigilant-yes-say-cops
Should the public be vigilant? Yes, say cops

HUNTING A KILLER Hamilton police, seen earlier this week at the scene of Audrey Gleave&#8217;s murder, are still awaiting the results of critical forensic testing.
The Hamilton Spectator/Scott Gardner
Catching Audrey Gleave&#8217;s killer is quite possibly the highest priority criminal case in the province right now. Yet more than a week after her body was discovered, test results that could lead to an arrest are still not in from Ontario&#8217;s only forensic laboratory.

Her murder has been called vicious. The worst that cops here have seen in a decade. She was stabbed repeatedly in her own home. Injured in other ways as well. And there was a sexual component to it, police have said.

A thought occurred to me about the handyman. FWIW, I despise that label/title as my husband is in the construction trades (he's a home builder and developer) and "handyman" is a job title which trivializes the work required to repair and maintain a house. But that is the term being used in the media so I'll go with it.

Anyway, it dawned on me that Ms. Gleave might have been far more comfortable and close to this young man than with her peers as he's close in age to many of her former students. She would be in control and thus might have let down her guard with him. I'll bet that she talked to him about physics, that's for sure. She might have shown him family heirlooms that others didn't know about. He might have even built display cases or installed a safe for her. I would think that he knows far more about her daily habits than anyone else.

In the video I watched of his interview, he seemed genuinely shaken up by this event. His girlfriend or wife looked genuinely worried about him as he spoke to the press. However, if I'd found the stabbed body of a friend or neighbor, I wouldn't be able to speak at all. Maybe he's receiving medication and counseling. I truly hope so as this would scar a person forever.

Being that he's a young guy with a partner and presumably friends and cohorts, I wonder if he or his partner might have talked about Ms. Gleave and her home. It would only be natural. He might have mentioned some things of value in her home. He might have mentioned how she kept to a strict routine and what day she was always out. A person (friend or someone simply listening in) could have then taken it upon themselves to approach that house with ill intent.

I hadn't read this article when I posted the previous post. It does seem that Ms. Gleave liked to teach and she seemed more comfortable with younger people. Even though the handyman wasn't a student, he, in essence, became one. He starting working for her when he was only 16--the same age teen she had taught. I find it interested that she initiated a hug and also that he realized how awkward it was.

I also noted that she smoked. I wonder if she stepped outside--possibly to that bench--to smoke. She could have had a cigarette outside and someone followed her back into the house, where she was killed. Being winter, she might have kept only certain parts of the house heated and that would have been where the dogs were. Her body might have been found in an area of the house which she didn't heat.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/309473--that-s-so-audrey

"PK met Gleave about six years ago while working part-time at a small engine shop and began helping her around her house and garden. He shared a story about the first time Gleave hugged him &#8211; something she seldom did.

They were gardening and planting flowers and Gleave was sharing, &#8220;in excruciating detail,&#8221; all the particular reasons for doing things in a particular way, he said. At the end of the exhausting day, she turned to PK and asked if he had learned anything. When he replied, &#8220;of course,&#8221; she hugged him.&#8220;We shared one of the more awkward two-second hugs..."

and

"...While private was the word many people used to describe Gleave, V said she was many things: animal lover, someone who loved her smokes and candies, coffee groupie, bargain shopper, car-buff, funny and stubborn."

more at link

I had to take a break. Do others have the experience of sleuthing and coming upon something that just knocks you flat? I've been researching the name Doveika, Ms. Gleave's maiden name. As has been noted the name seems to be of either Latvian or Lithuanian heritage. I just did read about Latvian and Lithuanian Jews during the Holocaust and I had to put my head down and cry for a while. I'd never read specifically about the Holocaust and these two countries and I learned that over 35,000 Jews were exterminated/murdered/executed there. In Lithuania, the number was between 200,000-250,000.

Oh Lord, those poor souls. Deep breath.....

Anyway, the mass exterminations started in 1941. The numbers do not count those of Romani blood--the Gypsies. I surely don't know if the Doveika family was Jewish or had Romani blood but that would surely be a reason to emigrate at that particular time. Ms. Gleave was said to be born "here" (I'm assuming in Canada) in 1937. It's quite clear that wealthy families and those with connections got out earlier as "purges" began in the early 30s. I'm wondering if Mr. and Mrs. Doveika emigrated not long before Audrey was born.

Things were horrid for Jews and a number of other groups throughout the 30s and 40s in Lithuania and Latvia and possibly Mrs. Doveika "disappeared" due to a mental illness or breakdown after Audrey was born--a new country, trauma, and a pregnancy. Maybe their only child just wasn't given the full details, as was common in those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Latvia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Lithuania

Being raised by a father who had lost his wife, in some fashion, and might very possibly have weathered horrible trauma before arriving in a new country could certainly cause a smart young girl to keep to herself and lose herself in her studies. It's not even known if her father did raise her. He's not listed in her obituary.

I found this:

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Lithuanian+SSR

"....A fundamental work of literary theory and criticism is the academic History of Lithuanian Literature (vols. 1&#8211;4, 1957&#8211;68), written by a group of authors.....including K. Doveika (b. 1912)....."

It looks like a man named Kostas Doveika was a well know academic.

Clearly Audrey was very bright. I would be surprised if at least one of her parents wasn't a scientist.

I came across this link, which is an abstract from "Nuclear Data Sheets" published in Dec. 1967. One of the authors was "A. Doveika", from McMaster University/ Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories. I suspect it was either Audrey or her father.

Compendium of thermal-neutron-capture &#947;-ray measurements part I Z&#8804;46

G.A. Bartholomewa, A. Doveika*, a, K.M. Eastwooda, S. Monaro†, a, L.V. Groshevb, A.M. Demidovb, V.I. Pelekhovb and L.L. Sokolovskiib

a Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited Chalk River, Ontario, Canada

b I. V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy, Moscow, U. S. S. R.

Available online 4 November 2010.

A compilation is presented of thermal-neutron-capture &#947;-ray energies and intensities with decay schemes, examples of original data, and fully corrected spectral distributions. A table of stable isotopes with abundances, thermal-neutron radiative-capture cross sections, spins, parities, and other information of value to neutron-capture &#947;-ray spectroscopy is included.

* Present address: Physics Department, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario† Permanent address: Département de Physique, Université de Montréal, Montréal, Quebec

bbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member