Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding it very difficult to believe that, if they decided to suicide themselves, that they would choose hanging.

The fact that one of their adult children could have discovered their bodies - a person having hanged oneself would be a horrid scene to witness.

Of anything they could have done, they could have disappeared - they had planned to go to Florida in a few weeks. I just can't see them in a double suicide. Just my opinion of course.

What caught my attention was the photo of Honey Sherman receiving the award in November. I didn't recognize her at first with blond hair. I've only seen photos of her with brown hair. Sometimes a person changes her or his appearance when they are about to make a drastic change in their lives.

By now the police would have interviewed close friends of both of the Shermans. Perhaps she was considering leaving him and starting a new life. Just a possibility for motive - if this is a murder-suicide.

If not a murder suicide caused by him, then it could have been someone else who had pure hate in his heart.

I'm aware that the police have asked all of the neighbors to view their surveillance tapes.

The post mortem examination will reveal some answers, I believe, to the investigators.

I always feel so bad for the loved ones who remain behind. Questions will haunt them and that is cruel, in my opinion.

eta: My intent is not to be judgmental. It's just that I tend to always feel great sympathy for the ones left behind.

I believe he would be capable of killing his wife, given the right circumstances, personality wise.

Unfortunately, we see murder - suicide committed by men against their family members too often. The men who tend to commit such terrible crimes tend to be authoritarian personalities who, when depressed, are convinced that they must take their loved ones with them. They're people who don't recognize or respect their spouse's independence and autonomy, refusing to accept their loved ones may get along fine without them once they're gone.

According to news reports, the husband had only recently retired. Retirement can be a very stressful situation for business execs who have the hard - charging, Type A personalities. They have a difficult time adjusting to not being in charge of things, in power. Most adjust, but some struggle with depression.

With what is known, it does sound like a very unusual murder-suicide. That said, it's also an unusual way to murder someone, too.

Will have to wait to learn the autopsy results.

The family called on Toronto police “to conduct a thorough, intensive and objective criminal investigation,” adding it was “irresponsible” for police officials to advise local media about a theory “which neither family, their friends nor the colleagues believe to be true.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/deaths...erman-and-wife-under-investigation-1513462163

Mr. Sherman found himself and his company in the epicenter of a legal uproar in the U.S. in recent years, after Apotex launched a cheaper, generic version of Plavix, a best-selling blood thinner. In late 2011, the privately held Apotex was ordered by a court to pay roughly $440 million in damages to drugmakers Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. and Sanofi in a patent-infringement case.

Frank saying “no comment” is a stunner.

Per your link, he posted this on Instagram

“Honey & Barry Sherman were respectful to the whole world with their incredible generosity! I hope the media does the same with their memory. Their family & friends are inconsolable with this unexpected horrific tragedy!” he wrote.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...n-and-wife-as-murder-suicide/article37357096/

" A man who identified himself as a personal trainer arrived at the scene saying he had an appointment to train Ms. Sherman. He asked if he could duck under the police tape to get inside, and was told no. He spoke briefly with officers and left visibly shaken."

I wonder why he expected to be allowed inside.

Oh dear, that's like a scene straight out of an Agatha Christie novel, the vivacious younger-seeming wife and her personal trainer. But I think it must just be very boring for the reporters, standing around in the cold.

I noticed this very interesting paragraph in the Globe article
While Ms. Sherman was an outgoing socialite who had a passion for several charities, Mr. Sherman was more reserved and didn’t like going to community events, according to those who knew the couple personally.

Friends and colleagues have long said that Mr. Sherman was consumed with work and that he devoted almost all of his time and energy to Apotex, frequently sleeping for only a few hours a night. He had almost no outside interests

Some other sources note he'd stepped down as CEO of his company but was executive chairman. I wonder how it was working for him to be possibly much less involved in running the business, seeing other people taking it over.

I believe he would be capable of killing his wife, given the right circumstances, personality wise.

Dear Kiwi50,

I thought of your post when I read more about their "opposite" personalities:

From the article (below):

"While Honey Sherman was known for her warm personality, her husband was famous for being cantankerous."

“She was a very outgoing, charming, bombastic lady and he was introverted, quiet, an unbelievably hardworking guy. That’s why, together as a couple, they worked so well together,” said Paul Godfrey, a friend of the Shermans and the chief executive officer of Postmedia, which owns this newspaper.

http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...after-bodies-found-in-couples-toronto-mansion

Since they had been at the home since 1985 and now in their 70's they are selling? It is said that they were going to build another home but really I wonder if they were separating. Maybe they got in some sort of altercation and he killed his wife, then decides to take his own life. Maybe she wanted to leave him and he didn't want her to leave, they fight and she's killed. Then he brings her body to hang with him because he is making sure she is not leaving him.

Security issues, felt unsafe?

Aged 70 and 75. Wonder if either of them had recently gotten a diagnosis which seemed hopeless ? Why were they selling their home ? Really strange case. jmo

I agree that it is quite mysterious.

The post mortem examinations will reveal clues. I hope the police have answers soon.

I believe there is more to this sad story. I don't believe it's a murder suicide. A 70 year old killing his wife, moving her body to the basement, then hang her and himself... It's unbelievable. He would have to be Superman to do it.

I agree completely that that is the height of absurdity that this man actually dragged his wife down to the basement her lifeless body so that he could commit suicide in his crummy downstairs lap pool. It just does not ring true. It also says a lot to me that the family is completely against the idea of a murder-suicide. Usually if someone is suicidal then deep down you would know it. If the family is adamant that suicide or murder suicide could not be true I am all the more certain that this whole thing was staged and both were murdered. Forget the idea that a seventy-year-old man can't drag his wife's lifeless body down to the basement and then hang her lifeless body. Forget that... I still don't believe that this billionaire would choose the downstairs lap pool of a house he was selling for his suicide comfort spot.

Unfortunately, we see murder - suicide committed by men against their family members too often. The men who tend to commit such terrible crimes tend to be authoritarian personalities who, when depressed, are convinced that they must take their loved ones with them. They're people who don't recognize or respect their spouse's independence and autonomy, refusing to accept their loved ones may get along fine without them once they're gone.

According to news reports, the husband had only recently retired. Retirement can be a very stressful situation for business execs who have the hard - charging, Type A personalities. They have a difficult time adjusting to not being in charge of things, in power. Most adjust, but some struggle with depression.

With what is known, it does sound like a very unusual murder-suicide. That said, it's also an unusual way to murder someone, too.

Will have to wait to learn the autopsy results.

Where did you read that he was retired?? I thought they did a welfare check on them because he hadn’t shown up for work that day [they were discovered]?

I agree completely that that is the height of absurdity that this man actually dragged his wife down to the basement her lifeless body so that he could commit suicide in his crummy downstairs lap pool. It just does not ring true. It also says a lot to me that the family is completely against the idea of a murder-suicide. Usually if someone is suicidal then deep down you would know it. If the family is adamant that suicide or murder suicide could not be true I am all the more certain that this whole thing was staged and both were murdered. Forget the idea that a seventy-year-old man can't drag his wife's lifeless body down to the basement and then hang her lifeless body. Forget that... I still don't believe that this billionaire would choose the downstairs lap pool of a house he was selling for his suicide comfort spot.

While I have an open mind on who caused the deaths, I know plenty of seventy year old men (and some older) who would be quite capable of carrying a body downstairs.

This is just unbelievable. I cannot believe that two wealthy Philanthropists would believe that murder/suicide was an option!
It just does not mesh with their value system.
The cousins on the other hand....???

Would it be possible to hang yourself from that railing while sitting?

I have felt from the beginning that Honey Sherman would not suicide herself - especially with the method of hanging - because one of her adult children could have found her. Finding a person who had hanged herself or himself, to me, would be a horrible scene to ever forget once someone saw this, especially a loved one.

From everything I've been reading about Mrs. Sherman, she seemed to live for contributing towards the welfare of others. Her generosity seemed to have no limits. It appeared that she derived joy from helping others.

This excerpt from the article (below) makes me further believe that Honey Sherman would not suicide herself.

"Honey, the daughter of Holocaust survivors, grew up so poor, she and her sister had to live in a passageway, says Ziner."

“There was always a groundedness to her and an understanding of where she came from,” she said. “I was touched personally by her little acts of kindness.”

http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...rrific-death-of-jewish-community-power-couple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer