Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Dec 15, 2017.

1. rickcross

rickcross Well-Known Member

I'd consider petitioning the Supreme Court and going to "great lengths" lol.

dotr likes this.
  2. JDG

JDG Websleuther

3. casesensitive

casesensitive Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too. Steve Ryan has stopped reporting on the case also. Other than recently stating that his source "who is close to the investigation" said the 911 call has nothing to do with the Sherman deaths, he stopped reporting and being quoted about the case in other media articles after the TPS media presser.

4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

5. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Noting, again..
    May 27, 2019
    Man posing as realtor stole $30Gs in jewelry: Halton cops

"A 29-year-old man is facing charges after allegedly posing as a realtor and stealing $30,000 worth of jewelry from a home in Oakville.

Halton Regional Police say the alleged victims held an open house at their home on May 22 that was intended only for prospective real estate agents.

Investigators allege the man learned of the event online and pretended to be a realtor in order to get inside."

6. ldlager

ldlager Well-Known Member

Lexiintoronto, Tarika and human like this.
  7. Tarika

Tarika One of the snoop sisters

This was a few years ago, but my son called 911 mischievously on my cell phone and hung up. He got scared and told me immediately what he had done, The police called back and I explained the situation and then they gave the address that was showing up to go with my cell number as a couple blocks away from my home. So, indeed sometimes wires can get crossed.

8. casesensitive

If there was any indication of theft when the Sherman's died, it would complicate this already complicated case with respect to motive. I have to assume that theft was not involved, or not apparent. Moo

9. WINDSOR

WINDSOR Well-Known Member

Nothing has ever been mentioned about items missing. If the killers were experienced professionals, I would expect they would not take anything. They would be conscious of the fact that anything taken from the Sherman home would link them to the killings.

Often serial killers keep an article of clothing/jewelry from their victims. When the police find these items in the serial killer's possession, that usually verifies the police have the right guy.

JDG, Tarika, human and 4 others like this.
  10. ldlager

For Those of you that are skilled at finding old references and postings I am wondering, did LE ever specifically state that the Sherman’s were targeted for MURDER, or just that they were murdered, and that they were targeted. Windsor’s post has me wondering if we may have misread things here. I recall that Gomes in the press conference indicated that (I’m paraphrasing here) the Sherman’s were the victims of a double homicide, and that they were in fact targeted RBBM. But did she actually state that they were targeted to be murdered?
    Perhaps they were targeted for robbery, and were murdered- that doesn’t mean they were targeted for murder! Any insights?

11. Tarika

IIRC it was said that they were targeted...I don’t remember it being said they were targeted for murder. But, many believed it was a targeted murder. I will try to find a reference.

12. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

VIDEO @ 0:16 "Targeted"
    CBC News: The National on Twitter
    It’s been a year since Barry and Honey Sherman were killed. There are so many questions. So few answers
    Dec 18 2018
    "After weeks of police silence, Det. Sgt. Gomes had news.

“We believe now, through the six weeks of work and review, we have sufficient evidence to describe this as a double-homicide investigation,” she said. “And both Honey and Barry Sherman were, in fact, targeted.”

Judge seals estate files of murder victims Barry and Honey Sherman to protect heirs
    December 13, 2018
    "Police at first believed it may have been a murder suicide but later announced that both were victims of a targeted double murder."

Rbbm. this could be read slightly differently, imo.
    Barry and Honey Sherman’s family ask for permission to tear down couple’s Toronto home
    March 7 2019
    "The family of Barry and Honey Sherman, who police say were targeted and murdered inside their North York home, is asking the City of Toronto for permission to tear down the residence."

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  13. casesensitive

If the motive was robbery, and Honey surprised them, I think she would be the only victim. Thieves want to get in and out quickly. If they purposely waited for Barry for some reason, it doesn't seem normal that a thief would take the time to string them up to a pool railing. Jmo

14. Tarika

Exactly, thieves don’t wait around for the husband to get home.

kimpage, Sphinx, FromGermany and 7 others like this.
  15. ldlager

True, but we don’t know when Honey got home. She may have stopped somewhere on the way. So aS far as I can tell, this may have been a targeted robbery, not a targeted murder.

Tarika, dotr and Lexiintoronto like this.
  16. Lexiintoronto

Lexiintoronto Well-Known Member

I think money was at the heart of the murders. I’m not sure how.

17. Tarika

IIRC Honey arrived home before her husband. Wasn’t that established?

Lexiintoronto, human and dotr like this.
  18. ldlager

No, I don’t think we have had that confirmed. But even if she did, it could have been 10 minutes before Barry, or longer. We don’t know.
    I assume LE would know if some things were stolen from the house. I just find the carefully scripted comments from Gomes interesting in that she didn’t appear to say that they were targeted for murder, just that they were targeted. Neighbours would not be pleased if this turns out to be a robbery gone wrong, and yet LE announced the same day that neighbours were not at risk, and they weren’t looking for any suspects.

19. JDG

JDG Websleuther

I agree that money/or lack of it is the motive but it was also something very, very personal that involved extreme hatred/anger. A hired hit man would have killed them quickly and left. It takes awhile to strangle/garrot someone and they could be forced to look at you the whole time. Then, the 'ritual' hanging by the neck???

BaffleMe, kimpage, angelainwi and 8 others like this.
  20. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

People can become targeted victims for all sorts of crimes - robberies, assault, sexually or racially motivated violence but that doesn’t necessarily result in their deaths. That their home apparently wasn’t ransacked is an indication this wasn’t a home invasion gone wrong, nor did the murderer attempt to stage that sort of scenario.

I think the murderer deliberately chose to blatantly display the bodies in a self-concocted execution manner, fully anticipating early rumours to sprung forth. Setting out to damage the reputation of victims goes well beyond a motive of typical robbery. That’s where the motive becomes personal, why they were targeted IMO.

BaffleMe, kimpage, Sphinx and 7 others like this.