Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ldlager

ldlager Well-Known Member

No I don't think so- see Lexiintoronto Post #751.
    As for those out of the country, that cannot be located of course LE cannot speak to them>>

Tarika, dotr and deugirtni like this.
  2. WINDSOR

WINDSOR Well-Known Member

We seem to be in a 'dead' phase (pardon the pun) in this investigation. The media has been tied up with Raptor stories, so I do not think the media is pursuing this case too hard right how.

Maybe it is time for a review of where we are at in this case.

*I believe the murder/suicide theory has been discarded by all but the most diehard conspiracy theorists.

*The TPS have an operating theory of what happened, and have some suspects.

*The TPS do not have enough evidence to lay charges that would result in a conviction, as of yet.

*I think the family's Greenspan Investigation team has not been very effective, as they have not released any information to the public, and/or the family still is trying to control information flow.

*Based on the length of the TPS investigation, I would speculate that plot to murder the Shermans was quite complex and sophisticated. I also would speculate that there might be some direct/indirect relationship of the perpetrators with the Shermans and the family which also adds complexity for the TPS.

These are just my own opinions.

sceawian, Tripod, kiwi50 and 6 others like this.
  3. rickcross

rickcross Well-Known Member

Who was the last person to see them alive?

4. Kittybunny

Kittybunny Well-Known Member

Since I'm not Canadian, I don't have a dog in this fight about the capabilities, investigative protocol or other insights into TPS specifically, but I do think that incompetence and laziness are universal, and if TPS was looking for the easy way out on investigating this high-profile case, the murder/suicide speculation would have been pursued. Easy peasy, case closed. Suicide is any easy ruling for police departments unwilling or unable to dedicate the resources and time to solving homicides and it also doesn't negatively impact their solve rates. Now, whether the family pressure/Greenspan forced TPS's hand and now they're just "going through the motions" to keep the family happy without any real investigation, I don't know, but personally I doubt it. I think this case is very complex - though the final resolution, killers, and motives might be simple, eliminating all the other possible suspects/motives/contacts in the Sherman's large family, social, and especially business circles is going to take a very long time.

Here's to them finding a smoking gun - one can always hope!

5. ldlager

I presume the people that killed them...
    But perhaps the architect

6. ldlager

Thank you Windsor. I know these are your opinions, but I don’t know of any public indication from LE that they have suspects- only the opinion of Joe W.

Tarika, Hazelnutty, dotr and 3 others like this.
  7. rickcross

I wonder why there has never been any mention or interview with this guy?

Tarika, dotr and human like this.
  8. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

It really could have been anyone, and it could have been multiple people, different person/persons for each of them since they didn't arrive home at the same time. What if the cleaning lady or plant-person or personal-trainer or relative or friend had been the last to see H at the home earlier before B arrived home? I'm also assuming that there may have been others at the Apo offices where B was, after the time when said architect left.

I think that often the public may associate the 'last person to see a victim alive' with potentially being the one to have caused harm to the victim, since obviously whoever saw the victim alive last is a major clue in what happened in any given case. It seems that often LE like to keep that detail to themselves for investigative reasons. If media had pursued 'the architect' for comment, they may not have known which person(s) at the given firm was the one to have actually met with them.

I followed a case awhile back where a man killed his ex, whom he had 'a great relationship' with. LE kept it to themselves who was last to have seen the victim. Sleuthers spent lots of time theorizing who it was. Then later it came out that it was this wonderful ex, and their thoughts on the ex started to change. I'm sure police don't wish that sort of thing on anyone (since they may have had nothing to do with it), and people likely don't want to bring that sort of thing upon themselves either. So imo, I don't think it is that bizarre that we don't know who the last person to see each of them was, why do you suspect this is meaningful that it isn't known?

9. WINDSOR

WINDSOR Well-Known Member

Since the TPS have stated they have a theory of what happened, to me at least, it follows they have suspects. These suspects may be unidentified as far as their names. The FBI would call them 'unsubs'. But they exist and are real people.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Wasn’t that theory mentioned in support of a motion to suppress disclosure?

Frankly it could be as loose as “an aggrieved business contact lay in wait and killed H and then B”. That’s a theory but it leaves a long list of suspects.

I do think police are making some headway. My guess is it is someone who had a non-Apotex related dispute with Barry. Problem is that’s not a short list.

sceawian, Tarika, anonymess and 3 others like this.
  11. rickcross

I just think its a little odd considering the press has been going around the neighbourhood knocking on doors in search of a story. Just seems that it would be pretty simple to track down the architect and get some insight in to their last moments together. I'm also very aware that the family has tried to keep everything possible out of the public eye, so it is possible that they have contacted the architect and persuaded him/her to remain silent.

sceawian, Tarika and dotr like this.
  12. casesensitive

casesensitive Well-Known Member

If I had been working for the Sherman's, the last thing I would do is talk (blab) to the media. Not only is that considered unprofessional, it could risk revealing police hold back information in a murder investigation. It doesn't seem odd to me that the press didn't score certain interviews. Jmo

sceawian, Tarika, human and 6 others like this.
  13. Tighthead

Even if you aren’t bound by professional ethics, it’s tacky.

JrzyGirl70, sceawian, Tarika and 6 others like this.
  14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Granted it might be tacky, but also granted that lotsa people love to see their name or face in the media, for their 15 minutes of fame.

Tarika and dotr like this.
  15. Tighthead

And I wouldn’t expect a professional retained by billionaires and a witness in a murder investigation to proceed in such a coarse fashion.

What “lotsa” people might do has no bearing on this specific situation.

kimpage, sceawian, Tarika and 6 others like this.
  16. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

I agree. That person would have tarnished his reputation for having the ability to maintain confidentiality, a quality which I'm sure might be important to any clients the person/firm served. imo.

17. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

Typically people who love to see their face in the media for 15 minutes of fame don’t have a reputation worth protecting, professional or otherwise.

JrzyGirl70, kimpage, sceawian and 8 others like this.
  18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Yep, you hit nail on head :)

kimpage, human, MistyWaters and 2 others like this.
  19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Lengthy article
    June 21 2019 By Kevin Donovan
    Murdered billionaire Barry Sherman planned to give away or invest much of his fortune, sources say | The Star
    "Barry Sherman had big plans in the year leading up to his murder — make an enormous donation to charity, gift hundreds of millions of dollars to his wife, Honey, and expand Apotex.

Those plans, described to the Star in interviews by people close to the Sherman couple, had not been acted upon at the time of their murders."

"It’s a baffling mystery for close friends of the couple. It is not unusual for these friends of many decades to catch themselves imagining the couple’s terrifying final minutes, or recalling the many hopes and plans Barry and Honey shared with them over coffee, dinner or a game of golf.

For the purpose of this story, sources have been granted confidentiality for several different reasons depending on the individual, including a fear for their personal safety, fear of economic reprisals, and a concern that by speaking publicly they will interfere with the police investigation, particularly if they are ever called to testify in a courtroom."

"Millions for Honey

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Sherman relationship was that Honey had to ask for money to make big purchases. Barry controlled the family purse-strings. The couple were both notoriously frugal when it came to many of their possessions, including cars. Honey drove a 10-year-old Lexus Hybrid SUV; Barry drove a 1999 Mustang GT convertible.

A sore point between Honey and Barry was that while their four children had been gifted money (different amounts for different children) over the years, Honey had not.

“Honey would always say, Barry never gives me any money,” said one of Honey’s closest friends. Another said, “Honey really wanted her own money.”

For smaller items, such as a $5,000 repair job to her Lexus after hitting a deer in 2017, Honey used a credit card linked to Barry’s account. Barry also kept a stash of $100 bills in a drawer in their home office that Honey had access to. But for big-ticket items, she told her close friends she had to ask Barry.

That was all about to change, according to people close to Barry and Honey. Barry was contemplating making a major gift to Honey that she could spend as she pleased.

The amount was to be between $100 million and $500 million, according to friends who say they heard this from Honey."

"The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman."

"In fact, in the wake of the Sherman murders, sources say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million. That claim, unsubstantiated by any paperwork, produced a rift between the Sherman children and Shechtman, beginning several days after the murder. The rift continues to this day. Separate shivas were held, one at Shechtman’s home and one at Barry’s sister Sandra Florence’s home.

Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide.

Shechtman declined numerous requests for an interview."
    rbbm.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  20. Tighthead

So maybe Honey never made a will because she felt her Only assets requiring probate were real estate, often held jointly with Barry. Outside of private shares, her name may not have been on much.

Many of their assets may have been in trusts and holding companies.

500 million is a lot of after tax capital. I wonder what the gift structure was?