Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

I’d agree with that, I don’t think any attorney would be eligible for a reward involving information gleaned from clients.

al66pine, watcher9 and dotr like this.

2. CuriousGeorgeIII

CuriousGeorgeIII Member

I'd like to know more about this "source close to law enforcement" as per the recent Radar article (is this possibly a purposeful leak by police or just BS?). Also, there hasn't been a single word from Donavan about this article... very curious... I'm sure he would be pretty upset if they were just using his work and then falsely creating a "source close to law enforcement" if there really isn't one. All very curious, I must say.

al66pine, JDG, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  3. ldlager

ldlager Well-Known Member

And yet so many attorneys (including at least 1 in this case) act as though they are media personalities.....

al66pine, JDG, watcher9 and 2 others like this.
  4. ldlager

And yet so many attorneys (including at least 1 in this case) act as though they are media personalities.....
    IMO the article is just a rehash of stuff that has already been written

Sassygal87, Satchie, al66pine and 5 others like this.
  5. Lexiintoronto

Lexiintoronto Well-Known Member

Curious that Greenspan is so quiet now. Not a word from the investigation team when they disbanded.

al66pine, branmuffin, JDG and 4 others like this.
  6. CuriousGeorgeIII

CuriousGeorgeIII Member

Yes, except for the very important "Source close to law enforcement" claim and "Imminent arrest" headline... we have never seen anything like this before. So, it begs the Huge question: is this source
    1. fake (made up) -- this would be a real garbage move by the publication;
    2. for real;
    3. a "source" the police are using to test the waters on a suspect/person of interest's behaviours following the story...?

Any reporter that makes up a source that isn't real is just a pathetic liar and shouldn't be a journalist; sadly, the press is full of these low-lifes!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Sassygal87, al66pine, JDG and 4 others like this.
  7. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

IMO, his rates for speaking to the media are probably thousands per word. He's working for Peter Nygard now (millionaire fashion designer accused of preying on young women.) Peter Nygard appeals denied bail decision

anonymess, al66pine, JDG and 4 others like this.
  8. MistyWaters

At least we’d know the source as opposed to the frequently unnamed.

al66pine, Lexiintoronto, JDG and 3 others like this.
  9. Satchie

I think it's important to look at and evaluate which media outlet is publishing a story. I don't want to drive traffic to a celebrity gossip site, so I'll share one of today's top stories from Radar Online: "Addiction, Lack Of Personal Hygiene, Self-Inflicted Injuries & The Threat Of Violence: Phil Collins' Ex Reveals What Life Was Really Like With Her Not So ‘Easy Lover’"

IMO, many online rag writers don't outright invent stories, but they are dedicated to producing clickbait, rather than reporting facts. We, the public, need to be able to discern the difference between fact and spin, just as we have to know that Microsoft doesn't phone people up offering to fix their computers, and that you shouldn't give your life savings to someone who guarantees a 10% annual return.

Sassygal87, nao, al66pine and 6 others like this.
  10. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Noting that i immediately reported my post to make sure the link was okay, was going to add some kind of disclaimer, but figured it would be more fun without it, and it has been! imo.

11. Lexiintoronto

Lexiintoronto Well-Known Member

I love you, dotr! I appreciated that you posted it. It just sounded...familiar. If Radar is the one to break the story of an arrest, and if I were KD, I’d throw a photocopier out the window.

nuff, tayaway, al66pine and 6 others like this.
  12. coleo9

coleo9 Member

Easy answer
    Stopped getting paid? Told by client not to? Lawyers can’t speak against their client’s wishes

watcher9, Lonicera, deugirtni and 3 others like this.
  13. coleo9

coleo9 Member

The Canadian Jose Baez?

watcher9, Niner, deugirtni and 4 others like this.
  14. Satchie

Not really. Baez is a very American phenomena, I think. Greenspan's clients are from the upper echelons of society, who, in bewilderment, find themselves on the wrong side of the law. But not from doing anything so distasteful as deliberately murdering anyone. People feel those kinds of defendents do deserve a defense lawyer but not one clever enough to get them off.

watcher9, dotr, al66pine and 2 others like this.
  15. Tobiano8th

Tobiano8th Well-Known Member

on Radar Online, much of what they said is word-for-word what Donovan said.. like a cut-paste and then they add in that they have a source. (and i'm not sure what the rules are for the Toronto Star being a source for Radar Online. pretty sketchy IMHO..... but i guess they are a source. like you list at the end of an essay)

i think they are making up a source.. and pushing the narrative slightly further than Donovan on their own. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize "an arrest MIGHT be imminent". and it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to say (but attributing it to a source, when maybe you made it up is not good at all)

if Radar Online had their own source, there would be much more unique info in that article.

as per Radar Online and Phil Collins' ex-wife, that's from a court document and is reported many places. Radar certainly sensationalizes it........ it's funny, i thought it was going to be from Phil's ex-wife of England/Vancouver, who had some not-so-nice things to say about him recently too.

16. ldlager

He’s not being paid so he probably has nothing to say

watcher9, MistyWaters, dotr and 3 others like this.
  17. branmuffin

branmuffin Well-Known Member

What journalists are making up sources?

18. nuff

nuff Well-Known Member

deleted

19. MistyWaters

20. CuriousGeorgeIII

CuriousGeorgeIII Member

Agree... however; the headline reads: "Arrest Imminent", not "might be imminent"!
    That's a Huge distinction! They also attribute the "Arrest Imminent" to a "Source close to law enforcement"! If they made up this "source" (i.e., LIED), then that is despicable! That goes WAY beyond just "sensationalizing" a story -- that's flat out LYING!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Sphinx, watcher9, Niner and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.