CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of us have been able to definitively put a finger on why anyone would want to kill either of them!
You mean other than: the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake; the cousins’ perceptions of their stolen inheritance (not to mention the foreclosure on their very homes and the subsequent attempt by BS’s attorneys to spitefully penalize the cousins further by seeking an additional 900k in lawyers fees); a minimum of fifty million dollars in ASAP loan call-backs by BS to JS and AP - a request that JS and AP repay the fifty mil ASAP and seek (more expensive) replacement money from a normal bank); possible/feared changes to wills and inheritance; the possible existence of, or possible changes to, any large life insurance policies - if they existed (I don’t know, as I haven’t researched this aspect of the case); and myriad other possible revenge and retribution scenarios related to various prior legal cases - including those based on (or which might reveal) possible personal or professional indiscretions, and/or those that might even implicate someone in criminal conduct.

My guess is that there were perhaps many (many) people who may have wished misfortune on BS and HS. Some have even publicly admitted as much. IMO there are LOTS of WHY’S, - and LOTS of WHO’S. For this reason I think it is even more ridiculous that there is currently only one detective assigned to the case, and that, to me, he sounds completely lost, unsure of where the case is at, and a bit overwhelmed (because it’s just him). Did he say he hopes the case will be solved sometime before he retires? Doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence.

Jmo

ETA: I forgot to add in paragraph one: when BS died, what happened to the 3.3 million personal mortgage (with no payment schedule) that BS had personally provided to JD? When JD quit in Jan, did he have to pay back the mortgage? To who? Just curious

snipped

ETA: I forgot to add in paragraph one: when BS died, what happened to the 3.3 million personal mortgage (with no payment schedule) that BS had personally provided to JD? When JD quit in Jan, did he have to pay back the mortgage? To who? Just curious

It appears Barry had set up numerous companies, including trusts and holding. Therefore I don’t think BS personally provided mortgages to anyone, it was likely financed from one of the businesses involved in lending. When a shareholder of a private company dies, the registered company stays intact as a separate legal entity. The shares are considered property and distributed to a beneficiary/s in accordance to the Will so typically nothing changes regarding the company other than the shareholders.

Whether or not JD’s mortgage was linked as a benefit to his employment at Apotex we don’t know. There could’ve been a clause in the mortgage requiring a higher (market) interest rate be paid if he left Apotex. Just my opinion, I think it’s unlikely it would be required to be paid in full if it was a registered mortgage. But if it were a company loan secured by that same residential property, then possibly.

I'm not sure how it works as far as markings on the body, before and after death. I only know that MEs can determine whether damages and marks to bodies happened before or after their deaths. Just wondering if it might be possible that the couple's wrists were tied together 'after death' for some reason, such as to keep the arms close to the body for easier movement of bodies to a different location, ie so they weren't splaying all over the place, or getting in the way while the killer(s) were trying to 'hang' the bodies onto the railing, etc? If they were dead first before the wrist bindings were put on, would they have left markings, or would that have required blood to still be flowing, in order to leave chafe marks and possibly raw skin?

Agreed, thank you. However, at least one individual has claimed that HS had a will that was recently updated. I presume TPS knows if one exists.

Food for thought, I have always thought if she had one they found the lawyer, he would have called in, the murders were so publicized. So they did find Honey's will and that is why the details of the estate have been held secret under court order. If that key detail is not released to the public, maybe they can or cannot prove who died first, and via lawyers are releasing details to only those within the estate and to who are beneficiaries of the estate. The hint of where the TPS is investigating is about the estate?

Another food for thought, with such an important case, viewed worldwide, TPS share only 1 person is "assigned" to this case, and have done so on more than one occasion. (meaning it was in the media that the public was a little surprised only 1 detective was on the case, yet the next conference was still one and had been the only one for months if not years).

I think a sting project or under surveillance projects could have happened on the side that they did not publicize.

I also think KD (Toronto Star) has a good relationship with TPS and B+HS friends, I think KD & TPS are working closer than they let on. The bits and pieces that KD is able to squeeze out, I believe he is a good journalist and before writing any stories would be sure not to hurt any potential criminal case, so it would be best if they helped each other on what info to put out and when. I think he knows way more than he has shared so far. Wait for the follow-up book, "The conclusion to the Billionaire Murders" But until an arrest and this is in court we must follow the little information they share with us.

Kind of like celebrities and the paparazzi - a love-hate, scratch my back I scratch your back relationship.

just sharing some thoughts,
Bobbi Pearl

IIRC Honey got home first that evening. Unless someone has info that states she was kept alive until Barry got home, it might be reasonable to assume she was killed first. Now one could speculate that the killers might have wanted Barry to see her die, because they were sadists. The TPS probably has a very good idea of sequence of events.
Honey being the target alone? What would be the motive, and then if Barry's death was collateral damage and unintended, the body staging then makes absolutely no sense. I do not think Honey was the only target, I believe both were.

I think Honey was kept alive for a period of time because they took the time to tie her wrists - to me, that means to subdue and control her for a period of time, I cannot see tying hands with quick ties after death for any logical reason, her coat was pulled down reducing the mobility of her arms and upper body. Not stating she was alive when he arrived home but that they did keep her alive for some time for a reason. Then his wrists with evidence of the same being restrained, giving thought that the killer(s) wanted to communicate with them.

I also wonder which was first; coat pulled down arms or quick ties put on? quick ties removed but coat left in this position? then stage the bodies similar to statues. why leave coats on them? wonder if the staging was an afterthought?

answered one of my own questions, why leave coats on - to keep bodies warm and put off the time of death.

Food for thought, I have always thought if she had one they found the lawyer, he would have called in, the murders were so publicized. So they did find Honey's will and that is why the details of the estate have been held secret under court order. If that key detail is not released to the public, maybe they can or cannot prove who died first, and via lawyers are releasing details to only those within the estate and to who are beneficiaries of the estate. The hint of where the TPS is investigating is about the estate?

Another food for thought, with such an important case, viewed worldwide, TPS share only 1 person is "assigned" to this case, and have done so on more than one occasion. (meaning it was in the media that the public was a little surprised only 1 detective was on the case, yet the next conference was still one and had been the only one for months if not years).

I think a sting project or under surveillance projects could have happened on the side that they did not publicize.

I also think KD (Toronto Star) has a good relationship with TPS and B+HS friends, I think KD & TPS are working closer than they let on. The bits and pieces that KD is able to squeeze out, I believe he is a good journalist and before writing any stories would be sure not to hurt any potential criminal case, so it would be best if they helped each other on what info to put out and when. I think he knows way more than he has shared so far. Wait for the follow-up book, "The conclusion to the Billionaire Murders" But until an arrest and this is in court we must follow the little information they share with us.

Kind of like celebrities and the paparazzi - a love-hate, scratch my back I scratch your back relationship.

just sharing some thoughts,
Bobbi Pearl

If HS had a will, and police were contacted by a lawyer who was involved in drafting it, there is no way of determining if that was HS final will, or she had changed it since dealing with that lawyer.
IMO I think it is possible that HS' last will and testament was removed from the house on the night of the murders.

If HS had a will, and police were contacted by a lawyer who was involved in drafting it, there is no way of determining if that was HS final will, or she had changed it since dealing with that lawyer.
IMO I think it is possible that HS' last will and testament was removed from the house on the night of the murders.

As Bobbi Pearl stated, any lawyer who had helped HS draw up her will would have reported it to LE. It goes without saying, that if any other lawyer helped her with a more recent update of her will, that would have also have been reported it to LE.

I think HS had a will and the witness who stated she discussed it with her was credible. I think HS, unfortunately kept the original copy of her will at home, and it's obvious that it went missing. I believe that only an original will can be legally accepted for probate, and that likely prompted the media reports that she didn't have one. The copy kept with her lawyer would have questionable legal clout, but it certainly would prove useful in the homicide investigation.

LE stated that the details of the wills had to remain sealed because they were intrinsically connected to their investigation (paraphrasing). It looks like BS's will left everything to the kids. It makes me wonder how Honey's missing will distributed her estate.

When a lawyer makes a will, I believe he keeps a copy for his files at minimum. Even if the perps, removed a will from the Old Colony home, some lawyer somewhere has a copy. I am pretty sure that lawyer has been in contact with the TPS.

When a lawyer makes a will, I believe he keeps a copy for his files at minimum. Even if the perps, removed a will from the Old Colony home, some lawyer somewhere has a copy. I am pretty sure that lawyer has been in contact with the TPS.

I’d be very surprised if lawyers voluntarily contact TPS, handing over wills. It’s the business of the court when granting probate on behalf of the beneficiaries to ensure the last will and testament is presented. If there’s a dispute that would also be dealt with in court. Then TPS would apply to the court for a copy of the estate file in order for it to legally obtained.

But since probate was granted we know there was no dispute over the wills, as well according to the estate documents filed regarding the SCC appeal by KD. I think if the couple was murdered over an amended will this case wouldn’t be so difficult to solve. JMO

An informative article about probated wills -
The Sherman Murders At the Supreme Court: Balancing Privacy with Openness - de Vries Litigation

That KW thinks nobody will ever be charged because someone “helped” Barry die is too preposterous to debate. If as a Canadian he’s unaware how illegal that is, including assisting to cover up another murder…..perhaps he should call a free legal help line because we’re not going to convince him.

However it’s interesting by that ridiculous suggestion it’s KW’s admission there indeed was a 3rd party in the Sherman home that night so after all this time his adamant m/s theory is finally put to rest.

But still, why wouldn’t he want that same 3rd party held accountable is the million dollar question for me.
I have never suggested someone, JK was in Old Colony to help Barry pull Honey’s dead body from the kitchen to the pool area. There was a significant time difference in their deaths and l believe Barry called someone after her death. I have no proof. I only speculate that he would have called JK….the plan to stage the double suicide. Know that Honey was deceased before the belt was wrapped around her neck and the pool railing.
I tip my hat off to B. Greenspan….job well done. Although he rewrote the autopsy, got the TPS on board, offered up the 10 million dollar reward, he has most people in this forum convinced it was a double murder by multiple killers and arrests imminent. Do ‘t be holding your breath.
I’ll say it again, “if the bodies were found in Regent Park…it would be slam dunk M/S”. ONLY a wealthy family could pull this cover-up off.
Hire a powerful lawyer: try to connect the dots! <modsnip: Don't be disrespectful to others who hold a different opinion.>
I accept the CBC and a rigged polygraph discredited me: <modsnip: Don't be rude.>
There will never be an arrest.
Nobody will collect the 10 million reward.
Let’s all agree: Greenspan says it’s double murder….so the TPS say right the powerful lawyer hired by the family has it right.
C’mon… give me a break. What’s most unsettling is you all bought it…except for a few. Know that the tide is turning and the truth will hopefully come out.
Mayor Tory, Chief Saunders, S. Gomes, B. Price and others are all implicit in this roost!!!!
There isn’t one ounce of proof to show multiple murderers entered the house to hang Barry and Honey by the pool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it’s a normal everyday occurrence that in a major North American city, the Mayor of the city, close friend of the Sherman’s calls the Chief of Police cause he’s got it wrong,
OK…probably happens more frequently in Mexico.
LOL!

I have never suggested someone, JK was in Old Colony to help Barry pull Honey’s dead body from the kitchen to the pool area. There was a significant time difference in their deaths and l believe Barry called someone after her death. I have no proof. I only speculate that he would have called JK….the plan to stage the double suicide. Know that Honey was deceased before the belt was wrapped around her neck and the pool railing.
I tip my hat off to B. Greenspan….job well done. Although he rewrote the autopsy, got the TPS on board, offered up the 10 million dollar reward, he has most people in this forum convinced it was a double murder by multiple killers and arrests imminent. Do ‘t be holding your breath.
I’ll say it again, “if the bodies were found in Regent Park…it would be slam dunk M/S”. ONLY a wealthy family could pull this cover-up off.
Hire a powerful lawyer: try to connect the dots! <modsnip: Don't be disrespectful to others who hold a different opinion.>
I accept the CBC and a rigged polygraph discredited me: <modsnip: Don't be rude.>
Let’s all agree: Greenspan says it’s double murder….so the TPS say right the powerful lawyer hired by the family has it right.
C’mon… give me a break. What’s most unsettling is you all bought it…except for a few. Know that the tide is turning and the truth will hopefully come out.
Mayor Tory, Chief Saunders, S. Gomes, B. Price and others are all implicit in this roost!!!!
There isn’t one ounce of proof to show multiple murderers entered the house to hang Barry and Honey by the pool!

It has been posted many times that JK was in New York at the time of the murders. I am confident that this has been verified by TPS, and if they couldn’t conclusively verify such a straightforward alibi I am confident they would have already arrested him.
It seems very unlikely to me, given all the Cameras installed in homes and businesses today that TPS doesn’t have video evidence of one or more people in the immediate area of the Sherman home on the night of the murders who had no reason to be there. I’m not sure how KW knows that TPS doesn’t have have any such evidence.
I am most confident that BS didn’t murder anyone.

This is just fact checking that has been repeatedly written in these threads:

The Shermans were victims of a targeted double homicide. Source: Toronto Police.

The Shermans were murdered some time between 9:00 pm to 12:00 am. The exact time of death for either has not been released. Source: Toronto Police.

Jack Kay was in NY. Source: Kevin Donovan, Jack Kay. Undisputed.

What KW said on the CBC Fifth Estate episode. (Polygraph and dicussion of results start at the 25:00 mark.):

I’d be very surprised if lawyers voluntarily contact TPS, handing over wills. It’s the business of the court when granting probate on behalf of the beneficiaries to ensure the last will and testament is presented. If there’s a dispute that would also be dealt with in court. Then TPS would apply to the court for a copy of the estate file in order for it to legally obtained.

But since probate was granted we know there was no dispute over the wills, as well according to the estate documents filed regarding the SCC appeal by KD. I think if the couple was murdered over an amended will this case wouldn’t be so difficult to solve. JMO

An informative article about probated wills -
The Sherman Murders At the Supreme Court: Balancing Privacy with Openness - de Vries Litigation

Agreed some probate has happened, some disbursements have been made but we are not aware if they are from the BS will we know about. Barry could have had multiple wills, for different reasons like different executors, etc, for example, a separate one for Apotex, then for Sherfam, and possibly others that we are just not aware of, rumor is he had much more money overseas.

I would hope with a murder investigation this big and resounding around the world that any lawyer would feel impelled to call TPS, or at minimum the lawyer handling BS estate.

If Honey had a will, her lawyer (representative) has a duty to ensure her wishes were heard and fulfilled, I truly hope they would share a legal document such as a last will and testament if they are murdered.

I always thought the lawyer copy is kept to prove no changes have been made to the "original" copy the deceased holds.

Are both copies required by a judge, or in case of missing original will lawyer copy not be useful, that makes little logical sense to me?

Bobbi Pearl

Agreed some probate has happened, some disbursements have been made but we are not aware if they are from the BS will we know about. Barry could have had multiple wills, for different reasons like different executors, etc, for example, a separate one for Apotex, then for Sherfam, and possibly others that we are just not aware of, rumor is he had much more money overseas.

I would hope with a murder investigation this big and resounding around the world that any lawyer would feel impelled to call TPS, or at minimum the lawyer handling BS estate.

If Honey had a will, her lawyer (representative) has a duty to ensure her wishes were heard and fulfilled, I truly hope they would share a legal document such as a last will and testament if they are murdered.

I always thought the lawyer copy is kept to prove no changes have been made to the "original" copy the deceased holds.

Are both copies required by a judge, or in case of missing original will lawyer copy not be useful, that makes little logical sense to me?

Bobbi Pearl

Nothing indicates there was any ongoing issue regarding Honey’s Will other than KDs early reports. If she didn’t have a will then a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee wouldn’t have been immediately granted in order to proceed with probate. It makes no sense to me why an Estate Lawyer who was directly involved in the sealing order would announce in the presence of a reporter what was contained (or missing) from the file that was sealed. But on the other hand an estate lawyer creating a smoke screen to protect the confidentially of his clients wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

How many Wills each had we don’t know but only Wills requiring probate are public record as they’re approved through the Court, as all Court records are considered public records, unless sealed by Court. Non-probated Wills remain private from the public including reporters. Occasionally situations arise were Wills are contested involving the Courts but according to the Affidavit filed by the Estate, that was not an issue in this case.

However since the Estate file is sill sealed and SCC has not rendered a decision, nobody yet knows what the probated Wills contain other than those who are directly involved. In a broad general sense what nobody knows often seems to become a prime topic of speculation for the general public….because nobody knows….

JMO

Affidavit filed by the Estate -

https://www.scc-csc.ca/WebDocuments...man-and-the-Trustees-of-the-Estate-et-al..pdf

Last edited:
Hire a powerful lawyer: try to connect the dots! <modsnip>
RSBM

I am not understanding why, "if the bodies were found in Regent Park, it would be slam dunk murder/suicide" ?

From my understanding of the crimescene, murder/suicide isn't what would have been the first thought - the realtor who called police after discovering the bodies said, 'someone has killed my clients' (ie as opposed to, say, 'my clients are dead') (‘Someone has killed my clients’: Newly released documents detail the day Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead, and what police did after). Why would a different location have made it a slam-dunk murder/suicide? I understand that Regent Park is a lower income area, but why would two people hanging by their necks with men's leather belts make anyone think of murder/suicide? Can you please enlighten? Curious, because from the description of the crimescene, murder/suicide is the last thing that would've come to my mind, so interested to know what would make one even consider that?
--
Regent Park has long been recognized as one of the lower-income neighbourhoods in the downtown Toronto area. There is a higher representation of visible minorities, refugees, immigrants and Aboriginal people in the neighbourhood compared to neighboring areas. It[8] experiences a higher rate of violence, crime, drug abuse and social ills compared to many other Toronto communities. Regent Park has a reputation for poverty in Toronto.
Regent Park - Wikipedia

RSBM

I am not understanding why, "if the bodies were found in Regent Park, it would be slam dunk murder/suicide" ?

From my understanding of the crimescene, murder/suicide isn't what would have been the first thought - the realtor who called police after discovering the bodies said, 'someone has killed my clients' (ie as opposed to, say, 'my clients are dead') (‘Someone has killed my clients’: Newly released documents detail the day Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead, and what police did after). Why would a different location have made it a slam-dunk murder/suicide? I understand that Regent Park is a lower income area, but why would two people hanging by their necks with men's leather belts make anyone think of murder/suicide? Can you please enlighten? Curious, because from the description of the crimescene, murder/suicide is the last thing that would've come to my mind, so interested to know what would make one even consider that?
--
Regent Park has long been recognized as one of the lower-income neighbourhoods in the downtown Toronto area. There is a higher representation of visible minorities, refugees, immigrants and Aboriginal people in the neighbourhood compared to neighboring areas. It[8] experiences a higher rate of violence, crime, drug abuse and social ills compared to many other Toronto communities. Regent Park has a reputation for poverty in Toronto.
Regent Park - Wikipedia

It seems to me his message is the same as ever? …..He doesn’t believe a double homicide occurred and people of influence conspired together to overrule m/s finding. Corruption here in Canada, that dirty word well known to be associated to Mexico. Even a rigged polygraph. Someone from Regent Park wouldn’t have the same power and influence. Indeed, in short I think we’re being told we’re all fools.

My unanswered question to Kerry is why do you continue to hang on to the notion it had to be “multiple murderers” as opposed to just one - at the same time as promoting the notion a lone individual “helped” to end Barry’s life. Add to that, the same person “helped” to end Honey’s life too and we’re at the official findings of a targeted double homicide. I’d even buy into the idea that the killer might perceive it as he “helped” to end their lives, justifying their murders through the adamant belief they rightfully deserved their deaths…..as crazy as that may be :(

JMO

…..Snipped…..
I accept the CBC and a rigged polygraph discredited me: but, please give your head a shake and wake up.

Guess it’s a normal everyday occurrence that in a major North American city, the Mayor of the city, close friend of the Sherman’s calls the Chief of Police cause he’s got it wrong,
LOL!

LOL!

“After the deaths, members of the Sherman family told Mr. Tory they were seeing information in the media before hearing from police, according to Don Peat, the mayor's spokesman.

"The mayor firmly believes it is part of his job as mayor to speak to grieving families and to comfort them. He speaks to many families following traumatic events in the city and conveys their concerns, if any, to the relevant city divisions or agencies," Mr. Peat said on Friday. "In this case, he conveyed the concerns raised by the Sherman family dispassionately to the chief like he would for any family and did not make any requests of police."”
Mayor Tory did nothing improper in Sherman death probe, Toronto police chair says

And there is zero evidence that 75 yr old BS murdered his wife HS upstairs, then dragged her body down to the pool, and then (quite flustered, I imagine) called Jack Kay in NY to ask for advice re: staging (btw, wouldn’t JK providing BS with any advice/assistance make Kay potentially make a Kay an accomplice?), then took off and hid the zip ties and soft ligatures (where?), then adjusted their coats, strapped themselves up to the 3’ railing (did I say 3’? and wasn’t he 75?), being careful not to knock off his glasses, but being sure to casually cross his legs - all while he was suffocating/asphyxiating from the looped belt - and all the while wondering if this is really going to convince anybody “they must not think it’s a murder, they must not think it’s a murder!”). Come on KW. <modsnip>

If you wanted to murder your wife and commit suicide (which everybody said BS would never do in the first place because he loved himself too much and thought the world would struggle to get by without him) or even if you murdered her by mistake and then decided you wanted to join her, you wouldn’t call JK, and you wouldn’t choose to hang the two of you from a 3’ foot tall railing around a basement pool.

You’d maybe OD in bed, or shoot yourself.., or take poison or slit your wrists, or ,… you’d do anything but slowly slowly slowly deprive yourself of oxygen while loosely hanging “in repose” (while sitting, with your legs crossed) from a cheap tire belt attached to a 3’ tall railing. That would hurt! And what if you survived but were left a vegetable? There’s just no way.

Btw, why were Barry’s gloves and home inspection report/ notes found on the floor of the downstairs hallway just inside the garage door? This was no suicide. The murderer was foolish to pose them that way, but couldn’t resist. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members