CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

I don’t recall it ever was reported a body was found near Merritt Sept 2019. Still unidentified. I’d sure hope the RCMP has ruled out any connection to the mysterious disappearance of Ben earlier the same year, in January.

B.C. RCMP release sketch of unidentified man; remains found 2 years ago near Merritt | Globalnews.ca
“The Southeast District Major Crime Unit has assumed conduct of the investigation as police believe that criminality may have been involved in the man’s death.”….

……The man is described as being light-skinned, of possible European descent, and between 20 and 50 years of age. He was also listed as being approximately six feet two inches tall and 220 pounds with a muscular build.”

Ok, even though I live in BC, I must've missed some of these reports re. Merritt. I was a bit confused, as the UID in this article has been ID'edUPDATE: Merritt homicide victim identified (kamloopsbcnow.com) but it seems there is yet another man whose remains were found in that region as you mention. But despite having looked at dental and DNA comparisons, it seems that the UID you mention is not said to be Ben Tyner. Plus Ben had a beard of course, whereas the sketch of the UID does not. So that is ongoing, got it! ;) Plus possibly a connection between the two cases.?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
View attachment 327921 View attachment 327922
I don't think the uid has been identified yet, but here is a comparison between him and Ben. Lack of beard in the UID, but I would assume our LE must've considered Ben Tyner as possible ID. Haven't heard anything more lately.

Not identified yet but Ben has been ruled out.

>>Shoihet confirmed to NL News that the remains are not of Merritt-area cowboy Ben Tyner, who went missing at the end of January 2019.

RCMP asking for help in identifying remains of man found dead near Merritt in Sept. 2019 | Radio NL - Kamloops News

Ok, even though I live in BC, I must've missed some of these reports re. Merritt. I was a bit confused, as the UID in this article has been ID'edUPDATE: Merritt homicide victim identified (kamloopsbcnow.com) but it seems there is yet another man whose remains were found in that region as you mention. But despite having looked at dental and DNA comparisons, it seems that the UID you mention is not said to be Ben Tyner. Plus Ben had a beard of course, whereas the sketch of the UID does not. So that is ongoing, got it! ;) Plus possibly a connection between the two cases.?
[/QUOTE]

Yes I was confused too!

There was a man's body found in Sep 2021, victim of homicide and identified within a couple of days as Dennis Walters.

There was a body found in Sep 2019, still unidentified, police sketch released in Dec 2021, may have been dead for several years.

And then we have Ben, last seen in Jan 2019, presumed dead but still missing :(

Been a while since I’ve been in here but I think of Ben often. Can someone tell me, in their opinion, why authorities are ruling this a homicide? I mean, how did they come to that conclusion? Does this mean they have an idea of who or why? Thanks!

Been a while since I’ve been in here but I think of Ben often. Can someone tell me, in their opinion, why authorities are ruling this a homicide? I mean, how did they come to that conclusion? Does this mean they have an idea of who or why? Thanks!

Did they find his body? It's been a while since I have been to this thread.

Still no reason given that I can find, and still no location of Ben or Ben's body.
2 years after his riderless horse was found, police believe Merritt cowboy was killed - Trail Daily Times

RCMP Southeast District Major Crime Unit is in charge of the investigation. The release states that in order to protect their ongoing efforts, police cannot release the details that lead them to believe Tyner is a homicide victim.

Still no reason given that I can find, and still no location of Ben or Ben's body.
2 years after his riderless horse was found, police believe Merritt cowboy was killed - Trail Daily Times

RCMP Southeast District Major Crime Unit is in charge of the investigation. The release states that in order to protect their ongoing efforts, police cannot release the details that lead them to believe Tyner is a homicide victim.
Yea I think that’s what I read. They are ruling it homicide yet no body so they MUST know something. So frustrating when they don’t release information even when the case has gone cold.

Yea I think that’s what I read. They are ruling it homicide yet no body so they MUST know something. So frustrating when they don’t release information even when the case has gone cold.
I often Google Ben to see if he has any updates. I've seen mentioned several times, beginning on the second year of his disappearance, RMCP mentioned they believe Ben to be a victim of a homicide. Ive never found anything stating why they believe this though. Without linking anything I'll say this is IMO, but did Google him yesterday. I feel terrible for his family.

I often Google Ben to see if he has any updates. I've seen mentioned several times, beginning on the second year of his disappearance, RMCP mentioned they believe Ben to be a victim of a homicide. Ive never found anything stating why they believe this though. Without linking anything I'll say this is IMO, but did Google him yesterday. I feel terrible for his family.
See my post #592 just above. There really is no reason given, only that they can't release info as to why they believe it to be a homicide. Sure has been a long long time since any updates or movement on this case. So sad.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back