CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
to my understanding, many factors play a scientific role in this development, but isnt length of death the greater contributor?
Not sure how large one becomes with decomp bloatedness.. I think time is definitely a factor, but I think it can be sped up in different conditions, such as perhaps warm and humid locations? But I'm not up on that stuff. The form of the one body under the cover on the gurney while being wheeled out, really seems to look similar to the positioning shown in the drawing of H, to me.

IIRC, one of the bodies being removed from the home had the ‘apparatus‘ still attached, to let the pathologists see how it had been rigged.

Thus the girth of one body.

I dont think either of them was plump, they worked out with a trainer and had a gym. Yes, BS wasnt fond of exercise it H had him on a diet/exercise plan.

I think if a will for HS did exist, her lawyer would have made that information known to the courts. If some lawyer had drawn up a will for HS, this case has so much publicity, the lawyer would have known HS was deceased. There would be no way, ethically, that she/he would have kept that information silent.

After five years, I believe it is safe to assume no will for HS existed, and one was not taken from the Sherman residence.

I think if a will for HS did exist, her lawyer would have made that information known to the courts. If some lawyer had drawn up a will for HS, this case has so much publicity, the lawyer would have known HS was deceased. There would be no way, ethically, that she/he would have kept that information silent.

After five years, I believe it is safe to assume no will for HS existed, and one was not taken from the Sherman residence.
I think the HS will issue deserves a revisit.
KD wrote a piece for the Toronto Star on Dec 14, 2019 that has had some discussion on this board before.
Honey Sherman had a will she updated shortly before billionaire couple slain, confidant reveals
He refers to the confidant as a "service provider" and the person claimed that HS had told her "..she was just coming from her lawyer's office and she had just updated her will." The person said they had informed the police of the conversation.
Question 1: Was the service provider telling the truth? I think it is safe to assume this person was telling the truth. What would be the motive to proactively contact the police to tell them a lie?
Question 2: Was HS telling the truth? I think there are three possibilities:
1. Yes - In this case HS had a will.
2. Partially true - Maybe honey was coming from her lawyer's office however she was there for a completely different reason that she did not wish to disclose.
3. No - HS had been doing something else entirely however she did not want to disclose what it was so she made up the lawyer visit story.
I personally think it is 1 or 2 and I don't discount the possibility that HS had a will.

Speaking of wills, in my own experience, I still haven't written one in spite of my family's persistent nagging. And I'm approaching my statistical demise. Nobody wants to think about dying. But it can happen anytime without warning. It occurred to me during the COVID lock down, but at the time going to a lawyer would have been difficult and super expensive. However, with the Shernans' wealth and access to lawyers, I'm sure the lawyers would have tried to keep them updated. Just my take on updating wills. Nevertheless, people still fail to update their wills when their should, no matter their circumstances.

I have always had a VERY difficult time believing that HS did not have a will. The amount of money and lawyers they had I am almost positive a lawyer would insist she have a will. Them never finding her will has always baffled me.

ETA, enjoyed this podcast because of the interviews with the two PIs (one of whom was followed by the Chinese) and the interview with Dr Nancy O.
Also @ 26:10, discussion about the sleazy fake Apotex stickers on drugs in India, which resulted in the public arrest by RCMP of the perp's brother, who worked at Apotex.

Feb 27 2023
Chapter Three: The Scorpion

''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family? That’s the question journalist Kathleen Goldhar set out to discover, in The No Good, Terribly Kind, Wonderful Lives and Tragic Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as she explores who the Shermans really were and why too much money might have been what killed them in the end.''

Last edited:
I think the HS will issue deserves a revisit.
KD wrote a piece for the Toronto Star on Dec 14, 2019 that has had some discussion on this board before.
Honey Sherman had a will she updated shortly before billionaire couple slain, confidant reveals
He refers to the confidant as a "service provider" and the person claimed that HS had told her "..she was just coming from her lawyer's office and she had just updated her will." The person said they had informed the police of the conversation.
Question 1: Was the service provider telling the truth? I think it is safe to assume this person was telling the truth. What would be the motive to proactively contact the police to tell them a lie?
Question 2: Was HS telling the truth? I think there are three possibilities:
1. Yes - In this case HS had a will.
2. Partially true - Maybe honey was coming from her lawyer's office however she was there for a completely different reason that she did not wish to disclose.
3. No - HS had been doing something else entirely however she did not want to disclose what it was so she made up the lawyer visit story.
I personally think it is 1 or 2 and I don't discount the possibility that HS had a will.

Since the estate has been disbursed, and nobody stepped forward in court to contest the fact that Honey did not have a will, this issue is legally finished.

If the ''confidant' believed there was a will for Honey why did they not appear before the trustees or the probate court to say so.

Speaking of wills, in my own experience, I still haven't written one in spite of my family's persistent nagging. And I'm approaching my statistical demise. Nobody wants to think about dying. But it can happen anytime without warning. It occurred to me during the COVID lock down, but at the time going to a lawyer would have been difficult and super expensive. However, with the Shernans' wealth and access to lawyers, I'm sure the lawyers would have tried to keep them updated. Just my take on updating wills. Nevertheless, people still fail to update their wills when their should, no matter their circumstances.
"Common sense is not a plant that grows in everyone's garden."

Since the estate has been disbursed, and nobody stepped forward in court to contest the fact that Honey did not have a will, this issue is legally finished.

If the ''confidant' believed there was a will for Honey why did they not appear before the trustees or the probate court to say so.
Is it confirmed/reported that specifically Honey's estate has been disbursed? I don't believe 'the estate' (in general) has been disbursed yet, since the bulk of the estate was tied up in Apotex, and it hadn't been completely sold until recently, and not sure that it has actually sold yet - no announcement has been made to that effect, and I can't find any updates since that report of it being sold on September 28, 2022. As far as I remember reading, JS spoke of having received a disbursement, or a first disbursement, but not in their totality. imo.

Closing of the transaction is subject to the satisfaction of customary regulatory conditions.

Apo isn't listed on SK's website as part of their portfolio yet.

Is it confirmed/reported that specifically Honey's estate has been disbursed? I don't believe 'the estate' (in general) has been disbursed yet, since the bulk of the estate was tied up in Apotex, and it hadn't been completely sold until recently, and not sure that it has actually sold yet - no announcement has been made to that effect, and I can't find any updates since that report of it being sold on September 28, 2022. As far as I remember reading, JS spoke of having received a disbursement, or a first disbursement, but not in their totality. imo.

Closing of the transaction is subject to the satisfaction of customary regulatory conditions.

Apo isn't listed on SK's website as part of their portfolio yet.
The APO transaction hasnt closed yet.

The court system moves along very slowly.

Add in COVID time and I seriously doubt that the issue of a will has been resolved yet.

If you have a link, I will amend my opinion gladly.

You can get a Will Kit at Staples, just be sure to have it filled in and witnessed correctly.

If you have real estate/other assets, it’s better to use a lawyer but you should have a will unless you are happy to have the government do it for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Refresher re-post.
2021 rbbm
''Honey Sherman had no will. Barry had two. Most of the slain billionaire’s estate is wrapped up in his private companies and, so, documents unsealed by a court Friday list assets of just $124 million.''

''The billionaire’s estate papers reveal their four children were left equal shares of a fortune that the financial press, at time of death estimated at roughly $4.7 billion, but that Star sources say is more in the neighbourhood of $10 billion. Apotex, and Barry’s many other private business pursuits, are not covered by the documents that were released.

But Barry had a caveat. The one quarter share a child was to inherit would only be paid out when the child reached 35.''

''His primary will — the original copy is in the box — is a simple document dated May 13, 2005. The will, and associated documents in the court file, state that his entire fortune is to be treated the same, both the relatively small amount of assets in the primary will, and the billions (no accounting is provided) in his secondary will.

Barry’s instructions, should he die before Honey, was for the “net annual income” of all of his holdings (including Apotex) to be paid to Honey in quarterly instalments “or such other periodic payments as my wife may direct.” Barry also left instructions in his will to provide other payments to Honey, but those are not specified except that they refer to Barry’s “capital” related to his various businesses.

Upon Honey’s death, Barry’s will states, his children are to split his fortune equally, only receiving their individual portion once they reach 35 years of age.''

According to the estate records, dated June 2018, Honey died “intestate” — meaning she had no will.

The documents provide an accounting of each of their assets at time of death. The documents do not list specific assets, nor do they say how they arrived at this amount.

Barry had $66.9 million personal property and $1.8 million in real estate. Honey had $45.9 million in personal property and $9.5 million in real estate.''

I have always wondered how much, if any, JS paid back to the estate for monies received from his dad/company holdings, since in one breath he says it was all paid back with his first instalment of inheritance, but in the next breath he says none of had to be paid back to begin with. I would imagine that it wouldn't exactly be called 'paid back', but that the monies each sibling had received before the murders would have been considered with equalization amounts, ie JS would've received less from his 'first dispersal' than his youngest two siblings, who had reportedly received less than him over the years. imo. (Not sure each of the siblings would even have received their first 'dispersal', if they have not turned age 35 yet, but on paper, they may be entitled to more of a 'first dispersal' than older sibs who reportedly received more. imo)

As to the $125 million in interest-free loans his father had advanced his company over the years, [JS] said he paid that money back to the Sherman estate from his first “dispersal” of funds from the estate. (The money is being released to the four children in stages, although much of the fortune is tied up in Apotex which remains for sale.) “Every dollar borrowed has been returned,” he says.

As to the request from his father to repay the $50 million to $60 million, [JS] tells me that my questions are making “a lot more of that request” than he did at the time. “We never really saw it as a threat,” [JS] says. He says a shareholder agreement existed between father and son that said “we never have to give you back any money.”

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

Refresher re-post.
2021 rbbm
''Honey Sherman had no will. Barry had two. Most of the slain billionaire’s estate is wrapped up in his private companies and, so, documents unsealed by a court Friday list assets of just $124 million.''

''The billionaire’s estate papers reveal their four children were left equal shares of a fortune that the financial press, at time of death estimated at roughly $4.7 billion, but that Star sources say is more in the neighbourhood of $10 billion. Apotex, and Barry’s many other private business pursuits, are not covered by the documents that were released.

But Barry had a caveat. The one quarter share a child was to inherit would only be paid out when the child reached 35.''

''His primary will — the original copy is in the box — is a simple document dated May 13, 2005. The will, and associated documents in the court file, state that his entire fortune is to be treated the same, both the relatively small amount of assets in the primary will, and the billions (no accounting is provided) in his secondary will.

Barry’s instructions, should he die before Honey, was for the “net annual income” of all of his holdings (including Apotex) to be paid to Honey in quarterly instalments “or such other periodic payments as my wife may direct.” Barry also left instructions in his will to provide other payments to Honey, but those are not specified except that they refer to Barry’s “capital” related to his various businesses.

Upon Honey’s death, Barry’s will states, his children are to split his fortune equally, only receiving their individual portion once they reach 35 years of age.''

According to the estate records, dated June 2018, Honey died “intestate” — meaning she had no will.

The documents provide an accounting of each of their assets at time of death. The documents do not list specific assets, nor do they say how they arrived at this amount.

Barry had $66.9 million personal property and $1.8 million in real estate. Honey had $45.9 million in personal property and $9.5 million in real estate.''

This is 100% my opinion only.

May be HS felt while BS was alive she did not need a will. She knew she was taken care of if anything happened to BS, if she went first she knew BS would still be in control.

HS had no income and possibly BS claimed her as a dependent. Any and all businesses that HS was titled on were most likely funded and the ultimate responsibility of Sherfam or BS.

Why a service provider would make up a story about HS mentioning she updated her will I do not know, so I take it as possibly some truth in the detail. If so was this just a draft, for when she received her gifted hundreds of millions from BS, that the will was not yet complete and duly signed and witnessed?

The timing of HS potentially updating a will ( most of us think to add a grand child - sounds so logical ) with her expected gift of millions and a new home to be built with her name on the deed, then add on BS changing the way he gave out $$ I still think someone wanted to keep things the way they were and the only way was to remove these two who were changing their habits and now were spending money on HS wants.

I have always wondered how much, if any, JS paid back to the estate for monies received from his dad/company holdings, since in one breath he says it was all paid back with his first instalment of inheritance, but in the next breath he says none of had to be paid back to begin with. I would imagine that it wouldn't exactly be called 'paid back', but that the monies each sibling had received before the murders would have been considered with equalization amounts, ie JS would've received less from his 'first dispersal' than his youngest two siblings, who had reportedly received less than him over the years. imo. (Not sure each of the siblings would even have received their first 'dispersal', if they have not turned age 35 yet, but on paper, they may be entitled to more of a 'first dispersal' than older sibs who reportedly received more. imo)

As to the $125 million in interest-free loans his father had advanced his company over the years, [JS] said he paid that money back to the Sherman estate from his first “dispersal” of funds from the estate. (The money is being released to the four children in stages, although much of the fortune is tied up in Apotex which remains for sale.) “Every dollar borrowed has been returned,” he says.

As to the request from his father to repay the $50 million to $60 million, [JS] tells me that my questions are making “a lot more of that request” than he did at the time. “We never really saw it as a threat,” [JS] says. He says a shareholder agreement existed between father and son that said “we never have to give you back any money.”

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

If there was an agreement that they ‘never had to pay back money’, why did didn’t he or AP write that in the email chain about repaying the $50-60 million?

You’re probably right about the amount he paid back being lower than the amount owed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer