Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by gregjrichards, Apr 6, 2018.

1. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your post I can’t imagine how you must have felt when this tragedy happened both as a hockey parent and coach.

I personally think this needs to be tackled in both ways they must improve and legislate truck driver training requirements and testing and also improve the intersection with rumble strips, improved signage and preferably traffic lights. Too many people have died for inaction by the representatives of the area in charge of traffic safety.

People mourned these wonderful young people who lost their lives both in Canada and around the world and they cannot die in vain.

Jax49, bluesneakers and abeaman02 like this.
  2. alibrarian

alibrarian Well-Known Member

Completely agree on both - I travel into Canada every week for hockey related activities (games, practices) and I grew up out in the country where in some areas I have seen huge flashing lights, signs, strips on areas where one road doesn't stop (not a 4 way stop). Maybe create more four ways stops?

I would like to see more truck driving training, especially as AI or VR. Similar to pilots, and an emphasis on safety vs speed.

I have an alert for this thread hoping to hear about the investigation.

gregjrichards likes this.
  3. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

Double digit roadways (hwy 35) are considered primary highways. Triple digit roadways (hwy 335) connect to primary highways. Surely drivers of any type of vehicle are aware of the routes they choose to drive in advance and which highways cross where? But until the trial, what occurred to cause the crash is unknown but I’m doubtful the intersection would be considered unsafe.

“A semi-trailer travelling west along the 335 would have approached a stop sign and a flashing red warning light before the crossing.”
    'Something else has got to be done': Calls for change at intersection where Humboldt Broncos crash occurred | CBC News

I’m not saying I know what occurred in this case but I’ve travelled throughout Saskatchewan many times so my comments are intended to only offer my own personal insight. Traffic volumes on all rural prairie highways is often extremely low. In Saskatchewan, in the more northerly areas away from the Trans Canada Hwy, it’s possible to drive on a lonesome highway for 1/2 hour or more and not see one other motorist. Crisscrossing prairie highways are hundreds of intersections, flat land and all. Back in the past they provided access for homesteaders(farmers) and although most of the small farms are gone, the roads remain.

It’s commonly known other accidents occurring at these types of low volume intersections are caused because drivers see no need to heed road signage and blow through stop signs, assuming there’s nobody else on the road. If some drivers believe they have the right to intentionally ignore road signage and even flashing red lights, regardless of what improvements are made to intersections, it will not prevent accidents.

4. MistyWaters

Hearing for Sidhu was set for today but it was adjourned.

Defence election adjourned again for semi driver in Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Defence election, in which the accused chooses to have the case heard at either the provincial court level or the Queen’s Bench level, was adjourned until Nov. 27.

Sidhu has not yet entered pleas to his 29 charges of dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm.”

5. gregjrichards

Many thanks to all of you for your news updates and discussion posts they are all much appreciated.

I think of the victims families often and they are in my thoughts as they face their first holiday season without their loved ones. I can’t imagine what they are going through. I also think of the survivors and wish them the very best.

Jax49, Cosmia and alibrarian like this.
  6. ldlager

ldlager Well-Known Member

RBBM- In fact, the bus broadsided the truck>>>>

Arnie M likes this.
  7. will4u

will4u Active Member

there is zero damage to the front end of the truck, so its obvious it never hit anything,

the bus T-Boned the trailer part of the truck, not the cab, there is very little damage to the cab at all

8. otto

otto Verified Expert

Seatbelts for buses.

"Tom Straschnitzki contacted the Airdrie Minor Hockey Association when he discovered buses carrying players, including his younger son, didn't have seatbelts because it isn't yet mandatory. He said the association immediately made changes to ensure buses with seatbelts are used.

Transport Canada announced in June that the department will require all newly built highway buses to have seatbelts by September 2020. Some charter bus companies say many new buses already have seatbelts, although there is no way to ensure passengers are wearing them.

"It's a movement we're trying to start with the Buckle Up For the Broncos (campaign.) I think it's something that's going to resonate with people," said Michelle Straschnitzki."​

Paralyzed Broncos player, parents want seatbelts on buses | CBC News

9. will4u

will4u Active Member

that is the key phrase,

have you ever traveled on a bus with a hockey team?

i have my whole life, trust me, nobody would ever use them, people are rarely ever even sitting down on the bus,

it would be the same with school kids, they would be unbuckling them the minute a supervisor took their eyes off them,

i guess it would protect the bus companies, because they could say in a court case that the seatbelts are there, and its not their fault if passengers are not wearing them, but it wouldnt save many lives thats for sure

Arnie M likes this.
  10. puppyraiser

puppyraiser Active Member

11. MistyWaters

$15M Humboldt Broncos ******** should not be divided equally, committee says | CBC News
    The five-person committee's report on how the money should be split was filed in Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench Thursday. The April 6 crash killed 16 people and injured 13.

The proposed split would see survivors each receive $425,000, while the families or dependents of the crash's fatal victims would receive $475,000. These figures do not include a $50,000 interim payment each family received earlier this year.

12. gregjrichards

I just hope victims like Ryan and his family are able to live with all the costs they face with his injuries.

MistyWaters likes this.
  13. will4u

will4u Active Member

Life goes on.....and he is lucky his still does,

he is not the only person on earth who has to deal with a life altering/changing accident, it happens on a daily basis

MistyWaters likes this.
  14. JayFriend

JayFriend Well-Known Member

15. MistyWaters

16. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

17. gregjrichards

tarabull, MistyWaters and alibrarian like this.
  18. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

19. alibrarian

alibrarian Well-Known Member

20. gregjrichards