Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

who is going to enforce it though?

i played hockey in my younger years and traveled on hundreds of buses.....forget all about the seatbelts, people are rarely ever even sitting down in their seats

Seatbelt laws on buses in Canada, regardless of what sort of transportation - sports teams, school kids or transit, is a topic that’s been long debated.

Seatbelts on school buses could have prevented thousands of injuries, numerous deaths | CBC News

But I think it’s inevitable the federal govt will eventually pass mandatory bus seatbelt legislation to mitigate their liability otherwise it bears neglegance in not implementing safety standards. Then hockey organizations will be obliged to enforce it just the same as all the other disciplines expected of players.

..Whether perceived as good or bad, society increasingly marches towards more and more regulations in an attempt to protect us from virtually any disaster. There was a time when nobody thought about wearing seatbelts in airplanes or cars, helmets were for sissies and whirling around a merry-go-round was great fun.

Seatbelt laws on buses in Canada, regardless of what sort of transportation - sports teams, school kids or transit, is a topic that’s been long debated.

Seatbelts on school buses could have prevented thousands of injuries, numerous deaths | CBC News

But I think it’s inevitable the federal govt will eventually pass mandatory bus seatbelt legislation to mitigate their liability otherwise it bears neglegance in not implementing safety standards. Then hockey organizations will be obliged to enforce it just the same as all the other disciplines expected of players.

..Whether perceived as good or bad, society increasingly marches towards more and more regulations in an attempt to protect us from virtually any disaster. There was a time when nobody thought about wearing seatbelts in airplanes or cars, helmets were for sissies and whirling around a merry-go-round was great fun.

good points,

however, my point and question was who is going to be the "police man" or "law enforcement" (so to speak) on the bus to make sure its enforced??

is the bus driver now going to be expected to take on that extra responsibility?.....cause thats not going to go over too well without a drastic increase in their pay,

and who is going to listen anyway?

are we going to need the equivalent of "flight attendants" on buses to make sure everybody is wearing their seat belts?

good points,

however, my point and question was who is going to be the "police man" or "law enforcement" (so to speak) on the bus to make sure its enforced??

is the bus driver now going to be expected to take on that extra responsibility?.....cause thats not going to go over too well without a drastic increase in their pay,

and who is going to listen anyway?

are we going to need the equivalent of "flight attendants" on buses to make sure everybody is wearing their seat belts?

I think seatbelt on bus laws would be easiest to enforce for sports teams as the coach or trainer is usually a passenger and players already are aware of the risk of getting benched for a wide variety of infractions.

However I understand why bus drivers in general wouldn’t look forward to the added responsibility considering they do not have eyes in the back of their head. Imagine a day where all passengers must be sitting squarely in their seats and a holding bar drops from the roof securing everyone in place before the engine will start! Who knows.

Ryan Straschnitzki, paralyzed in Humboldt Broncos crash, plans for experimental procedure in Thailand
Ryan Straschnitzki of Airdrie, Alta. plans to undergo an experimental surgical procedure on his spine that he hopes can restore some movement below the level of his injury.

It’s kind of cool. Turning humans into robots,” the 19-year-old said with a laugh in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.......

........Straschnitzki was inspired to try the procedure by Calgary surgeon Dr. Richi Gill, who had the operation last year after he was paralyzed in an accident.

Only a half dozen people in Canada have had it done abroad and only about 30 worldwide....”

Seat belts would not nessesarily have saved anyone.
The front third of the bus was totally demolished and the right side of the bus was torn like a can opener had peeled it off .

Yes , a few lives may have been saved if passengers were belted in , it could keep them from being flung forward to the impact zone , but we also must remember that many people survived without wearing belts.

The seat belts issue is mostly a knee jerk reaction to the tragedy , much the same as folks who want all the trees cut down at the intersection.

Personally I would likely wear a belt if available on a bus , providing I was planning on staying in my seat , but I would not expect young hockey guys to sit still like I might.

Lets face it , this was a rare accident caused by an inattentive driver. We should not blame the trees or the belts.

After 333 days, Morgan Gobeil has been released from the hospital. He still has a long journey ahead, but thankfully he is on the road to recovery. All the best, Morgan!!!!

Injured Humboldt Broncos player released from hospital nearly 1 year after crash

I can’t imagine being in hospital for that length of time after a week I start going crazy. All the players and their families continue to be in my prayers it is going to be very emotional at the first anniversary soon.

I can’t imagine being in hospital for that length of time after a week I start going crazy.

not to sound mean, but the kid probably didn't even know he was in a hospital....he is not well mentally

I can’t imagine being in hospital for that length of time after a week I start going crazy. All the players and their families continue to be in my prayers it is going to be very emotional at the first anniversary soon.

So great to see you back on this thread Greg. You have been one of the most compassionate posters here.
This tragedy tugs so terribly at the heart. And it goes on for so many families.

So great to see you back on this thread Greg. You have been one of the most compassionate posters here.
This tragedy tugs so terribly at the heart. And it goes on for so many families.

Thank you very much. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims, survivors and their families.

Determining 'appropriate' sentence for semi driver in Humboldt Broncos crash is an impossible task for courts

Determining 'appropriate' sentence for semi driver in Humboldt crash is an impossible task for courts:Analysis | CBC News

It is going to be interesting to see what kind of sentence he receives tomorrow the judge has a very difficult task.

Crown prosecutor Thomas Healey's recommendation that the truck driver in the Humboldt Broncos crash in Saskatchewan should receive a 10-year prison sentence has raised eyebrows in the legal community.

At the sentencing hearing in late January, Healey argued passionately to Judge Inez Cardinal that Jaskirat Singh Sidhu deserves 10 years based on his moral blameworthiness, the number of victims and the need to send a strong message to other drivers.

"It was a shockingly high request," said defence lawyer Daniel Brown, who specializes in dangerous driving cases in Toronto. He believes Sidhu's actions barely cross the threshold to be prosecuted as dangerous driving.

Judge considers 'shockingly high' sentence request for truck driver in Humboldt bus crash | CBC News

Trucker who caused Broncos crash likely to be deported after sentence: lawyer
“Waldman says permanent residents such as Sidhu cannot remain in the country if they commit a crime for which the maximum sentence is at least 10 years or their jail sentence is more than six months.

And he says that with a term of more than six months, there's no right to appeal a deportation order......

......Sidhu's sentencing hearing heard that his girlfriend immigrated to Toronto in 2013 and he followed her shortly after. The pair were students and moved to Calgary.

In January 2018, the couple travelled back to India and were married Feb. 15. They returned to Canada in March. Three weeks before the crash, he was hired by a small Calgary trucking company...”

Kevin Matechuk says he will never, never forgive the semi driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

his choice to make,

in my opinion its not healthy for anybody to have "hate" towards another person, it does no good, and only harms your own mental state of mind,

forgive and move on, the man made a mistake, we all do....nobody is perfect, and nobody ever will be,

being angry at somebody for the remainder of your life accomplishes nothing

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu Has been sentenced to eight years in prison. He is banned from driving for ten years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCAlerts
@CBCAlerts
1m

BREAKING: Judge sentences Jaskirat Singh Sidhu to concurrent sentence of 8 years for 29 counts of dangerous driving in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash. 'Seconds matter. Attention to the road matters.... Somehow we must stop this carnage on our highways.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back