Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

Here is another article from Thursday (you might have to play around a bit to get it):

Alan kept repeating “I can’t believe this happened. I can’t believe he did this to us.”

“Who do you think did this to you?” Kovacs asked. “Family,” he said.

“Why do you think that?” “Financial,” he said. Kovacs remembers Alan saying the bedroom door “was blocked.” That somebody was holding the door. And “I couldn’t get out of the room.”

The paramedic realized Alan might die before giving a statement to police. She thinks he realized it too. She told him to concentrate on his breathing, “so you can tell your story.”
Once inside the ambulance, where it was quieter, Stevenson asked Alan who it was that he couldn’t save.

“My wife,” he answered. “He explained to us he was in his bedroom. He was sleeping. He couldn’t get out of his bedroom door so he jumped out the window.

“He did say the fire or something was blocking the bedroom door.”

Then Stevenson heard Alan say, “I think it’s my son-in-law” and “because there’s a lot of problems going on.”

Stevenson testified he is sure those were Alan’s exact words.

He doesn’t remember Alan using the word “financial.”

...the brothers inherited the house. It would have gone to Alan, but he survived just 12 hours longer than Carla.

After the fire, the house had to be demolished. The property, along with Carla’s investments, savings and insurance eventually worked out to a total of $843,000 to be split equally between her boys, Richard and Chris Taylor.

Chris, 41, took the stand Friday, never once looking at Rich, 46.
“I had been made aware that there were some financial issues with some friends that had lent him money. And those funds had not been paid back, so I was reluctant to lend him anything myself.”

...Rich was executor of Carla’s estate. Money began to go missing.

One account had withdrawals that were “unaccounted for,” Chris said. More than $10,000 was missing.

A $6,800 cheque Rich was supposed to have sent to the estate lawyer never got there.

“Rich said it had been sent and it must have been lost.”

Chris made the payment himself. Also, he paid the costs of Carla and Alan’s wake, which his brother was supposed to have settled.
The day before the fire, Rich asked his mom for money. She had previously given him $6,000.

“Just so you know, I gave him some money just now,” Carla texted to Chris. “I’m not going to get into this with him before they leave for Greece but I think you and I should have a discussion with him after they get back.”

Court has heard Rich and his wife and kids were supposed to leave for Greece on July 11.

His wife’s family had paid for their plane tickets, but Rich wouldn’t have had money for anything else once he was there, the Crown has suggested.
“I’m his mother and your his business partner brother,” she texted. “If we don’t intervene it’ll just keep going on and probably get worse. The three of us were the family unit for many years. I’ve got to believe we can get through to him.”

Twelve hours later, Carla was dead.

(search alan rutherford)

...the brothers inherited the house. It would have gone to Alan, but he survived just 12 hours longer than Carla.

After the fire, the house had to be demolished. The property, along with Carla’s investments, savings and insurance eventually worked out to a total of $843,000 to be split equally between her boys, Richard and Chris Taylor.

Chris, 41, took the stand Friday, never once looking at Rich, 46.
“I had been made aware that there were some financial issues with some friends that had lent him money. And those funds had not been paid back, so I was reluctant to lend him anything myself.”

...Rich was executor of Carla’s estate. Money began to go missing.

One account had withdrawals that were “unaccounted for,” Chris said. More than $10,000 was missing.

A $6,800 cheque Rich was supposed to have sent to the estate lawyer never got there.

“Rich said it had been sent and it must have been lost.”

Chris made the payment himself. Also, he paid the costs of Carla and Alan’s wake, which his brother was supposed to have settled.
The day before the fire, Rich asked his mom for money. She had previously given him $6,000.

“Just so you know, I gave him some money just now,” Carla texted to Chris. “I’m not going to get into this with him before they leave for Greece but I think you and I should have a discussion with him after they get back.”

Court has heard Rich and his wife and kids were supposed to leave for Greece on July 11.

His wife’s family had paid for their plane tickets, but Rich wouldn’t have had money for anything else once he was there, the Crown has suggested.
“I’m his mother and your his business partner brother,” she texted. “If we don’t intervene it’ll just keep going on and probably get worse. The three of us were the family unit for many years. I’ve got to believe we can get through to him.”

Twelve hours later, Carla was dead.

(search alan rutherford)
ETA: Looks like the trial WAS going on, on Friday, but I was unable to find the listing for it in the court schedule.

With all the talk of the accused hiding finances from his wife, and her parents paying for the airfare for a trip to Greece for the couple.. it seems he may have been caught up in 'keeping up with the Joneses', and trying to live up to his spouse's and her family's expectations? What a terrible case. And for Alan to have known, and seen, and been blocked from exiting the bedroom, etc... just unimaginable. imo.

They seemed to have the main players testify during the first week, paramedics, neighbours, police, the accused's brother.. I wonder what's in store for the remaining 5 weeks? I don't think they had fire reports yet? Or the video evidence from the neighbour's video? Coroner's report? I guess possibly the accused's wife/inlaws?? Maybe not??

Murder trial hears about money loans

Friend of Richard Taylor tells court he put thousands of dollars into woodworking business

There were seven swabs of blood taken from 8 Greening Ct., including from the back patio door, another rear door where the window was smashed but the door was locked, the door between the kitchen and a landing, a kitchen closet door, a phone found on the floor near the patio door, a wooden stick at the patio door and a chain on a side gate.

All swabs were found to be a DNA match for Alan Rutherford.
On cross-examination, Taylor’s lawyer Jennifer Penman suggested police photographed everything as it appeared when they arrived. Giuliani agreed. Penman pointed to an open basement window, just below the Rutherford’s bedroom window. Giuliani agreed that is how he found the scene after the fire.

The trial continues Tuesday.

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

This article is from Tuesday's trial day, and there is a news clip from Tuesday at the bottom link:

Forensic officer testifies about what appear to be doctored bills

The Crown theory is Taylor spread gasoline on their bedroom floor and lit a match while they slept so he could inherit his mother’s estate.
Taylor was in default on his mortgage for the Oakville house he lived in...

“The arrears are serious,” a letter from Canadian Mortgage Financing Company said. “We have been unsuccessful in reaching you.”

Union Gas sent a letter saying it would disconnect service.

One credit card had an outstanding balance of $23,000. Other credit cards were also maxed out.

There were numerous bank accounts. Most had little or no money.

There were notices of defaulted bank loans totalling more than $70,000.

Hydro and water bills hadn’t been paid.

A Hudson Bay account balance was $2,342 and three minimum payments had been missed.

Bell Canada gave notice it was suspending service.

One notice was addressed to Evangelia. BMO said her Mastercard account had been shut down and she was to cut up her card.
one doctored statement showed an account with a balance of $131,261.61. But when Huys carefully removed the tiny bit of paper taped over the balance, she found the account was overdrawn by $454.15.
A recording of the conversation was played for the jury. He says he had an injured knee and couldn’t possibly have been involved in the fire. And he can’t believe Alan told people he did it.

“That’s impossible … There’s no f---ing way that he said that … This is ridiculous,” he said.

Do you have any financial issues? police asked.

Taylor offered an emphatic one word answer: “No.”

pressreader.com (then search alan rutherford for most recent articles)
---------------

The latest on the Richard Taylor murder trial

Court heard today that police found a large bag of mail addressed to the accused that included, what appeared to be forged bank statements.

Forensic officer testifies about fake bank statements at Richard Taylor trial

This news clip is from Wednesday's court:

Richard Taylor double-murder trial: Crown asks “why would someone fake a leg injury two days before the fire?”

On July 7th, 2018, two days before his parent’s house went up in flames, medical records show Richard Taylor went to an Oakville hospital on crutches. He said he fell down his mother’s stairs and hurt his knee.

The next day, hours before the fire, he was seen walking around a Shoppers Drug Mart with ease.
Hours after the fire, Taylor was called to the police station for an interview. He was back to using a cane and had a limp.

The Crown asked the jury, “why would someone fake a leg injury two days before the fire?” This important detail of the Crown’s case took up the majority of today’s testimony.

Hamilton police officers were surveilling Taylor for weeks after the incident. Several officers testified that for the most part, Taylor was walking just fine, even on the same days that he would later show up at the police station with a cane.

The trial by jury continues Thursday, May 19th.

Richard Taylor double-murder trial: Crown asks "why would someone fake a leg injury two days before the fire?" - CHCH

''Editor’s note: This article contains graphic content that may be upsetting.

Although the forensic pathologist did her best to keep her testimony as clinical as possible, there is no avoiding the reality that Carla and Alan Rutherford died painful, gruesome deaths.

They were burned alive.

On July 9, 2018, while they slept, someone deposited petroleum at the foot of their bed and set it on fire.

Carla’s son, Richard Taylor, is accused of being that person. The 46-year-old husband, father and former elementary school teacher is on trial for two counts of first-degree murder.

Alan’s grown daughters were in the courtroom Thursday as Dr. Jennifer Dmetrichuk explained how he and Carla died.

Carla’s mouth and airway were black with soot. All the way into her trachea, indicating she was alive and breathing when the fire began.

She had severe burns over 50 to 55 per cent of her body. Her hands and feet “degloved,” meaning her skin came away entirely.''

It sounds like the mother had one son who had his eye on her estate value, and wanted an early inheritance. Upthread reports are that the bedroom door was barricaded so the suspect's stepfather had no choice but to jump 3 metres out of a window to the ground. He lived long enough to identify a suspect.

Was it supposed to look like the house randomly exploded? His stepfather survived for 12 hours and identified a suspect. The suspect's only sibling, a brother, knew the situation through communication with their mother. The suspects' wife's family paid for the suspect's family to visit Greece, but the suspect had no pocket money to pay for their time in Greece? He borrowed money, ran up debt, and his mother was pulling the plug on borrowing at the same time that she and her husband were burned alive.

Did I get that right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back