Canada - Connor, 6, & Noah Barthe, 4, killed by python, Campbellton, NB, 5 Aug 2013

Autopsy scheduled for Connor and Noah Barthe, on Tuesday...

"Comeau said the deaths are a shock to the small city and some people still can't believe what happened."

http://www.cp24.com/news/autopsies-to-be-conducted-on-boys-killed-by-python-1.1399267#ixzz2bBsUe5tC

Count me among the disbelieving...

"Savoie said he went into the living room, where the kids were sleeping, and discovered a gruesome sight.

“I thought they were sleeping until I [saw] the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I [saw] this horrific scene,” he said.

“[The snake] went through a ventilation system. I don’t understand how it did it. It went through the ceiling…and the snake fell through the living room from the ceiling,” he said.

“I found the snake. It was in a hole underneath. I pinned him down and put him in a cage,” Savoie said."

http://globalnews.ca/news/762560/escaped-python-strangles-kills-two-children-in-new-brunswick/

So Super-snake..

- escaped from its apparently locked cage.
- rather than crawling around the store, it broke into and traversed the air vents to -not just- the second floor, but the ceiling of the second floor... and then...
- busted through the ceiling plaster so it could pounce on two sleeping boys in the (living room?) below and....
- then, ninja-like, proceeded to simultaneously strangle to death two VERY QUIET kids who must have sadly slept so very soundly that falling chunks of ceiling and a 45 pound serpent plopping down didn't wake them and then...
- crawled into "a hole underneath" (underneath WHAT? the floor? the kids? why's there a hole big enough for a 14-ft snake? wtf) to craftily hide in.. (but oho! not craftily enough that it couldn't be 'pinned down', despite being in a hole.. ?...)

Forget animal control. Grab some kryptonite.

- .. until its owner, despite there being two dead kids lying there and his own son in the house, MAGICALLY deduced the killer MUST be a snake that he SOMEHOW spotted, despite said snake being in that convenient hole "underneath", and proceeded to wrangle it back into its cage all neat and tidy rather than.. you know.. grabbing his own kid, getting the hell out of there and phoning police.

Ausgirl: yep. I wasn't going to comment but what I did notice was the absence of photos of his kid he got custody of. To clarify for others: the two boys are a friend's who lives nearby. They were visiting and slept over with his own son who is around the same age and who was sleeping in another room. I saw some photos (on fb) of the three boys in a snake enclosure helping to clean it with a hose. It looked like a huge terrarium glass tank and was said to have been for an anaconda snake. I'm suspicious of this guy but I also wonder if they knew where the keys were and visited the snake that night, being curious. JMO

Autopsy is being done today.
I sure am interested in a cause of death for these children.

I know snakes like pythons can strangle a large animal and eat it by swallowing. Something does not look right. Why would a snake strangle two boys. Hopefully, an autopsy will reveal cause of death.

I want to know how a snake could get itself AROUND two boys who were sleeping on the floor? How does it get UNDER something that size?

...Savoie, who pinned and caged the python, said no one normally handles the snake, which he described as "vicious." Former store employee Tim Thomas told the National Post that "every cage had two locks on it." The store also has two enclosures for crocodiles....

Crocodiles? Really? Why?!

And if every cage has two locks on it, how did this snake get out?

I want to know how a snake could get itself AROUND two boys who were sleeping on the floor? How does it get UNDER something that size?

If the snake went into the vent and dropped from the ceiling, wouldn't that have woken those boys up.

Thing is, African Rock Pythons -have- killed people in the past. They're highly aggressive and (according to my very experienced snake-wrangling friends) a lousy choice of pet due to a pronounced tendency to bite. Apparently the species of snake is very unlikely to hunt and attack human kids for food at this size, as they'd be too big for it to eat. It might attack out of fear and shock, for sure, but it's doubtful the children wouldn't have woken up and screamed the place down first, especially if it -landed- on them out of the ceiling... it would have bitten before it crushed them. Both. Simultaneously..... yeah.

But yupyup, something's really off about Savoie's story. IMO the snake is likely more convenient than guilty.

The autopsy results should be interesting.

That poor family.. losing two children at once. Unthinkable.

If the snake went into the vent and dropped from the ceiling, wouldn't that have woken those boys up.

100 pounds of anything dropping from the ceiling to the floor would make a noise, even if it fell on to a bed or a sofa, there would be noise, for sure. Not to mention the noise of it making the hole in the ceiling...

I can't help but believe those boys would have been making a hell of a lot of noise.

Did it kill both boys at the same time? Were they sleeping in the same bed? I would think that if one of them was being attacked, the other one would run for help or at least be making a big commotion.

Hi teh! Yes, sounds as if this whole Reptile Ocean place is in Hinky Hollow.

It sure does. Aside from Super-snake <modsnip>:

- African Rock Pythons are illegal to own or sell in that Province (and there should also be checks made on Nile crocs, which Savoie was breeding there, and which I am pretty sure are a protected S African species that are not supposed to be in Canada, either..)

- the business isn't licenced. (ETA: the deputy mayor says it was all kosher when he toured the place a couple years ago... but the mayor says there's no record of a licence... ruh roh?)

- there's no permit for a dwelling above the store

- there's an existing petition demanding the store be closed for ill-treatment of the animals

"The Department of Natural Resources said it could not comment on the specifics of the case as it is being investigated by the RCMP as a criminal matter."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/08/06/nb-snake-boys-campbellton-mayor.html

100 pounds of anything dropping from the ceiling to the floor would make a noise, even if it fell on to a bed or a sofa, there would be noise, for sure. Not to mention the noise of it making the hole in the ceiling...

This whole thing just does not look right.

I feel so horrible for their wonderful mom. She loved those kids so much and his kid too.. :crying:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back