Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian snowbirds flock to vaccinate in Florida as rollouts lag north of the border
''OTTAWA - Snowbirds are rushing to get inoculated against COVID-19 down south as provincial vaccine rollouts lag north of the border.

While many of the roughly one million Canadians who flock to sunnier climes most winters have stayed put this year, those who made the migration are signing up for shots.

More than 329,000 people in Florida alone have already received at least one dose, compared to fewer than 207,000 doses administered across Canada as of Thursday, according to one vaccine tracker.''

Florida allows anyone aged 65 and older to sign up for vaccination - at clinics, hospitals drive-thru sites and soon pharmacies - including non-residents and foreigners. County health departments oversee registrations, which can fill up quickly.''

It was on my list of things I could do if I wanted to improve my chances ... I ran myself through the Vaccine Cue calculator and found myself in stage 3; and then what if .... I returned to work in the health field, I'd be in stage 1 and if I landed myself in jail I'd be in stage 2 and if I wintered in Florida, it's likely I'd already be vaccinated :)

Does anyone know what 70% more transmissible means?

In Feb/Mar 2019, we knew that the virus could survive on paper, like mail, for 24 hours. It could survive on plastic for 3 days. I never did find an answer to how long it survives on glass.

Were we over-reacting then? Was the virus weaker, so we relaxed how we handled groceries and touched objects, or was it just that there is lower transmission in the Summer - like the common cold?

What does 70% more transmissible mean for us - should we change how we buy groceries, wash our food before it comes into the house or is it okay to wash food after it is in the house?

Where is the expertise to respond to the UK 70% more transmissible mutation and the South African variant that may be resistant to the vaccine?

I'm not convinced there's an argument to be made. He could have taken sick time, but chose to go to work - in spite of covid concerns - to receive the bonus.

"Amidst the pandemic, Cargill began to offer its workers a bonus. Ariana said Quesada kept going into work to get that bonus.

"They were going to give them a $500 bonus if they didn't miss a day of work," she said. "Unfortunately, we're a family of six, and a $500 bonus is going to make a difference in bills and in our lives. That was his main motivation to go to work. He wouldn't have gone without that $500."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/benito-quesada-cargill-outbreak-coronavirus-ariana-1.5582205

I'm not convinced there's an argument to be made. He could have taken sick time, but chose to go to work - in spite of covid concerns - to receive the bonus.

"Amidst the pandemic, Cargill began to offer its workers a bonus. Ariana said Quesada kept going into work to get that bonus.

"They were going to give them a $500 bonus if they didn't miss a day of work," she said. "Unfortunately, we're a family of six, and a $500 bonus is going to make a difference in bills and in our lives. That was his main motivation to go to work. He wouldn't have gone without that $500."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/benito-quesada-cargill-outbreak-coronavirus-ariana-1.5582205

I agree. He made the choice to go. He took the risk voluntarily.

I agree. He made the choice to go. He took the risk voluntarily.

The family might claim that the lure of money was too powerful, but in other articles they admit to being fully informed of all medical updates and were aware of the risks. Many people today know the risks but still go to work. It's not reasonable that every person who gets sick at work should requests a police investigation. Gargill was a large outbreak, but so are long term care facilities and occasionally hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni