Canada - Five slain at Brentwood house party, Calgary, 15 April 2014 *Insanity*

How did this go down? I am trying to imagine a scenerio where this makes sense. What was everyone else doing? Wasn't there screams or people fleeing the house. Very strange.

Honestly, I would have screamed and ran while simultaneously calling 911 on my cell.

It was late night/early morning when the murders occurred, so the neighbours might have been sleeping. It is an area heavily populated by students who often rent houses together, roommates, etc. Being the end of the semester, other parties may have been taking place as well, loud music would have made it difficult to hear screaming.

I keep going back to the shot of him being loaded into the stretcher after his arrest. There was no blood that I could see. For someone who just spent 40 minutes being pursued by LE and taken down by a K9, he appears to be relatively 'unrumpled'.

He was employed at a grocery store. I know quite a few employees who work at places like Saveon, Loblaws, Superstore. Depending on their position, many wear tool belts of sorts designed to hold box cutters, tape, even knives which may be used to open boxes, break down card board, attach labels, etc. I don't know that the fact that he may have had a smaller knife on him at the time of arrest can be taken as an indication of premeditation.

Oh my ......

This is what I believe to be an less edited version of a picture showing the suspect being loaded into an ambulance.

347a90n.jpg

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Stabbing+suspect+Matthew+Grood+transferred+psychiatric/9745034/story.html

There appears to be bruising on his head. An area on his chin and below his jaw has been obviously blacked out (I don't believe it's just shadow). But look at his torso. Do those look like dog bites to you ? IMO, those may be stab wounds.

I had read somewhere that he was wearing his work best to the party, it doesn't appear to be on him in this pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was obvious to his parents that he was not in a healthy frame of mind that night, according to some media reports a fellow officer who knows the De Groods said that Matthew had sent texts to his parents that were so concerning his father went out to search for him and his mother made a call to the cops (probably reaching out to the cops they knew in an unofficial capacity to ask them to help look for Matthew)

it will be interesting to know if he did have any prior mental health issues, and whether he was treated, he appeared to be functioning well, holding down a job, being admitted to law school, his family will be able to help LE with knowledge of how he was behaving prior to the murders

it is just so sad for all involved,

MSM identifies the man in the picture as suspect Matthew de Grood.

How long was he at the party before the murders allegedly took place ?
Had he been to the home before, for how long, and for what purpose ?

Have LE explicitly stated that they do not believe anyone else is involved and de Grood is their only suspect ?

I'm trying to picture how this took place, how he was able to single handedly fatally wound five adults. Did he have practice with knives, was he perhaps a hunter ?

Oh my ......

This is what I believe to be an less edited version of a picture showing the suspect being loaded into an ambulance.

347a90n.jpg

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Stabbing+suspect+Matthew+Grood+transferred+psychiatric/9745034/story.html

There appears to be bruising on his head. An area on his chin and below his jaw has been obviously blacked out (I don't believe it's just shadow). But look at his torso. Do those look like dog bites to you ? IMO, those may be stab wounds.

:seeya: Good eyes. Yes, it appears to be a bruise on his head, and stab wounds on his torso to me.

He ran away after this, correct?

I would imagine there was a struggle with the 5 and others at the party. Maybe he was bashed on the head by someone and he was in such a rage (blackout), he continued on?

Tomorrow, he will be in front of the court and they will more than likely order a psych evaluation.

JMO.

Just a reminder, which I should not have to do because we all know the rules, but if you have forgotten here it is:

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Link to the FB site but do not post a screenshot.

Thanks for all the links and comments! I'm just catching up on the discussion. Regarding drugs, police said early on the suspect was not drunk, or on drugs. He acted alone. It has been reported that people at the party (keep in mind that they may have been drinking, or on drugs) either froze, or ran away.

The suspect had completed his BSc in Psychology and was accepted to the University of Calgary faculty of law September 2014 intake. Of the five victims, one was in his last year of an engineering degree, one was a ballet instructor, one attended the Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD), one took some courses at Mount Royal University, and I believe one took some courses at the University of Calgary. Although the party was on Bermuda Shorts Day (University of Calgary last day of classes party), it doesn't sound like the party was all that closely associated with the University.

My guess is that the suspect either had a psychotic break, or he has schizophrenia. He is currently held in a secure forensic psychiatric facility. Although he is charged with five counts of first degree murder, I think that he will be sentenced to psychiatric treatment and released when his psychological issues are under control, but we'll see.

MSM reports that the accused was taken to hospital for treatment of a dog bite.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Accused+Calgary+worst+mass+killing+called+friendly+quiet/9742346/story.html

The wounds shown in this article do not look like dog bites. They look like stab wounds. Nothing in MSM suggests he was stabbed, self inflicted or otherwise.

He wasn't stabbed. After stabbing five people, he ran through the neighbourhood. Police arrived with K9 units and the dogs tracked, attacked, and apprehended, the suspect.

:rose:
" A friend of Jordan Segura, one of the five young victims who died after a mass stabbing at a Calgary house party last week, told mourners at his funeral service that he died surrounded by people who loved him.

Jayda Shreenan told more than 300 mourners at the funeral service that Segura wasn't alone at the time of his death, but was surrounded by his friends.

Segura, 22, was the first of the victims from the stabbing attack to be laid to rest."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/victim...e-alone-mourners-told-1.1784466#ixzz2zYN2CLk0

" CALGARY -- The uncle of a woman who was stabbed to death at a house party told mourners at her funeral Monday that she was "a tiny girl with such huge courage."

There was overwhelming grief but also laughter as Kaiti Perras was remembered as a dancer, sister, artist and confidante.

Perras, who was 23, was one of five young people killed last week in an attack at a party marking the end of classes at the University of Calgary."

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/uncle-of-c...ith-such-huge-courage-1.1784442#ixzz2zYsr3WOr

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/20/f...ed-at-calgary-house-party-devastated-by-loss/
"Zackariah Rathwell, 23, was a first-year student at the Alberta College of Art and Design. He was in a band called Zackariah and the Prophets along with Josh Hunter, 22, a commerce student at the University of Calgary’s Haskayne School of Business.

Rathwell’s family issued a statement late Sunday afternoon.

“We are devastated by what happened. It is a struggle every day to understand that Zackariah won’t be coming home. He was so close to so many, and touched the lives of everyone he came into contact with,” said the family in a statement.

“To the other families, please accept our deepest condolences for your loss, no one should ever have to lose someone who was so young and full of so much potential.”

Rathwell’s funeral is planned for Tuesday."

Thanks for all the links and comments! I'm just catching up on the discussion. Regarding drugs, police said early on the suspect was not drunk, or on drugs. He acted alone. It has been reported that people at the party (keep in mind that they may have been drinking, or on drugs) either froze, or ran away.

The suspect had completed his BSc in Psychology and was accepted to the University of Calgary faculty of law September 2014 intake. Of the five victims, one was in his last year of an engineering degree, one was a ballet instructor, one attended the Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD), one took some courses at Mount Royal University, and I believe one took some courses at the University of Calgary. Although the party was on Bermuda Shorts Day (University of Calgary last day of classes party), it doesn't sound like the party was all that closely associated with the University.

My guess is that the suspect either had a psychotic break, or he has schizophrenia. He is currently held in a secure forensic psychiatric facility. Although he is charged with five counts of first degree murder, I think that he will be sentenced to psychiatric treatment and released when his psychological issues are under control, but we'll see.

Or, he's just an evil jealous murdering **** like Jason Downie.

Or, he's just an evil jealous murdering **** like Jason Downie.

The suspect is not evil. By all accounts he was a normal young man that had a normal life. He was not an abuser of drugs or alcohol. He completed his BSc in Psychology at a good university and was working parttime at a large grocery store. There was nothing in his history that would suggest that he could commit murder. On the night of the murder, his parents knew that something had gone wrong in his thinking. They were searching for him because they feared that he would harm himself.

Thanks for posting that pic. Paragirl, kudos to Calgary transit for that beautiful gesture honouring Lawrence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back