Found Deceased Canada - Genevieve Cormier, 19, St John, NB, 29 Sept 2013 - #2

There has been nothing in the news since the day of Genevieve's funeral. No word on the forensic report at all. The last real update on what may have happened to Gen was a few days after they recovered her body. The police said they did not suspect foul play. This statement was made before the pathologist's report was complete :what: That makes no sense whatsoever.

I completely agree with you. Genn did not appear to be a good candidate for the suicide theory. It doesn't make sense. My opinion is that she did not purposely kill herself. There should not have been a statement made about foul play until the pathologist's report was final. I'm not involved with LE but it's common sense to wait for all the facts. Wonder what the requirements are for Canadian pathologists? [All MOO] :banghead:

:welcome6: new members!

Great point about broken bones. Yes you would certainly think there would be trauma to the body of someone jumping from a bridge. Sadly though in this case there is no information given as to how the coroner came to the conclusion of suicide. At least not reported in the MSM anyhow. I would hope Gen's family are privy to the autopsy information if they chose. I'm not saying nor do I believe Gen committed suicide but IF she did, it may have been from numerous forms such as jumping from the bridge, drugs, cutting, did LE find a weapon such as a gun or knife used by the victim? IMHO it seems LE are being pretty tight lipped about the details. Just that one tidbit of information for the public could put this case to rest. I am not meaning we need to know all the gory details, just how they have come to their conclusions to show these cases have been suicides.

I myself believe it would be beneficial for someone(s) local to contact LE and voice their concerns about these suggested suicide cases in the past year. It certainly cannot hurt and the more the locals rally together, the better chances are that LE will take this serious. Maybe they are doing further investigating but keeping everything hush hush. Again IMHO IF there a potential of a perp out there murdering young women and LE suspect it's a possibility, it's not fair LE are not putting out a public warning for locals. :moo:

Not to sound morbid but I would think that she may have had broken bones regardless....The tides and currents are very strong in the Bay of Fundy and since her body was washed ashore bones could very well have been broken post mortem....I would think that it would be very difficult to ascertain cause of death, which is why I doubtr that the police could be certain that there was no foul play so soon after the body was recovered. So to me that leaves to possiblilities...that they are investigatiing further behind the scenes or that they are looking for the easy answer (suicide). Unfortunately, given the other cases, I suspect the latter. Makes me very sad and very afraid for the young women of this city.

I myself believe it would be beneficial for someone(s) local to contact LE and voice their concerns about these suggested suicide cases in the past year. It certainly cannot hurt and the more the locals rally together, the better chances are that LE will take this serious

I am not sure this would be appropriate without the support of the family/families. We don't know what the police have told them. They may have a lot more information on the forensic report than the public has. I do realize that they are grieving and may not have the capacity to pursue this.

I don't think anybody is looking any further into anything. We'll probably never know.

Attachments

• Gen Cormier No Link.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 35
I completely agree with you. Genn did not appear to be a good candidate for the suicide theory. It doesn't make sense. My opinion is that she did not purposely kill herself. There should not have been a statement made about foul play until the pathologist's report was final. I'm not involved with LE but it's common sense to wait for all the facts. Wonder what the requirements are for Canadian pathologists? [All MOO] :banghead:
They toned down their earlier reports after Genevieve's family objected to her death being called suicide.

I have relinked these articles so you can see what I mean. The sub-heading under the CBC article states that they are still waiting for the autopsy report before ruling out foul play; and the second very short article from the radio station also states that they have not released the cause of her death.

So, we officially wait; but I won't get my hopes up. It's pretty clear what they are saying, but are being respectful to Genn's family.

Foul play not suspected in death of Genevieve Cormier
Police still waiting for autopsy report before ruling out foul play in Saint John teen's death
CBC NewsPosted: Nov 04, 2013 11:57 AM AT|Last Updated: Nov 04, 2013 7:37 PM AT

Police do not suspect foul play in the death of New Brunswick teenager Genevieve Cormier, but are not ruling it out until they have the autopsy report.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ected-in-death-of-genevieve-cormier-1.2355421

News 88.9 | Gen Cormier’s final farewell set for Friday
Alison Clements | Nov 4, 2013 03:50:32 PM

Police have yet to release the cause of Cormier’s death.

http://www.news889.com/2013/11/04/gen-cormiers-final-farewell-set-for-friday/

Our pathologists are specialized medical doctors are are highly skilled; I think the problem may come with our Coroner's office.

The province of NB seems to be the only province that hasn't updated our act since about 1966. There will most likely be no inquest into Genn's death; and if there is, the results will be aimed at suiting them, not the public.

IMO, of course. :)

Province of New Brunswick - Coroner's Services

I don't think anybody is looking any further into anything. We'll probably never know.
I agree. I saw where this was heading almost immediately after Genn was found on the beach.

Thank you very much for your link. I hope everyone takes a moment to open it.

It honestly made my blood boil, though.

Sgt. Henderson--it seems he is so disappointed in the outcome--due to all his hard work--that he may need help to deal with this traumatic incident.
b7025f08c0a861523fcb8a13e6951aa6a3f82ba.gif

Have they lost their minds? Have they no sensitivity? What about the victims who will never get to live and breath another day?

Don't we own them at least an honest attempt to find justice for them?

Who will speak for them when they can no longer speak for themselves?

I posted this earlier, but I have to post just this one 'myth' again.

4lsgmo.gif
Myth Number Ten:
Our present methods of catching serial killers work.

“The typical scenario in a serial homicide investigation follows a well trodden path. First, the police try not to let the public know there is a serial killer out there. If they get lucky, there will be only a small paragraph in the local paper and within a short time, everyone will forget about the murder. Then, hopefully the killer will move to another jurisdiction. If he doesn’t stop killing in your jurisdiction, just keep denying that the string of murders in your community are linked.”

Read much more here: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...ths/index.html

I have a feeling that nothing more is going to be made public and people will just forget about Genn. Until the next time something happens. :banghead:

Truth,

Thanks so much for the information. Very informative. I share your feelings about this case.

Jan,
I agree with you. We may never know. Sad but probably true.

-- Rainy

It would be nice to have a thread dedicated solely to crimes in Atlantic Canada.That way we could zero in on crimes specific to this area and see if there are any patterns that may come up in the future? Just a thought since there seem to be a few of us on here from that area......? :)

"This is very unfortunate stuff" is offensive to me. These people are not stuff.

I happened to making snowflakes (of all things) with the gkids today...using craft sticks. The box read 'Sticks - Batons'. Now I know that 'baton' is French...investigated the box further...Made in Canada - Fabrique' au Canada!

I thought of Gen. :) Like most days.
I'll prob always think of Genevieve Mary Cormier that way...:)

Pat Brown THINKS she's the authority on Serial Killers. I'd like to hear her answer on how many SKs were caught by using a profile as opposed to creating the profile post conviction. Research suggests none, although I'm not sure if anyone has factually proven this.

According to the FBI, a Serial Killer is now defined as "a person who commits 2 or more murders in separate events".

IMO, this was modified to detract from the mystique of being labeled a Serial Killer.

Pat Brown THINKS she's the authority on Serial Killers. I'd like to hear her answer on how many SKs were caught by using a profile as opposed to creating the profile post conviction. Research suggests none, although I'm not sure if anyone has factually proven this.
Nah, I don't feel Pat Brown thinks she's the authority on serial killers. Her much appreciated article also included the following quote:

"Profiles are the stuff television shows are made of. Profilers have become half psychic/half deductive beings that come up with the most amazing things to narrow down the leads. I wish I had the ability to tell that the killer has a stutter from just looking at the crime scene. Most real world profiles as they have been done in the past merely use inductive reasoning to give probabilities based on prior research in the field. Not only is this rather useless for a particular crime, but the conclusions are based on killers who were caught and clearly dont take into account the type that doesnt make those same mistakes. In other words, to base a profile on guesswork instead of crime scene analysis is of questionable benefit."
Read more: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/profiling/s_k_myths/6.html

According to the FBI, a Serial Killer is now defined as "a person who commits 2 or more murders in separate events".

IMO, this was modified to detract from the mystique of being labeled a Serial Killer.
BBM, Okay--we are currently up to three, occurring at pretty much six month intervals.

Justice for Genevieve!
s43pg6.gif

And may that justice bring justice for Shelby and Yeonhee!

I have a feeling that nothing more is going to be made public and people will just forget about Genn. Until the next time something happens. :banghead:
Agreed. And maybe the next time after that. Remember the Pickton murders in BC. They will never know for sure how many he murdered, iirc.

Globe and Mail | Key dates in the Pickton case

1998: Another sudden increase. Vancouver police review files of missing women going back to 1971, say they do not believe a serial killer is behind the disappearances.
Read More: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/key-dates-in-the-pickton-case/article6504398/

"This is very unfortunate stuff" is offensive to me. These people are not stuff.
Yes, very cold. That's a me, me, pat me on the back article. :cow:

I would hope that the disappearence of women would be more noticeable in Saint Joh than Vancouver. Vancouver is a huge city with large drug/prostitution/crime rates compared to Saint John. Depending on who the victims were, it would be likely (sadly) that they would not even have been reported missing in some of the cases. The three women that went missing and turned up in the Harbour had families that reported them missing and that were hoping and praying that they would be found. In Genevieve's case the entire city was hoping for her safe return. I hope that the public and families put pressure on the police to ensure that nothing criminal happened. But I'm worried that the lack of news will mean that people will forget......What we need is journalist who will bring these women's deaths back into the spotlight!!

I would hope that the disappearence of women would be more noticeable in Saint Joh than Vancouver. Vancouver is a huge city with large drug/prostitution/crime rates compared to Saint John. Depending on who the victims were, it would be likely (sadly) that they would not even have been reported missing in some of the cases. The three women that went missing and turned up in the Harbour had families that reported them missing and that were hoping and praying that they would be found. In Genevieve's case the entire city was hoping for her safe return. I hope that the public and families put pressure on the police to ensure that nothing criminal happened. But I'm worried that the lack of news will mean that people will forget......What we need is journalist who will bring these women's deaths back into the spotlight!!
My point was that law enforcement in Vancouver denied the existence of a serial killer from 1971 until 2002.

During that time period, there were repeated attempts to make officials aware that women were going missing in alarming numbers.

Pickton's choice in victims may be described as women from the wrong side of the tracks, but they were still human beings who lived and breathed; who loved; and who suffered.

They deserved justice; and many of them were dearly missed by their loved ones. Many of those loved ones spent many hours searching for them; and I am sure hoped and prayed for their safe return.

In any city--big or small--the bodies of three women floating to shore after mysteriously going missing, all within a year--should make headlines.

Not just be termed as 'suicides,' and forgotten.

The 'journalists' in New Brunswick covering crime, print and say what they are told to print and say.

We will get no help from them. MOO

I didn't mean to imply that those women were not human. That case is horrible and even moreso because the later deaths could have been preventied..I was merely suggesting that the disappearence of any women in a smaller city like Saint John should be more noticeable...Unless the police know more about these disappearances then we do (IE proof beyond any doubt that they were suicides) then they should be investigating and ensuring that justice is served. I wonder too if the Oland arrest (after more than two years) is taking all of the forces attention?? :twocents:

I'm normally a lurker but just have to say that I too do not believe that Genn committed suicide. Her actions prior to her disappearance don't add up to someone so depressed that they felt there was only one way out of the pain. I'm not an expert but I would think that her going out to hang with her friends and spend the night away from home point away from someone depressed to the point of suicide. The conversation with her Dad about the job interview on Monday sounds like a normal conversation and as if she was looking forward to that activity. The text about doing laundry and being tired sounds like a young girl that had stayed up late with her friend(s) and wanted to rest up before doing anything more. I suffer from depression and I know that when i'm in that mode I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want to go out and hang out with friends, don't want to make dinner (like she did the night before); pretty much just want to be left alone with my thoughts and just sleep. I have attended many groups with people that suffer with the same ailment and can say that all of them who did share, felt exactly the same way that I do. I do not see anything relating to depression and suicide in any of Genn's behaviors of that day. None of this makes any sense. Something horrible happened to her; this was not a suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back