Canada - Glenda Tedball, 16, Thedford, Ont, 31 Oct 1967

Discussion in '1960's Missing' started by Richard, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Richard

Richard New Member

Glenda Tedball
    Missing since October 31, 1967 from Thedford, Ontario, Canada.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: 1951
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old

Circumstances of Disappearance

Tedball was last seen when she left her residence heading for the back of the property and was seen by a neighbour. She has not been seen or heard from since. She lived with her mother and her companion and with her siblings near the village of Thedford north-west of London. She went to the local high school and has been described as very shy.

In September 1999, police charged Edward Graton, a 66-year-old London man, with culpable murder in this case. Since the arrest, investigators have had the foundations of the old farmhouse where Glenda Tedball lived, dug up. The house itself burned to the ground several years ago. Glenda has never been found.

Edward Gratton confessed to police that Glenda Tedball's death was caused by a home abortion carried out by her mother. She bled to death in the basement of her remote country home as Gratton held her down by the shoulders and her mother performed an abortion with a coat hanger.

Gratton helped tie Glenda's wrists and ankles to a cot in the basement and when she struggled as she bled, he held her down, putting a gag in her mouth.

Although Gratton told police the teenager was buried under the farmhouse, a recent excavation failed to turn up her remains.

In 2000, Gratton began two years of a community sentence to pay for his crime. Glenda's mother Norma Poore died in 1999.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ontario Provincial Police
    519-686-2552

Source Information:
    Ontario Provincial Police
    The Doe Network: Case File 553DFON

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/553dfon.html

2. Loading...

3. Richard

Richard New Member

Bumping case up. She was actually only 16 not 17 as stated in the thread title.

It will be 42 years this Halloween that Glenda disappeared. It would appear that the case was solved ten years ago when the Mounties got their man and he confessed. But was it a true confession, or just a story to involve and villify others?

Good to see that he has paid for Glenda's death with two years of communtity service. That ought to be a lesson for anyone who thinks about committing a crime in Canada.

At this time, Glenda is still missing.

4. alknon

alknon Former Member

Attached Files:

5. Richard

Richard New Member

Bumping case up. 45 years have passed...

6. airplanelamp

airplanelamp New Member

I am pretty local to this case, although its before my time.

IRC the story was that Glenda stayed home from school sick and siblings went to school. About noon, Glenda went for a walk in the woods and was never seen again.

About 15 years ago (1998 or 99 I think) the case was in the media again. The OPP and the London City Police had a joint task force called "Project Angel". They were re-opening/re-examining several unsolved disappearances and murders that were historic. Glenda's case was one of them.

If I remember correctly, Glenda's mother was still alive at this point and was re-interviewed by police on what was literally her death bed. SHE confessed to the abortion and subsequent death of Glenda. She then died. Gratton then confessed shortly thereafter, confirming the mother's story.

Based on that info, I think its pretty likely that the abortion story is true and that its just a matter of locating Glenda's body. This is all from my recollection but I will see if I can find MSM links (although with the time frame I think it might be hard to do).

7. airplanelamp

airplanelamp New Member

Here is a link into which someone has c&p several of the old London Free Press articles about Glenda from the Project Angel time period. I am copying one in and linking.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/alt.true-crime/zfy6wt5ic7M

8. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

50 years ago this month. To me, Gratton's "yarn" seems to raise more questions than it answers.