CANADA Canada - Jolene Riendeau, 10, Point St Charles, QC, 12 April 1999

Not only that, but what about other girls in the area?

If we knew who he previously assaulted (eg: the 4 year old girl) then we might be able to figure out if he knew the family in some way shape or form. Perhaps he was only thought to be predatory towards those he actually knew.

Perhaps he was only thought to be predatory towards those he actually knew.

Still sounds a bit risky to me. Not saying you aren't right, I just couldn't imagine finding out that I was possibly introducing potential victims to a murderer that I did not know was in my circle of friends, a neighbor or a member of my family.

Still sounds a bit risky to me. Not saying you aren't right, I just couldn't imagine finding out that I was possibly introducing potential victims to a murderer that I did not know was in my circle of friends, a neighbor or a member of my family.

I definitely agree with what you're saying here... I'm just trying to come up with some sort of justification as to why police didn't tell the family immediately when Jolene's remains were located!? Its maddening to me! I don't think that I CAN justify this!! I'm very curious to know why police proceeded secretly, and conducted all their tests on the remains, and investigation of the place where the remains were found without even letting on to the parents!?!?!

I wonder if the parents now know who police arrested and let go in this matter?

I definitely agree with what you're saying here... I'm just trying to come up with some sort of justification as to why police didn't tell the family immediately when Jolene's remains were located!? Its maddening to me! I don't think that I CAN justify this!! I'm very curious to know why police proceeded secretly, and conducted all their tests on the remains, and investigation of the place where the remains were found without even letting on to the parents!?!?!
I wonder if the parents now know who police arrested and let go in this matter?

You dont like the answer LE has given to explain the delay?

First, the remains were so messed up they didnt know if it was human at first and it took a month to identify her... and then they were moving forward with clues found at the scene and the investigation hoping to bring the killer to justice.

Makes sense to me... She has been gone for 12 years. what is a few months of delay for the chance to bring complete closure.

You dont like the answer LE has given to explain the delay?

First, the remains were so messed up they didnt know if it was human at first and it took a month to identify her... and then they were moving forward with clues found at the scene and the investigation hoping to bring the killer to justice.

Makes sense to me... She has been gone for 12 years. what is a few months of delay for the chance to bring complete closure.

I wonder how the parents and siblings feel about not being told for so many months, when it it they who were left sitting in wait, wondering over the fate of their loved one?

I understand that the police are hoping to bring someone to justice based on the trail they are/were following. I do. The explanation makes sense, but I can't say that I agree with their decision to withold info from the family in light of what we've been told thus far. Perhaps I'll feel differently when more of the evidence is made public (if that happens), and if/when someone stands trial and is convicted based on their decision. Until then though, their decision to withold the information even from the family has made me more curious as to what they believe happened, and regarding who they believe is responsible for the crime.

I wonder how the parents and siblings feel about not being told for so many months, when it it they who were left sitting in wait, wondering over the fate of their loved one?

I understand that the police are hoping to bring someone to justice based on the trail they are/were following. I do. The explanation makes sense, but I can't say that I agree with their decision to withold info from the family in light of what we've been told thus far. Perhaps I'll feel differently when more of the evidence is made public (if that happens), and if/when someone stands trial and is convicted based on their decision. Until then though, their decision to withold the information even from the family has made me more curious as to what they believe happened, and regarding who they believe is responsible for the crime.

True, I can definitely understand that point of view... especially since so far all that waiting came up with no arrest!

I haven't really kept up with has been happening in the last 12 years and my memory is fuzzy about when Jolène disappeared but wasn't the father extremely active? distributing thousands upon thousands of flyers, accepting all media requests and going way above what LE wanted. Hopefully someone can confirm or correct me but I seem to recall some tension between LE & the family at the time.

So that may have played into it too with LE afraid the media circus would be back on, constant news reports and publicity while they tried to finish their investigation and build their case.

"(It) was also a bit frustrating for the family, when they found out that they had recovered the body in September.

"But the detectives also explained the reasons why."

Arcamone says investigators said they didn't know how long ago the body had been placed below the bridge and didn't want to destroy any evidence that might still have been on the remains.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/121505934.html

I don't understand this. How could telling the family have destroyed any evidence on the remains?

This article (in French) on Canoe.ca was posted this morning:

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2011/05/20110513-073923.html

My translation:
Did Jolène Riendeau know her murderer?

The man interrogated by Montreal police in regard to Jolène Riendeau's murder was previously convicted for acts on his own children.

According to info obtained by Claude Poirier, the 47 years old individual who was interrogated for 12 hours by policemen before being let go last Saturday was known to the Riendeau family.

Even if he was let go, the individual is still suspect number one in this case

{snipped. rest of article gave details of upcoming funeral}

How did poor Jolene's remains get under the bridge?

I don't think she would have been thrown off the bridge, as the bridge has heavy traffic and no shoulder for a car to pull over onto.

The only way to approach the underside of the bridge appears to be via the bike path on the south side of the bridge. (Access from the north side looks unlikely, since the area is blocked by various road exit ramps, fences and railway tracks. )

The bicycle path looks wide enough for a vehicle to drive on it, however a car driving along it would stand out to any bicyclists or walkers. Part of the path can also be seen by cars driving in the south lane of the bridge.

Could the perp have cycled there or walked there? That's a bit of a hike, carrying Jolene's body from the nearest place to park a car -- it looks like it would be 400 - 500 metres.

The police said that once the body was found it was clear that it was a homicide and there was some evidence that led to the suspect. If it were just loose bones that were found what would that evidence be? Likely the remains were carried and concealed in something, which then made it clear that it was a homicide and could possibly provide evidence from the perp.

It's unbelievable to think that Jolene's remains were there the entire time. I wonder if they were. :(

All just thoughts rolling around in my head. I sure hope they nail the perpetrator and that LE has good reason to keep much of the evidence confidential.

Jolène Riendeau funeral honours slain Montreal girl

Priest who baptized 10-year-old presides over services

Among those at Jolène's funeral were Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, who became a victims rights activist after his daughter was murdered about a decade ago in Quebec's Eastern Townships.

Relatives of missing Quebec girl Cédrika Provencher also joined mourners at the Riendeau funeral. Provencher is the nine-year-old who went missing from near her Trois-Rivières home four years ago.

Retired Montreal homicide detectives who worked on the Riendeau case also attended her funeral.

After the service, the family released 10 white doves. Costs of the funeral are being covered by someone not related to the family who was touched by the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/05/13/montreal-jolene-riendeau-funeral.html

li-joline-funeral-620.jpg

Jolene Riendeau murder case: Standing ovation for mother at little girl's funeral

Global Montreal: Friday, May 13, 2011 10:40 AM

Dolores Soucy, the mother of Jolene Riendeau, received a standing ovation at her daughter’s funeral on Friday.

The applause came after Dolores read a poem about the rights of children.

The grieving mother said she spoke on behalf of parents of all missing kids, and urged for changes in legislation to better protect children.

Inside the church, an urn was placed at the front, next to a framed photo of Jolene, which was surrounded by flowers.

Joanne Soucy, Jolene Riendeau’s aunt, told mourners that the family never gave up hope.

She also gave thanks to Montreal police Inspector Bergeron who “always treated Jolene’s case as if it was his only one,” at which time, the church erupted into applause.
4779109.bin

http://www.globalregina.com/Jolene+...mother+little+girl+funeral/4771985/story.html

This article (in French) on Canoe.ca was posted this morning:

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2011/05/20110513-073923.html

My translation:

My translation:
Quote:
Did Jolène Riendeau know her murderer?

The man interrogated by Montreal police in regard to Jolène Riendeau's murder was previously convicted for acts on his own children.

According to info obtained by Claude Poirier, the 47 years old individual who was interrogated for 12 hours by policemen before being let go last Saturday was known to the Riendeau family.

Even if he was let go, the individual is still suspect number one in this case

{snipped. rest of article gave details of upcoming funeral}

BBM: Acts on HIS OWN CHILDREN? :furious:

WTH??

LE must not have his DNA on Jolene's remains.

I still wonder, what sort of tests would have led LE to this main suspect? Could it have something to do with his occupation? Some sort of residue found on her remains? What type of tests? Really perplexing.

So many missing and murdered childrens' parents are supporting each other, through Jolene's case. :(

Funerals are a time for closure, but not for Dolores Soucy.

The mother of Jolène Riendeau, dressed in black and speaking with a raspy voice, pledged during her daughter's funeral in Point St. Charles on Friday that she will continue to work in support of other parents of missing children - and she called on others to do the same.

"In the name of all the parents of children who have disappeared, you see me today; you are going to see me," Soucy said to applause from the hundreds gathered inside Paroisse St. Charles on Centre St.

The church can easily seat 1,500 and the pews were almost full by the time the ceremony began.

In attendance were Martin Provencher, the father of Cédrika Provencher, a 9-yearold girl who went missing in Trois Rivières in 2007, and Michel Surprenant, the father of Julie Surprenant, who in 1999 disappeared at age 16 near her home in Terrebonne.

4783294.bin

Among those in attendance: Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu (right), whose daughter, Julie Boisvenu, was kidnapped, raped and killed in June 2002.

Photograph by: ALLEN MCINNIS THE GAZETTE, The Gazette

I am not familiar with Julie Surprenant's case, but, I do wonder about the timing of her case being re-opened in January 2011, given it had been considered cold, and given the remains now recovered of little Jolene.

Police back on Julie Surprenant case

16-year-old girl vanished in 1999

By Jan Ravensbergen, The Gazette January 19, 2011

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...prenant+case/4126994/story.html#ixzz1MMyqMPxw
Aug. 13, 2001: The agony of an unsolved crime

By PAUL CHERRY; JOHN MEAGHER, Montreal Gazette May 4, 2011

This story was published Aug. 13, 2001.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/2001+agony+unsolved+crime/4725810/story.html

Now this false confession was the ultimate cruelty to Jolene's parents (from the 2001 article above, recently re-released).

The latest development to get Soucy's hopes up, only to see them come crashing down again, seems particularly cruel. In the aftermath of a disturbing trial that saw him sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering Alexandre Livernoche - a 13-year-old Sorel boy missing for days before his body was found buried in a sandpit near his home - convict Mario Bastien told a Surete du Quebec officer that he could provide information about Jolene's disappearance.

It turned out that during the days of intense searching after Jolene's disappearance, Bastien, who then lived on the South Shore, had pestered the MUC police with bogus information - just as he had done while police and volunteers combed through Sorel when Alexandre went missing.

But a crime tabloid recently reported that the two-day interrogation of Bastien over Jolene's disappearance proved to be a waste of time and that the murderer and sex offender appeared simply to have been trying to delay his transfer to a federal prison, where inmates tend to despise child killers and pedophiles.

"It was all a fabrication to win some time," Soucy said. "He used my daughter's name to buy time and I'm still looking for my daughter after 27 months. No one wants to find their kids dead, but I had a hope of maybe finding her through Bastien. It turned out to be all lies."

Maybe someone familiar with Quebec could confirm I have this correct.

Jolen Riendeau went missing from Montmorency St. in Montreal, 1999.

Julie Suprenant went missing from Ile Saint-Jean, Terrebonne, 1999.

These 2 locations are 35 minutes apart.

I am not exactly sure where the Champlain Bridge falls on this map?

ETA: Champlain Bridge is South-East of Jolene's home, labelled Port Champlain in Yellow on the map (going across the water).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rue+de+Montmorency,+Montr%C3%A9al,+Qu%C3%A9bec&daddr=%C3%8Ele+Saint-Jean,+Terrebonne,+QC&geocode=FQEMtgIdV4-d-ylvr7oKiBrJTDGsEvLwQLox3w%3BFYI6uQIdOjKc-ykVRhADWt7ITDH2bwK7AHDj4A&gl=ca&hl=en&mra=pr&sll=45.925075,-73.124515&sspn=0.924703,2.655945&ie=UTF8&ll=45.624603,-73.560333&spn=0.232422,0.663986&z=11

I can understand not saying anything if it could possibly damage the case in some way. This makes me wonder if LE had a strong feeling that it was someone the family knew or a member of the family. I would also wonder if the family was aware of this person's past history (if it turns out to be the suspect that was released)?

Such a sad case. I hope Jolene's parents get the closure they need.

I am going to have to read up on the Julie Suprenant case. I wonder if more will surface as things progress.

In a world that can seem to be filled with wicked people doing evil things, it is great to know that there are far more kind and decent people who do things like this..

In a news release issued Tuesday afternoon, Montreal police said six anonymous donors had, through the Sun Youth Organization, posted a reward of up to $30,000 leading to the arrest and conviction of the girl's killer or killers.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...deau+slaying/4832753/story.html#ixzz1NlE8lnJL

Maybe someone familiar with Quebec could confirm I have this correct.

Jolen Riendeau went missing from Montmorency St. in Montreal, 1999.

Julie Suprenant went missing from Ile Saint-Jean, Terrebonne, 1999.

These 2 locations are 35 minutes apart.

I am not exactly sure where the Champlain Bridge falls on this map?

ETA: Champlain Bridge is South-East of Jolene's home, labelled Port Champlain in Yellow on the map (going across the water).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rue+de+Montmorency,+Montr%C3%A9al,+Qu%C3%A9bec&daddr=%C3%8Ele+Saint-Jean,+Terrebonne,+QC&geocode=FQEMtgIdV4-d-ylvr7oKiBrJTDGsEvLwQLox3w%3BFYI6uQIdOjKc-ykVRhADWt7ITDH2bwK7AHDj4A&gl=ca&hl=en&mra=pr&sll=45.925075,-73.124515&sspn=0.924703,2.655945&ie=UTF8&ll=45.624603,-73.560333&spn=0.232422,0.663986&z=11

As you mentioned, Champlain Bridge is quite close to Point St. Charles but nowhere near Terrebonne.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back