Found Deceased Canada - Justin Evans, 22, Gravenhurst, Ont, 12 Dec 2020

In regards to kens false statement
““The accused’s misleading statement had influenced the decision not to prioritize this area for an underwater search earlier in the investigation,” Jeanes explained, adding it “informed the speed, direction and flow of the investigation.””
IMO these police SHOULD have searched anyways. NEWSFLASH people lie.

In regards to lucas and ken’s pointing to him
““Police have since determined that the person who died, the neighbour, likely did not have any involvement in Justin Evans’ disappearance,” Jeanes said.”

I always wondered about ken and his temper and capability. What do the rest of you think? We’ve heard about his drunken violence before in “it’s a crime

I find it odd that Ken felt the need to establish an alibi. Why would he need an alibi if he had nothing to do with Justin's death? I mean "if" Justin committed suicide :rolleyes: and "if" no one knew Justin committed suicide until after his remains were found, why did Ken think it important to create an alibi? Because of a 4-day bender? o_O I mean...at that point in the investigation, it could have been that Justin just walked away. Why a false alibi? :confused:

SBBM

Devon (Bud) McKinney, Evans’ best friend, was "distraught" when he told police his grandfather instructed him to lie about his whereabouts the day Evans was last seen, and to say his grandfather had accompanied him and his girlfriend on a shopping trip to Barrie, Jeanes said.

The court heard McKinney, a lifelong alcoholic, lied because he was ashamed he had been on a “four-day bender.”

How did I miss this case? I don't have time to look into it right now, but I definitely want to.
Thank you to all who have been contributing. There seems like lots of good info here.

Do I understand it correctly...that LE says no foul play, yet family members, and possibly others, aren't buying it?

From link, thank you.. rbbm.
''On Dec. 20, McKinney’s grandson, Devon (Bud) McKinney, Evans’ best friend, was "distraught" when he told police his grandfather instructed him to lie about his whereabouts the day Evans was last seen, and to say his grandfather had accompanied him and his girlfriend on a shopping trip to Barrie, Jeanes said.

When police checked surveillance footage from the mall, they confirmed McKinney was not there, she added.

The court heard McKinney, a lifelong alcoholic, lied because he was ashamed he had been on a “four-day bender.”

“The accused’s misleading statement had influenced the decision not to prioritize this area for an underwater search earlier in the investigation,” Jeanes explained, adding it “informed the speed, direction and flow of the investigation.”

More than once, the court heard police exhausted countless hours and resources as a result of McKinney’s false statement
. With a criminal record that dates back to 1969, Jeanes said McKinney is “no stranger to the criminal justice system” and understood his rights and responsibilities when speaking to police.''

Of course we aren't being told the whole story here, but why would the grandfather saying he went shopping that day significantly impact the search?? According to that article, it seems like they checked security footage and figured it out pretty early on, and it caused them to focus on MK as a suspect at first. So, when they thought foul play was a possibility, they just...didn't feel the need to search as closely? I would have searched the nearby areas even more closely for places where an older man could dispose of a body!
Also, an underwater search wasn't required to find Justin. He was found mostly on land, with his head and neck being in the swamp, I believe. It sounds a bit like PD is trying to blame the inadequate search on MK and his lie. One theory or one potential suspect shouldn't be enough to derail their whole investigation like they're implying.

Another excellent video.

Imo, the original detectives on this case should not have been allowed to remain as investigators once JE's death was ruled a suicide by LE with every logical reason to believe it was not. Even the medical examiners office cannot go along with such a statement by LE.

It's not too late. It should now be turned over to different police agency altogether imo due to poor senior leadership.

Fwiw, there are prior theft charges against someone in the household who is also known to lie. Imo, it all began with someone being called out for theft against JE.

Hopefully we can discuss.
Highlights of the video/new relevations, with timestamps.
-meeting between Justin's mother and OPP was supposed to happen in September but it got delayed all the way til January (1:00)
-investigators admit they didn't search the water where Justin was found (1:40). Det Insp Watson said they didn't search because the swamp was frozen over (2:54), though this has been contested. Another detective said he did search the swamp but on the OPPOSITE side than Justin was found (3:45)
-confirmation there was no blood trail and no blood on the door handle (to the shed, I'm assuming) (~2:00)
-Det Watson also believed that MK couldn't have carried Justin to the swamp, so it was overlooked. At the time they weren't considering he could have had help (5:15)
-Because dogs hit on an area right outside the shed, a theory was Justin was moved into a vehicle (7:23)
-the detective wasn't suspicious of Bud because they were 'best friends' (11:34)
-confirmation that nothing forensically links Justin and Lucas, the neighbor who committed suicide (13:05).
-Lucas, on the recording, said "a darkness took over" (13:29)
-the X-acto knife was 6feet from the body, yet was not located on the same day as the body (14:35)
-Bud told family that there were tracks from the shed to Lucas's trailer (15:52). Reminder it only snowed on Monday, after Justin was apparently last seen.
-OPP searched Justin's room and did not find a phone. When family went through the room, they found an old phone between the wall and the bed (17:40)
-detectives were NOT aware about the Audible account/GPS coordinates/Google searches. Family had informed them through their LE liaison except the liaison ghosted them. (18:40)
-one of Justin's wireless earbuds was found in the shed (20:08)
-there was blood on a motorcycle kept in the shed. Family doesn't believe the motorcycle was removed and looked into (20:28)
-despite KM being a suspect early on, the keys to the shed were given to him (20:42)
-KM has a son, Ken Jr, who is the father of an OPP officer (21:10)

Hopefully we can discuss.
Highlights of the video/new relevations, with timestamps.
-meeting between Justin's mother and OPP was supposed to happen in September but it got delayed all the way til January (1:00)
-investigators admit they didn't search the water where Justin was found (1:40). Det Insp Watson said they didn't search because the swamp was frozen over (2:54), though this has been contested. Another detective said he did search the swamp but on the OPPOSITE side than Justin was found (3:45)
-confirmation there was no blood trail and no blood on the door handle (to the shed, I'm assuming) (~2:00)
-Det Watson also believed that MK couldn't have carried Justin to the swamp, so it was overlooked. At the time they weren't considering he could have had help (5:15)
-Because dogs hit on an area right outside the shed, a theory was Justin was moved into a vehicle (7:23)
-the detective wasn't suspicious of Bud because they were 'best friends' (11:34)
-confirmation that nothing forensically links Justin and Lucas, the neighbor who committed suicide (13:05).
-Lucas, on the recording, said "a darkness took over" (13:29)
-the X-acto knife was 6feet from the body, yet was not located on the same day as the body (14:35)
-Bud told family that there were tracks from the shed to Lucas's trailer (15:52). Reminder it only snowed on Monday, after Justin was apparently last seen.
-OPP searched Justin's room and did not find a phone. When family went through the room, they found an old phone between the wall and the bed (17:40)
-detectives were NOT aware about the Audible account/GPS coordinates/Google searches. Family had informed them through their LE liaison except the liaison ghosted them. (18:40)
-one of Justin's wireless earbuds was found in the shed (20:08)
-there was blood on a motorcycle kept in the shed. Family doesn't believe the motorcycle was removed and looked into (20:28)
-despite KM being a suspect early on, the keys to the shed were given to him (20:42)
-KM has a son, Ken Jr, who is the father of an OPP officer (21:10)

Imo, a family member of a LEO that committed or is suspected of committing a heinous crime, especially someone that has been a LEO for a lengthy period of time would not reflect on the LEO.

Maybe that's not so in the minds of others? Maybe the LEO would be drawn in by having to answer questions etc and or does not want this to reflect or be associated in any way with their career? Idk. Is this why the OPP have been dancing the family around for so long? Extremely interesting part of the case though as all that has happened in my mind is this is playing a role behind the scenes.

There is something in this article that has been nagging at me.

I'm not an expert or trained in the forensics of a decomposing body, but I believe part of the science behind decomp is if there is a wound on the body of someone that is deceased, that part of the body will decompose faster than areas that do not have a wound.

So if JE's head an neck area had more decomp than the rest if his body, does that point to trauma or a wound?

Did the advanced state of decomp to the head and neck area prevent the coroner from fully determining what happened?

Is this why the coroner disagrees with LE on what happened to JE?

Does the family know from the coroner what their findings or opinion is?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back