GUILTY Canada - Karissa Boudreau, 12, Bridgewater, NS, 27 Jan 2008

How devastating for Karissa's family. Their Valentine's Day will never be the same again. :(
Kudos to LE for getting their suspects in custody so quickly. Hopefully they've found the right people so that the family may work toward closure and not have to worry about these people remaining on the streets.

I am glad there have been quick arrests in this case, and I hope justice will prevail.

Mom reported Karissa left the car from a grocery store parking lot, wearing only light clothing. Karissa was found two weeks later, near another parking lot, on a river bank. If I understand correctly, police aren't yet sure if she was dumped or came downriver and was forced onto the bank by floating ice.

It's really strange to me that a 12 year old would #1. be wearing nothing but light clothes to go grocery shopping with her mom. #2. get out of a car wearing nothing but light clothes in snowy, freezing weather. #3. be picked up immediately by someone up to no good. (It's a calm, safe area.)

The two people who were arrested were left publically unidentified, except to say that Karissa knew both of them. They've since been released: they were held for 24 hours on no charges, and apparently not enough evidence was found in the meantime to actually charge them with anything regarding Karissa's disappearance and murder.

Meanwhile, police are searching the home of the mom and step-dad.

Does anyone else see this going in the same direction I see?

I'm smelling Susan Smith.

kgeaux,

Any links to them searching the home? I had not heard that.

I really hope the parents didn't have anything to do with this. But these days, nothing surprizes me.

For Karissa, who's life was cut far too short, prayers for your peace. You will know no more violence.

I will post an update in a few seconds... having difficulty loading some web sites at the moment.

Update: Cops search mom's apartment

The tragic death of Karissa Boudreau remains, for the time being, unsolved. On Friday morning, police released the two people arrested in the 12-year-old’s death.

Police won’t identify the pair, but witnesses said officers searched the apartment of Penny Boudreau, mother of the 12-year-old victim, and her boyfriend Vernon Macumber while the unidentified suspects were in custody.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1038217.html

I really hope the family are not involved! That would make this case even more horrible and sad.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1038332.html

Police arrested two people Thursday in the death of the 12-year-old Bridgewater girl but released them Friday without laying any charges. By law, an arrested person can’t be held for more than 24 hours unless charges are laid.
"They’ve been arrested, questioned and released," RCMP Const. Grant Webber said. But, he said, "they’re still part of the investigation."Karissa Paige Boudreau, 12, missing 1/27/08 from Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
Police refused to release the sex or ages of the two people.
"All we’re saying is, these people certainly would’ve been known to Karissa and that’s about as much as we can say," said Sgt. Mark Gallagher, a provincial RCMP spokesman.
Investigators had previously spoken to the two but they "probably didn’t see themselves as suspects at the time, but as the investigation carried on, it obviously turned around."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the things that troubling me:

1. Lack of winter clothing Karissa was supposedly wearing.
2. Why stop to pick-up a coffee & a drink - 1 km from home
3. Karissa didn't have her cell phone with her.
4. Mother works at a competing grocery store (Sobeys) yet stops at the
Superstore.
5. Store closes at 5:00 she knew that,yet chose to go in about 5:20. It is
common knowledge when you work at a grocery store, you are not
pleased when customers enter the store after closing as you want to

go home, it is very inconsiderate.

6. When the mother came out and found her gone, wouldn't she assume

she may have gone into the store for something or to look for her?

7. Why not stop at a gas station or convenience store?
8. Surveillance tape shows the mother getting out of the car and going in,
but not Karissa leaving the car.
9. Although the mother drove around for 3 hours looking for her, did she

phone any of her friends?
10. When was the last time, Karissa talked to any of her friends?
11. When a body was found on Sat. and it was stated the body would not

be ID'ed until Wed. which then turned out to be Thurs., why wouldn't

she volunteer to make an ID? As hard as that may be to do as a
mother, it would easier to do that then wait 4 days, which turned into

5 days.

Also from today's paper:
"Passersby found Karissa’s body under snow just before noon last Saturday about halfway between the icy waters of the LaHave River and a turnaround area on Highway 331, the road from Bridgewater to Conquerall Bank. RCMP investigators were briefly back at the site Friday afternoon to take a measurement over the side of the bank." :eek: This turn around site is within walking distance from Karissa house. Someone dumped her over the bank from that turnaround site like a bag of garbage...it is just heartbreaking.

Yes this case is reminding me of Susan Smith and of Madeleine McCann as well (small window of opportunity)... and the fundraising.

Mom reported Karissa left the car from a grocery store parking lot, wearing only light clothing. Karissa was found two weeks later, near another parking lot, on a river bank. If I understand correctly, police aren't yet sure if she was dumped or came downriver and was forced onto the bank by floating ice.

It's really strange to me that a 12 year old would #1. be wearing nothing but light clothes to go grocery shopping with her mom. #2. get out of a car wearing nothing but light clothes in snowy, freezing weather. #3. be picked up immediately by someone up to no good. (It's a calm, safe area.)

The two people who were arrested were left publically unidentified, except to say that Karissa knew both of them. They've since been released: they were held for 24 hours on no charges, and apparently not enough evidence was found in the meantime to actually charge them with anything regarding Karissa's disappearance and murder.

Meanwhile, police are searching the home of the mom and step-dad.

Does anyone else see this going in the same direction I see?

I'm smelling Susan Smith.

*nods* I think I do... I kind of pondered a family involvement from the on-set... the description of her last being seen sounds fishy. Maybe something happened, they dumped her wearing little clothing, in an attempt to make it look like she died of winter exposure?

Looks like the boyfriend has some violence in his past.

"But Mr. Pegg knows about the time in June 2004 when Mr. Macumber, who also used to live in New Ross, head-butted a police officer and split his lip.
Mr. Macumber was battling deep depression at the time and threatening to kill himself. When Chester RCMP finally got him to hospital, he struck one Mountie in the face with his head.
"I am very sorry about what happened and I accept responsibility for that," Mr. Macumber, then 41, said at his October 2004 sentencing hearing in Bridgewater provincial court.
When the Mounties were called to Mr. Macumber’s home on the Forties Road, there were reports he may have had a rifle and was threatening to hurt himself. He voluntarily left his house when police arrived, but his mood changed as he was being taken to South Shore Regional Hospital in Bridgewater in a police car."

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1038348.htm

Karissa's remains are being turned over to her biological father,and will be buried where he lives in Barrington,Nova Scotia.This story also states she had just recently moved in with her mother & her boyfriend.

I agree it is probably the mother & the boyfriend who are rsponsible for this.The one thing about the Canadian police they do not reveal anything until a trial begins,we will only know when & if they are arrested for her murder.My prayers go out to her dad and his family.

LINK

That's good news Alta in this very sad story. My prayers go out as well to her Dad, Grandmother, Aunts, Uncles, and friends. I think the police have a good handle on this case, although it may take some time...but they seem to be really looking for justice for this 12 year old.

Charges may take months

Police say they’re making progress in girl’s murder investigation
By RENEE STEVENS
Sun. Feb 17 - 4:46 AM

BRIDGEWATER — It may take months before police are able to lay charges in the murder of 12-year-old Karissa Boudreau.

Sgt. John Collyer of Bridgewater police said Saturday he understands that people are frustrated and want to see the murder solved, but investigators need time to do their job.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1038596.html

Such a beautiful child. Her poor father must feel devastated that this happened so soon after leaving him.

Hi:

I am new to Websleuths. One of the reasons I joined was to draw attention to Canadian cases as nobody seems to discuss them very much on here.

Karissa went missing from a grocery store parking lot in January and her remains were found in a snowbank. She was 12 years old. She had an argument with her mother in a Sobey's parking lot. Her mother left and when she returned Karissa was missing from the car.

Here is some links:
http://www.thestar.com/article/303669

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/02/14/boudreau-homicide.html

Welcome CC, there are links to two pages of Karissa's details at the Located threads here on the site - http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59693

I hope that works, I'm not very good technically!

Take care, and I wish you well in your crusade to get more attention to Canadian cases - The more of us who post, the merrier, and hopefully the more successful we can be!

So, are the mother and mom's bf in custody still? This makes me so sick- This mom sounds like Susan Smith to a T!! I have read that they saw mom on surveilance going into the store, and Karissa still in the car. Did it show the car and WHO could have taken her? It sounds like RCMP don't have leaks in their cases as we do here in the US- Allthough I appreciate the integrity of the case, I want more details!!

For those fellow WS'ers in Canada, maybe you can answer a small question for me as I am not familar with Canadian Law? Once charges have been brought up against these two, how long will it take for them to go to trial? Do you have the DP there? Thank you in advance and thanks for keeping us up to date on the links-

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back