Canada - Laura Babcock, 23, Toronto, 26 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarity in post #961, SL brought his link between DM and LB up again after DM was arrested - something he had first done 3 seasons prior to the arrest when LB was first missing.

IMO that would be 'allegedly' JMO MOO.....

"In 2012 Dellen Millard would have not raised anyone's interest," said Carbone when asked why Babcock's phone calls to Millard had not raised any red flags.

They did confirm, however, that phone records show Babcock was in touch with Millard on July 3, 2012.

"The investigation was thorough and employed all of the traditional methods used in any missing persons case." - Hmm, if they didn't receive/request LB's phone records at the time she was reported missing then I suggest that this statement is inaccurate. (IMO)

Carbone added that police haven't spoken to Millard about Babcock but expect to "at some point"
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/police-missing-woman-case-recently-linked-murder-suspect-162241868.html

So it may be that police are saying that they didn't receive the phone records when she was reported missing (personally I expect they did and lost/discarded them MOO) then WHY did they not request them ???!! Surely that would be one of the first lines of enquiry in a missing person's case.
They have now confirmed that the phone records are correct and legitimate and LB did have contact with DM, so the "opportunity to link them" arose when she first went missing, surely ?

Not much alleging coming from Carbone in the above article - he's using past tense not present tense. The link was clearly ignored according to all info available - no one spoke to DM at the time LB was reported missing.

Not much alleging coming from Carbone in the above article - he's using past tense not present tense. The link was clearly ignored according to all info available - no one spoke to DM at the time LB was reported missing.

I suspect that there would be CCTVs in the hotel where she was staying. Hopefully those videos where/are being reviewed. There are so many cameras downtown that hopefully some footage is still available and has not been erased. I would suspect that LE would be looking into check in and check out dates.

Video footage of some sort likely would have been available if anyone wanted to look for it back in July 2012. Dollars to doughnuts it's not around now though - jmo.

Generally the recordings are done on a hard disc drive and looped over within days. If an event such as a robbery for example occurred within the time frame that LB was there and it was saved as evidence then the possibility of a recording may exist. I've been looking for statistics on this but have yet to come up with it. So at this point it's IMO but I welcome more information on the subject.

It would appear that several factors came together at about the same time in the TPS attempt to investigate and IMO it sadly clouded the urgency.

1) People have a right to disappear. The police know that also.
2) LB was in a high risk profession. IMO that skewed the motivation of TPS
3) Based on 1&2, TPS did a cursory look, found nothing in and of itself culpable or suspicious(in their eyes)
4) There seemed to be no immediate worry /concern/push from the immediate family.
5) The bf may have come off as less credible in his exuberance to help.

Currently IMO, TPS is circling the wagons and doing damage control. I suspect it's not much fun at the moment inside the investigator's shoes and it may get much worse.
MOO

Old Today, 05:22 PM
Registered User Join Date: May 2013

It would appear that several factors came together at about the same time in the TPS attempt to investigate and IMO it sadly clouded the urgency.

1) People have a right to disappear. The police know that also.
2) LB was in a high risk profession. IMO that skewed the motivation of TPS
3) Based on 1&2, TPS did a cursory look, found nothing in and of itself culpable or suspicious(in their eyes)
4) There seemed to be no immediate worry /concern/push from the immediate family.
5) The bf may have come off as less credible in his exuberance to help.

Currently IMO, TPS is circling the wagons and doing damage control. I suspect it's not much fun at the moment inside the investigator's shoes and it may get much worse.
MOO

Totally agree with you Archangel, but it is disappointing that they deny having received the phone records from SL when PERHAPS they did. Better to be honest. That is purely speculation on my part and I don't want to cast unwarranted aspersions.

I would assume that LE has checked Customs and could check whether or not LB crossed the border into the US on her way to Las Vegas?

I would assume that LE has checked Customs and could check whether or not LB crossed the border into the US on her way to Las Vegas?

JMO but If they dug up holes in Ayr for MSM before they called Border Services for records, then I dont know what to say. Judging by Carbones presser, a lot of logical steps were missed before the diggers came out. Sad sad sad.

You would think so, but here's the reality.

If they are apathetic, semi convinced she's exercising her freedom, and/or there is no "evidence" of foul play, they wouldn't legally have solid grounds to track her movements. That's the dilemma.

Possibly with the DM case, they have found some grounds to do just what you suggest.

It just seems like they would have enough already to move forward with cross border checks, LVPD inquires, etc.
moo

And I mean logical steps missed since May of this year if they think they are dealing with the accused in a murder.

Last year, yes, I could see that LE might have figured it was nobody's business if she chose to disappear.

The down side of all this is that the CCTV gets overwritten, witness memory fades, etc., and by the time an Official Investigation begins, it is already a Cold Case.

IMO, an interesting statement-bbm

Despite being only an acquaintance of the man, Mr. Lerner contacted Mr. Millard to inquire about the string of phone calls. He says Mr. Millard refused to discuss the matter over text messages, so the two met for coffee.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...pect-dellen-millard-before-her-disappearance/

Not sure if this avenue has been discussed previously, but I just recalled having read this statement and went searching. IMO texting is such a convenient method of communicating, that is of course unless you have something to hide. From what I understand, although text messages do not appear on a phone bill, the information sent via text is still accessible if required.

Here is a wiki on the subject, and doing a brief read of it, I kind of come to the conclusion that text messages are basically a mobile to mobile and/or mobile to landline form of email, therefore can be traced back to the sender or recipient as is relevant to the situation.
I recalled originally my cell provider mentioning something along this line when I switched to blackberry as bbm messages are completely private and untraceable, not that I'm hiding anything lol. All of the above is MOO

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service"]Short Message Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

IMO, an interesting statement-bbm

Despite being only an acquaintance of the man, Mr. Lerner contacted Mr. Millard to inquire about the string of phone calls. He says Mr. Millard refused to discuss the matter over text messages, so the two met for coffee.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...pect-dellen-millard-before-her-disappearance/

Not sure if this avenue has been discussed previously, but I just recalled having read this statement and went searching. IMO texting is such a convenient method of communicating, that is of course unless you have something to hide. From what I understand, although text messages do not appear on a phone bill, the information sent via text is still accessible if required.

Although the phone numbers that text messages were sent to would be available, the actual contents of the message aren't kept in a database by most carriers. Telus keeps them for 30 days for troubleshooting.

Abella also noted that most wireless providers other than Telus do not keep a database with copies of their customers' text messages. Therefore, police targeting text messages from customers of other wireless providers would need a wiretap authorization.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/03/27/technology-telus-text-messages-scc-decision.html

In spite of that, I can understand him not wanting to tell someone who was "only an acquaintance", in writing, that he had been supplying someone with drugs, which is what SL has claimed he said.

In spite of that, I can understand him not wanting to tell someone who was "only an acquaintance", in writing, that he had been supplying someone with drugs, which is what SL has claimed he said.

He met Millard face to face to talk about Laura’s disappearence and initially, Millard denied receiving her calls.

“He finally relented and admitted that okay, it was eight calls,” Lerner said. “Then he said that Laura contacted him asking for a place to stay and asked him about drugs and he denied both of those requests.”

http://www.680news.com/2013/05/18/u...lysis-of-two-locations-in-the-tim-bosma-case/

Think SL said that DM told him that he refused LB's request for drugs.
This is what SL said as per this report. (There maybe conflicting reports, as is normal with the media in general MOO)

He met Millard face to face to talk about Laura’s disappearence and initially, Millard denied receiving her calls.

“He finally relented and admitted that okay, it was eight calls,” Lerner said. “Then he said that Laura contacted him asking for a place to stay and asked him about drugs and he denied both of those requests.”

http://www.680news.com/2013/05/18/u...lysis-of-two-locations-in-the-tim-bosma-case/

Here is one of the original videos. It may not be conflicting reports. It could possibly be both. He may have said he had been supplying her, but had denied this particular request.

JMO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video-dellen-millard-accused-of-killing-tim-bosma-investigated-in-womans-disappearance/article12012141/

Here is one of the original videos. It may not be conflicting reports. It could possibly be both. He may have said he had been supplying her, but had denied this particular request.

JMO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video-dellen-millard-accused-of-killing-tim-bosma-investigated-in-womans-disappearance/article12012141/

If he initially denied the phone calls, why should we believe that he denied that particular request LB made for drugs when he admits he had previously been supplying them to her?

Has anyone been able to determine whether LB had any tattoos &/or piercings? I've been through the postings and tried to find info on the web but I continually come up empty handed. Am I missing something blatantly obvious or has very little actually been released about LB's identifiable features?
I AM running on very little sleep, so it's quite possible I'm not reading things correctly. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member