Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

Is the possibility of a connection between Lyle and Bret too outlandish?

Have tried to find a crime a few months or so prior to this date where a description might fit with no luck. Still wondering if these 2 were hiding from something. Maybe it was something never reported?

Woodland, I don't find that idea outlandish at all!

I had come to the same conclusion, that there was a possible connection, a while ago, however I dropped it and finally looked back in on the Lyle Stevik case again over the past couple of weeks. (I had checked out the Deep River case a number of months ago, and it struck me as odd. I agree with you that this John Doe was likely traveling with someone.)

The common themes between the two cases are that both of these UID's were 'well kept' with excellent dental work, dressed fairly nicely and both had a connection to rapid weight loss. (Whatever the heck that means!) And, of course, they were close in time frame. The other possible point of connection was that Lyle was believed to have a Canadian accent.

In my post over on Lyle's thread, I theorized that perhaps the two of them were environmental activists. (Why would they be travelling near Deep River?) If they were up to illegal activities then John Doe's travelling partner would be afraid to step forward and may have removed any personal identification from John Doe, upon his unexpected death.

Why would Lyle subsequently kill himself and mask his own identity? If their planned act of environmental terrorism fell through because of John Doe's death (perhaps Lyle was very close to him -- even lovers?) and then 9/11 happened a week or so later, perhaps Lyle questioned what the heck he was doing with his life.

Another variant on this theory is that John Doe and Lyle Stevik were lured in by the 9/11 terrorists, perhaps under the guise of environmental or global trade terrorism. Perhaps they didn't want to go as far as the other terrorists wanted to.

I will admit this entire theory is a long shot, but I do think it is worth looking into a connection between these two individuals.

Why did this just creep me out?

This guy is on the RCMP's most wanted and he has similar features to the UID in this case ??

sweeney-suspect-150.jpg

sweeney-suspect-150-2.jpg

00028_Image_2_L.jpg

00028_Image_1_L.jpg

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wanted-recherches/un-non/sweeney-suspect-eng.htm

Is it the same guy??? :what:

The first 2 sketches are from the RCMP Most Wanted and the last two are from the UID in this case.

I think it's the same guy!!! Could it be? Maybe he was running from the law.....Costa Rica trip and other trips and perhaps he finally gave up and killed himself?

I think it's the same guy!!! Could it be? Maybe he was running from the law.....Costa Rica trip and other trips and perhaps he finally gave up and killed himself?

My guess its just a coincidence.

Well if it is him, he is now an unidentified murderer because they still haven't id'ed the dna of the killer. Although they do look alike, the height is way off.

Hi all,

This case is interesting, and tragic. Hopefully this man will be identified someday.

I liked Woodland's insights, linking this man to "Lyle Stevik" in Washington state.

While there is no apparent homicide here, it still is important to identify this guy, beyond just the moral imperative, IMO.

We have an individual with no identification, wandering around seemingly alone in the bush near a high security landmark (nuclear research facility), and somewhat close to the nation's capital, Ottawa.

And all this right at the time of one of the worst terrorist attacks in history.

I've thought of one theory for this man's presence here, and I don't think it has been mentioned before.

I'm wondering if he was trying to access a remote drop for a shipment of drugs. Or possibly he was a location scout for a potential airstrip for drug drops.

He has travelled (seemingly, from his possessions), to Central America (drug gateway from North to South).

-British Colombia (drug production and widespread use in the Vancouver area, particularly Lower East Side).

-The United States, (high rates of drug usage).

-He was close to the Quebec border (organized crime in Montreal).

Maybe he was some type of player in the drug game.

We can't rule out that he may have suffered mental illness and was just wandering around, of course.

However, he was dressed for a day hike, but not really for hardcore hiking or camping. He also had some very, very basic survival equipment.

On another note:

I know that this is going to sound unpleasant, but when he was found in the outhouse, I wonder if the police took a quick look in the pit under the toilet seat.

If he had a wallet or some other I.D. on him, he may have kept it in his back pocket. Since it seemed that he was ill and in a great deal of discomfort, probably struggling to get down his jeans with the button-up fly, he many have dropped something out of his pocket down into the pit.

Also, I wonder if the investigating officers noted the odour of woodsmoke on his clothing. I know from experience that it is strong and persistent even after a couple of days after a bonfire. That may indicate that he was camping out in the area somewhere, as opposed to having walked in that day from elsewhere.

I agree.

The similarities are there, what with the glasses, and facial features (IMO).

The timing is not off the charts either, in terms of the crime and this man's body being found (three years), or the distance, maybe about 250 km.

Also, the original eyewitnesses to the murder may have misjudged the suspects height.

Good thinking, but I would imagine that a scientist who has a high level security clearance, responsiblities at the facility and a fairly high profile would be missed and his disappearance would become obvious.

Whoops! The above was a response to SunshinyDay on page 2 of the thread, where it was suggested that the UID was a scientist at Chalk River.

bbm

Not only that he possibly stayed at some expensive hotels. And why was his wallet missing ? That is what is strange to me.

Barclay Hotel

http://www.barclayhotel.com/rooms.html

Sutton Place, Toronto

http://www.toronto.suttonplace.com/default.htm

Criminals often have a "roll' of cash for spending money and illicit transactions, or at least that's the urban legend.

However, if he had indeed stayed in any of these hotels, he would have needed a credit card, I'm pretty sure. Any hotel anywhere I have stayed at in Canada or abroad has required one.

(I'm not assuming he was a criminal, but that may explain the lack of a wallet).

If the UID was with someone, that person could have taken ID, cash, vehicle, the rest of his belongings etc. It's difficult to imagine what he was found with was all he had with him.

I agree, Woodland.

If there was someone with him, it's no wonder he hasn't been identified.

It also makes you wonder what he (they) were doing in that area. If it were two hikers, what reason would someone have to not call authorities when their friend ends up in medical distress?

If this UID was not found to be from the area (reported missing) he had to have camping gear or a hotel/motel with clothing etc and a mode of travel, even if it was a bus, train etc.

On the OPP Website, the LE agency listed for this UID is the Criminal Investigation Branch of the Upper Ottawa Valley OPP. Was the CIB always listed? I only recall the Upper Ottawa Valley OPP previously.

Has this guy been considered.?
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1589_31786_32000-213609--,00.html
Glenn R. Hustin

Missing from: Middleton, Mich.
Birth: April 28, 1970
Race: White
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 120 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown

Glenn R. Hustin was last seen at his residence on Feb. 5, 2001. He disappeared one week prior to a scheduled court date in Gratiot County to testify as a witness

Had to look three times dotr - but not sure the person from Michigan has enough resemblance to the morgue picture of the UID. The sketch of the UID is off, imo.

Hustin's hair looks a tad too dark.

Also, "Bret" looks a bit more "chiseled", like he exercised quite a bit.

The physical size seems about right though.

I wonder how tall Bret really was. The description shows him as being rather short, especially for a male from an industrialized country.

Although I did not see a strong resemblence either, it was the general stature and timing of disappearance that caught my eye. Would love to see this mysterious case solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back