Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

You did well though, dotr.

I could see some passing similarities, too.

When you have a UID case with skeletal remains, burnt or partial remains, etc., I can understand a difficulty in identifying a subject.

However, you have a well preserved set of remains, fingerprints, headshots, reconstructions, and a list of artifacts showing where the man had been in the past, it almost doesn't make sense.

This case is troubling.

Also, the remote location of UID and the fact that his body was not dumped there, as far as we know, is important.

Another thing I thought of, although unlikely, was that he may have survived a small plane crash.

A plane may have disappeared over Algonquin, and was somehow not picked up on radar. Maybe he survived with few injuries and tried walking to civilization?

Not likely, but a possibility.

Ok this is a long shot but I think some of the details do match up except for his height. This young man is 5'10 - 130 lbs. Blue eyes, wavy brown hair.

Here is information on Chad Leo Eirikson from Missing People of Canada Facebook Page:

The Missing Children Society of Canada and family is making a last-ditch effort to locate a Canadian man who vanished shortly after passing through Costa Rica in the year 2000.

The man is Chad Leo Eirikson, then 21, who has not been heard
from since Jan. 12, 2000.

The Missing Children Society of Canada reports that it has created posters in Spanish and is distributing them to hostels, hospitals and tourist companies through Costa Rica, Panamá and French Guiana. The society also has set up a toll-free international number, 0800-015-0402, and a translator is available if non-English speakers call in Canada please call RCMP Innisfail Detachment (403-227-3341) or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)

Chad Leo Eirikson is described as being 5 feet, 10 inches tall with weight about 130 pounds. He has blue eyes and wavy brown hair that may have been dyed another color.

The society also accepts information at this e-mail address: tips@mcsc.ca.

Eirikson last had indirect contact with his family in Paso Canoas on the Panamá side of the Costa Rican-Panamá border. He picked up a $150 Western Union moneygram there, said the society.

The man had been traveling in Costa Rica and had plans to go to French Guiana Jan. 6, 2000, the society said, adding that the man called his mother and said that he was in Nicaragua and had run out of money. She wired $500, and a man believed to be Eirikson picked it up.

Jan. 10 2001 Chad called home three more times and said he had spent all the money getting out of Nicaragua and that he needed money sent to the Panamá border, said the society.
After he vanished, his parents reported him missing to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Alberta. The society said that the Canadian Embassy in Panamá investigated and determined that the man had crossed the Costa Rican border into Panamá Jan. 9, 2000, and did pick up the money from his mother that Jan. 12.
The non-profit Missing Children Society of Canada has been on the case since 2001 and is making an effort now because the trail seems cold, said a statement.

The statement can be found here: http://www.amcostarica.com/060105.htm

Also note the photos: This is from FB

550777_301860339919408_2017894214_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...37260093.27875.161197137319063&type=1&theater

and this is from the article and Missing Children Society of Canada

Eiriksonchad060105.jpg

http://www.mcsc.ca/mc_cases/chad-leo-eirikson

Thoughts?

`n-t`:

Thanks for your post.

In my opinion, this individual is too tall, and a little young to be our guy.

Also, his facial features and hair colour/texture are off, IMO.

The Costa Rican angle is interesting, though.

Good try! =-) This thing will be solved partially through a process of elimination such as this.

Do they provide a list of who has been ruled out as possible matches? TIA

Unfortunately Canadian LE has not caught on to it would be less work for them if they advised who has been ruled out - so they don't.

I tried asking why this became a criminal investigation - no reply. Something changed.

Unfortunately Canadian LE has not caught on to it would be less work for them if they advised who has been ruled out - so they don't.

I tried asking why this became a criminal investigation - no reply. Something changed.

Oh I didn't know it was a criminal investigation. Is this something they told you? Or was a link posted here and I missed it?

Is that what you mean by something changed? It is now considered a homicide?

See post #256.

On the OPP Website I use to look this UID up from time to time using Upper Ottawa Valley OPP - one day UOV was not an option so had to go page by page to see if he was still there. The designation changed to Criminal Investigation, Upper Ottawa Valley. That's what I meant by change, CI was not in the original OPP profile.

Holy smokes, I didn't realize this had changed. Woodland, I misread your initial post and didn't pick up on the significance.

I guess that there is suspicion of a homicide or some type of evidence tampering, or causing an indignity to a dead body.

Imagine this guy with short darkened hair and glasses after going on a diet...(similiar taste in clothing and jewellery)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1728dmmd.html
"Clothing: Blue jeans, brown double breasted waist-length jacket, tan and brown belt with turquoise stones OR a black leather belt with two brass rings, and tan Frye calf-length boots.

Jewelry: Turquoise and coral bracelet on left arm, turquoise ring on right ring finger, and a silver Timex watch.

Additional Personal Items: None noted.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Frank Ray Santmyer, Jr. was facing drug charges after he and two other men were caught at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport with 10 ounces of cocaine.

Police have long believed that Santmyer was killed in a shootout during a robbery. He had been shot once before that.

The courts declared him dead on October 28, 1980".

Because the death occurred just days before 9-11 (2001), and because this UID seems to be well travelled, I wonder if his family thought his disappearance could have placed him in the NY area? Perhaps he was reported missing but in a different context?

I still can't shake the feeling that this case is somehow related to the Lyle Stevik case.
This guy disappears right before 9/11. 'Lyle Stevik' kills himself very shortly after 9/11.

They were both found in the region of a nuclear facility. Both were 'well groomed' and had a connection to sudden weight loss (motive to change appearance?). Both bodies had no ID on them (with Lyle going to great lengths to ensure he couldn't be identified). Did Lyle kill this John Doe? Did he then succumb to feelings of guilt? Or, did he realize that John Doe had been murdered and this drastically changed his view on life? Were they both involved in some kind of illegal activity or terrorist plot?

While they were found very far away from each other, there was evidence that John Doe 'traveled' and 'Lyle Stevik' was said to have a Canadian accent.

I know it's a long shot, but it continues to niggle at my brain.

I don't suppose LE would compare LS's DNA to BS DNA, wouldn't that be something if they were related?
Two goodlooking young men found in curious circumstances and both unclaimed?!

I think that there is a distinct possibility re. connecting these two as well.

If I recall correctly, there was something like an eleven day gap between "Bret Stone" (September 05, 2001), and Lyle Stevik (September 16 or 17, 2001).

There would have been enough time for "Lyle" to cross the continent and wind up literally at the end of the U.S.

Again, this is all conjecture and intuition talking, but the circumstances of their deaths and what we know of their lives shortly before they died have some eerie similarities.

Maybe a side by side comparison of the facts of the case could be done in order to see what links can be made.

Also, the geographic distance between the two men would not immediately subject these two cases to police scrutiny regarding a potential link.

If "Bret" had been found in, say, British Columbia rather than Ontario, or conversely, "Lyle" had been found in rural Pennsylvania or New Hampshire, then maybe someone would have connected the two cases earlier and a comparison may have been discussed more publicly.

Go to post 21 in this thread and look at the post mortem color photo. His eyes are partially open. Brown is what I see, not blue.

Go to post 21 in this thread and look at the post mortem color photo. His eyes are partially open. Brown is what I see, not blue.
You are right Fin, but his eyes do look blue on this other version of same picture (post 161 ( link ):

attachment.php

The new Canadian missing person's and unidentified website has very little information on this UID. In fact, there are less pictures to be housed on this new database than the previous one. I think it only has the UID face and his eyeglasses. The personal effects are listed but the photos are not included (save them if you can). Just a heads up there.

One thing that intrigues me about this UID is his height. Surely such stature would stand out for a male.

The new Canadian missing person's and unidentified website has very little information on this UID. In fact, there are less pictures to be housed on this new database than the previous one. I think it only has the UID face and his eyeglasses. The personal effects are listed but the photos are not included (save them if you can). Just a heads up there.

One thing that intrigues me about this UID is his height. Surely such stature would stand out for a male.
Fin, could you please post Bret Stone's link in the new Canadian Missing Person's and UID site? Thanks in advance :tyou:

FYI...I submitted the possible link between Brett Stone and Lyle Stevik to the OPP. I know it's a long shot but I would kick myself if I didn't at least mention the possibility to them.

Should I also submit it to Gray's County Sheriff's office?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back