Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

What do you think of this guy as a possble match?
Danius W. Johnson
Doe Network case # 3428
missing from Wisconsin in 1998
dark brown hair, blue eyes, glasses, 5'4, 140 pounds.
Fits the description.
It says he was homeless, so possibly wouldn't have the money to travel, but who's to say that the travel bag found in "Bret Stone's" possession even belonged to him, he could have stolen it, or found it?

Side by side of Johnson and the UID. He certainly looks like another possibility, though the UID doesn't sound like a homeless man.

Attachments

• 334UMON1.jpg
    334UMON1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DWJohnson.jpg
    DWJohnson.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 334UMON.jpg
    334UMON.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 50
Side by side of Johnson and the UID. He certainly looks like another possibility, though the UID doesn't sound like a homeless man.

I agree he doesn't sound like a homeless man either, but their profiles do seem to match up.

In looking at the morgue picture, the ears on the deceased look quite different from Gelb's. The deceased's ears seem to go sort of round and out, before the come back in to the lobe. Gelb's seem to go straight down to the lobe. JMO

What do you think of this guy as a possible match?
Danius W. Johnson
Doe Network case # 3428
missing from Wisconsin in 1998
dark brown hair, blue eyes, glasses, 5'4, 140 pounds.
Fits the description.
It says he was homeless, so possibly wouldn't have the money to travel, but who's to say that the travel bag found in "Bret Stone's" possession even belonged to him, he could have stolen it, or found it?

I think Danius is a good possibility based on physical characteristics. As for the homeless aspect, sometimes people are only temporarily down on their luck, or get fed up with materialism and choose to live a more transient lifestyle.

additional pic of Danius W. Johnson:
johnson_danius.jpg
johnson_danius2.jpg

images found here: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/johnson_danius.html

teeth look different to me, JMO.

Yes, hard to tell with the different angles. Also, although Danius looks very much like the composite, IMO, the composite doesn't look very much like the actual pictures of Bret.
sillybilly, about your underlined comment = I thought it was just me thinking that, lol. Also the 2 composites look like 2 different people, JMHO. IDK why, but every time I look at the front composite I think of Lachlan :(

Good point about the composite. Gelb looks a lot more like the morgue photo than he does like the composite.

Another thought: I wonder if our UID was a birdwatcher? Costa Rica is known for that and so is Algonquin Park as it's a good spot for boreal birds, which are not found in too many places in the US.

I've wondered about birdwatchers of Algonquin Park for some time.

Hi, it's nice to find others interested in this case. I've been trying to help find this man's identity for years. I also thought about Gerald Gelb, the dates coinside for a possible match. Hope it pans out.
The area that Bret Stone was discovered in is very close to Chalk River Nuclear facility, which made me wonder if he was a scientist doing research?
Did you read about the rescent case of the Nuclear Scientist missing 41 year old Lachlan Cranswich Jan. 18 2010. This happened very close to the same location that Bret Stone was found. Maybe a possible connection somehow.

Certainly he was someone with a good chunk of disposable income to afford Koh Sakai eyewear:

From: http://www.drsee.com/featured-optical-products.html

"Designed by Koh Sakai, world-renowned in the optical industry for his creative brilliance and painstaking craftsmanship, this is one of his last handmade frame collections. A wide variety of sizes are represented, including many that will flatter those hard-to-fit customers with smaller eye sizes, and most styles are available with clip-on sun lenses."

Surely LE has tried to trace the frames. That particular prescription would add to the expense.

Certainly he was someone with a good chunk of disposable income to afford Koh Sakai eyewear:

From: http://www.drsee.com/featured-optical-products.html

"Designed by Koh Sakai, world-renowned in the optical industry for his creative brilliance and painstaking craftsmanship, this is one of his last handmade frame collections. A wide variety of sizes are represented, including many that will flatter those hard-to-fit customers with smaller eye sizes, and most styles are available with clip-on sun lenses."

Surely LE has tried to trace the frames. That particular prescription would add to the expense.
The glasses and other items in his possession are the most relevant clues to who this person is. You are correct about the glasses. Also note the other items. These are not indicative of one who was homeless or living in a shelter or halfway house. The ears of the sketch and that of Gelb do look alike as the basics of the ear are there that would be evaluated. Very interesting case. :twocents:

The glasses and other items in his possession are the most relevant clues to who this person is. You are correct about the glasses. Also note the other items. These are not indicative of one who was homeless or living in a shelter or halfway house. The ears of the sketch and that of Gelb do look alike as the basics of the ear are there that would be evaluated. Very interesting case. :twocents:

Those perfect teeth almost look to me like someone who has had veneers, or some kind of cosmetic dental work. As for the triathlon socks, who would wear those but a runner? Were there any marathons scheduled around that time in the area? Could this fellow have been following some kind of running circuit? Were the rest of his possessions unclaimed in a hotel somewhere nearby?

Would an American defence contractor possibly have business near Deep River, for example, at CFB Petawawa? Or would such a person visit AECL in Chalk River?

Something I'd like to point out when comparing autopsy results to missing persons ...

Although the autopsy report states that Bret's eyes were blue, do NOT discount missing individuals who are known to have brown eyes.

My son's autopsy report stated blue eyes when his eyes were in fact very dark brown. When I questioned the Chief Coroner, he told me that brown eyes will frequently show as blue after death. I do not remember the clinical reason he gave me.

Those perfect teeth almost look to me like someone who has had veneers, or some kind of cosmetic dental work. As for the triathlon socks, who would wear those but a runner? Were there any marathons scheduled around that time in the area? Could this fellow have been following some kind of running circuit? Were the rest of his possessions unclaimed in a hotel somewhere nearby?

Would an American defence contractor possibly have business near Deep River, for example, at CFB Petawawa? Or would such a person visit AECL in Chalk River?

I thought the same about his teeth Summer. WRT the Triathalon socks, i think it is a brand name as opposed to a specific style. I notice in Bret's profile on doenetwork that the clothing descriptions are capitalized when a brand name is involved.

Something I'd like to point out when comparing autopsy results to missing persons ...

Although the autopsy report states that Bret's eyes were blue, do NOT discount missing individuals who are known to have brown eyes.

My son's autopsy report stated blue eyes when his eyes were in fact very dark brown. When I questioned the Chief Coroner, he told me that brown eyes will frequently show as blue after death. I do not remember the clinical reason he gave me.

Or, as in the case of someone I know, eye color had been suddenly changed by the folks at the drivers' licensing bureau, without the licensee's knowledge. The eye color has subsequently been corrected on the licence, not the person. No contact lenses were involved.

Not to worry...the vital statistics folks had also changed the spelling of the person's name, and refused to correct it. The children's birth certificates reflect the correct spelling of the name. So the parent has a different name than what appears on the children's birth certificates. But then some further "upgrades" at the records department changed the entire family's surname to an incorrect spelling. To make things worse, a grandchild's entire name was fouled up, with surname, middle name and given name in the wrong order, topped off with an extra consonant, free of charge. Seems no one wanted to go back and read the original registration, nor did they want to type what was written. These were ordinary names, nothing unusual. Mistakes happen. A lot. It takes a lot of time and effort to get people to admit they were wrong.

I wonder if the reason given has something to do with whatever makes babies' eyes appear blue when they are born.

WRT the socks, it would be helpful to know if they were the velcro kind, with slits, that make them easy to put on during a triathlon. I wonder, too, if this person was not staying in a hotel. Perhaps he was camping, or staying in accommodation provided for him. And did he die where he was found?

sillybilly, I'm so very sorry to hear about your son :( Was it you who posted in Tori's thread some time ago?

Regarding the brown/blue eyes, the explanation could have been that he had a recessive blue eye gene. If at the time of conception, one of the parents provided blue eye gene and the other brown eye gene, the dominant will be brown, still he would have both colors (but we see only the brown), so he could still have a blue eye child (provided he married a blue eye girl or a brown-eyed girl with recessive blue eye gene).
If the partner has brown eye and no recessive blue eye gene, then there is no chance in the world the child would have blue eyes). Recessive brown is hard to explain, and only way to explain is with examples, but that would be off-topic. If both parents have blue eyes, the child will definitely have blue eyes.

Brown will have dominance over every color; so my guess is that after death, the recessive (hidden) blue eye showed up?

sillybilly, I'm so very sorry to hear about your son :( Was it you who posted in Tori's thread some time ago?

Regarding the brown/blue eyes, the explanation could have been that he had a recessive blue eye gene. If at the time of conception, one of the parents provided blue eye gene and the other brown eye gene, the dominant will be brown, still he would have both colors (but we see only the brown), so he could still have a blue eye child (provided he married a blue eye girl or a brown-eyed girl with recessive blue eye gene).
If the partner has brown eye and no recessive blue eye gene, then there is no chance in the world the child would have blue eyes). Recessive brown is hard to explain, and only way to explain is with examples, but that would be off-topic. If both parents have blue eyes, the child will definitely have blue eyes.

Brown will have dominance over every color; so my guess is that after death, the recessive (hidden) blue eye showed up?

That might well be it Hazel. I just know it was a clinical explanation related to the process of death, but the specifics have fallen out of my head. Some things are tough to revisit.

Yes, I believe it was Tori's thread where I made a post about my children. Both were some years ago Hazel, but at times it seems like yesterday, and Thank You for your thoughts :blowkiss:

Just a thought -- do you think he was in the area for the Petawawa Ironman competition? It's held in September, but I don't know the 2001 dates. People come from all over for this event, including ex-cadets, etc. It's been going on for more than a quarter-century.

Just a thought -- do you think he was in the area for the Petawawa Ironman competition? It's held in September, but I don't know the 2001 dates. People come from all over for this event, including ex-cadets, etc. It's been going on for more than a quarter-century.

That's an interesting thought -- and that means he could be from anywhere in the world, really. That's a big popular triathlon.

I did a quick search for missing triathletes but didn't come up with anything.

That's an interesting thought -- and that means he could be from anywhere in the world, really. That's a big popular triathlon.

I did a quick search for missing triathletes but didn't come up with anything.

This race isn't typical, and sounds almost more brutal than a regular ironman (if that's possible):

http://communities.canada.com/ottaw...ironman-competition-at-petawawa-thursday.aspx

With his smaller stature, I wonder if "Bret Stone" could be a spectator, or a participant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back