Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

This man ( with some connections to the area) has been missing since 2001 and is 5 6 to 5 -8 has a tattoo (which would rule him out) but some people do have them removed..
http://www.nampn.org/cases/edgell_troy.html
"Troy owns a cottage near Wolf Lake in Quebec, is originally from Brockville, and has friends in Smith Falls, Perth, Ottawa, Renfrew and Cornwall. Before disappearing, he owned and operated a chip wagon near the University of Ottawa. "

Has it been confirmed that he died of caffeine overdose? I thought COD had not been released to the public :dunno: I guess one of these days I'll have to go back and re-read from post 1 :)

WS poster, Tom Friendly, who started this thread for Brett, had spoken to LE about the case. He then provided some details, and also that Brett had died of a caffeine overdose. I guess we assumed this information had to have come directly from LE for Tom to have stated it so directly:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Laurentian Hills near Deep River ON - Male 334UMON, 28-40, Sept 2001

Tom Friendly ... if you are still here, would you please clarify whether that specific detail came from LE or elsewhere? Thanks :)

This man ( with some connections to the area) has been missing since 2001 and is 5 6 to 5 -8 has a tattoo (which would rule him out) but some people do have them removed..
http://www.nampn.org/cases/edgell_troy.html
"Troy owns a cottage near Wolf Lake in Quebec, is originally from Brockville, and has friends in Smith Falls, Perth, Ottawa, Renfrew and Cornwall. Before disappearing, he owned and operated a chip wagon near the University of Ottawa. "

That's a pretty good likeness, dotr. Wish we had left and right ear for both Troy and Brett for comparison. Also, no mention as to whether Troy wore glasses. I found it interesting that he had aliases:

AKA: Various aliases, including "Frank Rizzo" and "Patrick Kroon".

Still so hard to fathom how Brett could have died from a caffeine overdose, and yet nobody seems to have been looking for him all these years.

It will be 10 years this Sept 5 since" Brett Stone" was found.I hope he is identified soon.

WS poster, Tom Friendly, who started this thread for Brett, had spoken to LE about the case. He then provided some details, and also that Brett had died of a caffeine overdose. I guess we assumed this information had to have come directly from LE for Tom to have stated it so directly:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Laurentian Hills near Deep River ON - Male 334UMON, 28-40, Sept 2001

Tom Friendly ... if you are still here, would you please clarify whether that specific detail came from LE or elsewhere? Thanks :)

HI, That came from LE. I would NEVER post an assumption or a non-truth.

That's a pretty good likeness, dotr. Wish we had left and right ear for both Troy and Brett for comparison. Also, no mention as to whether Troy wore glasses. I found it interesting that he had aliases:

Still so hard to fathom how Brett could have died from a caffeine overdose, and yet nobody seems to have been looking for him all these years.
THANK YOU Tom Friendly for confirming COD info came directly from LE.

Ten long years and nobody knows who he is :( I checked The Netherlands missing adults site, and there were so few males in the list. It's very possible I didn't look in the right place though. Also checked Italy's missing people list (lots more there). Tom's theory that he could be European (mainly German, Dutch) is good. The thing is most come in groups.

Bumping for "Brett Stone", who has been waiting over a decade to be identified.

I wonder if "Brett" has been identified yet? Could his hair give a hint?
http://www.thestar.com/living/artic...-a-lot-about-a-person-from-one-strand-of-hair

"Christine McCarthy can learn a lot about a person from a strand of hair.

She can tell if you’ve been using crappy conditioner. She can tell if you’ve been taking drugs. She can tell if that was you in the driver’s seat of your dad’s Subaru last Wednesday when he absolutely forbade you to use it.

As a scientist at the Centre For Forensic Sciences in Toronto, McCarthy is one of a tiny, elite team of experts in the province who look at hair and fibre samples to help police and prosecutors solve crimes"

Just came across this thread today - I am so happy this fellow has a thread as I have been hoping for sometime he will be identified. Very interesting info here, most of which I did not know.

Has anyone looked at the unidentified 'Lyle Stevik' thread? For some reason I see these 2 having things in common.

Briefly, 'Lyle' checked into a motel on the west coast of Washington state about 12 days after 'Bret' was found. Lyle strangled himself to death with his belt. No luggage, no ID and used an address for another motel in Meredian, Idaho. No one knows how Lyle arrived at his final destination.

It was the number of motels/hotels between these 2 men that first caught my eye - I count 3 for Lyle given Meridian is a hotel chain, and 4 for Bret.

Lyle lost a lot of weight leading up to his death, and from this thread learned today about Bret overdosing on caffeine and or diet pills. Now I'm really stuck.

Both were well groomed, had nice teeth but no one is missing either of them. It's almost a straight line between Deep River and the town where Lyle was found - albeit many miles in between.

Could these 2 have been grifters/con men? Separately or together? Needing to change their appearance (as mentioned here by SB)?

Just came across this thread today - I am so happy this fellow has a thread as I have been hoping for sometime he will be identified. Very interesting info here, most of which I did not know.

Has anyone looked at the unidentified 'Lyle Stevik' thread? For some reason I see these 2 having things in common.

Briefly, 'Lyle' checked into a motel on the west coast of Washington state about 12 days after 'Bret' was found. Lyle strangled himself to death with his belt. No luggage, no ID and used an address for another motel in Meredian, Idaho. No one knows how Lyle arrived at his final destination.

It was the number of motels/hotels between these 2 men that first caught my eye - I count 3 for Lyle given Meridian is a hotel chain, and 4 for Bret.

Lyle lost a lot of weight leading up to his death, and from this thread learned today about Bret overdosing on caffeine and or diet pills. Now I'm really stuck.

Both were well groomed, had nice teeth but no one is missing either of them. It's almost a straight line between Deep River and the town where Lyle was found - albeit many miles in between.

Could these 2 have been grifters/con men? Separately or together? Needing to change their appearance (as mentioned here by SB)?

Interesting case, just found the WS recent thread for LS
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98029&page=17

ITA dotr, good find and IMO, this guy Raymond Carey could be a match.
He was a bar manager or bartender in that strip club in Montreal. If that is him, then someone drove his car back to Montreal, could explain why no car was found in Deep River.
The weight loss could be explained by those dieting and caffeine pills.
Also he went missing Jan. 10th and was found 7 months later on Sept. 05, 2001.
HEIGHT differs by 5 inches :(

raymond-carey.jpg
y1p4QkMk0W7mZtj10EQpfJI5tKhn5r-py1duZE3aXfUSmLFWHbEVjiFK67E4sTV-bvwrCRpDIzNFBE
00028_Image_2_L.jpg
00028_Image_1_L.jpg

deathopp.jpg
y1p4QkMk0W7mZtj10EQpfJI5tKhn5r-py1duZE3aXfUSmLFWHbEVjiFK67E4sTV-bvwrCRpDIzNFBE
212imhy.jpg

Raymond Carey - NAMPN (link: HERE)
  • Missing Since: January 10, 2001 from L'Ange-Gardien, Quebec.
  • Height: 5'9' (175 cm)
  • Weight: 181 lbs. (82 kg)
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Blue
  • Race: White
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Speaks French and English

Unidentified Ontario's Missing Adults (link HERE )
  • Date Of Discovery : 05 September 2001
  • Location Of Discovery : Deep River, Ontario
  • Height (estimate) : 5'3" - 5'4" (162 - 163 cm)
  • Weight (estimate) : 130 lbs (59 kg)
  • Hair Colour : Brown
  • Eye Colour : Blue
  • Race : Caucasian

Sources for Raymond's pictures and info:
- http://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca/personnes-disparues/raymond-carey.jsp
- Translated article: http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca/personnes-disparues/raymond-carey.jsp&ei=xRG1TKaIF4b2tgOc88G-CA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDisparition%2Bde%2BRaymond%2BCarey%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D733%26prmd%3Do

- http://plumes-soyeuses.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_pagedir=Next&_c11_BlogPart_handle=cns!D993023188DE8B8A!11046&_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=cat%3D%252aDisparues%2520%253f%2520%2521%2520%253f%253f

Hazel provided a great pic! Interested to see if this guy had any connection to LS?

Hazel does a great job with pics and other attachments!

I find it difficult to get past how Bret arrived in Deep River - there had to have been some mode of transportation. I can't help but lean towards someone had been traveling with Bret, and do believe his death was unexpected. Did that person then take his ID and other belongings and leave for fear of being questioned on who his 'pal' is and their movements up to the time of death?

Seems Bret had recently been up and down the west coast, but how new were the matches, laundry bag etc? Were they to lend credence in case he had to give a story on his whereabouts at any given time? That's what I feel about 'Lyle' giving the Meredian, Idaho address of a motel as his address - he always had it handy just in case.

Lyle was seen pacing up and down the road in front of the motel before he hung himself, as if he was weighing his options or trying to find another way out of a situation he might have been in. He may have sent a letter to someone as well - advising not to look for him? How to access some money? He went to a lot of trouble to conceal his identity.

Just a thought.

Is the possibility of a connection between Lyle and Bret too outlandish?

Have tried to find a crime a few months or so prior to this date where a description might fit with no luck. Still wondering if these 2 were hiding from something. Maybe it was something never reported?

The Doe Network:
Case File 4272DMPEI

Right: Age-Progressed to Age 35

Steven Leslie O'Brien
Missing since March 20, 1993 from Charolettetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 14, 1974
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes. Wears wire framed prescription glasses.
Clothing: White t-shirt, jeans and a burgundy winter jacket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Steven O'Brien was last seen walking south on Queen Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, around 01:30 am on March 20, 1993.
He was attending the Holland College Culinary Institute when he disappeared.
The family believes if O'Brien left P.E.I., he may be in or near Toronto.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Charolettetown City Police
902-566-4455

Source Information:
Missing Children Society Of Canada

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Check out the post above. I wanted to add his picture, but it didn't come up. The age progressed pic resembles our John Doe.

Thanks for posting the link. I am not that great on computers. I didn't send it in yet as I was waiting on input from others. I think they have alot of similarities and the fact that he may have been in Toronto area fits.

IMO, the picture Hazel posted resembles John Doe more than O'Brien but that's just my opinion. O'Brien's nose is shaped differently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back