CANADA Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01

That's a good find Babyslims as far as a matching description for this UID.

It's a shame that under no circumstances are the Edmonton Police going to be part of the solution. Since 2001 it's been their intention to obtain a photo. Wonder what the family of the missing man thinks of Edmonton Police not bothering to obtain a photo and post it. Or does Edmonton Police have a photo and is not posting it for 'privacy' reasons.

Last time I looked, the list of Alberta Missing Persons had so few photos of the missing, it wasn't worth looking at.

Only in Canada - shameful.

That's a good find Babyslims as far as a matching description for this UID.

It's a shame that under no circumstances are the Edmonton Police going to be part of the solution. Since 2001 it's been their intention to obtain a photo. Wonder what the family of the missing man thinks of Edmonton Police not bothering to obtain a photo and post it. Or does Edmonton Police have a photo and is not posting it for 'privacy' reasons.

Last time I looked, the list of Alberta Missing Persons had so few photos of the missing, it wasn't worth looking at.

Only in Canada - shameful.

Actually almost everything is off but the height is within reason, timing and black shoes lol

I would love to know upon what criteria the OPP moved this case into the criminal investigation sphere? ie. why? I wonder if the UID prints match some other criminal investigation (prints from another crime scene, but they cannot ID this person?)

Or do they feel foul play is now involved in the death?

It would be interesting to learn what that was Fin - I can tell you the timing fwiw.

On 14 July 2012, post #231, I posted 'Bret' is still on the OPP website - I searched by LE agency using Upper Ottawa Valley OPP.

By 1 Nov 2012 (post #256) that had changed to Criminal Investigation Branch, Upper Ottawa Valley OPP.

Either something came up in that three month, two week period or there was a correction where the listing should have always read CIB. I'm thinking the first option.

It would be interesting to learn what that was Fin - I can tell you the timing fwiw.

On 14 July 2012, post #231, I posted 'Bret' is still on the OPP website - I searched by LE agency using Upper Ottawa Valley OPP.

By 1 Nov 2012 (post #256) that had changed to Criminal Investigation Branch, Upper Ottawa Valley OPP.

Either something came up in that three month, two week period or there was a correction where the listing should have always read CIB. I'm thinking the first option.
Woodland, cannot find Bret Stone on the OPP website, or perhaps I don't know where to look.
I don't see any file cases under the Criminal Investigation Branch; the link doesn't work for me.

Could you please post the link to B.S. on the OPP site?
Thanks in advance :tyou:

P.S.: I remember seeing B.S.'s pdf. file on the OPP site long ago, which contained additional pictures, which luckily I saved.

Oh that site! lol Thanks again Woodland :blowkiss:

I thought you meant this other site, where the direct link for Criminal Investigation Branch Unsolved Investigations gives an error message ( :waitasec: wondering if they haven't realized the link is not working).

Is on this other site, where I remember seeing Bret Stone's pdf. file, but am no longer able to find it. Here is the link:

OPP PROVINCIAL POLICE = http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=182#MP

Editing to add: I just checked your link Woodland, and now I see what you mean by B.S. case file changed to Criminal Investigation Branch, Upper Ottawa Valley OPP.

Not exact but a possible perhaps...Brett Stone is shorter and lighter and has newer glasses but I suppose WH would have new ones by 2001 also.

Wayne Albert Hansen
Missing since November 27, 1996 from Edmonton, Alberta
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 27, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 35 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9" (176 cm); 145 lbs. (66 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown, short hair; blue/brown eyes. He wears eyeglasses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1778dmab.html

CANADA Canada - Wayne Albert Hansen, 35, Edmonton, 27 Nov 1996 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I realize that this doesn't help the investigation much, but I wonder if the reason the OPP moved the case to C.I.B. was something mundane.

Maybe it was some staffing issue or selection of an officer with expertise in dealing with unidentified remains.

If this case is connected with something else, it would serve the O.P.P. well to make it public. Witnesses could possibly connect the dots which would lead to a resolution in both cases.

Here, this may shed some light on the issue.

From the OPP Website:

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=184

The C.I.B. is mandated under the Coroner’s Act to provide assistance to the Coroner in investigating deaths or inquests. The Kingston Penitentiary Inquest Unit manages investigations for the Office of the Chief Coroner regarding in-custody death inquests in Ontario penitentiaries. The Provincial Inquest Coordinator monitors and coordinates inquests throughout the province and provides investigative support and training to investigators and coroner’s constables

So, I think all this means is that any odd or suspicious deaths would be investigated by C.I.B. as a matter of course. The incident does not have to be a definite or suspected homicide.

I do think that earlier posters were right.

A wide search of the area would have been useful, as it may have yielded clues that would indicate a campsite or some other makeshift shelter. However, after more than a decade, I don't think much would be found.

I am usually good with maps but I am having a hard time getting a sense of the area. I am guessing that it is fairly remote. How far is it from the nearest road? If someone could explain it again that would be great.

I think the thing that is so puzzling here is the fact that this man seemed to materialize out of nowhere, and did not appear to be a hobo or homeless recluse camping out.

He had all the trappings of money and living "large", but had no wallet or I.D. There have been cases of U.I.D.'s discovered at makeshift campsites before. However, this does not seem to fit the "pattern" if you will.

Again, he had to have come from somewhere, so unless he walked for hours if not days, there must have been some mode of transport to drop him at the point where the road terminated at the beginning of the ski trail.

So, I think all this means is that any odd or suspicious deaths would be investigated by C.I.B. as a matter of course. The incident does not have to be a definite or suspected homicide.

I do think that earlier posters were right.

A wide search of the area would have been useful, as it may have yielded clues that would indicate a campsite or some other makeshift shelter. However, after more than a decade, I don't think much would be found.

I am usually good with maps but I am having a hard time getting a sense of the area. I am guessing that it is fairly remote. How far is it from the nearest road? If someone could explain it again that would be great.

I think the thing that is so puzzling here is the fact that this man seemed to materialize out of nowhere, and did not appear to be a hobo or homeless recluse camping out.

He had all the trappings of money and living "large", but had no wallet or I.D. There have been cases of U.I.D.'s discovered at makeshift campsites before. However, this does not seem to fit the "pattern" if you will.

Again, he had to have come from somewhere, so unless he walked for hours if not days, there must have been some mode of transport to drop him at the point where the road terminated at the beginning of the ski trail.

It has always reminded me of one of those brain teasers. A man is found hanging from a rope in the middle of a room with no furniture, locked from the inside....

I really don't think he was alone, since anything else just doesn't make sense to me.

A man is found hanging from a rope in the middle of a room with no furniture, locked from the inside....

Block of ice ;)

I agree, I think someone was with him.

Are we sure his height is listed right? It seems quite unusual but I suppose it could point to the idea that he is not from the US or Canada. Perhaps somewhere with a shorter average height?

amanzio_luis.jpg

Luis Joseph Amanzio
http://nampn.org/cases/amanzio_luis.html

That is a very good likeness you have shown Fin - hope it gets looked at.

The OPP has once again changed the LE Agency in charge of this case - it's back to Upper Ottawa Valley OPP and not or no longer part of their CIB (Criminal Investigation Branch).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back