CANADA Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 334UMON, 28-40, eyeglasses, Sep'01

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Tom Friendly, Feb 11, 2008.

1. brett1968

brett1968 Member

Now that Lyle Stevik has been identified, if there ever was a connection between this man and Lyle, I wonder if there could be any way their two identities might somehow be found to be conclusively linked?

Admittedly, Lyle's family have stated they knew nothing of his whereabouts for the last 16 plus years, but it may be that they were aware of this man's identity in relation to Lyle from his past and prior to his disappearance.

It feels like it could be a desperately long bow to draw, but the known circumstantial connections which can be projected upon as links between these two cases is far too strong a lead to just ignore, in my opinion.

Woodland likes this.
  2. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

I wonder if they could do a similar genealogical DNA analysis, similar to what they did for Lyle. Since this guy had signs of travel, you would think that it would be particularly helpful in locating connections, which otherwise would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Actually, isotope testing would likely be helpful in this case. I know this was raised in this thread a number of years ago, but certainly something could be done??

Of course LE would have to find the funds to do the isotope testing, and I'm not sure they are motivated enough to pursue it.

Woodland likes this.
  3. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

<modsnip>

One guy from California hanged himself in a hotel room in his home state.

A different guy who had been traveling through Canada died in a park in Canada, probably of natural causes or an accidental overdose of caffeine pills.

4. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Paul BYRNE

Missing since: Friday, September 20, 1996
    Year of birth: 1962 [39 years old in Sept. 2001]
    Height: 174 cm [5' - 8.5"]
    Build: Medium
    Hair: Dark Brown
    Eyes: Blue
    Complexion: Fair
    Distinguishing Features: Wore a full beard, moustache and glasses.
    Reward offered: 100000

[Info in brackets, added by me; respectfully bolded and underlined by me]

Circumstances
    Paul Byrne was 34-years-old when he went missing and was last seen leaving the Rossarden Club in the Fingal Valley of Northern Tasmania at 2am on 20 September 1996.
    He has not been seen or heard from since this time.
    There is no apparent reason for his disappearance and police suspect Paul may have met with foul play.

[​IMG]
    PAUL WINSTON BYRNE

https://missingpersons.gov.au/search/tas/paul-byrne

5. Hazel

Hazel New Member

[​IMG]

More detailed info about the circumstances of Paul Winston Byrne's disappearance, at link below.

He is taller than Bret Stone, and from New Zealand (south east of Australia).

Could he have somehow survived the torture that he was subjected to in Tasmania (south of Australia), and ended up in Ontario, Canada?

His eyeglasses in the picture are different shape than Bret Stone's, but there's something about his features: nose, right eyebrow, lips that are similar to Bret's. JMHO

Aussie police offer $100K reward in sex murder of 'quiet Kiwi'
    11 Oct, 2007
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10469309

6. cymster

cymster Member

Can you explain this? How you feel Lyle's case (I'm so happy this got resolved) and this one might related to each other? Just extremely curious.

7. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

?
    Steven van Leent
    Steven van Leent
    49 years
    Nederlands
    Case number:
    Since:
    08-12-1989
    Missing from:
    Groningen
    Steven is missing since December 8, 1989. He was last seen in Groningen. Steven is slim built, has dark blond hair (balding), wears glasses and misses a small part of his right front teeth.
    Date of birth:
    03-06-1969
    Length:
    168cm
    [​IMG]

anonymess and musicaljoke like this.
  8. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

It's an extreme long shot. You'd have to believe that van Leent managed to go off the grid for twelve years while managing to prosper and travel around the world.

The murder rate in the Netherlands was extremely low back in the late '80s, so it's possible that van Leent assumed a new identity, but I lean towards an accidental death or suicide.

As for Bret Stone, he's probably someone who was never reported missing.

dotr likes this.