Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
tuppence said:
so now people say they saw the car at 5 AM? sorry this doesn't look good for the hubby.
5 AM? Do you think maybe that was a typo?

I'm not sure what to think yet. I know I couldn't give an exact time my dh leaves in the morning because it varies between 6:15 & 6:45. Could someone have lifted her and knocked off her shoes so her footsteps couldn't be traced?

I think it is pretty quick to judge the husband. I know if I were in his shoes I wouldn't know what to do or say. The emotions going through your system would probably cause you not to think 100%. I also never know what time my fiance leaves for work. I can tell you it is normally between 8:00 and 8:45. I just hate to think that while this man is going through what is probably the worst point in his life there are people who have already put the guilty stamp on him.

lostfaith said:
You know, I hate to put to much into the time thing, just because in my household, every clock is different. my oldest sets the microwave clock at what his school clock is at, my husband sets his alarm clock for his work time clock. My car is set 10 min. fast so that if I am out bumming before I have to go to work, I am never late. Every clock in our house is different. I do not know if our family is just a little wierd, or if other people do this too?

All my clocks are 10-15 min. fast. It trips my BF out.

Most hosp. start their first shift at 7 am. Nurses will start arriving at 6:15 am at the earliest, unless they are meeting someone for coffee, etc. Most won't arrive until 6:30 am.
The time discreptancy really bothers me, the two witnesses that saw the vehicle in the lot so much earlier than the time she supposedly left for work. Now it could be the hubby said that she left that time, because that was her usual time to leave, but he may not have had to get up for work until later and would sleep in til he had to get up and get ready. But why wouldn't he have said that?
Also the two shoes being found bothers me as they may have come off in a struggle.
And the id being strewn around? Another sign of struggle? Or did she have those in her hand as she was being dragged and was dropping them to show which way she was being taken?
There are some pretty weird things here.

I never know the exact time my hubby leaves for work unless I check, but I do know that he always leaves within 5 minutes of his regular time. The only time he leaves differently is if he has something extra to do and he always mentions it. So I would think that the hubby's timeline is referring to when she usually leaves and the fact that her car was spotted earlier doesn't look good for him.
JMHO

Investigation continues into pregnant woman's disappearance

Last updated Jul 14 2005
CBC News

Forty-eight hours after Liana White went missing, friends say they're hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Police are still treating her disappearance as a missing person's case, but as standard procedure, homicide detectives are involved should the worst happen.

"We're just being careful about how we investigate this," Det. Ernie Schreiber said after interviewing White's husband Wednesday, adding Michael White is not considered a suspect.

Michael White last saw his 29-year-old wife, who is four months pregnant and has a two-year-old daughter, about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday, as she left for work as a clerk at the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Her brown Ford Explorer was found abandoned in the parking lot of a playing field behind the Castledowns YMCA – about two kilometres from her home – with the keys inside and the door wide open.

Police say her purse, some identification and a pair of shoes were found near the SUV. More identification and her cellphone were found in an area northwest of the parking lot.

Police have been canvassing the neighbourhood, and with the help of volunteers, distributing flyers with Liana White's picture on it.

"I do hope she's OK," neighbour Dena Gallant said. "I'm just praying that we don't hear something bad. Who knows? Maybe they had a fight, maybe she left. You don't really know what happened.

"And until the evidence comes in to show something different, you just kind of hope for the best and pray the worst hasn't happened."

Sherri Unger, who works with White in the neo-natal unit at the Royal Alex, says she can't believe her friend would just disappear.

"It's very strange. Very strange. It's not within her character at all just to go missing like that," Unger said. "Very energetic, very outspoken, very charismatic. She was a good person."

Wednesday, Michael White made a televised plea for his wife's return, saying she would never hurt anyone.

"If whoever has her, or if she is out there and you see me, just stay there and I will find you. I will find you," he said.

In a media scrum later in the day, White thanked the police and media for helping publicize her disappearance.

"Liana, just hold on, hold tight," he said.

Police are also investigating what may be discrepancies in the timeline of White's disappearance. While Michael White said she left home at 6:15 a.m., at least two people have said they saw her SUV in the parking lot behind the YMCA before 6 a.m.

http://edmonton.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ed-missing-white20050714

I live just west of Edmonton. My initial reaction to seeing the husband on tv was that he looked like Mark Hacking and talked 'scottspeak" I rewatched the interview after hearing of the two witnesses who had supposedly seen the vehicle earlier than the supposed departure time.Gosh darn !! Was it my imagination or did he look to the left and down ? I hate being so suspicious!It certainly would take longer than 5 minutes to get from her subdivision to the Royal Alex, and goodness knows how far her parking spot is from the hospital.As of 11:16 Mountain Time, there is no news.

As of 11:18 Mountain Time, there is no news. I live just west of the city and have been listening to the local news.Just wondering about the discrepancy from when he said he saw her leave for work to when the two witnesses say they saw the SUV.

"The driver's door was wide open and Ms. White's purse and keys remained inside. Her wallet was missing and her identification and shoes were scattered around the parking lot. More identification was found in the northwest corner of the ballpark and her cellphone was found switched off in the grass about 15 metres from the SUV."

This part of the report has me thinking about possible scenarios. Here are some thoughts I am trying to pull together.

Her purse was in the car, but the wallet was missing. I would assume she would keep the wallet in the purse. If so, someone took the wallet out of the purse. Why would someone take the wallet but not the whole purse?

Maybe someone did manage to get her to pull over, and demanded that she go with him and also demanded that she bring her wallet?

Since she was so quiet and sweet, as has been reported, she may not have tried to fight much, if at all. If the perpetrator had a weapon, she may have just gone with him out of fear -- thus no signs of a struggle.

As for the cell phone. Maybe she secretly grabbed the cell phone along with her wallet -- and as the perpetrator took her from the scene he discovered she had it, and he tossed it.

As for the ID -- perhaps it was a hospital ID badge or something like that. Maybe it fell off or she removed it and dropped it as a silent call for help?

About the shoes, I'm having a harder time thinking of a possible explanation. It doesn't seem like she would get out of the vehicle with her wallet, cell phone, and carrying her shoes. Maybe she drives without her shoes on. When the perpetrator pulled her over, and demanded she go with him -- maybe she grabbed her shoes to put them on outside the car. The perpetrator was impatient and took her just barefooted or sock-footed. Her shoes were left there by the car.

I wonder what other forms of ID were found?

It's really strange. Usually we have very little evidence to go on. This crime scene, however, has evidence scattered all over it -- but none of it readily makes any sense.

More thoughts --

If the perpetrator was in a vehicle and managed to get Liana to pull over -- wouldn't he just pull her a short distance into his vehicle? Why would her things then be scattered off in various directions? Maybe she handed the perp her wallet and then tried to run, but he caught her and hauled her back?

Then again, if the perp was already in the car when she got in it to go to work -- then I think her body would be found somewhere nearby where her SUV was left. The perp wouldn't have a vehicle to take her to. Unless it was all planned and he had a vehicle waiting for himself somewhere (like in the Groene case). This would indicate she may have had a stalker.

Sorry if this is starting to be a bit too much "stream of consiousness" as I type. I'm having too many thoughts right now and I'm trying to keep them straight!

Why would Liana's wallet be missing, and she's missing, but her purse is still in the car? She pulled the car over, someone took the time to remove her wallet from her purse, and then abducted her, leaving the purse behind? With no signs of a struggle?

Why not just take her, and leave the purse and wallet, or if wanting the wallet too, take the whole purse?

If a serial killer has abucted someone, a total stranger, they usually don't take the time to make it look like a robbery---they don't care, they just want the victim and it makes no difference to them if it clearly looks like an abduction took place.

Why would someone get her to pull her car over, not just on the side of the road, but in a parking lot, just to take her wallet out of her purse, then decide to take her also?

And absolutely no signs of a struggle, despite more ID, cell phone, and shoes found scattered nearby. Wonder if Liana was ever actually in her car that morning, if there are any signs that she was actually taken from the vehicle at the site where it was found.

mom-a-licious said:
Why would Liana's wallet be missing, and she's missing, but her purse is still in the car? She pulled the car over, someone took the time to remove her wallet from her purse, and then abducted her, leaving the purse behind? With no signs of a struggle?

Why not just take her, and leave the purse and wallet, or if wanting the wallet too, take the whole purse?

If a serial killer has abucted someone, a total stranger, they usually don't take the time to make it look like a robbery---they don't care, they just want the victim and it makes no difference to them if it clearly looks like an abduction took place.

Why would someone get her to pull her car over, not just on the side of the road, but in a parking lot, just to take her wallet out of her purse, then decide to take her also?

And absolutely no signs of a struggle, despite more ID, cell phone, and shoes found scattered nearby. Wonder if Liana was ever actually in her car that morning, if there are any signs that she was actually taken from the vehicle at the site where it was found.
Good thought. I wonder if they have used tracking dogs and what the results were.

" The mystery deepens" --Global Edmonton," especially the discrepancy of times. The Police Department is expected to hold a press conference this afternoon."

If whoever abducted her was pretending to be a police officer, she may have taken her wallet out of her purse to show her driver's license. I can't understand why the police are saying there was no sign of a struggle. Don't her belongings scattered all over the place indicate that there WAS a struggle?

kahskye said:
5 AM? Do you think maybe that was a typo?

I'm not sure what to think yet. I know I couldn't give an exact time my dh leaves in the morning because it varies between 6:15 & 6:45. Could someone have lifted her and knocked off her shoes so her footsteps couldn't be traced?

Some jobs have more flexiibility than others in terms of when people arrive at work. Nurses and teachers are two professions that cannot be late so I think it's safe to assume that they leave for work at the same time everyday, depending on weather.

190 pounds wouldn't be that easy to pick up and carry away.

otto said:
Some jobs have more flexiibility than others in terms of when people arrive at work. Nurses and teachers are two professions that cannot be late so I think it's safe to assume that they leave for work at the same time everyday, depending on weather.

190 pounds wouldn't be that easy to pick up and carry away.

I just noticed this statement in a recent article.

Though Liana was initially described by police as weighing 190 pounds, they yesterday said that may be revised to a lower weight, closer to 150 pounds.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/07/14/1130977-sun.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member