CANADA Canada - Ljubica Topic, 6, Windsor, Ont, 14 May 1971

Welcome Damian 11. Please share what you know.
Thank you for the welcome. I was born a decade and a half after ljubica was murdered. Her story has been repeated throughout the years in our community as so many people are still around. Somethings I’d rather not say here on the board as it might be too private. Mainly, this is concerning her father who has passed away

Thank you for the welcome. I was born a decade and a half after ljubica was murdered. Her story has been repeated throughout the years in our community as so many people are still around. Somethings I’d rather not say here on the board as it might be too private. Mainly, this is concerning her father who has passed away

Welcome damian11. I'm curious as to why you are posting here, if you can't share any information.

Drove by Drouillard rd yesterday. I’m not sure when it became an awful place to live but i think in 1971 it wasn’t that bad of a place to live. Not sure if i can say it was a lower income area.

"The male responsible for the murder is not being named, as he will never have his day in court to answer to the charges. He is no longer a threat. Had he been alive, the Windsor Police Service would have arrested him and charged him with the homicide."

Deceased Male Identified As Being Responsible For 1971 Murder
Regardless of him no longer being a threat, there may be other cases out there that could be solved, because someone remembers his face. I, for instance, had no idea that the man who tried to lure me into his car, when I was 13, was a serial killer in London and Area, until I saw photos of both him and his car from that time period. I fled, but was extremely frightened then, and, more recently at the 'close call' AND who this deranged psychopath really was.

Thinking outside the box here but what if the broken tooth man is NOT the person who attacked the child? What if... perhaps he tried to help her? Save her? Perhaps he was known to the actual murderer and tried to intervene and got a punch to the face in the process?

What makes police so sure that he is both the abductor and attacker, or that he was alone during his entire time with this child??

Wish there were more answers
Don't you think someone trying to save her would come forward immediately? It's delusional to think otherwise.

If the tooth wasn’t discovered for 40 years, how would the police have known back then the perp was missing a tooth? They couldn’t have advised the public back then either. Or am I missing something??
Police found the tooth right away - at the crime scene. They should have informed the public immediately, so that the perp's neighbors, co-workers, and so on would presumably alert police to him suddenly missing a front tooth.

Don't you think someone trying to save her would come forward immediately? It's delusional to think otherwise.

No. I don't actually. It might depend on who it was, and what happened. Maybe someone got into a fight with the guy and didn't even see or know there was a little girl there being attacked. Maybe someone was too frightened to come forward for some reason - maybe someone was traumatized by whatever he may have seen / known, or maybe it was fear because of WHO the attacker was in relation to him (perhaps a father, son, friend). Who knows? So, while we'd hope someone who may have witnessed or even tried to help would have come forward, but they don't always do that, even if they should.

Her murder has finally been solved, however the culprit will never face justice as he has recently passed away. DNA helps solve 1971 cold case murder

Yeah; it was solved back in Dec 2019. We are perturbed that, for some assinine reason, they aren't releasing her killer's name. They are citing "privacy" yet that reason doesn't fly in Ontario given that the killer of Christine Jessop was identified post-death but name etc were released to public.

Pretty difficult for previous possible victims of this guy, and we suspect there may be some as Ljubica's horrific death doesn't seem to be of the type where it would be a one-of, to come forward should they recognize him as the individuals who victimized them.

Actually, it angers me that they won't release his name. Why is he sooooo 'special'??

Yeah; it was solved back in Dec 2019. We are perturbed that, for some assinine reason, they aren't releasing her killer's name. They are citing "privacy" yet that reason doesn't fly in Ontario given that the killer of Christine Jessop was identified post-death but name etc were released to public.

Pretty difficult for previous possible victims of this guy, and we suspect there may be some as Ljubica's horrific death doesn't seem to be of the type where it would be a one-of, to come forward should they recognize him as the individuals who victimized them.

Actually, it angers me that they won't release his name. Why is he sooooo 'special'??
Quite possibly he was a public figure of some sorts. That's the only reason I can possibly think of; that or there's an ongoing investigation into other crimes he may be tied to.

I absolutely agree...his name should be published, as well a his face and description; so that those who were children at the time, in particular, can identify him as, for instance, the man that tried to lure them. I agree, as well regarding it not being the only time. There are a few unsolved murders of children in SW Ontario.

I absolutely agree...his name should be published, as well a his face and description; so that those who were children at the time, in particular, can identify him as, for instance, the man that tried to lure them. I agree, as well regarding it not being the only time. There are a few unsolved murders of children in SW Ontario.
Is it possible the murder was ritualistic in nature? Something relating to the occult?

Around the same period children were murdered in Oakland county right across the border. I believe 4 were murdered and it remains unsolved. Authorities believe these children may have been sent to North Fox Island, precursor to Epstein Island.

Why isn’t there public outrage? Why don’t people care? Why aren’t there protests, demonstrations, letter writing? If this was a child that belonged to the mayor or a rich prominent businessman, the killer’s name would be released. But Ljubica was the child or poor immigrants. Why doesn’t she matter? Why is protecting the killer’s privacy more important than this innocent child? How many other kids did he molest or kill? Why isn’t his picture plastered on the evening news asking do you know this a$$, did he ever do anything to you, where was he when your child disappeared? I can only speculate that police are sure he didn’t do anything else. Maybe he’s been in jail all along for something else. Maybe he had special needs and was institutionalized. They must be 100% sure that he didn’t do anything else. Or they’re incompetent.

Why isn’t there public outrage? Why don’t people care? Why aren’t there protests, demonstrations, letter writing? If this was a child that belonged to the mayor or a rich prominent businessman, the killer’s name would be released. But Ljubica was the child or poor immigrants. Why doesn’t she matter? Why is protecting the killer’s privacy more important than this innocent child? How many other kids did he molest or kill? Why isn’t his picture plastered on the evening news asking do you know this a$$, did he ever do anything to you, where was he when your child disappeared? I can only speculate that police are sure he didn’t do anything else. Maybe he’s been in jail all along for something else. Maybe he had special needs and was institutionalized. They must be 100% sure that he didn’t do anything else. Or they’re incompetent.
Im afraid we’re not going to get answers from the police. We can only work off a few articles.

i mean is it out of the realm that maybe there was another man involved?

They had over 100 volunteers that night searching for her. She was found a few blocks over in an alley. The guys tooth fell at the scene of the crime. A struggle out in the alley and nobody heard? More i look into this the more things i see that are suspicious.

Im afraid we’re not going to get answers from the police. We can only work off a few articles.

i mean is it out of the realm that maybe there was another man involved?

They had over 100 volunteers that night searching for her. She was found a few blocks over in an alley. The guys tooth fell at the scene of the crime. A struggle out in the alley and nobody heard? More i look into this the more things i see that are suspicious.
Yah, seriously... How many men would have a freshly lost tooth the day after this crime took place? An orthodontist would be able to confirm it belongs to the suspect turned in by a citizen. Instead, he was free for decades...virtually getting away with a brutal murder of a child. My heart aches for her and her family.

Yah, seriously... How many men would have a freshly lost tooth the day after this crime took place? An orthodontist would be able to confirm it belongs to the suspect turned in by a citizen. Instead, he was free for decades...virtually getting away with a brutal murder of a child. My heart aches for her and her family.

i find it strange, 100 volunteers searching for Ljubica and nobody sees a car park on Alice and Hickory which is by car literally a dozen seconds from Ljubica’s house.
The 100 volunteers is a number i got from the Windsor Star, May 16th edition.

if the tooth is found in the alley does that mean the rape and murder occurred there?

I am reaching out to the Websleuth community for any information regarding the killer of Ljubica Topic in 1971.

I was sexually molested at the age of four, sometime between May and October 1969, exact date is not known. The incident took place in the alley behind the 1500 block of Dougall Ave and Church St. My parents reported it to Windsor Police but I don’t have details of what was done at that time. My parents are since deceased and when I contacted Windsor Police for an access request for my records, they could find no record of it (too old of a file).

My memory of some aspects of the incident are clear and I have a general picture in my head of the man’s appearance and his vehicle. Before it happened, I was playing in the alley with a group of older neighbourhood children and this person gave them some money and told them to go to the corner store and leave me behind. He tried to persuade me to get in his car, but I shook my head ‘no’ and so he molested me and pleasured himself and thankfully he left in his car alone. I returned home with some coins in my hand and when my mother asked where the money came from I told her. The look of fear in her eyes is something that sticks with me, but I think she played it pretty cool so she wouldn’t frighten me. It wasn’t until after her death in 1993 that I read an article about a “cold-case” in Windsor of the murder of Ljubica Topic. The thing I noticed first was the similarity in our appearance and then reading the few details given I was a bit shaken wondering if this was the same man. I spoke with my older siblings and they said my mother always wondered the same, but she never spoke to me about it. Over the years I would wonder if I had anything to contribute to solve Ljubica’s case but I really don’t have concrete memories that I could swear to in court, and there is fear and shame involved with telling my story. At one point, the police issued a sketch of what the suspect might look like. It did not seem to jive with my recollection of his face, but still I wondered. Now that her case has been closed definitively, I find myself wondering even more if this is the same individual. If that is the case, I was incredibly lucky that no violence occurred in the incident I was involved in. Perhaps because I didn’t put up a fight? Maybe he was just getting started and hadn’t escalated yet? I would like to see a picture of the person they have identified as her killer, preferably from that time period so that I can put this to rest in my mind after over 50 years.

I have contacted Windsor Police Victim Services; the Information & Privacy Commission; Percy Hatfield’s office; and even a private investigator……all with absolutely no support.

I do wonder if there are others like me with similar stories that were largely ignored by Windsor Police at the time prior to Ljubica’s murder? Please reach out with any information you may have to share.

Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back