Found Deceased Canada- Lois Chartrand, 74, Mushroom Picker, Highway 106 (Hanson Lake Road) Saskatchewan, 5 August ' 22

dotr

Reaction score
rbbm.
1660138847595.png
''RCMP have opening up a call for members of the public to join the search for a missing 74-year-old woman.''

Lois Chartrand was last seen at around 11 a.m. on August 4. She was mushroom picking northeast of kilometre 30 on Highway 106 (Hanson Lake Road). RCMP say Chartrand is an experienced mushroom picker who became separated from the person she was with. That person contacted police.

On August 5, RCMP said they had communicated with Chartrand that morning via a radio she is carrying but had not located her.

Saskatchewan RCMP’s Smeaton Detachment, Police Dog Services and Search and Rescue are searching for Chartrand. They’re joined by an Alberta RCMP helicopter, Saskatoon Police Service Air Services, the Civilian Air Search and Rescue Association, the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency and the Search and Rescue Saskatchewan Association of Volunteers.

Community volunteers are also assisting with the search. A search base has been established three kilometres east off of Highway 106, about 33 km north of Smeaton. RCMP ask that members of the public looking to join the search — who must be familiar with the area — sign in at the search base to ensure both a comprehensive search and safety.

Volunteers are also asked to wear bright clothing and have proper footwear, food, drink and emergency supplies. There is no cell service in the area.

Chartrand is described as weighing about 90 pounds and is five feet tall. She was last wearing blue jeans and a blue jacket.

Smeaton is approximately 219 km northeast of Saskatoon.''

https://www.cjme.com/2022/08/10/sea...-but-not-successful-in-finding-missing-woman/.
Police started searching with a drone but a storm that evening knocked the drone out of the sky.

“They didn’t have hail there, but they had rain and wind and the drone wasn’t working that good,” Schreiner said.

One of the searchers decided to try the radio once more at 6 a.m. the following day and managed to make contact.

“The RCMP who were there had the radio. He said, ‘are you okay?’ ‘Yes, I am.’ ‘Are you safe?’ ‘Yes, I am,’” she said.

Aug 9 2022 rbbm
''Chartrand and her husband, Lorne Terry, are well known in the world of people who glean the harvest of the wilderness and turn it into a living.

“Their passion was picking mushrooms all over the north and I had no idea where they went. Lorne would keep the spots secret,” Schreiner said.

The couple has done this for many years and is very familiar with the wilderness.''

''Chartrand and her husband pick mushrooms, fiddleheads and wild berries as an income source, selling what they gather to high-end restaurants in Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

Lorne was in Saskatoon selling previous pickings when Lois and another friend went to a ‘secret location’ where they knew they could reliably find more.

Getting to the location requires driving in a part of the way, then using an ATV to go onto a trail and then picking in the brush.

“It was the first time ever they had taken a two-way radio,” Schreiner said. “So then they’re picking and apparently Lois had a tendency to wander to the best patch.”

“The RCMP who were there had the radio. He said, ‘are you okay?’ ‘Yes, I am.’ ‘Are you safe?’ ‘Yes, I am,’” she said.

The officer instructed her to stay put and wait for rescue.

That is the last contact anyone has made with Chartrand and Schreiner admits that after six days the search is becoming a recovery mission as opposed to the rescue despite the contact.''

Aug 9 2022 rbbm
''Chartrand and her husband, Lorne Terry, are well known in the world of people who glean the harvest of the wilderness and turn it into a living.

“Their passion was picking mushrooms all over the north and I had no idea where they went. Lorne would keep the spots secret,” Schreiner said.

The couple has done this for many years and is very familiar with the wilderness.''

''Chartrand and her husband pick mushrooms, fiddleheads and wild berries as an income source, selling what they gather to high-end restaurants in Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

Lorne was in Saskatoon selling previous pickings when Lois and another friend went to a ‘secret location’ where they knew they could reliably find more.

Getting to the location requires driving in a part of the way, then using an ATV to go onto a trail and then picking in the brush.

“It was the first time ever they had taken a two-way radio,” Schreiner said. “So then they’re picking and apparently Lois had a tendency to wander to the best patch.”

The officer instructed her to stay put and wait for rescue.

That is the last contact anyone has made with Chartrand and Schreiner admits that after six days the search is becoming a recovery mission as opposed to the rescue despite the contact.''
I really hope it’s not a recovery mission . She’s been picking for years so she has a idea how to survive there’s bound to be saskatoons chockcherries all sorts of berries and mushrooms there’s water I really hope they don’t give up on her.

10 Aug 2022
SBBM

The RCMP put out a call for volunteers with knowledge of the area, and Logan said the search has included police, volunteers from “all over Saskatchewan,” an RCMP helicopter, infrared cameras, a police plane, and drones. “One night we kept a police vehicle out there and kept our overhead red and blues on, and then hit the siren every once in a while just in the event she was nearby,” Logan said.

3294c060-0818-43b4-b929-bb63633a9ce1.png

Interesting things I found out about mushroom picking from a podcast I was listening to about another woman who went missing while mushroom picking. Apparently, and I don't know the type of mushroom, but is is big business, garners a lot of money so much so in fact that it can become dangerous when dealing with the harvesting of these particular mushrooms. The podcast kind of likened it to the instances of the illegal marijuana farms that are operating out of public forest in the US which has become dangerous even if your just passing through. I'm not of the opinion that this woman came into contact with anything of that sort. My understanding is there was some bad weather in that area perhaps she got turned around and lost. Hopefully she will be found safe.

Just wanted a peek into the world of Mushroom picking, fwiw..
''German crime writers love to have mushrooms pickers find a corpse or bones in the forest. Surprisingly enough, this is something that happens in the real world too.''

“I’m a little more new-school, I use technology. Once I find an area that’s producing, I’ll look at satellite imagery, see what the forest looks like and then cross-reference that with topography and elevation,” he said. Then he’ll look for other mountains in the area with similar topography and forest characteristics and go check the area out. But it’s not the only way to go about finding forest-floor gold.

“A lot of people will just wander around. My least favourite pickers are the ones that will follow you around until you get to your patch, so they can pop in and pick, too,” he said.

Other pickers aren’t the only problem. Satellite imagery is often a year or two out of date, and it’s common for Stone to drive far up a logging road in search of a potentially promising spot, only to find it has been recently clear cut. That’s a devastating loss, he said, because the forest likely won’t be healthy enough to produce mushrooms again for at least 80 years. It’s also an issue that better provincial oversight of the industry could help overcome.''

''KNOW YOUR MUSHROOMS follows uber myco visionaries Gary Lincoff and Larry Evans (two of the more expert and unforgettably mercurial characters in the community) as they lead us on a hunt for the wild mushroom and the deeper cultural experiences attached to the mysterious fungi.''

Just wanted a peek into the world of Mushroom picking, fwiw..
''German crime writers love to have mushrooms pickers find a corpse or bones in the forest. Surprisingly enough, this is something that happens in the real world too.''

“I’m a little more new-school, I use technology. Once I find an area that’s producing, I’ll look at satellite imagery, see what the forest looks like and then cross-reference that with topography and elevation,” he said. Then he’ll look for other mountains in the area with similar topography and forest characteristics and go check the area out. But it’s not the only way to go about finding forest-floor gold.

“A lot of people will just wander around. My least favourite pickers are the ones that will follow you around until you get to your patch, so they can pop in and pick, too,” he said.

Other pickers aren’t the only problem. Satellite imagery is often a year or two out of date, and it’s common for Stone to drive far up a logging road in search of a potentially promising spot, only to find it has been recently clear cut. That’s a devastating loss, he said, because the forest likely won’t be healthy enough to produce mushrooms again for at least 80 years. It’s also an issue that better provincial oversight of the industry could help overcome.''

''KNOW YOUR MUSHROOMS follows uber myco visionaries Gary Lincoff and Larry Evans (two of the more expert and unforgettably mercurial characters in the community) as they lead us on a hunt for the wild mushroom and the deeper cultural experiences attached to the mysterious fungi.''
We used to go picking in the prairies with my parents and family but it was for freezing and canning .my family had a spot by the river bank they’d go for white mushrooms lol they’d tell a few friends that spot but they had a spot by their old homestead for morels never told anyone that spot .I really hope they find her alive and well they do a lot of foraging for berries and mushrooms so she knows how to survive out there hopefully she can hold out till help arrives

Aug. 11, 2022 7:33 p.m. CDT

SBM

RCMP say members of the public familiar with the area are welcome to participate in the search in the days to come. Volunteer searchers are asked to check in with the manager at the site to ensure search instructions are followed and for their safety.

lois-chartrand-1-6023460-1660241004348.jpeg

Lois Chartrand is seen dancing with her husband in an undated photo. (Courtesy Barry Legault)

SBM

“We’re throwing everything we have at this,” Logan told APTN News. “We’re using helicopters, we’re using planes, we’re using drones, we’re using people on the ground searching, we’re using forward looking infra-red. “We’re going to continue doing that until we’ve exhausted every effort possible and every day we re-assess.” [snip] The search is centered just south of Evernden Lake, about 30 km northeast of Smeaton, off an ATV trail just east of the Hanson Lake Road. Police were able to speak with Chartrand early on Aug. 5 but say there’s been no contact since.

Lois-Chartrand2-768x432.jpg

Leanne Sanders
Aug 12, 2022

“We’re just not sure where she is. Someone who gets turned around in the bush, I mean if you get turned around and start wandering, you can cover off a lot of distance in a very short time period.”

RCMP said searchers have had to deal with rough terrain, including muskeg, sand, and water, as well as adverse weather conditions. A storm rolled through the region the night Chartrand went missing.

Chartrand’s husband said picking has been one of Chartrand’s favourite activities for years and the family is baffled by her disappearance.

“She was experienced enough in the bush to know how to get out of it,” he said. Why [did this happen]? I don’t know.”

Attachments

• 1660409032417.png
    1660409032417.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members