Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Strangeworld, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiciC

SiciC Well-Known Member

Seems reasonable but if they're out there isolated in the woods in Gillam though, how would they know anything the RCMP is saying in the media? They'd need internet or radio service or something like that to get that information. Unless of course they aren't out in the wilderness or somehow do have access to any of that.
    jmo

2. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

Agree. Now they have infamy. I do think they are dead due to the environment.

Think of Matt Sweat and the other guy who escaped from upper NY prison. They were seasoned criminals and couldn’t survive out there.

3. thebedbug

thebedbug Well-Known Member

Here there is... but if you look in the places where people frequent that are more likely to be among the pool of potential copy cats... you'll see very little mention of this. But - you'll still see daily threads on things like the shooter in NZ or that guy that recently killed the Twitch girl and so on...

Blue Amethyst likes this.
  4. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

Shortwave carries for very long distances.

5. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Well-Known Member

Upstate NY is a walk in the park compared to northern Canada too.

Blue Amethyst, gitana1, LadyL and 7 others like this.
  6. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

ETA: Hmmm.... harsh words or harsh reality?

This reporter has been on location/boots on the ground reporting from day one.

Not aware of Chief Constant citing in the evening hours the fugitives captured -- maybe this was on social media? I recall he referred people to FB.

And finally-- there was no truth to RCMP deployed with "non-working radios." Officer could not reach his radio and fired into the ground.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/lucas-fowler-murder-hunt-
    for-fugitives-kam-mcleod-bryer-schmegelsky-questions-linger-sighting-news-canada/8c183e5e-d8cc-4b21-adfb-badf93dc6f11

AUS 8/2/19

[...]

When I travelled to York Landing the following day while police were still on the ground searching, I spoke to another Bear Clan Patrol volunteer, Danielle McMaster. This was our interview:

AD: How certain was your other volunteer that this was the two suspects?
    DANIELLE: We're not too certain at all, we've just seen two individuals from the back.
    AD: And one was wearing a camouflage shirt?
    DANIELLE: Yes
    AD: How do you guys feel about the sighting?
    DANIELLE: We're pretty excited. We're hoping it's them and we can catch them.

[...]

The narrative sounds slightly different from one account to another. When I was trying to ascertain the exact location of the sighting from the volunteers and the community's Chief Leroy Constant, I heard it described as at the garbage dump, near the garbage dump, rummaging through the garbage dump and between the garbage dump and water treatment plant. Mixed messages can of course happen via Chinese whispers when it comes to witness accounts, but it is worth noting.

Other things don't feel right. When I asked Danielle how she felt about her fellow volunteer possibly spotting these two, she said she felt 'pretty excited'. That is an odd response from someone who believes two suspected triple murderers are in the vicinity. Rattled? Yes. Shocked? Yes. Surprised? Yes. Hopeful of a breakthrough? Absolutely.
    Excited?

The other thing that doesn't smell right is the way the reported sighting was handled by the community's Chief, Leroy Constant. In the evening hours after the sighting was called in, Constant declared that the two fugitives had been captured. That spread inaccurate information like wildfire across social media, even prompting some Australian media to start reporting the incorrect information. It was incorrect, police had not captured McLeod and Schmegelsky. bbm

The Bear Clan Patrol volunteers have a uniform with an emblem and their name on it. Currently, their group has over 375 members who work on a volunteering basis. They describe themselves as "a community-based solution to crime prevention, providing a sense of safety, solidarity and belonging to both its members and to the communities they serve".

From the outside looking in, they appear to be a vigilante group taking social issues into their own hands. When I interviewed Bear Clan Patrol volunteer Wade Taylor, he tells me, "We are there to help the community in Winnipeg in rough areas, we help people who are in trouble and we also stop people who are being aggressive."

The group has somewhat of a political motivation. On their ******** page [***], they explain why they were established.

"Our community recognizes that Indigenous people once had their own territory, language and culture - vibrant and cohesive social, economic and political systems held together by a spiritual worldview and a sacred responsibility to Mother Earth and all of creation ... With consciousness comes awareness, with awareness comes ownership of personal circumstances, and with collaboration comes change. It is within the context of this approach that the Bear Clan Patrol has been mobilized."

And yet despite all the resources thrown into searching York Landing immediately after the tip off, nothing was found. One police officer told me their sniffer dog was on the ground so quickly that afternoon, there is no way the pair wouldn't have been sniffed out if they were indeed in that forest they reportedly ran into. Not only that, they deployed air resources with infrared capabilities to look over the area and saw nothing. It just doesn't make sense. These two suspects can't just disappear into thin air.

As for locals who reported hearing gunshots, I later found out there were only two gunshots fired. They were from a tactical officer's firearm who fired into the ground. He had become separated from his team and he couldn't reach for his radio, so it was his way of communicating to his peers where he was in the bush. bbm

The end result of this promising tip-off was a total letdown. Manitoba police confirmed they can't corroborate the tip, and so they pulled their resources out and went back to the drawing board in Gillam. And now, they're sadly starting to phase out resources from Gillam itself.

There are several explanations for the false alarm in York Landing and I'm not going to spell them out. Whatever happened, every hour counts on the clock when a nationwide manhunt of this importance is underway.

And given it turned out to be nothing, Kam Mcleod and Bryer Schmegelsky are now another 12 hours ahead of the police. If they're alive, that is.

7. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

Bryer bought a suit with his WalMart paycheque.

Blue Amethyst and Andreee like this.
  8. SiciC

SiciC Well-Known Member

I think the "vanished" part is what would be interesting to people with similar ideologies.

Blue Amethyst and tcfpne like this.
  9. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

it is definitely not common up here

ETA: I thought you were referring to Nazi wear but now see you meant camoflauge - still not common but I do see it and it does stand out to me

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Blue Amethyst and musicaljoke like this.
  10. Zella

Zella Well-Known Member

@Seattle1, I question the veracity of the article's claim about Chief Constant. I never remember him spreading rumors or claiming they had been caught. I distinctly remember him trying to combat that rumor and urging people to be vigilant and stay indoors because the rumors were not true. He was posting updates on Facebook page, which were visible to the public and remain so.

Blue Amethyst, otto and dameagatha like this.
  11. tcfpne

tcfpne Well-Known Member

We're talking about it because we're interested, we want to know what happened. The media is talking about because its news, they need to make $$$.
    Otherwise, the crimes aren't anything special or super famous. 3 people are dead and these guys run, its not really anything big or amazing.

How many people are shot dead in Toronto? Hell a shooting happened with suspects running in what was described as "a dark car" just yesterday.

They didn't get much fame or infamy with this stunt. Just "another statistic". Paul Bernardo, Robert Pickton are more famous/infamous.

Especially with all the crime in BC and the Highway of Tears these guys will be forgotten much faster than anyone anticipates.

12. Kiantra

Kiantra Well-Known Member

I agree. I’m waiting for some random foot to wash up on shore somewhere with BS military boot on it. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

cody22, otto, sripey and 3 others like this.
  13. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Well-Known Member

I mean, you could say that of most mass shooters and spree killers. And yet mass shootings and spree killings still keep happening. Clearly whatever infamy they're getting is worth it to these kinds of people. If the killing alone was their only motive, they would have been more strategic about it, like Israel Keyes. They certainly got more fame/infamy then they likely ever would have gotten any other way, and that's probably good enough for them.

webbie, angelainwi, cody22 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dee10

Dee10 Well-Known Member

I find this super interesting. He went missing the day before the RAV4 burned + he's 18 years old. I tried to look up his facebook, but the name is so common + I'm not good at that. I wonder if he was a gamer with them possibly? He may have just taken off, but I think it's worth exploring IMO.

This is a small town, here are the stats: Thompson (Manitoba, Canada) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map, Location, Weather and Web Information

15. JuneBug67

JuneBug67 Well-Known Member

The political and social context of the Bear Clan Patrol is clearly out of reach for this woman. Stick to what you know, Alex.

JaneEyre, LadyL, dameagatha and 2 others like this.
  16. scrappinkat

scrappinkat Well-Known Member

On the paperwork dated July 24 that charges them with second degree murder of the man near Dease Lake the victim is listed as John Doe. Would they list him as John Doe if they knew who he was but hadn’t managed to inform the family?

Blue Amethyst and musicaljoke like this.
  17. CanadianMade

CanadianMade Former Member

Yeah I know What they are charged with.
    If you were trying to steal a car and you hit someone who tried to stand in front thinking it might stop you.
    Probably 2nd degree murder rather than manslaughter as that would not be an accident.

Blue Amethyst and Francie Starr like this.
  18. Carpetchick

Carpetchick Active Member

19. CanadianMade

CanadianMade Former Member

Maybe what they were up was just trying to run away from home.

20. Gipper

Gipper Member

A good powered AM station out of Winnipeg, Montreal or Toronto should also be receivable at night.

Blue Amethyst and cody22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.