https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Strangeworld, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danaya

Danaya Active Member

That's the only thing I can think of to explain why they were found together, unless one succumbed to the elements and the other took his life after. Could also be a murder/suicide. I'm anticipating the autopsy results, wonder how long it'll take to complete.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

AUG 7, 2019

RCMP say they have found two bodies thought to be those of fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod, who are wanted in the deaths of three people in B.C. and the subjects of a massive manhunt that spanned much of Western Canada.

In a news conference Wednesday, Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy, the commanding officer for the Manitoba RCMP, said police had found the bodies eight kilometres from a burned vehicle in northern Manitoba linked to the pair.

“We are confident these are the two suspects,” Assistant Commissioner MacLatchy said in Winnipeg, referring to Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, both of the Vancouver Island community of Port Alberni.

[...]

However, she added autopsies were pending and she could not comment on their cause of death.

She said the bodies were found in “dense terrain" by RCMP members doing a foot search.

“There’s a certain amount of relief we were able to locate these people,” she said, adding she hoped the development would offer “an opportunity to exhale” for residents of the region that has seen a search by police backed by military aircraft.

The assistant commissioner noted that Friday’s discovery of items linked to the suspects that RCMP have yet to describe allowed police searchers to focus in on “high-probability areas” leading to the discovery Wednesday morning of two male bodies in the dense brush, within one kilometre from where the items were found.

She said this was about eight kilometres from where their burnt vehicle was found.

Two bodies thought to be B.C. fugitives found in Northern Manitoba: RCMP

Hraefn, Keane, Lmustang89 and 23 others like this.
  3. Kaley Smith

Kaley Smith Well-Known Member

Removed by me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    superbee, banzai, 1987 and 2 others like this.
  4. SweetBriar

SweetBriar Active Member

First off I’m glad the manhunt is over for the families of the victims.

For those that criticized the RCMP - if you haven’t participated in an actual search in densely wooded conditions- you can’t understand how difficult it can be. I’m impressed they did find them, even though they found bodies, not living fugitives.

I could imagine that they may have been in the boat, went overboard and died due to hypothermia. They would have been found together, given certain conditions. Don’t forget, they may not have had much for food and could’ve been in a weakened state. I don’t know about murder/suicide only for the reason that we haven’t heard of any other victims when they certainly could have murdered again.

Part of me would like to think they didn’t have a peaceful ending, regardless of method.

Finally, I am so appreciative of this forum. What an incredible way for people from all walks of life, from around the world to get together to try to ‘solve’ or at least discuss these horrible events.

5. The Night Watchman

The Night Watchman Well-Known Member

Suicide would be the most logical explanation the bodies were found together.

6. Danaya

Danaya Active Member

Reminds me of the monsters who kill their families or their children before turning the gun on themselves. I wish they would leave the innocent people out of their plans.

7. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Well-Known Member

It could be that one committed suicide after the other died from the elements. As I've been saying I don't think either of them would be psychologically able to continue without the other.

loreet, Hraefn, jpo74 and 32 others like this.
  8. SephF

SephF Active Member

Hats off to the RCMP, they did a good job

9. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Yeah, these two were sticking by each other until the bitter end.

I would have been shocked if they ever separated, or one continued on after losing his partner.

10. SnooperDuper

SnooperDuper Well-Known Member

I think they went out on the river under the cover of darkness, wiped out on the rapids, crawled out of the river in the dark and cold (<10 C, 50 F), wet and separated from all their gear. They made it 1 km away and slowly succumbed to hypothermia overnight.

Hraefn, Sherwood Park, jpo74 and 44 others like this.
  11. merrymary

merrymary Well-Known Member

I originally was going with the elements getting to both of them...but this theory makes more sense....unless, they both died in their sleep. Cold exposure tends to slowly make you drowsy.

jpo74, abr, sallye818 and 10 others like this.
  12. What’s interesting is that if they’d given themselves up they would have gotten life and been famous/notorious. If they died of hypothermia, they must have realised it was inevitable long before it happened. If murder/suicide, it strikes me as a somewhat surprising decision, and raises the question of whether there was a note or notes.

Caveat: If they died of hypothermia in the first 24 hours or so, it’s possible that it snuck up on them and they did not realise how much trouble they were in from the elements.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
    jpo74, Ooohm, PrimeSuspect and 16 others like this.
  13. otto

otto Verified Expert

They were 1km from their personal items, upstream of the rapids and a few km upstream from the boat.

upload_2019-8-7_13-56-9.png

14. Jen-Knee

Jen-Knee Well-Known Member

If it was suicide or murder/suicide, I hope they at least used the same gun as used in the BC murder, just so the victims families get some closure. My guess the items on the shore were their belongings that they had taken with them. I'm curious about what police found in their homes during the searches.

My heart breaks for these two's families. I can't imagine the hell they have been going through and now they have to bury their sons. I also worry about Kam's sister (I believe she is younger but not sure). School starts in a few weeks and kids can be so cruel sometimes. I really hope the community pulls together and supports them.

15. Jen-Knee

Jen-Knee Well-Known Member

16. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Not at all. Only if it was homicide is the cause of death released, IMO. For example, if there were evidence one had killed the other and then himself.

Suicide is almost never released to the public, for obvious reasons. Ben Kilmer was an exception, because so many people believed it was foul play, coroner's office decided to release details to convince the media it was suicide.

However, suicide vs accident aren't a matter of public interest.

However, the family will know and they may decide to share it publicly, or it will just be rumoured around.

IMO it was probably suicide. If they wanted to live, they'd have hidden closer to the river so they could get water. People die of thirst long before they starve. If hypothermia, they wouldn't be together. If animal attack, the trail would be very obvious.

Just my opinion.

cdnjan, janewall, tabitha111 and 5 others like this.
  17. SnooperDuper

SnooperDuper Well-Known Member

I think they got separated from all of their gear including the gun after they wiped out on the river (likely in the cold dark night). They had no easy way of killing themselves, but the sub 10 C (50 F) weather did it for them in hours.

18. SiciC

SiciC Well-Known Member

I'm watching an interview on CBC right now with the owner of the Jade City Jade store in BC, where the suspects went in and got free coffee a couple days after Lucas and Chynna were killed. The owner says they purchased something, I think she said "a little jade bear". I'm trying to look this up but I'm not finding it. I even rewinded to listen to it again and I'm sure shes's saying "jade bear". If that's true, they were purchasing little souvenirs, it wouldn't seem like they were planning a big killing spree or suicide mission. Hmm. None of this makes sense.

Just speculating. I might've completely misheard what she was saying. She definitely said they purchased something little though. lol

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  19. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

That does seem to be the obvious scenario.

They wiped out in the boat, made it to shore, and then walked upriver to the location where the items were found. They then removed wet clothing and walked 1 km into the woods.

Unless, of course, the boat has nothing to do with this.

20. Carpetchick

Carpetchick Active Member

Totally agree that the RCMP were amazing based on the conditions. Amazing they found the bodies. Let’s not guess at how they died.

In the end the whole thing is so so sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.