Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I pointed out to you several threads back, when you had this same debate going, that Google street view shot is 6 years old, so neither you, me , nor anyone else who hasn't been to that store and looked, has any idea whether or not there is a camera there now. And btw, a camera doesn't necessarily have to be a huge box that anyone could spot from the street. High definition cameras can be tiny now, and fit inconspicuously into almost anything, including a door frame. JMO

Agreed. I don’t have the link to the security video handy right now, but if you look carefully in the video (not the stills) you can see reflected in the glass doors as they swing open/closed what appears to be a propane tank cage for cylinder exchanges. I suspect that’s where the camera is mounted. It’s becoming more common to place a camera there, especially if the store is not open 24 hours, and it would be about the right height. You get vid of those who approach the tank cage and, in this case, perhaps, vid of the store entrance/exit too.

Also, given that many fuel dispensers now have integrated HD video screens, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that some also have integrated cameras (like an ATM machine). So that’s another eye-level possibility. HD cameras are cheap these days, but I’ve been out of the fuel service technology business for 4 years now so I really can’t say for sure.

MOO.

Retailers search for cylinder theft solutions

Just an FYI, here's the screenshots I was talking about. I used the relative placement of their shoulders as the basis and drew lines to demonstrate. BS's shoulders compared to the door are a good 4 inches above KM's.

Source of screenshots:

I think BS was a legit 6'4"--he always looks ginormous height-wise in every single picture I have seen, despite his very skinny frame--and KM was more like 6'0".
Do the same thing, but with their right (our left) shoulders against the ceiling lights as they're walking out, at the same spot for both. :)

Last edited:
I didn't think of sleeping bags, and don't recall anyone else talking about sleeping bags.

In future fugitive cases, we will assume they have sleeping bags, and could be simply hiding in the bushes, not too far from last sighting.

The RCMP said they have significant evidence linking the two suspects to each of the murders. Some of it is forensic in nature and once it is processed they may have more details to share. Also, they were in fact seen in the RAV4. That one guy helped them get unstuck and the Reservation Police stopped them as well. Do you think they are all in on framing them as well?

I do agree that this case is incredibly strange and tragic.
(agree with your post steelybird this is more directed @Shlock Homes )
Yes, furthermore the RCMP today confirmed the Rav4 was owned by Mr. Dyck, again they also confirmed there is no '3rd' person and no evidence to support that. When they were stuck in Cold Lake, they were still listed as "Missing" not Murder Suspects, the police were verifying Mr. Dyck's vehicle while notifying his loved ones he was murdered, also, it's safe to assume the two killers took all his identification and all identification from Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, the only thing they didn't take of Chynna's was her passport which has been verified to have been "well hidden". When the 2 killers were in Cold Lake, the RCMP did not know where they were at that point either - the man reported it the next day. Once police had the vehicle make, model likely from family they sent the bulletins out to police across the western provinces. There is no 'weirdness' in what the rcmp did or had delayed - some things take time and one of the first priorities was to notify next of kin of 3 people their loved ones were dead.

Melissa Tait‏Verified account @meltait
The area of the Nelson River that is in the “general vicinity” of where the bodies of B.C. triple murder suspects Bryer Schmegelsky & Kam Mcleod were found by RCMP in MB. The area is dense bush and mist - can’t see any police activity. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-two-bodies-thought-to-be-bc-fugitives-found-in-northern-manitoba/ … #canadamanhunt

EBZz5yaXoAAu0Gg.jpg

EBZz5yUWsAAsnpK.jpg

EBZz5ymXUAAh6BC.jpg

4:14 PM - 7 Aug 2019 from Gillam, Manitoba pt

Thank you for posting these.

The location these photos were taken from is downstream of Lower Limestone Rapids (which are visible in the top shot). This is the area the boat was reportedly found in.

My very strong hunch at this point is that there's been a bit of confusion as the the distance to the car and the linked items. My guess is that someone looked at a map, guessed the distance, and hence said "approximate". They're only off by a km or so if the bodies and linked items were just below the rapids (I get 10.8 km from the point on the north shore at the foot to the rapids to the burn site).

This explains a lot; I was wondering how on earth the items, and them, could be above the rapids.

Anyone have any idea how cold it got the night the RAV burned?

Edit; bad wording on my part; the rapids are visible in all 3 shots, and the second shot shows the point I mentioned.

The screenshots of the video from the Co-op store in meadow lake were shared on July 23rd with the public, 2 days after they were recorded walking out of the store. There isn't a surveillance camera in front of the store at waist level. So who video recorded them (when they weren't listed as suspects at the time), and then shared it with the police?
Two teens thought to be missing now suspects in three northern B.C. deaths
ummmm there are security cameras in the parking lot aimed at the entry/exit doors for shoplifters (and in this case happened to be 2 killers)

From your link -
“He knew the sleeping bag could be significant because he was one of handful of local residents who had been helping the RCMP scour the river and shoreline for any sign of fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod.”
Clint Sawchuk essentially resolved this manhunt with just his sharp eyes. No fancy tools.

Yes i agree. Even if they are able to identify someone by looking at them they need concrete proof. This is an open an ongoing investigation . Everything has to be done by the book. In my opinion if the bodies were so bad off that they couldn’t visually recognize them they wouldn’t have said they are confident it is them .

willing to bet that they are in the same clothing as in all the pictures, no matter what condition it or their bodies are in

They probably wouldn't be found together if they went overboard.

I agree, that’d be unlikely. But as has already been mentioned, it’s possible they bailed out of the boat when they noticed treacherous waters ahead and managed to make it ashore and crawl into the bush, exhaustion and then hypothermia set in.

(agree with your post steelybird this is more directed @Shlock Homes )
Yes, furthermore the RCMP today confirmed the Rav4 was owned by Mr. Dyck, again they also confirmed there is no '3rd' person and no evidence to support that. When they were stuck in Cold Lake, they were still listed as "Missing" not Murder Suspects, the police were verifying Mr. Dyck's vehicle while notifying his loved ones he was murdered, also, it's safe to assume the two killers took all his identification and all identification from Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, the only thing they didn't take of Chynna's was her passport which has been verified to have been "well hidden". When the 2 killers were in Cold Lake, the RCMP did not know where they were at that point either - the man reported it the next day. Once police had the vehicle make, model likely from family they sent the bulletins out to police across the western provinces. There is no 'weirdness' in what the rcmp did or had delayed - some things take time and one of the first priorities was to notify next of kin of 3 people their loved ones were dead.

Disagree on one point, and that was the delay in telling the public that that two people had been shot to death.

It’s my lone criticism here, as everything else has been stellar.

With a crime scene like that, you know that it is highly probable that there is a killer on the loose, and he is unknown to the victims.

This isn’t a stretch, and I can’t believe they did not know that at the time.

This is the most dangerous type of killer, because he kills at random, striking vulnerable victims of opportunity.

In the end, it did not matter. But this is something that everyone needs to learn from.

So many flies/bugs!

That is a great video! They said they were about 6 kms from where suspects bodies found. The local man with the reporter said "we're at Uncle Frank's cabin, across from (spy robin ?)" I'm guessing they were on the left side of the river, north-east of where bodies found. There are fairly steep and tall slopes right there - I wonder of there are old mining tunnels, dugouts, etc, in that general area?

Just an FYI, here's the screenshots I was talking about. I used the relative placement of their shoulders as the basis and drew lines to demonstrate. BS's shoulders compared to the door are a good 4 inches above KM's.

Source of screenshots:

I think BS was a legit 6'4"--he always looks ginormous height-wise in every single picture I have seen, despite his very skinny frame--and KM was more like 6'0".

unless BS was still growing and KM was 6'4" and BS was 6"7"... is KM's height on his driver's license?

Clint Sawchuk essentially resolved this manhunt with just his sharp eyes. No fancy tools.

Yes, he did. Amazing, and it shows what a sharp local can do; someone who really knows the river. Spotting that sleeping bag in shore willows down near Port Nelson (the river mouth) was the key, it seems. I've been reading about the tours he runs (I was looking into York Factory and Port Nelson a few days ago, saw his tour info.). It was enough to convince me that the York Factory tour he runs is well worth doing. I'm now thinking of giving it a try in the spring.

unless BS was still growing and KM was 6'4" and BS was 6"7"... is KM's height on his driver's license?
You know, I hadn't considered that, but it would make sense.

I wonder how tall BS's dad was. Pics from 3 years ago when BS was 16 shows him a few inches taller already than his dad. His father looked at least average height to me.

Edited to add: If that bottom part of that red thingy on the door starts at 5', I think you might be right, @acutename. BS would be well over 6'6" in that case, and KM would plausibly be 6'3"/6'4".

All MOO

Last edited:
...but probably not together

I think it would be more likely to be together actually. I can’t imagine them going through all this and then suddenly not helping each other, whether they were on the shore or in the boat before heading for the bush where they were ultimately found. I think together until the end would have been their mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire